Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Arthur Melo (Juventus)

Read 12915 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Re: Arthur Melo (Juventus)
      Reply #69: Sep 01, 2022 11:15:29 am
      My issue is we clearly needed a midfielder and Klopp came out and said it. After that, JĆ¼rgen has told us, the right type of player is not available and so we won't do anything.

All of a sudden the right type of player is available? I think this is a real panic buy with no financial commitment which tells me the whole time this was a financial thing and that's why I question FSG the way I do.

They can't bang on about there being money but no one to sign and then find a guy, who from the outside is clearly not the right player due to his attrbutes and injury record etc, then bring him in on loan.

There's other midfiders out there who are way more suited to our game and as a big club, as long as we showed them decent money, we would have got our man.

The lack of ambition shown by the owners is Jan 2021 all over again and this signing proves it.

I hope he does well. The odds are stacked against him based on his attributes and this League.

Let's get behind him, as he'll be a red and rightly so, but this sh*t show of a performance from FSG should be remembered and not forgotten.

Went from there's no one out there that is the "right" player to signing, based on attributes ans stats, the wrong player.

This sh*t you couldn't make up.

Welcome Arthur and we'll be right behind you mate regardless.

To be frank mate I think you are talking nonsense and making a somewhat complicated situation sound like just signing players of FIFA.

It's obvious, based on what's said and previous transfers a la Virgil, that we are holding our for the absolute best player we can get for that position who isn't available right now.

Injury to Hendo has forced us to go for a shorter term option and one that I would guess has been on our radar and extensively scouted as that is our way.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #70: Sep 01, 2022 11:16:04 am
      Itā€™s one thing buying everything but you still have to implement it. Heā€™s not second best manager in the world for nothing.

what odds on DeJong finally arriving at UTD ?
      JĆ¼rgen looked miffed having to fend off the midfield question again. It is what it is and we will go with what we have.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,928 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #71: Sep 01, 2022 11:17:00 am
      what odds on DeJong finally arriving at UTD ?
      JĆ¼rgen looked miffed having to fend off the midfield question again. It is what it is and we will go with what we have.

Havenā€™t a clue Walt, Iā€™ve stopped second guessing what social media say.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3840 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #72: Sep 01, 2022 11:21:49 am
      At this stage, with the Henderson injury last night, the club desperately needs a CM in the door.
      In his prime we'd have gladly signed Arthur.
      As it is it's the club having to roll the dice on an unorthodox signing.

Obviously if it works out then great but it doesn't look like he's fit to play and
      he'll need a lot of work to gel into the system. 
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,207 posts | 1210 
      Reply #73: Sep 01, 2022 11:27:01 am
      I've no idea if he's any good. He's got some credentials having played for Barca, sold to Juve for big money and 20 odd Brazil caps, however his career seems to have stalled and irony of all ironies he is very injury prone.

He won't get a better chance to kick start his career that's for sure. Obviously an emergency signing as we didn't learn from our last great injury crisis that derailed our season but hopefully works out for us.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,928 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #74: Sep 01, 2022 11:27:53 am
      At this stage, with the Henderson injury last night, the club desperately needs a CM in the door.
      In his prime we'd have gladly signed Arthur.
      As it is it's the club having to roll the dice on an unorthodox signing.

This is exactly what it is racer, no way would Klopp have this player on the radar otherwise. This signing comes under ā€œ itā€™s better than nothingā€
      sonuxs
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 332 posts |
      Reply #75: Sep 01, 2022 11:27:59 am
      Itā€™s one thing buying everything but you still have to implement it. Heā€™s not second best manager in the world for nothing.

Partially agree . Only 3-4 managers have had access to that kind of privilege though and he is one of them. The other 2-3 aren't embarrassing either. It's akin to the odds of a billionaire's heir is bound to be a billionaire.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,608 posts | 3914 
      Reply #76: Sep 01, 2022 11:30:20 am
      Personally - I think we should be going for both Douglas Luiz and Arthur!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3840 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #77: Sep 01, 2022 11:37:52 am
      This is exactly what it is racer, no way would Klopp have this player on the radar otherwise. This signing comes under ā€œ itā€™s better than nothingā€

Comes in as another low risk signing when the club seems to be putting all its CM eggs in the one basket.
      LFC in a scrap for Top 4 now and you could see that in the angriest fist pumps I've ever seen Klopp perform.

Klopp knows we're in for a fight this season and that's what that signal was.
      He wants all the fans behind the team too.
      moe2187
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | 10 
      Reply #78: Sep 01, 2022 11:45:43 am
      Comes in as another low risk signing when the club seems to be putting all its CM eggs in the one basket.
      LFC in a scrap for Top 4 now and you could see that in the angriest fist pumps I've ever seen Klopp perform.

Klopp knows we're in for a fight this season and that's what that signal was.
      He wants all the fans behind the team too.

I agree with this post but from the fans perspective, why does every seasons feel like ā€˜us against the oddsā€™ inferior team quality wise, inferior spending etc, theres comes to a point where there has ti be growth and i understand the fans frustrations after coming close last season to the title, to automatically accept - we gonna challenge top 4 instead after 3 games isnt great

This club earn an absolute fortune from fans, everywhere i travel across the world, i know i will always see an lfc shirt somewhere, i was in leece last week, guess what, the manager of the hotel was an lfc fan even though italian

The fans have supported this club through everything and against all odds, there comes a point when we want to see some growth and evolution and spending

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3840 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #79: Sep 01, 2022 11:54:20 am
      I agree with this post but from the fans perspective, why does every seasons feel like ā€˜us against the oddsā€™ inferior team quality wise, inferior spending etc, theres comes to a point where there has ti be growth and i understand the fans frustrations after coming close last season to the title, to automatically accept - we gonna challenge top 4 instead after 3 games isnt great

This club earn an absolute fortune from fans, everywhere i travel across the world, i know i will always see an lfc shirt somewhere, i was in leece last week, guess what, the manager of the hotel was an lfc fan even though italian

The fans have supported this club through everything and against all odds, there comes a point when we want to see some growth and evolution and spending

I've never seen a time like if for LFC to be so visible.
      Over the last year all the kids seem to have the kit.
      Things change quickly though and minimal squad investment,
      with Klopp expected to work miracles, will hit a wall eventually.

Mad to think the club won everything with Klopp but he could
      have done more with more investment.

Even now we see the kids pulling up trees to carry the club forward.
      Low level risk. Elliott and Carvalho lifting up a decimated midfield.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #80: Sep 01, 2022 11:54:32 am
      If heā€™s been at Barca at least we might have another press resistant midfielder who doesnā€™t boot it up field as soon as heā€™s challenged.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,314 posts | 2810 
      Reply #81: Sep 01, 2022 11:55:07 am
      Personally - I think we should be going for both Douglas Luiz and Arthur!

Luiz looks Arsenal bound
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,802 posts | 3380 
      Reply #82: Sep 01, 2022 11:55:18 am

The spending is clear to see in the clubs accounts

We spend what we make - that huge wage bill needs paying , the big new contacts to Salah that everyone wanted needs paying , money is spent - every penny we make stays within the club - so those shirt sales etc are used towards paying the players , that absolute fortune helps keep the club going
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #83: Sep 01, 2022 12:01:03 pm

We spend what we make - that huge wage bill needs paying , the big new contacts to Salah that everyone wanted needs paying , money is spent - every penny we make stays within the club - so those shirt sales etc are used towards paying the players , that absolute fortune helps keep the club going

;D you actually sound like an FSG PR machine. If you're not being paid by them you bloody should be. You're one dedicated FSG poster I'll give you that.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3840 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #84: Sep 01, 2022 12:12:09 pm

We all know this.

Don't tell me it's not frustrating to see Chelsea, with a new American owner,
      backing their manager to the hilt. If only Klopp that that backing.

I'm leaving out Oil/Blood money comparison because City and Newcastle are
      their own type of broken abomination and why the PL bar the club I support can burn.
      moe2187
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | 10 
      Reply #85: Sep 01, 2022 12:13:02 pm

So every single club in our league and across europe have got it wrong, they cant manage businesses and they have all accumulated wealth from dubious means, i mean take aston villa for example, which is it, a diamond field in sierra leone, or brentford, it mush be a human trafficking ring in italy

The sooner you cone to understand american business owners and how they literally pay agencies a bucketload to create this false narrative that they are always on edge and on the brink and how all employees need to do more the better, i believe FSG are no different

You say we spend what the club earns but how wage bill is comparable to city and utd, yet we have backlisted the agents they use be ause we dont want to pay their feed, they have the likes of de gea, ronaldo, sancho, fernandes, rashford etc on huge sums, so somewhere, something isnt clear or transparent
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3840 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #86: Sep 01, 2022 12:21:06 pm
       I'll include myself in this:

:ontopic:
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,149 posts | 1090 
      Reply #87: Sep 01, 2022 12:21:43 pm
      Dudes basically Thiago from what we've read,  good and bad.  Interesting
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3840 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #88: Sep 01, 2022 12:23:17 pm
      Dudes basically Thiago from what we've read,  good and bad.  Interesting

Player in the mould of Thiago, both in how he plays and how often he's injured.
      Alternate them and you'd have a great squad. So long as they're not injured at the same time.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,149 posts | 1090 
      Reply #89: Sep 01, 2022 12:28:00 pm
      Player in the mould of Thiago, both in how he plays and how often he's injured.
      Alternate them and you'd have a great squad. So long as they're not injured at the same time.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Interesting choice.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #90: Sep 01, 2022 12:39:13 pm
      Lovely signing this! Not sure what some fans expect but getting a midfielder for a season who's technically sound and a perfect stylistic fit for the Thiago role seems prudent to me.

Obviously it would be nice with a big money signing of a young emerging star midfielder, but those obviously aren't available right now.

The club are clearly wary of saddling the books with long-term contracts for squad players which can later become somewhat burdensome to move as they fail to live up to their contracts. We've experienced that with the likes of Ox and Origi most recently for example, and it's only this summer where Origi got moved on as a free agent.

The ideal approach is to mostly sign players for the First XI who then push your aging players into squad roles, rather than making depth signings  who aren't capable of taking over First XI roles as current starters decline.

In that light bringing in a stopgap to add some depth until a big First XI CM signing can be made makes sense.

And back to the player - Melo looks very tidy in possession, good at breaking lines with passing and dribbling, and is tenacious off the ball. He should fit in nicely, at least stylistically.

There's also a chance that he impresses this season, in which case you have an easy replacement for one or both of Keita and/or Ox who are in their last 12 months.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #91: Sep 01, 2022 12:41:39 pm

Quick Reply