Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Fulham?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.5%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (9.1%)
      James Milner
      6 (9.1%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.5%)
      Darwin Núñez
      49 (74.2%)
      Fábio Carvalho
      1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: Aug 10, 2022 02:25:18 pm

Fulham 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 17458 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Fulham 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Aug 07, 2022 09:35:23 am
      I think Klopp should start looking for a loanee midfielder. I've heard said we have depth in midfield but I'm not so sure.

Keita - injury prone
      Thiago - injury prone and injured
      Ox - injury prone and injured
      Jones - injury pone and injured
      Milly - 37 years of age and won't do it for 40 odd games
      Carvalho - Flexible, but still only 19 and too young
      Elliot - 19 and too young
      Henderson - weak going forward and losing his intensity
      Fabinho - doesn't play in the position we need to bolster
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #461: Aug 07, 2022 09:52:25 am
      we need new midfielders or we will end in 19/20 season repeat. midfield cost us last year and this year will be same.

you cant rely on injury prone players and we have to many: ox,keita,thiago....

cheaky bid for gallagher?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #462: Aug 07, 2022 12:07:25 pm
      Kieta is not injured FYI. he was sick with a bug or something.

tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #463: Aug 07, 2022 12:20:48 pm
      yes today is sick, tomorrow he will be injured.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #464: Aug 07, 2022 12:24:14 pm
      we need new midfielders or we will end in 19/20 season repeat. midfield cost us last year and this year will be same.

you cant rely on injury prone players and we have to many: ox,keita,thiago....

cheaky bid for gallagher?
      Everton not getting "That" penalty cost us
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #465: Aug 07, 2022 12:38:20 pm
      Kind of thought we were going to win no matter the score as I'm sure most the players did too.

These type of results happen, what we need to do now is make sure it doesn't happen again, get out the sh*te turnarounds nice and early.

I would like to see Gomez be given a fair shot at RB this season if Trent's form starts to dip. All in all was a sh*te performance but Nunez and Salah were positives.

If Thiago's injury is long term I do feel we will need to back into the market for a midfielder.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #466: Aug 07, 2022 12:44:43 pm
      Agree with everything bar the penalty decision, but we can view that differently.  What I will say is that if you believe it was enough contact to justify a pen, then there was enough contact on Hendo to justify a foul being called which would have ruled out there first goal.  It's one or the other, but not both.  Regardless of how poor we played, looking at it solely through the lens of the chances each team took and the refereeing decisions, it's hard not to feel cheated out of 2 points today....

I thought it was a foul of Henderson before their first goal, same way it was on Origi before United scored in 2019. And we didn't get the decision that day either. But in terms of the penalty, it was a soft one but still a pen as far as I'm concerned. It's a clash of knees, accidental or not, it's enough for Mitrovic to go down. And had it been the other end, we'd be screaming for a penalty.

I still think if Van Dijk had been more aggressive earlier on in the attack, it wouldn't have got to the box in the first place. The running off towards our goal just annoys the F**k out of me - especially from a defender with Virgil's pace. If a forward wants to go past him then they'd have to knock it past him and there's no way Mitrovic is outpacing Van Dijk in a foot race. But running backwards and allowing Mitrovic to carry the ball then missing the ball when he does decide to throw a foot in, causes the penalty.

I agree with those who said the ref was very quick to give the decision but I can understand why he did. It looked a foul and he'd been getting pelted by the Fulham fans for most of the game for giving us favourable decisions, so he's obviously been intimidated by the home support. He didn't have a good game but I still think the penalty was the correct decision.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #467: Aug 07, 2022 01:12:14 pm
      after the last 4 years winning everything possible Klopp is still questioned by people and by the Media its embarrassing really. He has a plan for the season which is a unique one due to the WC in the middle of the season.
      As far as I can remember we have always had the odd struggle with so called lesser teams as we are not 100% but they give 110%.
      People used to wait 10 games to judge how are season would unfold now it seems 10 mins is enough to start sticking the knife in.
      I doubt you would find any Liverpool supporter happy with Yesterday but lets give Jürgen the credit he deserves and may I add RESPECT.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #468: Aug 07, 2022 01:39:18 pm
      still think if Van Dijk had been more aggressive earlier on in the attack, it wouldn't have got to the box in the first place. The running off towards our goal just annoys the f**k out of me - especially from a defender with Virgil's pace. If a forward wants to go past him then they'd have to knock it past him and there's no way Mitrovic is outpacing Van Dijk in a foot race. But running backwards and allowing Mitrovic to carry the ball then missing the ball when he does decide to throw a foot in, causes the penalty.

Agreed. However the attack from Fulham started after a piss poor pass from Matip, who was under no pressure, passing it straight to a Fulham player
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #469: Aug 07, 2022 02:35:16 pm
      Can someone tell me how bad Firmino was yesterday? I unfortunately could not watch the first half and he was pretty much subbed in the first 5 minutes of the second half so I couldn't really watch him.

The reason I ask this is because I think a lot of us are making an incorrect diagnosis when it comes to some of the problems we encounter during a game, namely, the lack of creativity through the middle and our wingers being pinned to the sideline and feeling ineffective. Let me explain myself. Our 4-3-3 system heavily relies on the role of the false 9. He has to drop deep, execute smart movements with and without the ball and basically pull players from the oppositions midfield and defensive line towards him. The net result of all that is that you bend out of shape the midfield and more importantly the back line of the opposition making it harder, for example, for the left-back to stay put on Salah's shoulder when his CB was pulled out of position (even slightly) and now there's a gaping hole somebody has to account for in their defence. The same can be said about the oppositions midfielders because, naturally, one of the 3 or 4 players in that line has to take care of that number 9 dropping deeper.

With that said, what happens when this is not done properly? The opposition's back-line can stay very rigid with both full-backs marking our wingers with the help of one of their midfielders and their wingers obviously coming back to help with that task. On top of that, the central players in their midfield stay relatively unbothered and that's when you start feeling like a Thiago is not giving you enough creativity because not only are his main targets (the wingers) pinned to the touchline with not a lot of space to run into those central areas and receive a pass, but he's also pressed much more efficiently. Our full-backs usually do a good job of unlocking those types of situation by giving us creativity from the flanks, but sometimes its just not enough. People put a lot of the blame on someone like Hendo, but the truth is that Hendo was never a creative player. His main creative weapon is to run into the half-space that our false nine helped empty and deliver crosses. When you take that away from Hendo he'll still deliver on the press, winning back the ball and safely recycling it. If you put him at CDM he'll also give you a decent performance, but put him at LCM or RCM and create 0 space for him to run into and you'll be disappointed (the same can be said about OX and other midfielders who get their creativity from their speed with the ball at feet and running in very straight lines in the half spaces).

The solution to that, in my opinion, lies in Fabio and Elliott. I don't meant that we are going to throw a couple of 18yo on the pitch and they will take care of our creativity problems through the middle. That would be naive. I think Elliott or Fabio have to start alongside Fabinho and Thiago in midfield. There would be a slight change in the shape of our 4-3-3 into something of a 4-2-3-1 when the ball is at our feet. If it's Elliott then he would slightly drift centrally into a CAM or RAM and start giving us what Firmino has been struggling to give us recently which is to attract some bodies from the opposition's backline  and midfield. I don't expect Harvey or Fabio to suddenly become Ronaldinho and create a ton of things from that hole, the goal would be for them to keep the ball, make simple passes and more importantly attract people to them. Fabinho and Thiago would naturally sit a bit deeper and space would be created for our wingers to run into. Obviously this means that our starting number nine would be Nunez rather than Firmino.

Anyway, that was my take on the problems we face whenever Firmino is not having a good game. Disappointed to start the season with a draw against a newly promoted side, but all we can do is look forward to the next game and try to fix our problems by then.

P.S. I loved Milner yesterday. Came on and just took matters into his own hands. He was everywhere.

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #470: Aug 07, 2022 05:31:32 pm
      Same old problems, no leadership and creativity in midfield and when we're under rpessure, taht's what you need from midfield. It was clear Robertson and TAA would not be the usual threats they are on the wings, we needed something else. I've been saying that for some time now, we need a plan B, but have none, because our midfield play castrated. Klopp seems to be happy with that, and it has worked in many ways but this kind of games is bound to happen.

I just hoped we would have a real playmaker in midfield who takes some responsibility. TAA really needs to improve defensively, no more excuses.

Unpopular opinion but Diaz still need to prove that he can be clinical enough. Skills and technique are very good but we need goals. Although it's unlikely, I hope we sign a midfielder.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #471: Aug 07, 2022 05:53:33 pm
      How did the game behind closed doors go today
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #472: Aug 07, 2022 05:58:16 pm
      I F***ing hate Haaland.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #473: Aug 07, 2022 05:59:38 pm

He’s looking very good….unfortunately
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #474: Aug 07, 2022 06:07:17 pm

Stevie pulled villa out. Not sure if they found a replacement
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #475: Aug 07, 2022 06:21:12 pm
      Stevie pulled villa out. Not sure if they found a replacement

Hopefully not. Pointless game we don't need with 7 players out injured already. Who would have played in that match?

Another couple of knocks and we are struggling badly.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #476: Aug 07, 2022 06:23:26 pm

They signed a quality player. We got a good one as well it seems. 2 goals a piece.

It's other areas of their team I'm looking at with concern.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #477: Aug 07, 2022 06:33:33 pm

It didn’t, Gerrard cancelled it.
      Stevie G the legend
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts | 15 
      Reply #478: Aug 07, 2022 08:11:17 pm
      Why would you play Fermino, if Nunez was available? If Nunez started we win the game. The way it's been going lately this 2 points eventually play a big part. Unfortunately Fermino can't do much these days, Klopp just need to accept that.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #479: Aug 07, 2022 08:16:11 pm
      Sooner rather than later Nunez, should be in the starting line up !
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #480: Aug 07, 2022 08:22:25 pm
      Some fuckwits writing him off a week ago
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #481: Aug 07, 2022 08:35:32 pm
      Some fuckwits writing him off a week ago
      His record in Germany speaks for itself. Now he's in a better football team he will score bags of goals, there's literally nothing we can do about it, except when we play them.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #482: Aug 07, 2022 08:38:10 pm
      Hopefully not. Pointless game we don't need with 7 players out injured already. Who would have played in that match?

Another couple of knocks and we are struggling badly.

Under 21s were playing city today as well

Quick Reply