Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Why have we made such a slow start?

Read 14981 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Why have we made such a slow start?
      Reply #138: Sep 10, 2022 02:51:09 pm
      Not sure how you could think that watching him play these past games. One of the worst players and always at fault for something.

apart from the Napoli game he has been solid enough giving he is still getting game time back into his legs and if you use your eyes and just watch how Trent has left him exposed time and time again you might understand that he was left in an impossible  position.
      "Joe Gomez put in a ‘world-class’ display vs Everton as Liverpool drew 0-0 at Goodison Park. The centre-back was back to his best."
      "Liverpool world-class duo are finally back for Jürgen Klopp and Everton performance is proof
      If Jürgen Klopp can take any positives from Liverpool's draw against Everton it will the performance of his an old partnership at the club that have once again proven their class."
      and there are plenty more like thats so you keep slagging of Liverpool players without any evidence I will watch the game and be objective and look for positves
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #139: Sep 10, 2022 08:30:00 pm
      Me thinks that the real argument here is why should we sell Phil to buy VVD and Ali. Can’t we have the owners dipping into their own money to fund VVD and Ali without having to sell Phil? Those close second could have turned us into champions for all we know. That begs the real perpetual argument - why can’t the owners fund our acquisitions like Chelsea or City? By not doing so, our results suffer. We can argue but like it or not we don’t have owners who adopt an owner funded club. Our club will fund itself like it or not.

Think you’ll find Ali and VVD we’re on the hit list before Phil manufactured his own leavening, by refusing to play or train feigning a back injury, that never stopped him from playing once he moved. He wasn’t sold to finance the other two purchases.
      Why do you make this sh*t up to fuel your personal addenda ?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #140: Sep 11, 2022 01:55:37 pm
      Definitely is on top form but Trent's form has been dire this season mate.

I do agree on Gomez as well but someone has to play RB and for me Trent seems so far away from finding form I'd drop him out and try a more traditional fullback system for a game or two.

Allows Salah to get inside more as well which isn't happening right now.

But to me it just looks like Trent is knackered at the minute, his own game is being affected by the decision to keep Salah out wide. The defence hasn't been right for any game since the Charity shield
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #141: Sep 11, 2022 02:09:41 pm
      But to me it just looks like Trent is knackered at the minute, his own game is being affected by the decision to keep Salah out wide. The defence hasn't been right for any game since the Charity shield

Possibly is tiredness along with mental fatigue as well, I can definitely see that as a possibility mate.

If we are to keep Trent in I'd personally let him relax a bit and play more orthodox and allow Salah to play more inside.

Just like I've suggested with Gomez as the RB. Play more wide and 'traditional' down the line and let Mo take up those spaces inside.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #142: Sep 11, 2022 02:12:00 pm
      Possibly is tiredness along with mental fatigue as well, I can definitely see that as a possibility mate.

If we are to keep Trent in I'd personally let him relax a bit and play more orthodox and allow Salah to play more inside.

Just like I've suggested with Gomez as the RB. Play more wide and 'traditional' down the line and let Mo take up those spaces inside.

Something has definitely changed with the qay Mo is playing and a bit like the pandemic season when the system seems to stutter, we struggle.

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #143: Sep 11, 2022 06:35:33 pm
      Think you’ll find Ali and VVD we’re on the hit list before Phil manufactured his own leavening, by refusing to play or train feigning a back injury, that never stopped him from playing once he moved. He wasn’t sold to finance the other two purchases.
      Why do you make this sh*t up to fuel your personal addenda ?

Your post was alright until that last sentence.

1) I responded to a post which said without having to sell Phil, both VVD and Ali wouldn’t have joined us.

2) my response was if we have used an owner funded model we could ideally have all Phil, VVD and Ali. Like it or not, there will be a group of fans who no matter what, want to keep all the best Human Resources on the team disregarding money, players’ desire, player value and depreciation etc. and my response echoed this group of fans. It’s an opinion, though may seem extreme or ridiculous to you but is not wrong. If our owner is a Sheikh, Phil would stay if the oil sheikh makes him the highest paid player in the world. This view isn’t wrong. None of us could say for sure if Phil would still stay or go.

3) your post is saying we’d have gone for VVD and Ali anyway, and Phil who didn’t want to play for us, would leave no matter what. That’s your opinion and your alternative view. Nothing wrong and that’s very fine. You believe that he wasn’t sold to finance VVD and Ali. That’s ok too. There are those who believe the books need to balance and there are those who believe otherwise. The truth lies with Mike Edwards, Mike Gordon and his acquisition team. Nobody really knows. It’s all good till here.

I take issue with your last sentence. Me made what sh*t up? And what’s my agenda? Who have I hurt in this little post of mine? What do you not like about this post? I have posted a view, I have explained and clarified that post. In a way, I’ve addressed your last question. Now, clarify your last sentence by explaining what sh*t did I make up, who did I accuse and what personal agenda do I have? Who did you think I intended to destroy?

The three posts show a diversity of views, all of which deserve respect and regard from each of their viewpoints. Now please respond and go on to explain with that one post I made, how am I your fellow red, is inciting something that I don’t even understand, but only you do. Clarify please.

And none of our posts would change how FSG or Jürgen would manage things on and off the pitch.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #144: Sep 11, 2022 06:39:26 pm
      there are questions about pre-season being different as Jürgen tries to protect his players in a crazy year with a World Cup in th emiddleof it and if that is true we should see normal service resumed fairly soon.  I would be happy with a boring 1-0 win on tuesday and a good defensive display.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #145: Sep 18, 2022 04:21:52 pm
      And it could cost us as Spurs & Arsenal have made a strong start. City obviously. Arteta brought on a 15 year old for the last few minutes of a decent 3-0 win at Brentford.

Rodgers under the cosh as Spurs battered them esp in the second half. We are now 9 points adrift of Arsenal at the top, GIH but not a guaranteed win at Chelsea. We've got 9 games in October , 6 of them in the Premier League, City & Arsenal included...we better get our arse in gear.

Got Brighton and Rangers at home before we bugger off down to Arteta's mob.
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #146: Sep 19, 2022 10:32:45 am
      And it could cost us as Spurs & Arsenal have made a strong start. City obviously. Arteta brought on a 15 year old for the last few minutes of a decent 3-0 win at Brentford.

Rodgers under the cosh as Spurs battered them esp in the second half. We are now 9 points adrift of Arsenal at the top, GIH but not a guaranteed win at Chelsea. We've got 9 games in October , 6 of them in the Premier League, City & Arsenal included...we better get our arse in gear.

We could actually struggle for top 4 this year. It's very worrying
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #147: Sep 19, 2022 11:42:51 am

League title hopes for us are remote. Rebuilding of the team will continue through this season and probably next (a lot of the parts are already here). We can still compete for high honors, just not that one, this season. Jürgen and staff will keep working to get the feel around the club, as well as the performances of the team, right. I look forward to him bringing us back to the summit before too long.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #148: Sep 19, 2022 11:54:10 am
      Early doors.

With an almost fully fit squad, I fully expect us to rack up the wins October & November.

We are out of nothing yet.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #149: Sep 19, 2022 01:14:45 pm

I don't think there's ground for being this pessimistic. Our start was bad but we still have a very good team with players who know each other.

I doubt we're still in the race for the league but we can still win a cup or two.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #150: Sep 19, 2022 02:01:56 pm

We might not.

You've got no F***ing faith in the Reds. Why bother supporting us?

You'd would of definitely fu**ed off at half-time in the Attaturk!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #151: Sep 19, 2022 02:04:53 pm
      We might not.

You've got no f**king faith in the Reds. Why bother supporting us?

You'd would of definitely fu**ed off at half-time in the Attaturk!!

HR you're on a F***ing roll this afternoon! Is there anyone not in your sights??!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #152: Sep 19, 2022 02:10:26 pm
      HR you're on a F***ing roll this afternoon! Is there anyone not in your sights??!

Boredom of a bank holiday!!

The F***ing pessimism about the reds from this clown though, I wonder why he bothers supporting us sometimes.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #153: Sep 19, 2022 02:44:41 pm
      On the boredom bank holiday theme I'll go back to the Trent dilemma. Move into midfield or not. Plenty have knocked the idea, I think it's worth a shot...but there is a third option.

3 at the back, as Konata is injured I'll go with the Gomez, Matip.VVD. With Robbo on our left.

Trent makes up the fluid back 5. This gives Trent much more licence to support the attack, also to see if he can handle this position. Wing back essentially. It also sorts out that ball over the top on Trent's side as Joe can give cover. It also strengthens us through the middle making it harder to get in behind us, which has been a problem.

So the option would look like this:

Ali
              Joe....Matip....VVD

Trent................... .........Robbo

Fabinho......Thiago

Mo..............Nunez... ....... Diaz

Gives Trent licence, gives Matip a bit more freedom to go with the forward runs, protects the Trent position when he gets high, better strength through the centre. Not anything new obviously but a third option, slight reinvention.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #154: Sep 19, 2022 03:08:29 pm
      On the boredom bank holiday theme I'll go back to the Trent dilemma. Move into midfield or not. Plenty have knocked the idea, I think it's worth a shot...but there is a third option.

3 at the back, as Konata is injured I'll go with the Gomez, Matip.VVD. With Robbo on our left.

Trent makes up the fluid back 5. This gives Trent much more licence to support the attack, also to see if he can handle this position. Wing back essentially. It also sorts out that ball over the top on Trent's side as Joe can give cover. It also strengthens us through the middle making it harder to get in behind us, which has been a problem.

So the option would look like this:

Ali
              Joe....Matip....VVD

Trent................... .........Robbo

Fabinho......Thiago

Mo..............Nunez... ....... Diaz

Gives Trent licence, gives Matip a bit more freedom to go with the forward runs, protects the Trent position when he gets high, better strength through the centre. Not anything new obviously but a third option, slight reinvention.

Klopp doesn’t play that formation, he’s said it several times he doesn’t like that formation.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #155: Sep 19, 2022 03:29:43 pm
      Klopp doesn’t play that formation, he’s said it several times he doesn’t like that formation.

Could be an option in the tough away games. But yes I know he plays a 4-3-3 system most of the time and it's a fluid system mostly. Common held belief that it's our high line that causes problems well then, that extra man covering could help deal with that. Teams are targeting Trent and although I think a lot of it is he doesn't always get cover from midfield, his defending is an issue.

Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #156: Sep 19, 2022 03:38:14 pm
      We did have a battle for top 4 during the lockdown season and had Ali to thank. Thanks Ali. But although it might not be a struggle it is causing some concern. It is more than ever that top 4 is a must. I haven't much clue about all these conference league things and I don't want to know, just looks like a feckin' rats arse competition for the likes of Mancheater United and West Ham.

We have to steer clear of that crap.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #157: Sep 19, 2022 03:57:07 pm
      HR you're on a f**king roll this afternoon! Is there anyone not in your sights??!

I could be next….  :f_whistle:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #158: Sep 19, 2022 06:42:21 pm
      Now now children, play nice, or don't play at all.

On topic and stop this sh*t. Capeesh?
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #159: Sep 19, 2022 09:32:20 pm
      Agree we should try and be positive and hope the players return refreshed, after this latest enforced break. Find some real form and start racking up an unbeaten run !
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #160: Sep 20, 2022 07:03:26 pm
      Tell ya what la, Liverpool fans are some greedy F***ing bas**rds.

We're three wins, one draw and a defeat from our last five games. Three consecutive wins at Anfield in all competitions. 14 goals scored to 6 conceded. Most teams would give their right arm for a run like that.

Alright the results and performances immediately following the Charity Shield weren't quite what we wanted or expected. But since defeat at Old Trafford, we've been on a decent run - Napoli aside where the entire side was shocking. And every side during the season has a bad spell, we've got ours out the way. So now we're just gonna go into the mode where we tw*t everybody in our sights and by the time the world cup rolls around, we'll be sitting pretty at the top of the table.

Quick Reply