Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Fulham?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.5%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (9.1%)
      James Milner
      6 (9.1%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.5%)
      Darwin Núñez
      49 (74.2%)
      Fábio Carvalho
      1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: Aug 10, 2022 02:25:18 pm

Fulham 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 17452 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Fulham 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Aug 08, 2022 01:26:24 am
      Under 21s were playing city today as well

Yeah, same as with the Strasbourg game I'm sure the idea when it was scheduled was to run out a team along the lines of

Kelleher, Ramsay, Gomez, Konate, Tsimikas, Milner, Keita, Jones, Ox, Carvalho and Jota. With the short preseason it would have allowed both our first XI and our second XI to get 90 minutes each and round off the preseason preparation. Instead we've really been hit by injuries and a system that is built on establishing that superior fitness base may have some catching up to do.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #484: Aug 08, 2022 06:24:07 am
      Why would you play Fermino, if Nunez was available? If Nunez started we win the game. The way it's been going lately this 2 points eventually play a big part. Unfortunately Fermino can't do much these days, Klopp just need to accept that.

It's Firmino. I think midfield was also to blame. Firmino did nothing worthy of praise in this match and has not shown that he deserves to play.

Maybe in midfield as a no.10? It could work.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #485: Aug 08, 2022 08:00:31 am
      It's Firmino. I think midfield was also to blame. Firmino did nothing worthy of praise in this match and has not shown that he deserves to play.

Maybe in midfield as a no.10? It could work.

You’re right it could but if we feel we need a #10 why not just go out and get one
      Putting Bobby into the team in an unfamiliar position smacks of the sentiment that none of us can bear to put a great servant out to grass
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #486: Aug 08, 2022 08:49:24 am
      You’re right it could but if we feel we need a #10 why not just go out and get one
      Putting Bobby into the team in an unfamiliar position smacks of the sentiment that none of us can bear to put a great servant out to grass

I don't think it's an unfamiliar position to him at all. He's played as a false 9, constantly dropping back into the midfield for a lot of years now so I don't see why playing as a 10 would be any sort of issue. I don't think we really need to go out and buy a 10 either because I believe that is where Carvalho is going to be at his best.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #487: Aug 08, 2022 09:51:55 am

Firmino came here as an attacking midfielder, a No.10. That was his position before Klopp came!
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #488: Aug 08, 2022 10:44:03 am
      Didn't see the game. But it looks like the Boss has to start Nunez. For the team to ingratiate him into the pattern of play as much as anything else.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #489: Aug 08, 2022 11:05:06 am
      Firmino came here as an attacking midfielder, a No.10. That was his position before Klopp came!

Firmino is going to have an amazing season - everyone was crap on Saturday
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #490: Aug 08, 2022 11:47:54 am
      Firmino is going to have an amazing season - everyone was crap on Saturday

Doing what exactly. No time for sentiment. He looked like a headless chicken on Saturday. He'll be mainly a bench player this season. Jota will start ahead of Bobby this season. Still think he'll start Nunez against Palace.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #491: Aug 08, 2022 12:18:17 pm
      Bobby's false No.9 thing didn't always work. He did great things and can still play a part but there's very little doubt that he's been less effective in the last 9/12 months or so. Comes down to could we improve on him if we took what's on offer.

Can't prejudge the season on the first one or two games. Shock to the system that we didn't batter Fulham but we haven't lost the plot overnight.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #492: Aug 08, 2022 12:24:09 pm
      Doing what exactly. No time for sentiment. He looked like a headless chicken on Saturday. He'll be mainly a bench player this season. Jota will start ahead of Bobby this season. Still think he'll start Nunez against Palace.

Agree. If we somehow manage to get everyone fit ... its Jota Nunez Salah.

Diogo got 20 plus goals last season. Plenty of vital ones too. If he can do the same this season, salah does what salah does and Darwin gets in the 20s we are going to be strong.

Plus with very little coming from behind the front 3 in terms of goals it's vital the front 3 are scoring regularly. And these 3, as well as being the best 3 imo will be the ones to do just that.

Diaz will get his games obviously. But he needs to show consistency in regular goals and assists I feel. Alot of talent there.

Bob will get his games too in all competitions ... but his days as a first choice starter are in question. Others offer far more, and much more regularly.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #493: Aug 08, 2022 12:42:41 pm
      I thought it was a foul of Henderson before their first goal, same way it was on Origi before United scored in 2019. And we didn't get the decision that day either. But in terms of the penalty, it was a soft one but still a pen as far as I'm concerned. It's a clash of knees, accidental or not, it's enough for Mitrovic to go down. And had it been the other end, we'd be screaming for a penalty.

I still think if Van Dijk had been more aggressive earlier on in the attack, it wouldn't have got to the box in the first place. The running off towards our goal just annoys the f**k out of me - especially from a defender with Virgil's pace. If a forward wants to go past him then they'd have to knock it past him and there's no way Mitrovic is outpacing Van Dijk in a foot race. But running backwards and allowing Mitrovic to carry the ball then missing the ball when he does decide to throw a foot in, causes the penalty.

I agree with those who said the ref was very quick to give the decision but I can understand why he did. It looked a foul and he'd been getting pelted by the Fulham fans for most of the game for giving us favourable decisions, so he's obviously been intimidated by the home support. He didn't have a good game but I still think the penalty was the correct decision.

it was a foul.

We also hit woodwork twice and had a goal chopped off.

So even playing rubbish we still made chances.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #494: Aug 08, 2022 12:57:55 pm
      I think the 2nd half was proof enough to give Elliott and Nunez a start for the next game.
      Thiago injury only reinforces the need for Elliott.
      Different dimension to the game with those two on.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #495: Aug 08, 2022 01:28:12 pm
      No reason Naby can't play in a more advanced  role as Mancs last season and he caused many problems , we have options
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #496: Aug 08, 2022 01:33:12 pm
      Naby will start next week for sure. And probably Nunez.

Small blessing having to wait till next monday to play, extra days to get some of the small injuries sorted.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #497: Aug 08, 2022 01:53:02 pm
      Naby will start next week for sure. And probably Nunez.

Small blessing having to wait till next monday to play, extra days to get some of the small injuries sorted.

I'm not sure about Naby starting to be honest, I think it will be Elliott, he done well when he came on against Fulham.

Think you're right about Nunez though.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #498: Aug 08, 2022 02:11:47 pm
      it was a foul.

We also hit woodwork twice and had a goal chopped off.

So even playing rubbish we still made chances.

I think with our attacking prowess mate, we're always going to create chances no matter what level of performance we put in. And a lot of the time, it does get our defence out of trouble because despite what the stats say, we do have a very shaky defence. Too many teams get clear cut chances against us to make me think we're as solid at the back as the number of clean sheets we get says we are. It's not even that we've got below average defenders, it's just the tactics we use. Klopp wants us to leave a lot of room in behind with the high line and he wants our full backs to push on - and the results we've picked up since the German took the hot seat means that those tactics work.

But when we have attacking players we do, we're always going to create and score. More often than not, score more than the opposition as well. Unfortunately Fulham just happened to be one those where we didn't get more than them. Maybe with another official on the pitch or in charge of VAR we may of got the result. And instead of all of us being depressed with a draw, we'd be lauding our players for getting three points when we were nowhere near our best. And claiming that's what champions do and all the rest of it.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #499: Aug 08, 2022 04:02:43 pm
      I'm not sure about Naby starting to be honest, I think it will be Elliott, he done well when he came on against Fulham.

Think you're right about Nunez though.

Id be happy enough with Elliott starting. We are also forgetting Milner, but he will probably keep him back as Super SUB.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #500: Aug 08, 2022 04:04:37 pm
      I think with our attacking prowess mate, we're always going to create chances no matter what level of performance we put in. And a lot of the time, it does get our defence out of trouble because despite what the stats say, we do have a very shaky defence. Too many teams get clear cut chances against us to make me think we're as solid at the back as the number of clean sheets we get says we are. It's not even that we've got below average defenders, it's just the tactics we use. Klopp wants us to leave a lot of room in behind with the high line and he wants our full backs to push on - and the results we've picked up since the German took the hot seat means that those tactics work.

But when we have attacking players we do, we're always going to create and score. More often than not, score more than the opposition as well. Unfortunately Fulham just happened to be one those where we didn't get more than them. Maybe with another official on the pitch or in charge of VAR we may of got the result. And instead of all of us being depressed with a draw, we'd be lauding our players for getting three points when we were nowhere near our best. And claiming that's what champions do and all the rest of it.

The tactics do leave us opn 100%, price we pay for the style of footi.

As some have said 1st game of season is the best time to be sh1te too, we will come back more hungry and stronger than ever next week.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #501: Aug 08, 2022 05:16:21 pm
      last 10 epl games with Fulham won 6 lost 3 drawn 1 so this was never a just turn up game. I will be right their with the best forum moaners if we dont perform against Palace at home but this game just let it go
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #502: Aug 08, 2022 06:27:28 pm
      I think we all need to sit back and take stock, it was the first game, for Fulham too, of the season, no one seen how good they would play, that’s not a excuse it’s just that they perhaps wanted it more on the day and we weren’t at the races for whatever reason,
      It matters not a jot how we faired in pre-season, this is the real deal now and we simply weren’t good enough on the day,

It usually takes up to half a doz games for us to get fully match fit and up to speed with the pace, rhythm, tempo and fluidity we play at, last season Brentford did to us what Fulham did on Saturday, took the game to us and played us at our own game, and just like Brentford almost pulled it off, think we drew 3-3 with the Bees,

I think most of us expected a win and were obviously gutted when we didn’t hence the vitriol in these boards, annoyingly frustrating? F**k yeah, but we have another 37 games to put it right haven’t we ??

“Don’t worry, bout a thing, cos every little thing, gonna be alright”

Y  N  W  A

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #503: Aug 08, 2022 06:36:21 pm
      Id be happy enough with Elliott starting. We are also forgetting Milner, but he will probably keep him back as Super SUB.

After next week we start a busy period with a few midweek games in succession so I would expect we start seeing rotation in the middle so players like Milner and Ketia will get significant minutes.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #504: Aug 08, 2022 06:44:15 pm
      I think we all need to sit back and take stock, it was the first game, for Fulham too, of the season, no one seen how good they would play, that’s not a excuse it’s just that they perhaps wanted it more on the day and we weren’t at the races for whatever reason,
      It matters not a jot how we faired in pre-season, this is the real deal now and we simply weren’t good enough on the day,

It usually takes up to half a doz games for us to get fully match fit and up to speed with the pace, rhythm, tempo and fluidity we play at, last season Brentford did to us what Fulham did on Saturday, took the game to us and played us at our own game, and just like Brentford almost pulled it off, think we drew 3-3 with the Bees,

I think most of us expected a win and were obviously gutted when we didn’t hence the vitriol in these boards, annoyingly frustrating? F**k yeah, but we have another 37 games to put it right haven’t we ??

“Don’t worry, bout a thing, cos every little thing, gonna be alright”

Y  N  W  A
      After the Charity shield performance, just like Klopp himself, we're all just bemused at the level of drop-off . As you say it's not the end of the World
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #505: Aug 08, 2022 06:44:45 pm
      Thiago injured. This now creates a problem, one which was bound to occur. Jones... Elliott...Naby...Bobby.. .. Naby's had more false starts than Bazil Faulty's dodgy Austin 1100. Jones is...is..er..here. Elliott just sometimes looks a bit lightweight. Bobby can play deep, just off the front 3.

Diaz, Nunez, Salah with Bobby playing just off the front 3. Hendo & Fabio to make up the front 6. Give it a go.

p.s. Wolves loaning Conor Coady to Everton. Out of their tiny..
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2022 09:48:23 pm by Harrisimo »

Quick Reply