Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Rangers?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      21 (38.9%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      3 (5.6%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      2 (3.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      12 (22.2%)
      Luis Diaz
      8 (14.8%)
      Diogo Jota
      2 (3.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.9%)
      Darwin Núñez
      3 (5.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: Oct 08, 2022 09:51:50 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Glasgow Rangers: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 9746 times
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 825 posts | 295 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Glasgow Rangers: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Oct 05, 2022 09:10:07 am
      One player I struggle to define is Elliot, I don't know if he's great, or if he's ordinary. He gives the impression he's a very good footballer, industrious etc. but I'm left thinking what does he do? I genuinely can't figure him out.

I think he's a very good player but, as What-a-hit-son says, he and Klopp are finding it hard to find a position for him in the team. He's not yet been able to replace Hendo, maybe he can but we can't keep playing him in RM currently due to all the goals we leak on that side.
      He's got potential to play as the 10 if we stick to 4231 but we don't usually play like that, and Jota did ok last night. He also does not look like Salah's replacement. It's a difficult issue but I think Klopp and his coaches can find a role for him, he's still very young and is a Liverpool fan so is going to be more patient and motivated to succeed at the club.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,910 posts | 4976 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #323: Oct 05, 2022 09:19:12 am
      I don’t bother my arse posting straight after the game anymore simply because I can’t be arsed trawling thru all the sh*te some of our glory hunter’s try to impress us with…..like Nunez akin to Andy Carroll?….what’s the point of Harvey Elliot …Ffs ??

Dunno if I’m alone here but I thought we were decent last night considering that was the first time we used that formation, and i for one was impressed, ok at times one or two got in each other’s way but in the main it worked, we had cohesion, we pressed as a team, we hunted the ball down each time we lost it, and  we have Nunez finding himself in good positions to impact the score, thought he was trying too hard last night but with fine tuning in this system he will deliver, the other real pleasure was we had TAA, the real TAA back to what he does best….WHY ?….because Hendo & Matip covered his ass properly when he charged forward, in his mind he doesn’t have to worry about Having to get back defensively, and that frees him up to deliver accuracy and create chances aplenty,

So what do you do if your Rangers, your up against a side a few levels better, with all the bells & whistles of  Champions League experience, do you come out and attack attack attack and hope you get lucky, OR, do you set your team up to make it as difficult as possible, GVB did exactly that, he knew if we we’re at our best it could end up being a damage limitation excercise, we will see a different animal at Ibrox next week, we seen glimpses that they can get in behind, so we’ll need to be cautious ,

Before anyone says…Ah but…it was only Rangers…you can only play what’s in front of you, and to be fair to them i thought they coped admirably, yes on another night, Nunez, Jota, Mo & Diaz will be more clinical but the gulf in both class & quality was evident, we keep harping on about the financial difference between us and City, but have a look at the difference between us and Rangers, pot kettle and black and all that, some head wobbling is required amongst some of us, and perhaps some consideration too !!

The big Question is…does Jürgen stick with this formation V Arse or go back to the 4-3-3, and that ladies and gentle persons is exactly what Arteta will be asking himself, does he set up his team to counter 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 ?? I want us to carry on with the new system, why else buy someone like Nunez if your not gonna change anything, so like I said above we’ll need some fine tuning with time spent on it at the AxA,

We have some belter games coming up, Arse…Rangers…City important games we need to be maximising our points tally, so I think we’ll see both systems used depending on our fitness and opposition, but we’ll just have to wait and see, we are transitioning so we’ll need to be extra patient.

BRING ON THE ARSE !!

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,872 posts | 2693 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #324: Oct 05, 2022 10:05:06 am

Before anyone says…Ah but…it was only Rangers…you can only play what’s in front of you,

Well your half right, I use the same terminology in greyhound racing ( can only beat what’s in front of you ) so that’s a valid point. Last nite wasn’t about the performance it was the result. 

It was a weak guide going forward but least will pick the morale in camp up a little. Arsenal will obviously be a better guide but then there no City ( but who is ) and also in a false position in the league. Full credit to Arteta though he’s turned them round and this will be your biggest test of the season so far.

On a side note don’t know if you noticed but did you see look on Trent’s face after scoring? He looked well relived and knocked a few breeze blocks off his shoulders.  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,021 posts | 2089 
      Reply #325: Oct 05, 2022 10:55:25 am
      Was in the main stand for this one. Thought Hendo and Nunez were superb together. Hendo really playing to Nunez's strengths by releasing the quick, direct ball. Definitely need more of that rather than less pedestrian possession. Mo was really good as well. And Trent - MOTM. What a strike!

Impeccably observed minute silence. Until 1 red wind up merchant, literally a split second before the referee vlew his whistle screams (impeccably timed)  'Up the RA!'  :f_tongueincheek:

Safe to say the Rangers fans did not appreciate it! Generally a pathetic bunch. They waited until half the stadium had filtered out at full time before launching into a repertoire of Hillsborough chants.

See you in your next incarnation after another insolvency case you bunch of sad sacks.
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2022 07:27:24 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #326: Oct 05, 2022 12:20:53 pm
      Without beimg too critical, we did not score in open play against Rangers, who are hardly decent opposition in the CL. Still at least keeping a clean sheet is something otherwise plenty of room for improvement in the fixtures ahead.

Ally made a good save and Kostas cleared off the line near the end, could've been a nervy last 5 mins, but we avoided that.
      Definitely a step forward, Hendo and TAA looked better, take nothing away from an important win in the CL.
      But the game against Arse will be a better indicator of any improvement. Big one, and more hopeful on the back of that.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,174 posts | 1384 
      Reply #327: Oct 05, 2022 02:49:57 pm
      Good chat from Nunez. Clearly thinks about his game etc. Knows being patient and calm is key for a striker, so all good. Like to see him start V Arsenal. Least we can do is give him unqualified support.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63146291

HarryJules12
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #328: Oct 05, 2022 02:59:08 pm
      Really pleasing performance. Could have been far more clinical in front of goal, but a W is all that matters. Clean sheet a bonus as well for confidence.

Cannot stand that lot though and hoping that'll be the last time we see them at Anfield in some time.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #329: Oct 05, 2022 05:10:54 pm
      Well not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, but a marked improvement.
      Clearly looked more secure with the extra DM.
      Rangers not the strongest test, but as long as we progress game by game we’ll hopefully get back to our best.
      Recovering from injuries will help as well, although Jurgens subs do baffle me sometimes.
      Anyway, a deserved win and could have been by more if a few more chances went in instead of straight at the keeper.
      Went for Trent motm. Looked vastly improved on recent performances, and a cracking free kick !
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #330: Oct 05, 2022 08:30:34 pm
      One non-PK goal at home vs a squad with combined wages that equal Salah's

Issues are far from over
      Discophrenia
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts | 10 
      Reply #331: Oct 05, 2022 10:15:09 pm
      Was in the main stand for this one. Thought Hendo and Nunez were superb together. Hendo really playing to Nunez's strengths by releasing the quick, direct ball. Definitely need more of that rather than less pedestrian possession. Mo was really good as well. And Trent - MOTM. What a strike!

Impeccably observed minute silence. Until 1 red wind up merchant, literally a split second before the referee vlew his whistle screams (impeccably timed)  'Up the RA!'  :f_tongueincheek:

Safe to say the Rangers fans did not appreciate it! Generally a pathetic bunch. They waited until half the stadium had filtered out at full time before launching into a repertoire of Hillsborough chants.

See you in your next incarnation after another insolvency case you bunch of sad sacks.

There was no repertoire of Hillsborough chants. Why would you lie about sh*t like that? Seriously.

A few idiots put a Sun logo on their phones. One was slapped by a fellow fan for it.
      Discophrenia
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts | 10 
      Reply #332: Oct 05, 2022 10:19:36 pm

Also, using 'Up the Ra!' as a funny witticism... you're talking about a group that killed innocent men, women and children. Hilarious. And yes, I find the opposite types of nonsense equally as unfunny.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #333: Oct 06, 2022 08:22:41 pm
      Good chat from Nunez. Clearly thinks about his game etc. Knows being patient and calm is key for a striker, so all good. Like to see him start V Arsenal. Least we can do is give him unqualified support.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63146291

I cant believe that some dont give him unqualified support mate. Its a huge step up for him moving to an iconic club in another Country who's language is not easy for him. He has had a stop start season and forwards more than any other players play on confidence I think he will be more than fine after a run of games and a few goals
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,021 posts | 2089 
      Reply #334: Oct 06, 2022 09:29:11 pm
      There was no repertoire of Hillsborough chants. Why would you lie about sh*t like that? Seriously.

A few idiots put a Sun logo on their phones. One was slapped by a fellow fan for it.

The whole section were singing 'Always the victim...'literally two-three minutes after the final whistle. I was f**king there and you weren't! Followed by a bit of pro Tory chants like 'You'll never get a job' an utterly bizarre song to sing from a set of fans who hail from a city and a part of that city so shockingly destroyed by the policies of the Conservative Government in the 1980s. It just seems unnecessary especially given there is no rivalry to be had doesn't it?

Also, I agree - it's not funny what the IRA did. Not at all and you're right to call me out on that. But I can't deny that I stifled a bit of laughter when I heard that given the timing and the shithousery / audacity of it all. If someone had shouted Big Jock Knew I'd probably have had the same reaction. Similarly I laughed at Celtic fans singing "If you hate the Royal Family clap your hands" during a minutes applause a couple of weeks ago (even though I was massively sympathetic to her passing). The tastelessness of the Old Firm rivalry descends into parody to be honest. There are some things that I would never ever laugh at though - Ibrox stadium disaster, Hillsborough chants, Munich air disaster. Those are never grounds for chants or heckles.
      « Last Edit: Oct 07, 2022 08:52:48 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »

Quick Reply