Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Arthur Melo (Juventus)

Read 23532 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Arthur Melo Player Thread (M)
      Reply #92: Sep 16, 2022 12:34:58 am
      According to some Italian newspapers Klopp does not rate him at all

Panic signing. Not like us tbh.

Should have brought in a quality midfielder in the Summer we could have got Matheus Nunes for 40 mill.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #93: Sep 16, 2022 01:50:21 pm
      Panic signing. Not like us tbh.

Should have brought in a quality midfielder in the Summer we could have got Matheus Nunes for 40 mill.

Yes, after the like of Ben Davies then if this Arthur going to be the similar it is bizzare and I can't see any positive for our club by doing such strange things.
      Just read that we want Federico Valverde at Real Madrid in the summer but that won't happen.
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #94: Sep 16, 2022 02:59:33 pm

It's exactly like us. We've proven, in the past, that we'll sign any old sh*t when we've spent our £35m budget elsewhere
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #95: Sep 16, 2022 03:08:34 pm
      Tap-in merchant Fabrizio Romano refutes claims LFC want to send Arthur back in January. Apparently has impressed coaches with his knowledge of the system.

In other words...who knows what's really going on ;D
      RickRed
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 12 
      Reply #96: Sep 16, 2022 07:42:42 pm
      He decided to ignore days off to keep working as he knows he still has got to catch up with demands. He’s working on an individualised fitness plan to get him up to speed because he didn’t have a regular pre season. Pretty standard stuff considering the lack of match fitness.
      The other stories are nonsense.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #97: Sep 18, 2022 05:50:11 pm
      He played 90  mins for the U21 team at Leicester and did well by all accounts suiting the system perfectly well. Lets hope he can be an asset for Jürgen to use
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #98: Sep 18, 2022 08:05:54 pm
      Delighted he got 90mins in his legs. There has to be a player there for all the money spent on transfer fees previously. I'm reserving any judgement until he gets a few games. Surely Klopp and his staff will get the best out of him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #99: Sep 19, 2022 02:05:01 pm
      So you believe the Italian papers are bona fide arbiters of truth with regard to LFC?

No just the way some kid gets brought on instead of him in a home game.

He'll be another Ben Davies.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #100: Sep 19, 2022 05:36:08 pm

I disagree with you. He is not coming for Sheffield or below par teams.

He played very well for Barca and there is a player somewhere, we just need to get the best out of him.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #101: Sep 19, 2022 06:04:06 pm

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But doesn't he at least deserve a chance to impress? He has played for Barcelona and Juventus, not Preston...

Come on, the lad has only been here 18 days and you're already given up on him.

By the way, Arthur began his career with Grêmio. I remember a former player of ours that did the same, and won our hearts. For that alone, he deserves a chance. ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #102: Sep 19, 2022 06:30:47 pm
      I disagree with you. He is not coming for Sheffield or below par teams.

He played very well for Barca and there is a player somewhere, we just need to get the best out of him.

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But doesn't he at least deserve a chance to impress? He has played for Barcelona and Juventus, not Preston...

Come on, the lad has only been here 18 days and you're already given up on him.

By the way, Arthur began his career with Grêmio. I remember a former player of ours that did the same, and won our hearts. For that alone, he deserves a chance. ;)

Doesn't matter where the player came from, my honest opinion is he'll be another Ben Davies.

It's telling we had no future buy clause with the deal, that says a lot. He's a body to fill the midfield group.

He'll start League cup games at best.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #103: Sep 19, 2022 06:49:02 pm
      Doesn't matter where the player came from, my honest opinion is he'll be another Ben Davies.

It's telling we had no future buy clause with the deal, that says a lot. He's a body to fill the midfield group.

I've not seen him play much but I think this is probably harsh. He has a good pedigree but his career has stalled in the last few years. Maybe he likes a night out clubbing to much, if the rumours are true.

Maybe some tough love is what he needs. The club is obviously not convinced by him, as you say, not adding an option to buy. But he probably has the quality to be a decent squad player, occasional starter. He will get a lot of cup games but I'm hoping he can also ease the pressure on Thiago. Maybe he can make a lot of sub appearances in second  half if the starting 11 can get their Mojo back and start to grind out some easy wins.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #104: Sep 19, 2022 07:17:19 pm
      For the record, we DO have an option to buy him for €37,5m. This has been officially confirmed by Juventus.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #105: Sep 19, 2022 07:22:51 pm
      For the record, we DO have an option to buy him for €37,5m. This has been officially confirmed by Juventus.

Juve know they've no chance of getting that.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #106: Sep 19, 2022 08:05:00 pm

But there is one!

Give him a chance. Like Nunez, he still needs to get going. Not everyone is Diaz.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #107: Sep 19, 2022 08:51:09 pm

they can always renegotiate the amount
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #108: Sep 19, 2022 09:53:20 pm

But there is a buy clause
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #109: Sep 20, 2022 10:29:34 am
      He played 90  mins for the U21 team at Leicester and did well by all accounts suiting the system perfectly well. Lets hope he can be an asset for Jürgen to use

Hopefully play more games during the international break.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #110: Sep 20, 2022 10:44:47 am
      I think he’ll be good, it’s all about his fitness levels now - if you’re going to compete in the top leagues you have to be at 100%, there’s no doubt about it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #111: Sep 20, 2022 11:56:16 am
      I think he’ll be good, it’s all about his fitness levels now - if you’re going to compete in the top leagues you have to be at 100%, there’s no doubt about it.

By all accounts, it seems as though Klopp and the coaches are happy with his effort and determination to adapt going by what Fab Romano was saying. Best case scenario is he plays well and earns himself a permanent move to the club. Worst case scenario is we send him back to Juve in the summer.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #112: Sep 20, 2022 12:28:43 pm
      By all accounts, it seems as though Klopp and the coaches are happy with his effort and determination to adapt going by what Fab Romano was saying. Best case scenario is he plays well and earns himself a permanent move to the club. Worst case scenario is we send him back to Juve in the summer.

I take your points ken. However, either way, no club looking to win trophies and challenge for titles operates like this. This summer was a disaster. It borders on negligence. At best, we stood still although il argue we went backwards. Others have improved and continue to improve.

Good players, far better than what we have moved this summer. Some of them for low fees or free and we did nothing. And then it was like grab a granny at 2am at the last minute and now we're trying to figure out what we can do with him. It's a shambles I'm afraid.

When Jürgen said its not upto him how much he could spend when he was asked about midfielders just screamed he wasn't being backed. He never has been. They didn't back him for a left back a few years ago and he had to sell lovren to buy tsimikas. That backfired. Then in the January they wouldn't back him and he ended up with Davies. And they didn't back him this summer.

I hope Melo does well here. We need him to. I dont know too much about him so im not gonna sit here and say i do. Hopefully he smashes it but it doesn't disguise the sheer negligence to the team and Jürgen that went on this summer.

We've no assets left to sell bar Jones Philips gomez and kellerher and people talking about Bellingham. Bobby keita and Ox will walk for free and milner retire. They all need replacing with no money coming in. With Bellingham that's a 200m plus window. Where's that money coming from? Won't be from fsg.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #113: Sep 20, 2022 01:39:12 pm
      I take your points ken. However, either way, no club looking to win trophies and challenge for titles operates like this. This summer was a disaster. It borders on negligence. At best, we stood still although il argue we went backwards. Others have improved and continue to improve.

How have we gone backwards? We signed a striker to replace Mane who scored 34 goals last season and ripped us to pieces on 2 occassions in the Champions League and we signed a player with world class potential and has already made an impression with his early performances, which includes scoring the winning goal against Newcastle. I agree the window was a bit underwhelming but we certainly didn't just stand still.

They didn't back him for a left back a few years ago and he had to sell lovren to buy tsimikas. That backfired. Then in the January they wouldn't back him and he ended up with Davies. And they didn't back him this summer.

That's not right. We were going to sign Kostas regardless of whether Lovren stayed or not. We didn't have to sell Lovren, Klopp was happy to keep him, he only left because he requested to leave because he wanted more game time and we couldn't guarentee him that at the time. It wasn't ideal going into that season with 3 CB's but at the same time, it wasn't the worst thing to be doing at that point because Fab had already shown he was more than capable of playing there and nobody could have predicted that the injury crisis to that extent would have happened. I don't recall any team losing 3 regular starters from the same position to long term injuries all within a matter of a few weeks of each other, on top of the injuries elsewhere on the pitch too. But, lessons should have been learnt from that and we should have made more effort for a midfielder this summer. I mentioned several times Matheus Nunes who has ended up at Wolves and despite their poor start, he has made a good start with his own performances. But not many of us know much about Arthur, maybe he will prove us wrong. It wasn't ideal the way he was signed and it does scream panic when you look at the deal but it's up to the player to show that was the wrong assumption.

I agree with you over the January of that year - going into Xmas top of the league, it was a chance to sign someone and help keep the push at the top going. IMO we should have pushed all out for Konate that winter, there's no arguing it at all - signing Davies and Kabak on deadline day was nothing short of a disaster.

I'm going to leave the rest of your post becasue I dont want to stray off topic and derail this topic by repeating what has been discussed 100 times over already in the FSG thread and the transfer threads.
      « Last Edit: Sep 20, 2022 01:46:39 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #114: Sep 20, 2022 09:29:34 pm
      From Juve to playing 60 minutes against the mighty Rochdale. Apparently Miles off it fitness must admit first time he came on looked like he had an ass on him as big as Oreillys Bull

Quick Reply