Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Why have we made such a slow start?

Read 14980 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Re: Why have we made such a slow start?
      Reply #115: Sep 09, 2022 06:43:25 pm
      Yes no doubt that Trent and Gomez were poor but tactics played a part. But they were exposed to an inform Napoli. We didn't defend in numbers, we tried to start on the front foot and control and attack from that solid base. Works well normally but it should've been recognised that we are off blob and a more defensive approach should've been taken.

For whatever reason we don't seem to have it in our locker to go for a shut out and as a result the back 4 get exposed. We are not defending as a team and defenders are getting isolated or as I say exposed. Yes they should do better but our overall attacking tactics sometimes caused these issues.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #116: Sep 09, 2022 06:57:17 pm
      Walton, the cycle hasn’t ended after 6 games. Our players are now picking up injuries due to their age and intensity, it’s all due to the same reason. We had to bring in some young blood to refresh the midfield like we did with our attack

I have faith we will get top 4 but this will be a painful season. Because to me getting 3rd or 4th is painful. We clearly need Thiago fit for example, but the issue is we got Henderson who has become injury prone and we know Keita is a half arsed player who is happy to pick up pay cheques from home and don’t get me started on ox

It happened to United, to Barcelona and others. When we don’t refresh players with quality, you drop off, why is it a big deal to state this ? It’s the reality

its all guess work on your behalf you have no facts to base any of this on. We tried a different pre season because of the upcoming World Cup so maybe we physically were not as ready as we hoped.
      its just lazy posting as usual by people. Jordan Henderson played 35 league games in the 21-22 season losing 2 you explain how is that an injury hit season. I have complained like a lot of us about FSG lack of investment, but it falls on deaf ears .
      We are where we are and FSG are not giving Jürgen a blank cheque in January or next summer so just Keep the Faith in Jürgen we Trust
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #117: Sep 09, 2022 07:45:47 pm
      After the weekend postponement our next game is against Ajax on Tuesday, a tough game to get our act together after Weds!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #118: Sep 09, 2022 08:20:28 pm
      It may be fatigue , failing to add serious quality to the squad in the last few windows is also a factor, u can never sit still as a squad or staleness creeps in sadly it has .

the question is without the Phil money would we have bought Ali and Virgil and having done so with fantastic results doesnt this show at the very top elite level there are no shortcuts.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #119: Sep 09, 2022 10:11:16 pm
      Gomez improving  :o Christ I’m not having that mate he’s sh!Te. The odd good game but let’s you down so so may times. He should be on your transfer list but happy if Klopp agrees with you and keeps him.  ;D

Never seen Trent play so bad consistently at the moment. He’s arguably going through his worse spell as a Liverpool player.  I still stand by one of the reasons your playing poorly( amongst others ) I’d fatigue in your side.

absolute bollox and wha tI would expect from a UTD fan who knows as much about football as an accidental splash of sperm from a Glazer.
      Apart from Napoli he was doing ok and improving after lots of injuries and had actually shown pace  that Trent could only dream of. Trent has left him high and dry on so many occasions he simply cant play and cover two positions and given you made Slabhead your Captain I will not rely on your judgement on what makes a CB
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #120: Sep 09, 2022 10:32:52 pm
      Gomez has been quite solid and improving but Trent really left him exposed many times on Weds.

Not sure how you could think that watching him play these past games. One of the worst players and always at fault for something.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #121: Sep 09, 2022 10:40:48 pm
      Not sure how you could think that watching him play these past games. One of the worst players and always at fault for something.

Yea he's been sh*te at CB.

Matip in and move him to RB.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #122: Sep 09, 2022 11:02:14 pm

Sadly he offers absolutely nothing going forward as a RB. His current streak as a CB is so sad though, pre-injury he had an amazing run of games. Was incredibly athletic for a CB, similar to VVD.

He got pushed off the ball so easily against Napoli, and not just once! I could hardly believe my eyes.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #123: Sep 09, 2022 11:09:16 pm
      Sadly he offers absolutely nothing going forward as a RB. His current streak as a CB is so sad though, pre-injury he had an amazing run of games. Was incredibly athletic for a CB, similar to VVD.

He got pushed off the ball so easily against Napoli, and not just once! I could hardly believe my eyes.

I think he can be a very effective attacking CB and has shown that in the past.

Anything would be better than the statue that is TAA at the moment.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #124: Sep 09, 2022 11:52:24 pm
      Does anyone else remember when football teams didn’t win every game?
      Liverpool of 84 came back from mid table to win the league and the European cup.

Man City have absolutely ruined this league, but you have to applaud them as it’s not all about money. To finish second to them 3 times and win it is an amazing achievement. We are just being normal and ending a cycle of amazing consistency and success
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #125: Sep 10, 2022 01:50:35 am
      absolute bollox and wha tI would expect from a UTD fan who knows as much about football as an accidental splash of sperm from a Glazer.
      Apart from Napoli he was doing ok and improving after lots of injuries and had actually shown pace  that Trent could only dream of. Trent has left him high and dry on so many occasions he simply cant play and cover two positions and given you made Slabhead your Captain I will not rely on your judgement on what makes a CB

Walton I always respect what you say mate but Joe has been sh*t every game he has played this Season bar the Everton game. He looks a nervous wreck to me.

Him and Trent next to each other is actually pretty terrifying. Everytime the ball goes near them, I fear the worst!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #126: Sep 10, 2022 02:27:04 am
      Nothing in our last two games remotely suggested we're capable of taking three points against Wolves so the suspension due to the passing of the Queen comes as a welcome break.

Napoli was a horror show but let's just remind ourselves that we came close to losing against a ghastly, shockingly bad Everton side. There are some in that squad who need to take stock of the situation.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #127: Sep 10, 2022 06:05:47 am
      It looks like the Chelsea game may also be postponed. The international call ups notwithstanding, we would have played only 2 games in September (if the Ajax game goes ahead). Hopefully that should give the time to get the injured players back, bed in Melo and the much needed pre season that never was.

Jürgen's comments on refreshing the squad clearly suggests that his opinions were not heeded by the transfer committee. What is also strange are reports suggesting that we are prepared to offer Keita a new contract! How does he deserve that?
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #128: Sep 10, 2022 06:54:34 am
      Hopefully the break this weekend will allow our players time to regroup, and come out better prepared for our game against Ajax. Providing the game goes ahead on Tuesday night, here's hoping for a much improved performance all round, from every player on the pitch !
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #129: Sep 10, 2022 07:14:23 am
      Hopefully the break this weekend will allow our players time to regroup, and come out better prepared for our game against Ajax. Providing the game goes ahead on Tuesday night, here's hoping for a much improved performance all round, from every player on the pitch !

I was thinking the same. No excuses. Win or not, we need to simply play better.

I really think that the EPL race is already over. I hope I'm wrong.  ManCity is a machine and is already on track, we still need to find our game and when we find it, it will probably be too late. We need to be in the top 3 and compete for the cups and the CL.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #130: Sep 10, 2022 07:18:24 am
      Feels harsh on Gomez to get all the stick for our slow start. Yes Napoli was a night to forget but there are many other factors across the other games where he’s done alright. VVD has been shocking this season, Trent’s defending has always been lacking, never can just have a set of games where he stays off the front foot to shore things up, and the defensive cover from Fabinho hasn’t been as exemplary as prior seasons. Ali and Robbo only ones maintaining the same high bar as in prior years. Personally I feel most of it stems from midfield. We need cover for Fabinho and/or an engine room with muscle so can switch to two sitting in the middle to shore the back line up when under the cosh. We’re getting way too exposed atm when our back line isn’t on form, and don’t have a mitigation.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #131: Sep 10, 2022 07:45:43 am
      Apart from Napoli he was doing ok and improving after lots of injuries  and had actually shown pace  that Trent could only dream of. Trent has left him high and dry on so many occasions he simply cant play and cover two positions and given you made Slabhead your Captain I will not rely on your judgement on what makes a CB

What’s being a United fan got to do with it? And my opinion just as valid as you lot, even more coz some  of you wear rose tints. Gomez is sh*te and will be surprised if he’s still there in January sales. Might get something for him in primark    ;D but he’s not Liverpools standard for a CB.

Take a break from United talk, we’re talking about a Liverpool player.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #132: Sep 10, 2022 08:33:54 am
      the question is without the Phil money would we have bought Ali and Virgil and having done so with fantastic results doesnt this show at the very top elite level there are no shortcuts.
      I’ve said in another thread , I think we got extremely lucky with the value of phill, had he stayed , I just can’t see them pair coming in together , a glance at our transfer strategy suggests that , if you stand still you get overtaken, it’s precisely what we have done , it was great challenging on four fronts last year , but by the end the goals and performances had dried up the warning signs were there , the fact we kept Ox Keita and Milly on , is a glaring error by the club .
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #133: Sep 10, 2022 09:02:58 am
      I’ve said in another thread , I think we got extremely lucky with the value of phill, had he stayed , I just can’t see them pair coming in together , a glance at our transfer strategy suggests that , if you stand still you get overtaken, it’s precisely what we have done , it was great challenging on four fronts last year , but by the end the goals and performances had dried up the warning signs were there , the fact we kept Ox Keita and Milly on , is a glaring error by the club .

Me thinks that the real argument here is why should we sell Phil to buy VVD and Ali. Can’t we have the owners dipping into their own money to fund VVD and Ali without having to sell Phil? Those close second could have turned us into champions for all we know. That begs the real perpetual argument - why can’t the owners fund our acquisitions like Chelsea or City? By not doing so, our results suffer. We can argue but like it or not we don’t have owners who adopt an owner funded club. Our club will fund itself like it or not.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #134: Sep 10, 2022 10:52:37 am
      Fatigue and a lack of creativity.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #135: Sep 10, 2022 12:38:23 pm
      It looks like the Chelsea game may also be postponed. The international call ups notwithstanding, we would have played only 2 games in September (if the Ajax game goes ahead). Hopefully that should give the time to get the injured players back, bed in Melo and the much needed pre season that never was.

Jürgen's comments on refreshing the squad clearly suggests that his opinions were not heeded by the transfer committee. What is also strange are reports suggesting that we are prepared to offer Keita a new contract! How does he deserve that?

What reports aabout Keita? What I've seen are signs the club are done with him after this season. Not in the Champions League squad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #136: Sep 10, 2022 02:15:51 pm

Trent is still a better player than Gomez at rightback. Gomez needs dropping for his own two F**k ups in the Napoli game.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #137: Sep 10, 2022 02:34:19 pm
      Trent is still a better player than Gomez at rightback. Gomez needs dropping for his own two F**k ups in the Napoli game.

Definitely is on top form but Trent's form has been dire this season mate.

I do agree on Gomez as well but someone has to play RB and for me Trent seems so far away from finding form I'd drop him out and try a more traditional fullback system for a game or two.

Allows Salah to get inside more as well which isn't happening right now.

Quick Reply