Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man Utd?

Alisson Becker
      5 (8.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      5 (8.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      21 (33.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      10 (16.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      8 (12.9%)
       Fabinho
      2 (3.2%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)
      Fábio Carvalho
      10 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: Aug 26, 2022 09:54:22 pm

Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24042 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #989: Aug 23, 2022 07:46:11 pm
      My last pissed off post on this disastrous start. Wasnt it nice to be the team that not only sancho (who is crap) and frigging rashford got their careers back on track but the whole f**king club

Nearly worth a + that Tads  ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #990: Aug 23, 2022 08:01:42 pm
      Can I explain? Not really Billy but I can hazard a guess but that’s all. For me ( some may say I’m biased ) it’s the biggest derby in the world, correct me if I’m wrong? Is this the most watched league match in world football? If that isn’t enough of a platform for players to show their best then it’s time for the players to fcuk off.

Rashford was re vitalised and ran rings round his England team mate Trent arguably had one of his worse games in a Liverpool shirt. I’ve already stated your team highly depleted due to injuries is one of the significant reasons why we also had the edge on the nite.

Also I think the team is highly fatigued still due to last years success, hence the poor start to the season.

I think leaving Ronaldo & Maguire is Ten Hag putting his stamp on going forward, wouldn’t surprise if offers came in before transfer window closes they both go. Ten Hag obviously now thinking long term which most definitely rules out Ronaldo. As you know Maguire has been one of the worse signings United could of made, reminds me of when you lot also paid a fortune ( at the time ) for Andy Carroll who was also a flop.

Now the $64 million dollar question like you said is can we repeat it? Honestly!!! i don’t think so. All I can say in our defence is Ten Hag is so highly rated within the United camp they do think they have it right this time.

Time will tell but as a manc I’m well and truly sitting on the fence ( don’t mind the splinters ) and not getting carried away with last nites win. Don’t get me wrong beating you lot made it extra special just as it would of been if you beat us to put another nail in our coffin.

I’m fully expecting normal service to resume  weekend so will continue to milk the 5 days with my Scouse friends, not just on here  but also my poker mates.   ;D

Interesting points regarding ‘fatigue’ not sure I’d agree, they’ve all had plenty of recovery time in the close season, the injury issues are clearly why our cylinders are barely warm never mind firing, but then not playing Fab from the start was catastrophic, it enabled your mids to run all over ours, so mistakes from Jürgen as well as being 4/5 players of high quality light,

Trent as you say got slightly bullied but this raises another issue, right now there is no alternative to Trent, we signed the young fella Calvin Ramsey from the sheep shaggers of Aberdeen but it’s way too early to Chuck him in at the deep end, Gomez can cover but we need him next to Virgil, Milner is fine short term but it’s not solving the issue, if anyone is feeling it it’s Virgil, I still can’t believe how static he was for the Sancho goal, he just didn’t move forwards to block or attempt to win the ball, very odd from the big fella,

Very wise to stay grounded Keith, you’ve been round the block too many times, all I hope for is you have the same level of intensity against those noisy Cnuts as you did V us. 🤪

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #991: Aug 23, 2022 08:19:06 pm

Interesting points regarding ‘fatigue’ not sure I’d agree, they’ve all had plenty of recovery time in the close season, the injury issues are clearly why our cylinders are barely warm never mind firing, but then not playing Fab from the start was catastrophic, it enabled your mids to run all over ours, so mistakes from Jürgen as well as being 4/5 players of high quality light,

Trent as you say got slightly bullied but this raises another issue, right now there is no alternative to Trent, we signed the young fella Calvin Ramsey from the sheep shaggers of Aberdeen but it’s way too early to Chuck him in at the deep end, Gomez can cover but we need him next to Virgil, Milner is fine short term but it’s not solving the issue, if anyone is feeling it it’s Virgil, I still can’t believe how static he was for the Sancho goal, he just didn’t move forwards to block or attempt to win the ball, very odd from the big fella,

Very wise to stay grounded Keith, you’ve been round the block too many times, all I hope for is you have the same level of intensity against those noisy Cnuts as you did V us. 🤪

Now that’s where I disagree, I don’t think you lads had enough time to recover. Remembering your squad nothing like City’s where basically you have a best 11/15 players where’s as they probably have 20.

From what I’ve read on here Fab wasn’t fit enough to play a full 90 mins so that’s why he came on as a sub.

Gomez I’ve openly said many times needs to go, makes so many errors and isn’t  a first team player, squad player at best and even then I think I’m doing him a favour.

Milner is now a sub player, been a great servant but the fact he keeps starting proves how bad your midfield now is and will most definitely cost you any chance of winning the league.

Got some great videos/pictures of VVD that I’ve sent a few of you lads taking the p!ss  ;D you’ve probably already seen them.  Yeah he also had a bad game but you just know it’s not if! It’s when he hits form. I’m a big fan of how cool/calm/collective the man is. He never lost it when Milner giving him a right bollocking.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #992: Aug 23, 2022 09:22:03 pm
      Now that’s where I disagree, I don’t think you lads had enough time to recover. Remembering your squad nothing like City’s where basically you have a best 11/15 players where’s as they probably have 20.

From what I’ve read on here Fab wasn’t fit enough to play a full 90 mins so that’s why he came on as a sub.

Gomez I’ve openly said many times needs to go, makes so many errors and isn’t  a first team player, squad player at best and even then I think I’m doing him a favour.

Milner is now a sub player, been a great servant but the fact he keeps starting proves how bad your midfield now is and will most definitely cost you any chance of winning the league.

Got some great videos/pictures of VVD that I’ve sent a few of you lads taking the p!ss  ;D you’ve probably already seen them.  Yeah he also had a bad game but you just know it’s not if! It’s when he hits form. I’m a big fan of how cool/calm/collective the man is. He never lost it when Milner giving him a right bollocking.

Everyone had the same time off tho mate, squad size doesn’t matter this time of the season, where all have had a pre-season, ours usually start 1st of July but i know Pep G starts later, but then factoring in new players is important for acclimatisation, so maybe that’s why Jürgen starts earlier, I’d be more inclined to blame niggles & strains keeping players from the training paddock and subsequently from first team selection, rather than being tired,

Fair shout regarding Fabinho, I guess it’s down to managerial prerogative, personally I’d have started him and subbed him later, and the Joe Gomez debate will rumble on and on, the lad has been plagued by injuries as you well know, but for me he is Virgil’s perfect foil, he’s quick, reads the game well and unlike Matip is more aggressive, Konate is similar but he’s bulkier and perhaps less mobile, Gomez needs a run in the side which will allow him to get back to his best, he’s just signed a new contract so clearly Jürgen has him in his plans, maybe a partnership with Konate, who knows, but if Joe can stay injury free, he’ll take some shifting,

Can’t disagree on Milner, it’s absolutely amazing he’s still going, so huge kudos to him, not many 37 year olds still playing never mind playing in the EPL, this I think will be the last season though, he’s destined for our academy that’s for sure, and possibly the dugout, our Pep alluded to ‘one player’ he said he would have as his assistant right now, and I think he meant Jimmy, maybe that’s why Virgil took a step back last night when they had their tête-à-tête,

As for the title, never, and I mean NEVER, right us off, we are steeped in come backs, you know that, we hauled back a 14 point lead on Citeh last season in a dozen games or so, and only some very very dodgy VAR decisions in their favour, stopped us winning No20 .

Bonjour

Y  N  W  A                                         

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #993: Aug 23, 2022 09:35:02 pm

Everyone had the same time off tho mate, squad size doesn’t matter this time of the season, where all have had a pre-season, ours usually start 1st of July but i know Pep G starts later, but then factoring in new players is important for acclimatisation, so maybe that’s why Jürgen starts earlier, I’d be more inclined to blame niggles & strains keeping players from the training paddock and subsequently from first team selection, rather than being tired,

Fair shout regarding Fabinho, I guess it’s down to managerial prerogative, personally I’d have started him and subbed him later, and the Joe Gomez debate will rumble on and on, the lad has been plagued by injuries as you well know, but for me he is Virgil’s perfect foil, he’s quick, reads the game well and unlike Matip is more aggressive, Konate is similar but he’s bulkier and perhaps less mobile, Gomez needs a run in the side which will allow him to get back to his best, he’s just signed a new contract so clearly Jürgen has him in his plans, maybe a partnership with Konate, who knows, but if Joe can stay injury free, he’ll take some shifting,

Can’t disagree on Milner, it’s absolutely amazing he’s still going, so huge kudos to him, not many 37 year olds still playing never mind playing in the EPL, this I think will be the last season though, he’s destined for our academy that’s for sure, and possibly the dugout, our Pep alluded to ‘one player’ he said he would have as his assistant right now, and I think he meant Jimmy, maybe that’s why Virgil took a step back last night when they had their tête-à-tête,

As for the title, never, and I mean NEVER, right us off, we are steeped in come backs, you know that, we hauled back a 14 point lead on Citeh last season in a dozen games or so, and only some very very dodgy VAR decisions in their favour, stopped us winning No20 .

Bonjour

Y  N  W  A                                         

Would never right you off, only a fool would. Your so so wrong about Gomez but time will tell who’s right and who’s wrong.

Au revoir
      Stevie G the legend
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts | 15 
      Reply #994: Aug 23, 2022 09:49:46 pm
      Thiago gets injured in every other game. Really disappointing.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 731 
      Reply #995: Aug 23, 2022 10:41:47 pm

Bonjour

Y  N  W  A                                         
      In full agreement on fatigue issue. It's a bone idle lazy excuse wheeled out when some people find the real reason(s) difficult to pinpoint. It's not like 20/30 years ago, these players are elite athletes working to precise analytical metrics. They didn't look tired at Wembley did they?
      The real reasons leading to these last 3 results have been debated ad infinitum and it's clear to most why we've come unstuck....and it's not fatigue.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #996: Aug 23, 2022 10:45:26 pm
      maybe a trip to the pub would help so they can sort out their differences.  They have collectively and individually been lauded these past few years maybe arrogance has crept in to some of them and maybe they are not quite as good as they think they are.
      I keep thinking about that Leeds game that was us a couple of years back like a pack of hungry Wolves
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #997: Aug 23, 2022 10:53:08 pm
      They have collectively and individually been lauded these past few years maybe arrogance has crept in

That could play a part. Let's face it they've won everything possible to win these last few years. Community Shield win probably gave a few the impression they could coast again.

Next six weeks or so is where the manager must get his players back and get them refocussed.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #998: Aug 23, 2022 10:59:09 pm
      That could play a part. Let's face it they've won everything possible to win these last few years. Community Shield win probably gave a few the impression they could coast again.

Next six weeks or so is where the manager must get his players back and get them refocussed.

is it also true that Jürgen normally stays for 5 or 6 years because quite frankly the man pours his very heart and soul into this work. What we had we seem to have lost our way somewhat. We need a bit of luck to get through 3 games this week or it could turn nasty as the 3rd game is Everton away
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #999: Aug 23, 2022 11:51:44 pm
      Gotta F***ing love the fickle football fan la.

This side, less than three months ago, was being lauded as the greatest Liverpool team EVER. Fast forward to the current game and suddenly these players are past it, never good enough to begin with and desperately in need of investment. I understand the notion of players ageing but a decline of greatest ever to struggling to stay up doesn't happen as quickly as it has.

A more realistic look at is our players are probably F***ing knackered. They played every single game possible last season and because of the F***ing bollocks of this world cup, this season has had to start earlier than usual (ours even earlier due to the charity shield) and then we've got the injuries mounting up meaning the players are playing even more minutes than Jürgen probably wants them to at this stage of the season.

The problems we're experiencing now are problems that have been noticeable with this group for years. Our defence has been exposed many times over the last few years, our midfield has offered nothing either defensively or offensively for years and the front three have tended to bail us out the sh*t with Bobby not being anywhere near as good as people made out. The difference this year to previous years is that teams are taking their chances against us rather than blowing them. And our front three is lacking the out and out pace of Sadio Mane, which always gave us a threat.

But it's still only three games. Three dreadful performances admittedly but three games nonetheless. If we'd won all three games and people started talking about winning the League then the biggest critics on here would be telling us not to get carried away and that it's only three games. Yet when it's three sh*t results, we're allowed to get carried away and say how F***ing disastrous this season already is.

What hurt most with last night was the lack of fight, rather than the lack of quality. United wanted it more and that's unacceptable for any Liverpool side. But it's done with now. Need to brush ourselves down and eventually get our season up and running with a win at the weekend.

Alisson - another performance where he didn't have much to do other than pick the ball out of his net. It's now five goals conceded from ten shots on target. Was lying on his arse by the time Sancho scored and should of done better with Rashford's effort in my opinion.

Alexander-Arnold - lad needs dropping for a few games just to either recharge or realise that he's not untouchable. The sale of Williams basically told Trent that he had no competition for his place and he's now able to coast. Maybe if Matip and Konate weren't injured, then Gomez would be getting a run out at full back or at least coming off the bench but right now, it's just easy for Trent to carry on doing what he's doing. Far too slow on the uptake for the first goal and once again F**k all in an attacking sense.

Gomez - probably the best of the lot in the back four but didn't cover himself in glory either. At least he got himself in the way of the odd attack though. Still doesn't look fully fit or sharp though.

Van Dijk - another sh*t performance from somebody once labelled as our best centre half of all time. He wasn't then and he certainly isn't now. Shocking for the first goal where he didn't even attempt to block it. He doesn't have to throw himself on the floor but at least make some effort. And like the Mitrovic penalty and the Zaha goal, if he goes and deals with the original ball played down the line then Rashford can't turn in the first place to keep the attack going. Van Dijk was twenty yards off him, leaving him all the space in the world to turn.

Robertson - another blah performance from the Jock. Nothing stands out as particaurly poor but nothing of anything good either. Almost just a making up the numbers kind of performance. We needed 11 players so Robbo was on the pitch but didn't actually play.

Elliott - lots of huff and puff from the young lad and the only one who looked like trying in my eyes. Didn't give the ball away as often as the others. Doesn't look good enough overall but at least he was trying, which is more than can be said for those around him.

Henderson - the sort of performance that Hendo is known for. A lot of nothing. It's these performances that people who criticise Henderson will bang on about. When the chips are down, he doesn't do enough. He doesn't grab games by the scruff of the neck. But I still feel without him that we lack a real leader on the pitch. He's almost worth his place for his captaincy if not his actual ability.

Milner - showed a bit of passion, which is more than most did. But unfortunately at his age, he's not going to deliver great performances to go with that passion. And it showed last night. I feel sorry for him though because he does try and he does care but he's just not up to 90 minutes any more. And like most of the side, had injuries not ravaged our squad this early in the campaign then Milly wouldn't be expected to play as much as he has.

Salah - three goals in four games. He's doing his job of putting the ball in the back of the net. He's not doing much else but if at the end of the season he's still scored in 75% of our games then he's going to be considered to of had another great season. It doesn't help that those around him are underperforming as much as they are, when one of our most dangerous avenues of attack is the combination of Trent, Hendo and Mo.

Firmino - in a bit Bob. You were never good enough in my opinion and now it's becoming more glaringly obvious to more people.

Diaz - I said it after the Palace game but it looks like he's changed the way he plays, either subconsciously or tactically from Klopp, but last season when he got the ball he'd run at the defence. This season he seems to be running back towards our defence more than the opposition. Whether not having Mane in the middle is making less space for Luis I don't know but he doesn't seem to pose the same problems he was when he first arrived.

Fabinho - came on, did nothing. No surprise.

Carvalho - came on, did try a few things but nothing really came off. At least he was trying though, hopefully gets a few more minutes over the next couple of games.

Tsmikas - came on, did nothing in those limited minutes.

Overall - a bitterly disappointing performance from top to bottom. And three poor performances on the run does start the alarm bells ringing. Hopefully it's just a case of a bad run of form, god knows we're F***ing due one after the success we've enjoyed over the last few years. Couple of wins and it's all looking rosy again and we'll be back to being the champions elect.

As I said at the start of this post, gotta love the fickle football fan.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #1000: Aug 23, 2022 11:56:39 pm
      If our injured midfielders are expected to be out for anything more than a week, it’s time to buy.
      We deffo need to refresh in there. We can’t move forwards with what we have currently available that’s for sure.
      That’s just 7 days to identify, negotiate a price, get medical clearance, agree personal terms and sign.
      Hope somebody’s already on it, or we may be seeing more of the same.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1001: Aug 24, 2022 12:06:34 am
      First league defeat since December. No one can argue we haven't been great. People carrying on as if we've been relegated. Some very short memories combined with some absolute sh*t been spouted on here. Surely this team and manager deserves a bit of faith instead of most of the players being dismissed as Sunday league level.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 731 
      Reply #1002: Aug 24, 2022 12:46:59 am
      First league defeat since December. No one can argue we haven't been great. People carrying on as if we've been relegated. Some very short memories combined with some absolute sh*t been spouted on here. Surely this team and manager deserves a bit of faith instead of most of the players being dismissed as Sunday league level.
      Supporters have every right to articulate their frustrations and anger when the team underperforms, especially when the consensus is that we were outfought. It's not about short memories, we have had a feast of great memories these past 5 years or so, but the past is the past.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1003: Aug 24, 2022 05:51:05 pm
      Supporters have every right to articulate their frustrations and anger when the team underperforms, especially when the consensus is that we were outfought. It's not about short memories, we have had a feast of great memories these past 5 years or so, but the past is the past.

Knee jerk hysteria isn't articulate, and we are talking about weeks and months not years. There has been a huge overreaction to a couple of bad performances, and the attempt to rewrite history by people to try and peddle agendas. Nonsense about underachieving in the last 5 years at that seems to be the latest theory amongst some. People need to sit back and show some perspective.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #1004: Aug 24, 2022 08:35:11 pm
      Quote from Harrisimo
      we are still above Everton..means a lot when you come from Bootle..so no need to panic.

Well if that's all we want this season, we really don't have much to worry about tbh. Certainly it's not grounds for 1,000 posts in a post mortem thread.

The last time I was even bothered about finishing above them was 1986. It's the only time we could finish above them and have a parade for it. The world has moved on since then, and we have bigger fish to fry now.

Quote from dunlop liddell shankly
      A more realistic look at is our players are probably F***ing knackered. They played every single game possible last season and because of the F***ing bollocks of this world cup, this season has had to start earlier than usual (ours even earlier due to the charity shield) and then we've got the injuries mounting up meaning the players are playing even more minutes than Jürgen probably wants them to at this stage of the season.

Knackered from what? They have had very little travel to do lately, and only played 3 games in 3,5 weeks. Well some of them anyway. And most only played 50 odd games last year, rested at various points in the season. This is the easy bit, before the 2-3 games a week kick off. If they're knackered now, what the hell will they be like by May? This is their job, and there's going to be far more tiring times of the year than this.

Quote from Fabio Aurelio
      I HATE losing to the scum. Pathetic display by us but I wish nothing but the worst for that club and its fans.

As bad as we were, United only scored one legitimate goal. The second goal was clearly offside when looking at the replay we were shown.

The replay showed he was onside, the lines were drawn out for you on the spot, so there's no debate to be had.

Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Don't care if it's early and only 3 games in, can forget challenging for the league this season. Pathetic.

In the bigger picture, we dropped 1 more point to City at the weekend. It could have been much worse than that.

Quote from Tadders
      I will say it. Elliot should be in the reserves. He produces nothing at this level.

We don't have a reserve team, which is why he was sent to Blackburn 2 years ago. I think he's been one of the few bright spots in the campaign so far, always looking to get forward and create. He's no Thiago but when he gets to his age, he might be in the same category. There are far worse players than him out there atm.

But this is what it's like when we lose A league game. It's so long since the last one, you would be forgiven if you forgot exactly when it was. The reality is we have played 3 centre back partnerships in 3 games, which was always likely to bring chaos and consequences at the back, and it has. We have a severe injury crisis in midfield again, and also upfront which doesn't help matters, and it's the 7th game running that we went behind. There was bound to be a time when we were not going to be able to come back.

That said, we were unlucky not to get something out of it. We had 70% possession, Diaz missed an open goal from 4 yards, there was almost 2 own goals scored for us. If just one of them went in, we wouldn't be talking about urgent radical surgery. But as they didn't go in, things are going to be said and have been. It's still hard to read mad stuff said about Diaz and Elliott, and elsewhere, that Nunez is a "serious downgrade" on Mane. Mane was here 6 years, he (and they) has barely got in the door, 2 of them don't even speak English. Elliott set up the goal we did get with a fantastic header, yet people come here and tell us all that he produces nothing, and needs to be put in a reserve team that doesn't exist.

This blast from the past is a reminder how it feels to lose to them in that rust bucket. It's their cup final so they were always going to be up for it, but if it takes another 13 of our players unavailable for it to happen again, I'm sure it will be a bloody long time.

Credit to Salah for setting our new goalscoring record against the mancs. We were 14 points behind shortly after we lost our last league game and took the race all the way to the wire. Now we're 5 points behind City with 105 points still to play for. There's no need to think about next year just yet. All we need is one win, and we'll start jumping up that table. Or at least well clear of Everton anyway. 
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,277 posts | 762 
      Reply #1005: Aug 24, 2022 09:16:16 pm
      Disappointing result the other night to say the least, beaten by Manure ! I thought all our players where well off form, certainly need to buck our ideas up for the visit of Bournemouth on Saturday. btw glad to be back online after problems with my laptop, needing a new hard drive costing £60 to be fixed ! Anyway great to be back posting once again.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 731 
      Reply #1006: Aug 24, 2022 09:32:08 pm
      Knee jerk hysteria isn't articulate, and we are talking about weeks and months not years. There has been a huge overreaction to a couple of bad performances, and the attempt to rewrite history by people to try and peddle agendas. Nonsense about underachieving in the last 5 years at that seems to be the latest theory amongst some. People need to sit back and show some perspective.
      What might seem hysterical to you might feel reasoned and balanced to someone else. I would also defend anyone's right to say what they like...as is your right to strongly disagree.

Quick Reply