Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Fulham?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.5%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (9.1%)
      James Milner
      6 (9.1%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.5%)
      Darwin Núñez
      49 (74.2%)
      Fábio Carvalho
      1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: Aug 10, 2022 02:25:18 pm

Fulham 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 17999 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Fulham 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Aug 06, 2022 08:52:41 pm
      80 odd million for him ? No thanks. Really is pretty average.

a bang avg player hyped up by English media
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,609 posts | 3914 
      Reply #438: Aug 06, 2022 09:07:39 pm
      a bang avg player hyped up by English media

Nah come on, he’s superb
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4985 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #439: Aug 06, 2022 09:11:10 pm
      I’m sat here in disbelief, disbelief at some of the comments/ statements above, IT WAS THE FIRST f***in GAME FFS, no we didn’t perform as we should and in our usual 8/10 performance would probably have won, I’ve read most of the crap above and apart from maybe one or two,  failed to mention how good Fulham were,

They,  just like Brentford last season played us at our own game and with a bit more composure should have won it, and deservedly so, we drew that game not because we were under par, we drew it because Fulham pulled our pants down and laughed at the lack of bollocks all over the pitch, if anything Fulham should feel more aggrieved dropping two than we do with our solitary point,

Three months ago we played arguably the best midfield three in European football in a CL final, yet today some of you want changes to that same midfield because the performance levels were under par, as was the other eight starters, PISS POOR is a more accurate description tbf, I don’t think any of us expected a 100% out of our boys, but we did expect a far better display than what we saw,

For me it was one of those days where we just weren’t in it, it happens, just so happens it was the first game, I’ve already drawn a line under it and put it down simply as a bad day at the office, it will happen again for sure, law of averages tells you that, nobody knows when of course just like nobody seen this performance coming, nor did anyone see how good Fulham were going to be or that they would take us on at our own game and outplay us, 

For me full credit goes to Fulham, they showed more heart and desire than we did, and more than deserved their point, and probably should have won if we’re all honest.

Y  N  W  A
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,207 posts | 1211 
      Reply #440: Aug 06, 2022 09:11:26 pm
      Disappointing performance bar the impact of Darwin who surely will be fast tracked to first choice more speedily than we might previously have expected.

We really let our standards drop and the manager is rightly furious about that at this early stage in the season. When everyone thinks it is going to be a walkover it can sometimes be a spur to the opposition and I think that's how it proved today.

This was 1st game of the new season for a newly promoted side who won the EFL last year, home crowd, sunny day out,.you have to be at your game and it frustrates me that we weren't. Sometimes it's not individual performances that cost you but the collective attitude of the players.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #441: Aug 06, 2022 09:24:12 pm
      Crazy the standards we and city have set over the past few years to the point a draw now feels like a loss. But in reality, first game of the season away from home against a newly promoted team who were well up for it, coming from behind (twice) and salvaging a point when you don’t play well is actually pretty sound.

It was one of those games where before kick off you expect three points but the way the game went I was quite happy to take a draw. It’s what champions and top teams are made of and I actually thought we were going to nick it at the end.

Taking about the game itself though, there’s no getting away from the fact that we were very poor today, mixed with Fulham playing extremely well (for their level) I thought. You can carry one, maybe two, but you can’t carry 7 or 8 players.

Ali - had little to do but should have done better for their opener.

Trent - constantly defend the myth that he can’t defend but he doesn’t help himself sometimes with shockers like that today. He was all over the place and offered nothing going forward either.

Matip - thought he was one of few who had a good game today. Did little wrong but wanted him to get a bit more physical with mitrovic who bullied our back line today.

Vvd - poor and a sloppy penalty to concede too. He has definitely lost a yard of pace since his nasty injury at the blueshite too.

Robbo - thought he defended better than what trent did but he was also poor going forward. Found himself in some good positions, especially first half, but his final ball was dire.

Fabinho - arguably his worst performance for us and it’s frustrating because it’s games like today where we need him most to get a grip of the game and win the midfield battle. When Fabinho plays well (most of the time) then we win. Simple as that. But when he has an off day like today then bloody hell you don’t half notice it.

Henderson - thought he was terrible. I’ve said for years that he hides behind our defence and attack. When either the defence or attack (in today’s case it was both), don't perform then we need a lot more from our captain. He has to take more responsibility and get a grip of the game.

Thiago - gave the ball away cheaply on more than one occasion but I thought he was the best of a bad bunch. At least I noticed him on the pitch unlike the other two. Hope his injury isn’t serious because we desperately need him in our 11.

Diaz - surprised to see people giving him praise because I thought their right back bullied and had him in his back pocket all game. Only thing he did was score a disallowed goal which everybody knew it was offside anyway.

Bobby - sh*te. He was finished 18 months ago if not longer.

Salah - not involved at all but still managed an assist and a goal.

Darwin - He looked a little bit clumsy to me. Fortunate with both his goal and assist and his first touch isn’t great. However he really impacted the game and we looked far better when he came on. Put himself about, won challenges, worked hard, caused problems. There’s definitely a player in him I just think he’s a little rough around the edges.

Milner - he was arguably our best player and was on the pitch for about 20 minutes if that. Says it all really. But fair play to Milner, always gives 100% and if all our players had his attitude today we wouldn’t have dropped points.

Elliott - thought he did well when he came on today too. Just little things like some nice touches, forward thinking when he had the ball. He was at least trying to make things happen and create openings.

Carvalho - didn’t have enough time to impact the game, didn’t see too much of him.

We obviously can’t afford too many of these results but I’m sure klopp has fired a rocket up their arses after that and we will be a different animal against palace. It might be a good thing for our next upcoming fixtures.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #442: Aug 06, 2022 09:44:21 pm
      I’m sat here in disbelief, disbelief at some of the comments/ statements above, IT WAS THE FIRST f***in GAME FFS, no we didn’t perform as we should and in our usual 8/10 performance would probably have won, I’ve read most of the crap above and apart from maybe one or two,  failed to mention how good Fulham were,

They,  just like Brentford last season played us at our own game and with a bit more composure should have won it, and deservedly so, we drew that game not because we were under par, we drew it because Fulham pulled our pants down and laughed at the lack of bollocks all over the pitch, if anything Fulham should feel more aggrieved dropping two than we do with our solitary point,

Three months ago we played arguably the best midfield three in European football in a CL final, yet today some of you want changes to that same midfield because the performance levels were under par, as was the other eight starters, PISS POOR is a more accurate description tbf, I don’t think any of us expected a 100% out of our boys, but we did expect a far better display than what we saw,

For me it was one of those days where we just weren’t in it, it happens, just so happens it was the first game, I’ve already drawn a line under it and put it down simply as a bad day at the office, it will happen again for sure, law of averages tells you that, nobody knows when of course just like nobody seen this performance coming, nor did anyone see how good Fulham were going to be or that they would take us on at our own game and outplay us, 

For me full credit goes to Fulham, they showed more heart and desire than we did, and more than deserved their point, and probably should have won if we’re all honest.

Y  N  W  A

Maybe you haven’t seen Klopp’s comments then because he hasn’t said anything any different. He’s said it was a rubbish performance, the wrong attitude etc that he doesn’t expect to see again, a really bad game, his frustration is a 12 out of 10. All the comments about how bad the team were today are completely justified.

Today was the first time I’ve seen a Klopp interview like that so that goes to show just how bad they were today.

People kiss the arses of players when they play like they did last week and whether it was the first game of the season or not, people are allowed to slate them instead of just sitting up on a high horse trying to make excuses. And FWIW, that’s why you have a pre-season; to get you ready for the actual season!

Klopp said he couldn’t understand how the lads played so well last week against City but such a rubbish game today.

If you dont want to criticise the team then fair enough, not got a problem with that at all, it’s your choice. But don’t come on here telling people their views are crap etc after we’ve just witnessed arguably the worst performance we’ve had in years and when a lot of people are rightly frustrated. It doesn’t make anyone any less of a supporter by having a go at the players for not being good enough, it’s not the end of the world, they get enough praise over the course of the season.

There is obviously one certain member that I think your post probably does apply to, I don’t think I’ve seen that member do anything other than criticise since the day he signed up, but mate, you’ve been on here long enough to know that when there’s posts like there are today it’s down to frustration and nothing more.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2022 10:00:01 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,232 posts | 744 
      Reply #443: Aug 06, 2022 10:03:11 pm
      Maybe you haven’t seen Klopp’s comments then because he hasn’t said anything any different. He’s said it was a rubbish performance, the wrong attitude etc that he doesn’t expect to see again, a really bad game, his frustration is a 12 out of 10. All the comments about how bad the team were today are completely justified.

Today was the first time I’ve seen a Klopp interview like that so that goes to show just how bad they were today.

People kiss the arses of players when they play like they did last week and whether it was the first game of the season or not, people are allowed to slate them instead of just sitting up on a high horse trying to make excuses. And FWIW, that’s why you have a pre-season; to get you ready for the actual season!

Klopp said he couldn’t understand how the lads played so well last week against City but such a rubbish game today.

If you dont want to criticise the team then fair enough, not got a problem with that at all, it’s your choice. But don’t come on here telling people their views are crap etc after we’ve just witnessed arguably the worst performance we’ve had in years and when a lot of people are rightly frustrated. It doesn’t make anyone any less of a supporter by having a go at the players for not being good enough, it’s not the end of the world, they get enough praise over the course of the season.
      Spot on ....Today they stank...The attitude/application stank and that's why some come on here and say it how they saw it. That's where the frustration comes from. Next week we might be fantastic and we'll all be praising the sh*t out of them.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #444: Aug 06, 2022 10:13:26 pm
      Didn't see the game as I had to work.

Should have won this one and if Jürgen is openly criticising the boys then they haven't been good enough.

It happens. It shouldn't happen but it does and it's all about how we move on from here.

Agree with a lot of what 7KK7 said above, it's ok to criticise these lads once and a while if they deserve it but also you can qualify it with saying it's only one game. It's only a one off though if we go on a run from here so let's hope lessons learned and all that.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2022 10:19:09 pm by srslfc »
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #445: Aug 06, 2022 10:14:16 pm

We were sh*t -- no argument.  Klopp even said if we had won (which we could have if the referee's decisions hadn't gone against for both of their goals) it could have been worse than dropping points and not learning from the mistakes we made today, which were abundant clear for all to see.  Truth be told, we were shockingly bad, but its only 1 game.  We will improve. 

The more I've had time to digest today's match and put it into context with how last season went, I am jumping to a few knee-jerk conclusions that I think might actually stick. 

• Nunez is better and more ready to lead the line than i was expecting.  We look a different and more dangerous threat when he is playing.  He is a starter from here forwad in my opinion. 
      • Following the theme of point #1, Bobby looks past it.  He was sub-par for most of last season and he was completelymissing today.  I think Bobby will be a super-sub and cup player for the rest of his LFC career.
      • When Jota returns to fitness we need to find a way to get him on the field regularly.  I think with a genuine #9 (Darwin) leading the line, we can play more of a 4-2-3-1 with a trio of attacking mids / wingers / wide forwards supporting.  I think Jota, Salah, and Diaz will be the ideal 3 in behind.
      • Related to comment #3, we look a little thin at CM, especially after Thiago's injury today.  Going with a 2 CM (double pivot) would allow us to rely less on the quality and depth of our CM's.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #446: Aug 06, 2022 10:20:19 pm
      We were sh*t -- no argument.  Klopp even said if we had won (which we could have if the referee's decisions hadn't gone against for both of their goals) it could have been worse than dropping points and not learning from the mistakes we made today, which were abundant clear for all to see.  Truth be told, we were shockingly bad, but its only 1 game.  We will improve. 

The more I've had time to digest today's match and put it into context with how last season went, I am jumping to a few knee-jerk conclusions that I think might actually stick. 

• Nunez is better and more ready to lead the line than i was expecting.  We look a different and more dangerous threat when he is playing.  He is a starter from here forwad in my opinion. 
      • Following the theme of point #1, Bobby looks past it.  He was sub-par for most of last season and he was completelymissing today.  I think Bobby will be a super-sub and cup player for the rest of his LFC career.
      • When Jota returns to fitness we need to find a way to get him on the field regularly.  I think with a genuine #9 (Darwin) leading the line, we can play more of a 4-2-3-1 with a trio of attacking mids / wingers / wide forwards supporting.  I think Jota, Salah, and Diaz will be the ideal 3 in behind.
      • Related to comment #3, we look a little thin at CM, especially after Thiago's injury today.  Going with a 2 CM (double pivot) would allow us to rely less on the quality and depth of our CM's.

Looking at our squad this season and it screams 4 2 3 1 to me as well.

Agree on Firmino as well. Love the lad but I think this season will see him drift more and more from being a nailed on starter for us.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #447: Aug 06, 2022 10:28:51 pm
      I think Jürgen and these lads have a lot of credit in the bank and as Jürgen said it was not their intention to have a bad game.
      bad performance for sure but its a ground we always seem to struggle a bit at. I won't be righting of the season just yet.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,358 posts | 1028 
      Reply #448: Aug 06, 2022 11:11:01 pm

There is obviously one certain member that I think your post probably does apply to, I don’t think I’ve seen that member do anything other than criticise since the day he signed up, but mate, you’ve been on here long enough to know that when there’s posts like there are today it’s down to frustration and nothing more.
      Worth remembering it was Fulham’s first game as well. Tottenham’s first game, Arsenal’s first game, Chelsea’s first game… We should have been ready whether it was the first game or not, simple fact of the matter is we weren’t good enough today.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,358 posts | 1028 
      Reply #449: Aug 06, 2022 11:28:33 pm
      Darwin - He looked a little bit clumsy to me. Fortunate with both his goal and assist and his first touch isn’t great. However he really impacted the game and we looked far better when he came on. Put himself about, won challenges, worked hard, caused problems. There’s definitely a player in him I just think he’s a little rough around the edges.
      Agreed, this is what I was getting at earlier. He got on the scoresheet today which was great but think it got him off the hook. As well as the shot/pass effort that he should have buried and the poor touches, there was a couple of occasions when we needed him to hold up play but he was caught on his heels or waiting for the ball and getting pipped to it. Think Hendo had a go at him after a couple of times. Almost everyone had a poor game today and at least he had a couple of bright moments but I’m not getting carried away, he needs to get a lot better at the basics before we can expect him to lead the line.

Milner - he was arguably our best player and was on the pitch for about 20 minutes if that. Says it all really. But fair play to Milner, always gives 100% and if all our players had his attitude today we wouldn’t have dropped points.
      Also agreed. Find it strange that not a lot of people seen this, thought he was significantly better than anyone else in red.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,149 posts | 1090 
      Reply #450: Aug 07, 2022 12:28:28 am
      To your point above, I agree. Darwin isn't the smoothest by no means, but he seems to be effective. Of all the goals he's scored in preseason, Charity Shield, and today, none of them come to memory as elegant or smooth. And ill be honest l, I don't give a F**k either. Dude creates a ton chances, so I'm fine with quanity over quality if it means we're scoring.

Biggest thing is we better with him on the pitch. He changes the whole dynamic every time he comes in.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #451: Aug 07, 2022 12:38:48 am
      To reiterate Jürgen's post-match comment: "We played a really bad game and get a point, so that's all a truth as well. But playing the way we played is not how we should play and that’s why my frustration about that is pretty high."
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,105 posts | 83 
      Reply #452: Aug 07, 2022 01:13:58 am
      To reiterate: The problem is not we had a bad game, the problem is that we should have won despite having a bad game bc we are milehigh superior to Fulhams talent pool. That very point makes it troublesome. The next weeks will shed light on this issue.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,394 posts | 3398 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #453: Aug 07, 2022 01:20:32 am
      Think people seeing milly doing really well when he came on as some sort of indictment of the team is a bit wrong headed. Yes he's 36 but he's still one of the fittest at the club and is good enough to.make valuable contributions. We should celebrate that fact.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #454: Aug 07, 2022 03:31:50 am
      To your point above, I agree. Darwin isn't the smoothest by no means, but he seems to be effective. Of all the goals he's scored in preseason, Charity Shield, and today, none of them come to memory as elegant or smooth. And ill be honest l, I don't give a f**k either. Dude creates a ton chances, so I'm fine with quanity over quality if it means we're scoring.

Biggest thing is we better with him on the pitch. He changes the whole dynamic every time he comes in.

Honestly, this reminds me a bit of Salah when he first signed with us.  People loved to say he wasn't clinical enough -- he needed many chances to score the goals he did -- but he had a knack for getting himself in the right place at the right time to get the chances.  Darwin has that same ability -- he is able to find space and put himself in a position to score goals.  That paired with his height, strength, speed, and general athleticism and I think he's due to score a F**k ton of goals for us!! 
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,149 posts | 1090 
      Reply #455: Aug 07, 2022 07:05:11 am
      Honestly, this reminds me a bit of Salah when he first signed with us.  People loved to say he wasn't clinical enough -- he needed many chances to score the goals he did -- but he had a knack for getting himself in the right place at the right time to get the chances.  Darwin has that same ability -- he is able to find space and put himself in a position to score goals.  That paired with his height, strength, speed, and general athleticism and I think he's due to score a f**k ton of goals for us!!
      Exactly 💯
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4985 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #456: Aug 07, 2022 08:13:55 am

Fair points you make mate, fairy muff, I think we are all frustrated regarding our lack lustre performance, perhaps I should ease off being so critical, however, I do still think that there is over reaction in wanting our midfield scrapping because of one bad day at the office, it’s abundantly clear we were way under par and arguably our worse performance since Jürgen took the helm, I didn’t see the post match interview with Jürgen, this was simply my take on the game itself, our inept performance and my reaction to some stupid comments,
      I expect to see a completely different approach from our boys next outing Vs Palace, not saying we should be battering them 5 or 6 nil, but somewhere near what we regard as normal, Hammantheman is spot on, standards being set as high as they have, we expect it every time we cross the whitewash, but where does that end, do we keep raising the bar each and every season and then expect to perform at that level every week again?

Moving on, I doubt we will see such a poor performance again this season, so positively it’s good to get the real bad one out of the way early, we won’t be 100% each and every game we play in but we should be as near as damn it, already looking forward to Palace at home next Monday.

IMAGINE BEING US !!!

Y  N  W  A

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #457: Aug 07, 2022 08:57:30 am
      Player's and manager all said not good enough.  Fair doos.

Will be much much better next week.

Some of the crap I'm seeing on twitter though, jeezo,  leagues over, dump hendo and Bobby etc. Etc. So much hate. :(
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,490 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #458: Aug 07, 2022 09:21:32 am

Supporters praise their team when they win, and criticise them when they lose. That's just the nature of football fans. Always has been always will be. 

I also don't agree with the, "it's only the first game of the season" thinking, either. Absolutely the players are not going to be at 100%; it takes about half a dozen games before players start showing their true potential. But what can be said of Liverpool can be said of Fulham - it was their first game of the season too, they also weren't at 100% performance, and yet they floored us. 2-2 flattered us.

I'm wondering why our performance dipped so much after the very good Community Shield performance only six days earlier. I think it's a mixture of things. Apparently, Pep doesn't like long pre-seasons so they play a couple of games less than other teams (apparently). So there's that; City do not have as long a pre-season as we or other teams do. And let's be honest, City did look off the pace a bit.

That's not taking anything away from our performance though. We were very good against City. So for me, yesterday's abject performance was a mixture of Fulham being more "up for it" (first Prem game, home crowd, playing one of the best teams in the world), and complacency by our lads. A sloppy mindset cost us all three points and for the first time in his tenure, I thought Klopp was at a loss, and looked a bit stunned at times, due to the display he was seeing out there. I can empathise.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,314 posts | 2810 
      Reply #459: Aug 07, 2022 09:23:13 am
      Awful day at the office yesterday. Fulham caught us out with their intensity for the first 60 minutes and thoroughly deserved to be ahead. We couldn’t react on the pitch at all which was disappointing.

Jürgen clearly frustrated but one to learn for him as well. Nunez might still be settling in and he might have some bad games but it’s clear we are a much bigger threat with him on the pitch than Bobby so he should have played. Maybe if Jota was fit there could be a bigger case to ease him in but not now.

Midfield has become an issue again with the Thiago injury but we knew it was coming. Think it’s daft not to have strengthened there given the area probably cost us the league last season but it is what it is.

Quick Reply