Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Fulham?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.5%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (9.1%)
      James Milner
      6 (9.1%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.5%)
      Darwin Núñez
      49 (74.2%)
      Fábio Carvalho
      1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: Aug 10, 2022 02:25:18 pm

Fulham 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 17455 times
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Re: Fulham 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Aug 09, 2022 12:16:33 am
      Milner gets way to little credit. He plays terrific the last couple of months and I am nervous when I read he's supposed to be gone next season. He plays solid no-nonsense midfield football. For me: Milner > Keita at this point.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #507: Aug 09, 2022 08:56:55 am
      After next week we start a busy period with a few midweek games in succession so I would expect we start seeing rotation in the middle so players like Milner and Ketia will get significant minutes.

Oh for sure.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #508: Aug 09, 2022 12:38:29 pm
      After next week we start a busy period with a few midweek games in succession so I would expect we start seeing rotation in the middle so players like Milner and Ketia will get significant minutes.

If they remain fit.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #509: Aug 09, 2022 12:49:15 pm
      Quote from Longy-Shops
      Everton not getting "That" penalty cost us

Fabinho missing that open goal against City at home in the last minute cost us as well. An actual goal, rather than the opportunity of one above.

Quote from Rush
      Supporters praise their team when they win, and criticise them when they lose. That's just the nature of football fans. Always has been always will be.

I would argue, and have done in the past, that we don't get enough praise when we win tbh. But the true colours appear when we don't. We didn't even lose this game as it is.

Quote from Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      To your point above, I agree. Darwin isn't the smoothest by no means, but he seems to be effective. Of all the goals he's scored in preseason, Charity Shield, and today, none of them come to memory as elegant or smooth. And ill be honest l, I don't give a F**k either. Dude creates a ton chances, so I'm fine with quanity over quality if it means we're scoring.

Biggest thing is we better with him on the pitch. He changes the whole dynamic every time he comes in.

I don't know what exactly a smooth goal is, but I do know he's scored 6 goals for us already, including 4 in one game. That's a lot of goals already. He was our best player in this game, and only on for half an hour.

Quote from ToshackKeeganOneNil
      Terrible performance across the whole starting line-up. Trent needs serious competition for his place and Calvin isn't it.

All in all for me, our worst performance under Klopp and I'm not sure he get's much blame tbh. The positive is we got a point we barely deserved and it might just be the point that wins the league. The other good news is we can only improve.

And the most ott post of the thread goes to you.

When we went there the last time, the performance was very similiar to this. Then when we played them at home, the performance was worse and we lost. So there's been lots and lots of performances as bad and worse than this, over the past 7 years.

One thing though we need to stop doing, is going behind in games. This was the 5th league game on the bounce, and it's way too many. While we'll come back to win some, if not most of the time, there will be games like this where we don't if it persists.

The main competition to Trent was sold to Forest over the summer. VVD made his first error in years, he hasn't lost a yard of pace as was claimed. I wouldn't even blame him for it either, that lies squarely with Matip for carelessly losing possession on the halfway line in the build up.

On the plus side, we ground a point out of the trip, as we did the last time. And congratulations to Salah on scoring on the opening day for the 6th year in a row. I don't know how many more seasons he'll do so, (and we'll almost certainly be away on Day 1 next season as well) but however many it is, that record is unlikely ever to be beaten.

We're the last team this season to have a home game, and by the time we play it, we'll probably be 5 points behind the leaders already. So even though there's still 111 points available, we can't afford to lose much more ground than we already have.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #510: Aug 09, 2022 12:51:59 pm
      This was the 5th league game on the bounce, and it's way too many.

7th time in the last 9 games apparently.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #511: Aug 09, 2022 01:27:16 pm
      We're the last team this season to have a home game, and by the time we play it, we'll probably be 5 points behind the leaders already. So even though there's still 111 points available, we can't afford to lose much more ground than we already have.

Yeah look at it as how many points you need to win looks at 90-95 given the standard the past 5 years so we can only drop 19-24 points though a whole season. Results like this put more pressure on us to get wins in mote difficult fixtures, something we were unable to do last season unfortunately.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #512: Aug 09, 2022 02:09:08 pm
      Fabinho missing that open goal against City at home in the last minute cost us as well. An actual goal, rather than the opportunity of one above.

I would argue, and have done in the past, that we don't get enough praise when we win tbh. But the true colours appear when we don't. We didn't even lose this game as it is.

I don't know what exactly a smooth goal is, but I do know he's scored 6 goals for us already, including 4 in one game. That's a lot of goals already. He was our best player in this game, and only on for half an hour.

And the most ott post of the thread goes to you.

When we went there the last time, the performance was very similiar to this. Then when we played them at home, the performance was worse and we lost. So there's been lots and lots of performances as bad and worse than this, over the past 7 years.

One thing though we need to stop doing, is going behind in games. This was the 5th league game on the bounce, and it's way too many. While we'll come back to win some, if not most of the time, there will be games like this where we don't if it persists.

The main competition to Trent was sold to Forest over the summer. VVD made his first error in years, he hasn't lost a yard of pace as was claimed. I wouldn't even blame him for it either, that lies squarely with Matip for carelessly losing possession on the halfway line in the build up.

On the plus side, we ground a point out of the trip, as we did the last time. And congratulations to Salah on scoring on the opening day for the 6th year in a row. I don't know how many more seasons he'll do so, (and we'll almost certainly be away on Day 1 next season as well) but however many it is, that record is unlikely ever to be beaten.

I can't remember the Fabino sitter, but the very fact he missed is the evidence it was also an opportunity...Sadly not taken. But that's football. But the admitted mistakes by all the officials at Goodison and VAR is outside of the players control.
      There was clearly bias, conscious or not. Admittedly, we will never know that had it been given it would have been scored, but most pens are....
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #513: Aug 09, 2022 03:10:29 pm
      Should the midfield squad been overhauled. Thiago out for several weeks and now he has to rake through the rest trying to find a solution, if there is one. Everyone has the answer but in truth it's a mishmash, a bung him in and hope it works scenario.

My take on it is to go on offensive side. Bobby playing off the front 3 or throw Carvalho in there. We have protection in Hendo & Fabinho.

As per it will probably be in game rotation, with the spin of a coin, tails you start on the bench.
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #514: Aug 10, 2022 06:55:51 pm
      I wish we had a mid week game
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #515: Aug 10, 2022 07:57:05 pm
      Shows how bad a performance Saturday was when Milner made such a big difference
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #516: Aug 10, 2022 09:56:06 pm
      Quote from Longy-Shops
      I can't remember the Fabino sitter, but the very fact he missed is the evidence it was also an opportunity...Sadly not taken. But that's football. But the admitted mistakes by all the officials at Goodison and VAR is outside of the players control.
      There was clearly bias, conscious or not. Admittedly, we will never know that had it been given it would have been scored, but most pens are....

Of course, but it is Everton you talk about. Not really the ideal club for us to look for favours from. There was no bias. The error was admitted, it wouldn't be the first time a penalty wasn't given for what looks a clear and obvious handball, and it won't be the last. Thankfully, most are given nowadays.

Fabinho had the opportunity to score against City at home in front of an open goal to give us the win and the three points. 6 yards out, didn't even have the keeper to beat. Instead his tame effort was cleared away and the extra two points went with it.

We got 92 points last year. Normally it should be enough to win any league title. And if not, then there's more to explain why than one moment over 38 games.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #517: Aug 10, 2022 11:04:51 pm
      Of course, but it is Everton you talk about. Not really the ideal club for us to look for favours from. There was no bias. The error was admitted, it wouldn't be the first time a penalty wasn't given for what looks a clear and obvious handball, and it won't be the last. Thankfully, most are given nowadays.

Fabinho had the opportunity to score against City at home in front of an open goal to give us the win and the three points. 6 yards out, didn't even have the keeper to beat. Instead his tame effort was cleared away and the extra two points went with it.

We got 92 points last year. Normally it should be enough to win any league title. And if not, then there's more to explain why than one moment over 38 games.

I half watched the Everton/city match, it was clear Everton were putting in an effort to get a result, why wouldn't they? they were deep in the sh*t.
      Regarding the "pen" incident: I claim there was bias because of there was a clear handball. That's not my opinion, it's the opinion of the PGMOL.
      So where doe's the bias come from? Neither linesmen "see"it, the referee also miraculously fails to "see" except they did see it, they just didn't call it. Why? One reason could be City's rank, we're all familiar with the "big" club's get the decision argument, and I think this influenced the ref.
      The linesmen took their cue from the ref. and bottled it. So what about VAR? Same thing, just bottled it, too scared to call it and take all the flak from Pep and the broader media. Of course it's easier to ignore the protests from Lampard and Co. As you correctly say it's not the first time a penalty wasn't awarded for a clear and obvious handball, but the BIG difference here is the PGMOL agreed that the officials had made a mistake and duly apologised to Everton. We can't ever know if the phantom pen would have been scored, but as I say, statistically most are. and with just 5 minutes left it's also probable Everton would have hung on for a deserved point. That would have resulted in City having 2 points less (than the win) Those Extra points cost us the league.
      Again none of this would have mattered if Fabinho slotted into the empty net...but as I say things like that happen, it's part of the game.

Over the whole season we got enough points to win it, but due to an admitted monumental error City were gifted 2 extra points. Outrageous.

lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #518: Aug 11, 2022 03:08:31 pm
      Quote from Longy-Shops
      I half watched the Everton/city match, it was clear Everton were putting in an effort to get a result, why wouldn't they? they were deep in the sh*t.
      Regarding the "pen" incident: I claim there was bias because of there was a clear handball. That's not my opinion, it's the opinion of the PGMOL.
      So where doe's the bias come from? Neither linesmen "see"it, the referee also miraculously fails to "see" except they did see it, they just didn't call it. Why? One reason could be City's rank, we're all familiar with the "big" club's get the decision argument, and I think this influenced the ref.
      The linesmen took their cue from the ref. and bottled it. So what about VAR? Same thing, just bottled it, too scared to call it and take all the flak from Pep and the broader media. Of course it's easier to ignore the protests from Lampard and Co. As you correctly say it's not the first time a penalty wasn't awarded for a clear and obvious handball, but the BIG difference here is the PGMOL agreed that the officials had made a mistake and duly apologised to Everton. We can't ever know if the phantom pen would have been scored, but as I say, statistically most are. and with just 5 minutes left it's also probable Everton would have hung on for a deserved point. That would have resulted in City having 2 points less (than the win) Those Extra points cost us the league.
      Again none of this would have mattered if Fabinho slotted into the empty net...but as I say things like that happen, it's part of the game.

Over the whole season we got enough points to win it, but due to an admitted monumental error City were gifted 2 extra points. Outrageous.

Because of a factual error, a penalty wasn't given. The PGMOL never admitted any bias, because there isn't any, they simply made a statement of the bleeding obvious. Now you can argue that statistically the penalty would have been scored and many have, but you can't guarantee that, so you can't say that alone cost us the league. The Fabinho miss however was probably the miss of the season, not only because of the circumstances, but also the consequences. It was an open goal, but he missed it and that would have been a 4 point swing in our favour. Ultimately if Villa held on to their 2 goal lead on the final day as most half decent teams should be able to manage, none of any of the above would have mattered. At one stage we were 14 behind, and instead of lamenting about what we can't control, we should be proud of taking it all the way to the very end, as nobody else in the league is capable of it at this time.

The big clubs get as many decisions their way as the rest, and like everyone else, City have had their fair share of VAR decisions against them. They had a winning goal disallowed for offside when we played them over there. The penalty that was scored on the night we last won the league, was the result of a VAR decision against City. That's the beauty about VAR, it's the one thing in the sport, that no team big or small, rich or rags, has any influence over. No player or manager can run to the VAR, like they can to the ref on the pitch and try to pressure him. Crowds have no influence either. Whether the place is baying for blood or has less atmosphere than a library, the VAR has the same job to do regardless. 99% of the time they get it spot on. Within it's remit of course.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #519: Aug 11, 2022 05:12:32 pm
      Because of a factual error, a penalty wasn't given. The PGMOL never admitted any bias, because there isn't any, they simply made a statement of the bleeding obvious. Now you can argue that statistically the penalty would have been scored and many have, but you can't guarantee that, so you can't say that alone cost us the league. The Fabinho miss however was probably the miss of the season, not only because of the circumstances, but also the consequences. It was an open goal, but he missed it and that would have been a 4 point swing in our favour. Ultimately if Villa held on to their 2 goal lead on the final day as most half decent teams should be able to manage, none of any of the above would have mattered. At one stage we were 14 behind, and instead of lamenting about what we can't control, we should be proud of taking it all the way to the very end, as nobody else in the league is capable of it at this time.

The big clubs get as many decisions their way as the rest, and like everyone else, City have had their fair share of VAR decisions against them. They had a winning goal disallowed for offside when we played them over there. The penalty that was scored on the night we last won the league, was the result of a VAR decision against City. That's the beauty about VAR, it's the one thing in the sport, that no team big or small, rich or rags, has any influence over. No player or manager can run to the VAR, like they can to the ref on the pitch and try to pressure him. Crowds have no influence either. Whether the place is baying for blood or has less atmosphere than a library, the VAR has the same job to do regardless. 99% of the time they get it spot on. Within it's remit of course.
      I fail to understand why you feel the VAR operator is somehow incapable of bias. All human activity is subject to it.( the reasons can be quite complex) Even if I accept your 99%, the 1% represents the admitted error.  All the other stuff is within the boundaries of the game. An admitted error...The key word admitted. Fans will always ague the toss about VAR decisions, some go for you and some go against... but I don't know of any other decision VAR has made where they have admitted there was an error.(even issuing an apology)
      Anyway this is my reading of the situation, you have a different take...One thing for sure it's in the past...though still inexcusable...to me
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #520: Aug 11, 2022 09:00:15 pm

Wasn’t you the idiot saying var will stop dodgy decisions, var will never make up for sh*t officials and every time var fcks up you disappear, worst thing to happen to football ,
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #521: Aug 12, 2022 03:21:40 pm
      Wasn’t you the idiot saying.......

"Pot calling black kettle, pot calling black kettle! Is you there kettle?"
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #522: Aug 13, 2022 02:10:47 pm

Are you a F***ing wool?

Cos that sounds F***ing wool!!

Stick to rounders chief ;)
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #523: Aug 19, 2022 01:53:15 pm
      Quote from Longy-Shops
      I fail to understand why you feel the VAR operator is somehow incapable of bias. All human activity is subject to it.( the reasons can be quite complex) Even if I accept your 99%, the 1% represents the admitted error.  All the other stuff is within the boundaries of the game. An admitted error...The key word admitted. Fans will always ague the toss about VAR decisions, some go for you and some go against... but I don't know of any other decision VAR has made where they have admitted there was an error.(even issuing an apology)
      Anyway this is my reading of the situation, you have a different take...One thing for sure it's in the past...though still inexcusable...to me

The ref is impartial. The ref in question at that game, has given decisions for and against us in the past, some of them while as VAR. So, he's not biased.

There are very few clear and obvious errors nowadays. Most controversial decisions have a case for why the decision was made, but not in the City case above, hence the apology issued.

If a ref lets a howler go, he risks being demoted, suspended, or sacked. Since the day he let the VVD injury go unpunished across the park, I don't think Coote has reffed a single one of our league games. That's the price for getting a big call wrong. So a ref can't have any bias while doing his job.

Quick Reply