Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Arthur Melo (Juventus)

Read 23530 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Arthur Melo Player Thread (M)
      Reply #115: Sep 20, 2022 09:50:47 pm
      From Juve to playing 60 minutes against the mighty Rochdale. Apparently Miles off it fitness must admit first time he came on looked like he had an ass on him as big as Oreillys Bull

Looked fu**ed after that run about today too.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #116: Sep 20, 2022 10:07:49 pm
      Looked fu**ed after that run about today too.

Pretty sure on his arrival said he was fit and ready.Seems not the case and probably failed a few fatness tests. Hope he can pull it round and be ready to deputise for Thiago
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #117: Sep 20, 2022 11:02:41 pm
      My concern is that if he looks like a complete turkey at this stage what does that say about his fitness levels going forward and/or his own personal commitment to his fitness notwithstanding every player picks up knocks, strains etc from time to time?

Surely the basic fitness should still be there if you are an elite athlete and then it's a question of fine tuning, not a huge effort to transform a turkey into an ostrich where you might expect them to at least be a roadrunner.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #118: Sep 21, 2022 06:45:31 am
      I've read a few of the comments from Barca fans. They say his stamina is not good, always seem to gas out around 70 minute mark.  But most of them were saying that he still was a pretty good player for them.

I personally believe he will come in handy once he gets upto par fitness. Was reading somewhere, that it was his first full 90 in 120 days or something? No wonder he looked so leggy during Napoli.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #119: Sep 21, 2022 08:45:15 am
      My concern is that if he looks like a complete turkey at this stage what does that say about his fitness levels going forward and/or his own personal commitment to his fitness notwithstanding every player picks up knocks, strains etc from time to time?

Surely the basic fitness should still be there if you are an elite athlete and then it's a question of fine tuning, not a huge effort to transform a turkey into an ostrich where you might expect them to at least be a roadrunner.

Being fit and being match fit are 2 totally different things.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #120: Sep 21, 2022 09:33:33 am

Im sure I read , he had no pre-season at all.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #121: Sep 21, 2022 07:43:36 pm
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #122: Sep 21, 2022 10:39:46 pm
      Being fit and being match fit are 2 totally different things.

Yeah, could be his heavy legs/apparent waddling is just getting up to speed. He's not getting in the team if he doesn't work his socks off. It's fairly obvious he's a gifted passer of the ball so hopefully he can take his chance and prove Huyton Red wrong, la!  ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #123: Sep 21, 2022 10:41:26 pm
      Yeah, could be his heavy legs/apparent waddling is just getting up to speed. He's not getting in the team if he doesn't work his socks off. It's fairly obvious he's a gifted passer of the ball so hopefully he can take his chance and prove Huyton Red wrong, la!  ;D

Barry Lewtas was singing his praises - saying how hard he's been working, making the most of the international break to try and get up to speed etc.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #124: Sep 21, 2022 11:13:13 pm
      Barry Lewtas was singing his praises - saying how hard he's been working, making the most of the international break to try and get up to speed etc.

Also read he's hired a fitness coach or something, putting in extra work to get "Klopp fit". Seems like the bad attitude he supposedly had at Juventus may have just been a Juventus thing. Fingers crossed.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #125: Sep 21, 2022 11:16:37 pm

I know it's just Rochdale, but one thing I liked is how several times when he received the ball in traffic he reminded me of Gini, using his arms and upper body to shield the opposition and make it hard to take the ball from him. Some silly giveaways but also some nice little flicks and touches. I'd like to see him fit playing with our midfield.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #126: Sep 22, 2022 09:43:40 am
      Also read he's hired a fitness coach or something, putting in extra work to get "Klopp fit". Seems like the bad attitude he supposedly had at Juventus may have just been a Juventus thing. Fingers crossed.

What’s he been doing previously in his career?….. doesn’t fill you with confidence for his time here or hopefully he has realised this is last chance saloon for him.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #127: Sep 22, 2022 01:18:44 pm
      What’s he been doing previously in his career?….. doesn’t fill you with confidence for his time here or hopefully he has realised this is last chance saloon for him.

That's the attitude. Always look at a positive with a cynical eye.....
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #128: Sep 22, 2022 01:37:02 pm
      I hope he starts with a clean sheet in a Red Shirt we need him to be successful or we will be light on numbers in midfield at some point. If there is a player in ther Jürgen will find him.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #129: Sep 22, 2022 02:40:02 pm
      I know it's just Rochdale, but one thing I liked is how several times when he received the ball in traffic he reminded me of Gini, using his arms and upper body to shield the opposition and make it hard to take the ball from him. Some silly giveaways but also some nice little flicks and touches. I'd like to see him fit playing with our midfield.
      I also noticed on a few of the passes he received, when surrounded by a couple of players, that he likes to use his first touch to switch directions and then explode into space. All things considered, this reminds me of Thiago. Before even receiving the pass, he looks around him to assess where are his teammates and the opposition around him are, uses his first touch to push the ball into the space and then explode past the first line of press and uses his passing to break a further line or two. If Arthur can do that even to 50% of the level of efficiency Thiago does it with then it will be huge for us because we simply have nobody else in the team who does that other than Thiago. This is why Thiago is so effective for us.

rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #130: Sep 22, 2022 05:37:34 pm
      I also noticed on a few of the passes he received, when surrounded by a couple of players, that he likes to use his first touch to switch directions and then explode into space. All things considered, this reminds me of Thiago. Before even receiving the pass, he looks around him to assess where are his teammates and the opposition around him are, uses his first touch to push the ball into the space and then explode past the first line of press and uses his passing to break a further line or two. If Arthur can do that even to 50% of the level of efficiency Thiago does it with then it will be huge for us because we simply have nobody else in the team who does that other than Thiago. This is why Thiago is so effective for us.

Said this as soon as we signed him on watching him at Juve was superb on the half turn something that Thiago does and probably brought in to provide that cover when needed
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Re: Arthur Melo Player Thread (M) (on loan from Juventus)
      Reply #131: Sep 23, 2022 09:25:09 am
      Fair play to him, looks like he's pushing himself in every way possible to maximise the chance of playing time.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #132: Sep 23, 2022 11:03:10 am
      Fair play to him, looks like he's pushing himself in every way possible to maximise the chance of playing time.

Few of my scouse mates say Klopp doesn't rate him at all...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #133: Sep 23, 2022 11:14:27 am
      Few of my scouse mates say Klopp doesn't rate him at all...

Yet reliable sources like Fab Romano says something completely different. Along with the praise coming from Lewtas, I'd say your mates are wrong unless they personally know what Klopp is thinking.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #134: Sep 23, 2022 11:17:45 am
      Really hope all his hard work pays off for us and himself.

Could be a real bonus over oct+nov.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #135: Sep 23, 2022 12:53:46 pm
      Yet reliable sources like Fab Romano says something completely different. Along with the praise coming from Lewtas, I'd say your mates are wrong unless they personally know what Klopp is thinking.

You’d  say Romano should be more knowledgeable I’d agree. Will no doubt see when he’s fit.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #136: Oct 01, 2022 10:12:25 pm
      Still not match fit to even get off the bench when midfield crying out for fresh legs.

Looks like another Davies signing.
      RickRed
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 12 
      Reply #137: Oct 01, 2022 11:00:28 pm
      One would think he would have been a better option than Milner today, hope not another Ben Davies.

Quick Reply