Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Arthur Melo (Juventus)

Read 12817 times
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: Arthur Melo (Juventus)
      Reply #92: Sep 01, 2022 12:45:34 pm
      I forgot about this player, remeber him at Barca when he came from Gremio where was a ton of hype about him.

Slick player and has far as style wise considering how much ball teams are willing to give us having another deep laying playmaker is nice as it help counter that.

Would prefer if there was a option to buy if things work out well he fits the age profile and with bodies leaving at the end of the season we could use numbers but so be it see what he can contribute this season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #93: Sep 01, 2022 01:11:02 pm
      Looks like this will happen. Feels a bit of a last minute thing, but we did leave it til the last minute so ...
      Still, let's give the guy a chance. Assuming JĆ¼rgen uses him.  We need cover in the middle so if he can do a job for us, fair enough.

Yes, our recruitment team have mostly done well. His injury not quite as bad as I thought. He wants to be here. We need a good midfielder. Officially giving it a chance.
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #94: Sep 01, 2022 01:19:55 pm
      Hopefully we add the option to buy.  I remember the hype for him too before he went to Barcelona.   If he finds that form for us, would be a good signing. 

Also this type of deal keeps our money ready for Jude. 
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #95: Sep 01, 2022 01:26:04 pm
      I forgot about this player, remeber him at Barca when he came from Gremio where was a ton of hype about him.

Slick player and has far as style wise considering how much ball teams are willing to give us having another deep laying playmaker is nice as it help counter that.

Would prefer if there was a option to buy if things work out well he fits the age profile and with bodies leaving at the end of the season we could use numbers but so be it see what he can contribute this season.

Yup. Way back when there was a lot of hype about Melo when he was rumored to leave Gremio. Same for Paqueta.

They obviously fear Henderson's injury is significant if they had to go out and bring in a stop gap.
      TKO94
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts | 21 
      Reply #96: Sep 01, 2022 01:28:45 pm
      Afternoon everyone, hope youā€™re doing well. As someone whoā€™s followed Arthur Meloā€™s career fairly closely, I wanted to share a short video detailing everything you need to know about him and why I believe heā€™ll be a really successful signing for Liverpool (despite the murmurings of discontent amongst some in the fan base). As always, Iā€™d love to hear your thoughts and am happy to answer any questions you may have, cheers and have a great day!

https://youtu.be/9ueKsifz89Y

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #97: Sep 01, 2022 01:37:39 pm
      Afternoon everyone, hope youā€™re doing well. As someone whoā€™s followed Arthur Meloā€™s career fairly closely, I wanted to share a short video detailing everything you need to know about him and why I believe heā€™ll be a really successful signing for Liverpool (despite the murmurings of discontent amongst some in the fan base). As always, Iā€™d love to hear your thoughts and am happy to answer any questions you may have, cheers and have a great day!

https://youtu.be/9ueKsifz89Y

OK, I clicked.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #98: Sep 01, 2022 02:00:41 pm
      Half of the forum "Sign someone, anyone, we need a midfielder".

Liverpool signs a midfielder

Half of the forum "He's sh*t".

Personally, going to wait and see if/how this pans out before I pass judgement. Sounds like best case scenario could be pretty good. Worst case scenario we are no worse off than we were. Hopefully Fab and Elliott stay healthy.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #99: Sep 01, 2022 02:14:07 pm
      Yes, our recruitment team have mostly done well. His injury not quite as bad as I thought. He wants to be here. We need a good midfielder. Officially giving it a chance.

Yep, in the main, very well. There was Ben Davies tho recently. But hoping this guy can help us, fingers crossed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #100: Sep 01, 2022 02:14:45 pm
      Half of the forum "Sign someone, anyone, we need a midfielder".

Liverpool signs a midfielder

Half of the forum "He's sh*t".

Personally, going to wait and see if/how this pans out before I pass judgement. Sounds like best case scenario could be pretty good. Worst case scenario we are no worse off than we were. Hopefully Fab and Elliott stay healthy.

Legitimate question is how we have ended up in this situation knowing full well we needed at least 2 new CMā€™s at the start of the season.

Gambling that injury prone players stay fit is not good planning.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #101: Sep 01, 2022 02:20:06 pm
      Legitimate question is how we have ended up in this situation knowing full well we needed at least 2 new CMā€™s at the start of the season.

Well the start of the season was what...a few weeks ago? So you can just snap your fingers and get two CMs bought that are the type of guys that Klopp wants and will be around for 4-5 years? I'm all for it, but I don't think it's as easy as just ringing someone up and saying "We want to buy your world class (or really good) CM".
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #102: Sep 01, 2022 02:21:05 pm

Did we know that though?

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #103: Sep 01, 2022 02:21:15 pm
      https://twitter.com/BrasilEdition/status/1565313710356324360?s=20

An account that is an expert in players from Brazil.

We're talking about Arthur being a replacement for Thiago,
      when, from this thread, he looks to be a better replacement for Wijnaldum.

Operates best with a 10 and 6 in the same team.
      Means he'll work best with Elliott/Carvalho and Fabinho/Henderson.
      Presuming that Ox is injured and Keita unavailable.
      Either way he fits into that role that Liverpool hasn't quite filled since Gini left.
      IF he stays fit.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #104: Sep 01, 2022 02:24:44 pm
      Well the start of the season was what...a few weeks ago? So you can just snap your fingers and get two CMs bought that are the type of guys that Klopp wants and will be around for 4-5 years? I'm all for it, but I don't think it's as easy as just ringing someone up and saying "We want to buy your world class (or really good) CM".

No start of the season is when the previous one ended.
      Contingency planning means you are looking forward.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #105: Sep 01, 2022 02:27:16 pm
      https://twitter.com/BrasilEdition/status/1565313710356324360?s=20

An account that is an expert in players from Brazil.

We're talking about Arthur being a replacement for Thiago,
      when, from this thread, he looks to be a better replacement for Wijnaldum.

Operates best with a 10 and 6 in the same team.
      Means he'll work best with Elliott/Carvalho and Fabinho/Henderson.
      Presuming that Ox is injured and Keita unavailable.
      Either way he fits into that role that Liverpool hasn't quite filled since Gini left.
      IF he stays fit.

I would imagine he will be used to give Fab a rest in the odd game and also with the 5 sub rule.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #106: Sep 01, 2022 02:27:20 pm
      No start of the season is when the previous one ended.
      Contingency planning means you are looking forward.

At the end of last year we had what...10 fit midfielders? And we just came off of competing for 4 trophies? Why in the world would anyone think we need 2 midfielders at that point in time when we just about bossed every competition we were in with the ones we had? Also knowing (if you believe the reports) that Klopp wants Jude and we know he'll be willing to wait to get him.
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #107: Sep 01, 2022 02:39:16 pm
      I would imagine he will be used to give Fab a rest in the odd game and also with the 5 sub rule.

Who's this Twitter guy? Shows how much he knows. Paqueta would have meant us actually bidding for someone which means we were never in for him. Bloody Twitter
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #108: Sep 01, 2022 02:45:41 pm
      At the end of last year we had what...10 fit midfielders? And we just came off of competing for 4 trophies? Why in the world would anyone think we need 2 midfielders at that point in time when we just about bossed every competition we were in with the ones we had? Also knowing (if you believe the reports) that Klopp wants Jude and we know he'll be willing to wait to get him.

We were completely spent in the two finals where we couldnā€™t score a goal and the CL final we didnā€™t really show up.
      Milner should not be playing, Hendo showed he is really a bit part player then on top you have permanent crocks like Thiago, Naby and Curtis.

So yeah I reckon at minimum 1 CM was required and another next season if Bellingham is not available

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #109: Sep 01, 2022 02:55:55 pm
      We were completely spent in the two finals where we couldnā€™t score a goal and the CL final we didnā€™t really show up.
      Milner should not be playing, Hendo showed he is really a bit part player then on top you have permanent crocks like Thiago, Naby and Curtis.

So yeah I reckon at minimum 1 CM was required and another next season if Bellingham is not available

And they tried to sign one. The dude that went to Real Madrid. And obviously Klopp wanted him and didn't have a long list of backups. Or the backups he had on his list weren't available. It happens. Look at the Virgil buy.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 849 
      Reply #110: Sep 01, 2022 03:02:28 pm
      I remember him from his Barcelona days. He had a bright start and was very much hyped, but then him and Pjanic were victims of Barca and Juve wanting to clean their books so they both go shipped the other way in a weird swap deal that somehow also involved money if I remember correctly. If I recall, he didn't  want to leave Barcelona. Regardless, he's been sort of muted ever since joining Juventus and fell down the pecking order pretty quickly on top of having numerous injuries.

All in all, I think its a logical move. It seems all the targets we rate and want are, one way or another, not available so the idea of going and spending a transfer fee, in this crazy market, and giving someone a 3+ year contract when we pertinently know we would not go for him in 6 months time makes no sense especially when you don't operate with the knowledge that you have unlimited money to spend. In addition to that, despite not including a buy option in the deal, if he was to surprise Klopp and make himself loved to the point where we want to buy him, it would be a fairly simple deal, I think, because Juventus have pretty much redecorated their whole midfield in the past few windows and they don't seem to want him. They added Pogba, Locatelli, Zakaria, McKennie and now Paredes (him being his direct replacement I think) + they have an extra two promising midfielders coming through the ranks in Miretti and Fagioli.

As for the player himself, Arthur played mainly as a CDM for Juventus, but he can also operate as a CM. The main things he adds to a midfield are dropping low between the two center halves to offer support and passing options, he looks to break lines of pressure with vertical passes (which we are having a nightmare with so far this season), and he also will distribute the ball to the side a lot whenever there's no options through the middle. He is press resistant and sometimes will look to pivot and run a few yards with the ball before dispatching a pass, but you will not see him run with the ball as much you see Naby do for instance. His passing catalogue is decent, but nothing like Thiago or Trent's. He will look for vertical passes that are shorter and more simple in nature than those of Thiago and Trent. Arthur also tend to no participate high up the pitch often, but when he does he can deliver those final passes into the box. I'm guessing we'll see that last point a fair few times simply because we tend to control possession and teams sit back and defend deep against us.

My guess is that Arthur will most probably play the CM and CDM roles considering Hendo is the only senior back up for Fabinho. My big doubts about him are his injuries and his physicality. He did not strike me as a very physical player, but the good news is that he played in Serie A which, in my opinion, is probably the most physical top league after ours so he's not coming here from a league where physicality is very low in comparison to ours.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #111: Sep 01, 2022 03:04:17 pm
      I remember thinking Arthur was an incredible passer of the ball when we played Barca.

Considering we usually have most of the possession, I think it could be a shrewd move.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #112: Sep 01, 2022 03:10:35 pm
      And they tried to sign one. The dude that went to Real Madrid. And obviously Klopp wanted him and didn't have a long list of backups. Or the backups he had on his list weren't available. It happens. Look at the Virgil buy.

See I donā€™t buy the oft quoted Klopp only ever has his eyes on one target.

Like most clubs we will have a dosier on virtually every player in Europe and there will is multiple players for every position.

Comes down to money at the end of the day and more so with our club.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #113: Sep 01, 2022 03:14:37 pm

It always bewilders that people look to turn around winning trophies into a negative just because we won on penalties  - and the CL finalā€didnā€™t turn upā€ - we had 23 shots on goal with 10 on target - stopped by an out of this world display by Courtois who was man of the match
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #114: Sep 01, 2022 03:34:39 pm
      See I donā€™t buy the oft quoted Klopp only ever has his eyes on one target.

Like most clubs we will have a dosier on virtually every player in Europe and there will is multiple players for every position.

Comes down to money at the end of the day and more so with our club.

But it's not just money is it? We obviously had the money to buy the kid that went to RM. But he wanted to go there as opposed to come here. We apparently had the money to buy Sanchez, but he chose London over us (to his detriment). Is it about the money sometimes? Yes probably so, but I think there are certainly times in the past where we have shown that we will spend on a player Klopp really wants. I don't know about all of the other plan B players Klopp may have wanted.....like I said....we aren't shopping in discount bins usually.....we are typically buying players that are important to their teams and are wanted by other teams so I do think there can be reasons that we don't get Plan A or Plan B. If we are waiting on Bellingham, I sure hope we have plan B because if he decides he wants the paycheck....we might not be able to compete for him.

Quick Reply