Voting closed: Sep 11, 2022 09:53:23 pm

Napoli 4-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18722 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Re: Napoli 4-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #851: Sep 08, 2022 08:13:07 am
      Couldn't bring myself to post much after the game last night.

The wheels could come off this season quite quickly if we don't get our act together and fast.

If we are going through transition I'd like to see some evidence of it as all I see this season is a team trying to play an old system that doesn't suit with a bunch of players who are mentally fu**ed.

We probably need at least another new face but until then the manager needs to work out very quickly how he wants this group to play and play the players that for that.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #852: Sep 08, 2022 08:30:00 am
      I feel worse today than I did after the final defeat.

Can’t see how we get out of this rut considering so many players are out of form.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #853: Sep 08, 2022 08:42:38 am
      Defence needs sorting out, left far too exposed at the back, midfield not functioning, Mo out of form, new players need time to settle in, quite a dilema in all honesty !

Simply hope Jürgen can start turning things around starting against Wolves on Saturday
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #854: Sep 08, 2022 08:50:16 am
      I know Harvey Elliott has got some great technical ability but I've been thinking for a while about how him and Trent can't be in the same team. 

Trent is the ball carrier down the wing - he gives and receives a quick pass to the midfield and then whips in a cross.

At the minute you have Trent giving the ball to Elliott who doesn't release it straight away.  He likes to take touches and bring it forward himself.  It effectively sidelines our winger.

Liverpool have moved the ball quickly from midfield in recent years out to Trent, or Robbo, or Mane, or Salah - the midfielders have been there to close people down not necessarily create everything themselves.  I just feel with Elliott, and to a lesser extent Thiago that whole way of playing has changed.

I think we've become more narrow and that as a result Trent and Robbo are not playing their natural games.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #855: Sep 08, 2022 08:59:28 am
      The most worrying thing for me is that the result against Bournemouth and the return of players from injury should have rejuvenated us, but it hasn’t.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #856: Sep 08, 2022 09:07:41 am
      Was terrible.

Massive changes required to the team at the weekend.

no.1 Gomez benched - Matip in.

Perhaps Milner at LB too, give trent a rest.

Thiago must start.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,194 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #857: Sep 08, 2022 09:22:48 am
      The worrying thig is how are we going to pull out of this downward spiral
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #858: Sep 08, 2022 09:24:02 am

Whilst this needs to happen, and Matip was better defensively, but just like the other games Matip has played this season, he kept on giving the ball away time and time again. At the moment it seems like one disaster replaces the other in most areas of the pitch.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #859: Sep 08, 2022 09:26:11 am
      Whilst this needs to happen, and Matip was better defensively, but just like the other games Matip has played this season, he kept on giving the ball away time and time again. At the moment it seems like one disaster replaces the other in most areas of the pitch.

This.

There seems to be little cohesion at all among the players. No matter who is selected.
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #860: Sep 08, 2022 09:26:13 am
      Was terrible.

Massive changes required to the team at the weekend.

no.1 Gomez benched - Matip in.

Perhaps Milner at LB too, give trent a rest.

Thiago must start.

Not give Trent a rest, drop Trent.

I'd go Robbo RB and Tsimiskas LB.

Cb's Matip and just about Virgil.

Cm Thiago and Fab.

Salah, Diaz and Harvey.

Nunez up top.

433 is broken we need to switch it up and imo the only other formation we have players for is 4231.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #861: Sep 08, 2022 09:26:47 am
      Not give Trent a rest, drop Trent.

I'd go Robbo RB and Tsimiskas LB.

Cb's Matip and just about Virgil.

Cm Thiago and Fab.

Salah, Diaz and Harvey.

Nunez up top.

433 is broken we need to switch it up and imo the only other formation we have players for is 4231.

Robbo at RB would be a disaster.

Never seen a more one footed player.

Agree on 4 2 3 1 and have been banging on about this all season.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #862: Sep 08, 2022 09:29:48 am
      The only saving grace as I see it is,  if there is one man who can turn this round it is Jürgen.
      There is a saying in sport, form is temporary, class is permanent.

We are going through a bad patch but we will be back fellow Reds. The sky hasn't fallen (only the tv version) , and the earth is still revolving.

I still think we can salvage this season, I for one have not lost faith in this great Football club.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,987 posts | 222 
      Reply #863: Sep 08, 2022 09:31:22 am
      That one goes down on Klopp poor starting line up, at least change up the formation if players are not available.

I think klopp should move Trent to midfield and Gomez to right back as we are missing some creative in midfield
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #864: Sep 08, 2022 09:33:08 am
      Robbo at RB would be a disaster.

Never seen a more one footed player.

Agree on 4 2 3 1 and have been banging on about this all season.

When we take corners sometimes he end up on that side for about five minutes and he seems alright.

Gomez there then. Anyone but Trent. Anyone! I'll do it ffs so long as Trent doesn't get on that pitch.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #865: Sep 08, 2022 09:34:19 am
      I think klopp should move Trent to midfield and Gomez to right back as we are missing some creative in midfield

Trent currently would an awful shout in midfield, he is not the best when pressed and he needs that touch line as protection.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #866: Sep 08, 2022 09:36:45 am

Dont mind giving ball away when its an attacking pass, gomez was losing it on his by line with big lassie tackles. I was screaming at my TV for him to actually tackle properly. l o l

TBH. Whole defence is all over the shop just now. so not all gomez fault. Big Virg had another mare.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #867: Sep 08, 2022 09:38:45 am
      Well Jürgen is still saying he needs time to think about the game. History suggests back in the day we won every game but we didnt and a couple of games a season we were awful and I remember Souness saying after such a game he would tell the lads no training tomorrow we are going to the Horses which was code for the Pub so as men they could sort it out face to face and clear the air I think the lads should go to Costa or Starbucks  and do exactly the same and be honest with each other and it would do them the world of good

I would have them all in a f***in boxing ring myself, and tell them to batter it out of each other, with pads of course, that was f***in absolutely woeful last night, that has to go down as the worst performance since the Roy/Rogers era’s, and yes your f***in right it was cowboy level sh*te, it was abysmal, pathetic, amateurish, ale house pish,

The whole midfield wants scrapping, it is abundantly clear that Old Father Time has finally caught up with Jimmy, if it weren’t for the fact we are light in midfield I would  only play him as a last ten minute sub, he’s totally gone now for me, resign him to the ressies coaching team once we have other bodies that will help rather than hinder,
      Wee Harvey was ok, but I wouldn’t have him in there in the first instance, for a game of this magnitude I’m not sure he’s quite ready for, he’s too lightweight and less experienced, only Fab came out of the mids half decent,
      f***in hell, the back 4, where the F**k do you start with this ? Trent, I mean WTF lad, you got rolled all f***in night mate, looked totally lost, I can forgive the odd sh*t performance but f***in hell,lad it’s a team game, YOU DO NOT just give up, hope young Calvin isn’t too far off cos Trent neeeds benching for his own good, give him some competition, make him fight for his place,

Gomez, sort of feel for the lad tbh, he was doing well before last night and thought he had finally turned a corner and would be next to Virgil for a while, but not sure why but his head was up his arse from the get go, if your up against a opponent who matches you in power etc just f***in hoof it tae F**k, you may not get MOTM but you won’t be the cause of goals against,

Virgil, the best CB on the planet ‘My Arse’ seen f***in milk turn quicker, d’ya know who he reminded me of last night, Lovren with his head up his arse when he got yanked off V Spuds after 20 mins a few seasons back, hasn’t been the same since that injury, he needs to reinvent himself and quickly or it’s going to be a long long hard season, if Konate was fit I’d be playing him and Matip and bench Virgil, see what kind of reaction we get,

Robbo did what he could, even he wasn’t as good as is the norm, doesn’t yet have that same relationship with Diaz as he did with Mane, but that could be down to Diaz roaming all over the place, think we will see Kostas at the weekend to keep Robbo fresh-ish,

Bobby, jeez Bobby lad thought you were back to your almost unplayable self, but last night has seriously left a huge question mark above your head, is two a week becoming to taxing for you now, you were so wooden, you could pass for Pinocchio with a hard on, what’s happened to that football brain of yours? You were every bit as good as Trent was bad, benched, if Carvalho is fit for the weekend,

Diaz, our best player before Thiago came on, could have had a hat-trick and seemed to be the only one trying, but he needed support and that was totally non existent, mainly for the reason above, and generally because apparently our mids can’t pass the f***in ball forward anymore, movement, well there wasn’t any unless he moved himself and if he could pass to himself we might have something to shout about,

Mo didn’t do a lot wrong did he tbh,when he seen the ball,  but then he didn’t do a lot right when he had it either, so this is the version of Mo we’re seeing at the moment, it’s a confidence thing with Mo, if the team perform as we all know they can, Mo does too, but sometimes when the team under perform, he tries just a little too hard, Mo reflects how the other nine outfield players play, so from the start of the season we’re seeing a a ineffective Mo, like I said confidence is key for Mo, and right now there isn’t much there at all,

Matip, changed the whole dynamic when he came on, but not nearly enough, should have yanked Joe off earlier for him to impact our defence properly, he keeps his place no matter what going forward, Virgil will need to pull his finger out of his arse asap or he’ll be sat next to Joe pulling splinters rather than fingers, unlikely but possible we could see a fresh look back 4, in Ramsey, Matip, Konate, Tsimikas, shock f***in horror maybe, but arses need kicking and the bench is the best kick in the arse you can have,

Thiago, F**k me did’nt we miss him ? he made a immediate difference soon as he crossed the whitewash, even our own lads felt the relief when he came on, and immediately we looked a different side, the connect was there, and so too was the ability to move forward instead of side to side and back again, straight away Jota & Nunez had something to concentrate on, although it was pretty much futile by that point,

Jota, not on long enough to make any  diff, same as Nunez, that was a strange one for me yes we needed fresh legs but why put on a 6’3 striker when you have no wing men to supply, so we ended up trying to go thru the middle, exactly what didn’t work the previous 85 mins??

That wasn’t a bad day at the office was it, that was a horrendous day at headquarters that left us in liquidation, very obviously the worst performance since Jürgen took the wheel, he always comes across as a really nice friendly guy to all who work with him but, I really really hope he gives a f***in blitzkreig bollocking to each and everyone who took the field last night,

I’m hoping he marches them down the corridors and shows them the walls adorned with past glories and the men that made them happen, and ask them if they are worthy of wearing the same shirt, ask them if the still have the same passion, the same hunger, the same will, we don’t do half measure’s at this club, and last night was no where near even a half measure,

Jürgen & Co have serious problems, I’m sure they will find solutions that’s why he gets paid the big bucks for, and just like his charges, it’s time for Jürgen himself to step up, and put things right, no matter who he upsets !!

Y  N  W  A
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #868: Sep 08, 2022 09:40:27 am
      Dont mind giving ball away when its an attacking pass, gomez was losing it on his by line with big lassie tackles. I was screaming at my TV for him to actually tackle properly. l o l

TBH. Whole defence is all over the shop just now. so not all gomez fault. Big Virg had another mare.

It's a domino effect once it breaks it affects all . People.being dragged out of position covering others the 4th goal prime example Matip dragged wide not sure how Virg ended up and then Trent having to come across . We are just all over the place which is odd
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #869: Sep 08, 2022 09:50:19 am
      It's a domino effect once it breaks it affects all . People.being dragged out of position covering others the 4th goal prime example Matip dragged wide not sure how Virg ended up and then Trent having to come across . We are just all over the place which is odd

This is true.

It is all very odd. :(

Anyway every team goes thru a bad patch, we are evolving and we have had injury problems, so suppose its to be expected at some point.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #870: Sep 08, 2022 10:35:39 am
      what happened to our "mentality monsters" we felt invincible in games and always watched the lads through sheer force of will win games well that hasnt been seen this season.
      We know how this team is supposed to look so why was it so disjointed last night ?. No wonder Jürgen needs time to work this out but it keeps coming back to our right side which teams have targeted with some success this season a ball over the top with Trent way up the pitch and we get pulled to pieces. Then there is Milner we all love Milly but come on central midfield last night and Capt he was awful and should be put out to pasture not even allowed on the bench he has become such a liability.
      Maybe we did under value Sadio after all something has been missing since his departure
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #871: Sep 08, 2022 10:46:57 am
      Dont mind giving ball away when its an attacking pass

I don't think that matters much, losing the ball is losing the ball. He tried an attacking pass vs Fulham, gave it straight to a Fulham player and within about 10-15 seconds, they'd got into our box and won a penalty to take the lead.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 730 
      Reply #872: Sep 08, 2022 10:53:25 am
      what happened to our "mentality monsters" we felt invincible in games and always watched the lads through sheer force of will win games well that hasnt been seen this season.
      We know how this team is supposed to look so why was it so disjointed last night ?. No wonder Jürgen needs time to work this out but it keeps coming back to our right side which teams have targeted with some success this season a ball over the top with Trent way up the pitch and we get pulled to pieces. Then there is Milner we all love Milly but come on central midfield last night and Capt he was awful and should be put out to pasture not even allowed on the bench he has become such a liability.
      Maybe we did under value Sadio after all something has been missing since his departure
      Truth is none of us has the answer. It's a total head**k what's going on. It can't be as simple as Sadio leaving, that wouldn't explain the defensive frailties we're seeing. One thing we can all agree on though is these games are a tough watch... worrying times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #873: Sep 08, 2022 11:00:10 am
      I don’t think it’s as simple as just Mane leaving however I do think his absence can’t be dismissed. If ever any player summed up our mentality, it was him. How many times did he bail us out? Ironically the only player showing anything similar is his replacement, Diaz.

Quick Reply