Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Alisson Becker
      9 (12%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      4 (5.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      59 (78.7%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.3%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.3%)
      Arthur Melo
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: Sep 11, 2022 09:53:23 pm

Napoli 4-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18225 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Napoli 4-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #874: Sep 08, 2022 11:07:06 am
      Didn't see the game tonight but by all accounts it was as grim as the scoreline suggest. I was hesitant before the game about Trent's defensive ability. A decision has to be made..is he a full back or an attacking right side midfield. He's fine in his position as long as we don't come under sustained attack. Pending.

It’s been well documented by many that defensively he’s not the strongest where’s you always see him at his best attacking midfielder. That’s always been my opinion despite him starting poorly this season.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #875: Sep 08, 2022 11:09:30 am
      It’s been well documented by many that defensively he’s not the strongest where’s you always see him at his best attacking midfielder. That’s always been my opinion despite him starting poorly this season.
      Solution: Put him in midfield, and play the new lad at right back....Sorted
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #876: Sep 08, 2022 11:10:39 am

Looking at your midfield problems that might not be a bad idea.
      chainsdb
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #877: Sep 08, 2022 11:12:26 am
      we looked absolutely f**king shattered again all over the pitch. surely this cant still be down to last season? what the f**k did we do in pre season?!

Go on an unneeded Asian tour? Beyond the mental fatigue, the lack of speed when going forward - one thing i cant get away from is elliot on the right, and whether he is combining well enough with salah and trent. his work rate has been very good this season, but you wonder whether his decision making is an issue.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #878: Sep 08, 2022 11:45:31 am
      I don't think that matters much, losing the ball is losing the ball. He tried an attacking pass vs Fulham, gave it straight to a Fulham player and within about 10-15 seconds, they'd got into our box and won a penalty to take the lead.

Aye true. but most teams dont usually punish as well as they did last night. l o l
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #879: Sep 08, 2022 11:46:40 am

He would then take wee harveys place in the team. Id defo like to see trent in MF at some point though.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #880: Sep 08, 2022 11:46:59 am
      Watching the highlights again and some of they defending was like the videos you see online of games being investigated for match fixing… literally standing still and watching them score… it gets worse on every viewing.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #881: Sep 08, 2022 11:57:41 am
      Watching the highlights again and some of they defending was like the videos you see online of games being investigated for match fixing… literally standing still and watching them score… it gets worse on every viewing.
      ...and to think they hit the post, had a penalty saved...and a certain goal cleared off the line. Apart from the Diaz header I can't remember their goalie having that much to do..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #882: Sep 08, 2022 12:03:29 pm

Wasn't far off a replica of the Sancho goal where the one two completely wiped out the defence.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #883: Sep 08, 2022 12:17:29 pm
      The Trent/Gomez isn't working out. Joe is a bit perplexing, got the physicallity, no slouch, could be a confidence thing. Is Trent a playmaker, a player or a defender, top player/part time defender. Elliott doesn't cover as well as say Hendo.

Just seem to lack the overall ability/mentality to play to a shut out plan. I mean sometimes we should be sitting in, men behind the ball and grind it out. We have to have that as an option. Last night the door was just left open.

Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #884: Sep 08, 2022 12:25:48 pm

Been mooted for a few seasons. Southgate tried it, Boss wasn't happy over it. Think the Boss has said " Trent is the best RB in the world, why change it"...but he's the best on the front foot..on the back foot he's average at best.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #885: Sep 08, 2022 12:29:28 pm
      Do they know that a World Cup is coming? Most of them do not deserve to be in their national teams because they are not showing any desire to work hard to improve our form.

Next Saturday we need our fans so much to lift our players.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #886: Sep 08, 2022 12:34:12 pm
      Been mooted for a few seasons. Southgate tried it, Boss wasn't happy over it. Think the Boss has said " Trent is the best RB in the world, why change it"...but he's the best on the front foot..on the back foot he's average at best.
      Hyperbole from Klopp...We all know he's not the best RB in World football...We are light in midfield, if there's cover give it a try.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #887: Sep 08, 2022 12:34:32 pm
      Do they know that a World Cup is coming? Most of them do not deserve to be in their national teams because they are not showing any desire to work hard to improve our form.

At least Trent and Salah will get a good rest over the WC.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #888: Sep 08, 2022 12:34:33 pm

...and the players to lift the fans
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #889: Sep 08, 2022 12:36:28 pm
      V Wolves.

Ali

Joe Matip Phillips Kostas
      Trent Fabio Thiago
      Jota Nunez Diaz

5-0

Reinvented..job done.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #890: Sep 08, 2022 12:38:37 pm
      At least Trent and Salah will get a good rest over the WC.

Salah for sure but hope that Southgate do not take him just to leave on the bench.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #891: Sep 08, 2022 12:41:50 pm

Agreed but what after that? I thought the same then we put 9 past Bournemouth and I was like okay now we're getting back on track, then the Newcastle game happened and I thought this is actually what we needed. A last minute winner at home to instil that combative mindset in our players. Next thing you know its back to slow starts against a struggling Everton and then this farce on our CL opener. 

Joe and Trent completely destroyed our high line about what, 6 or 7 times in the first half alone? Not only that, but the two of them then run back almost like they don't want to be on the pitch. Fabinho is a shadow of himself and I'm not talking the quality of the passes or quality of tackles, I'm just talking about his desire to win the ball back and energy levels on display. He is also flanked, on the right, by a 19yo who is doing all he can in the no man's land that our midfield has become, and on the left by 37yo Milner who tries his best, but there's nothing more to squeeze out of him in any high or medium calibre game.

I'm struggling to even asses our forwards because there's simply nothing given to them to work with apart from a ball or two per game, but my general feeling is that their energy levels and willingness matches the rest of the team.

I'm just not sure where we go from there. Do we need to bench some senior figures for a period of time? Or, do we need to just get on with it and try and fight our way into a good form? What are even the options at our disposal?
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #892: Sep 08, 2022 12:42:16 pm
      V Wolves.

Ali

Joe Matip Phillips Kostas
      Trent Fabio Thiago
      Jota Nunez Diaz

5-0

Reinvented..job done.

NB: Team no longer available

Darwin to drop balls to Salah.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #893: Sep 08, 2022 12:47:06 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

Darwin to drop balls to Salah.

bit to 1984ish..isn't it. Anyway Salah has already dropped his balls this season..
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #894: Sep 08, 2022 12:50:55 pm
      Was it telling that the Boss used the word "reinvented"...must have something in mind. The Trent move seems the most likely. Just moving Mo inside or fiddleing with the midfield doesn't really amount to reinvention.

Hope he does move Trent, if only to end the speculation etc.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #895: Sep 08, 2022 12:53:14 pm

I would have them all in a f***in boxing ring myself, and tell them to batter it out of each other, with pads of course, that was f***in absolutely woeful last night, that has to go down as the worst performance since the Roy/Rogers era’s, and yes your f***in right it was cowboy level Sh*te, it was abysmal, pathetic, amateurish, ale house pish,

The whole midfield wants scrapping, it is abundantly clear that Old Father Time has finally caught up with Jimmy, if it weren’t for the fact we are light in midfield I would  only play him as a last ten minute sub, he’s totally gone now for me, resign him to the ressies coaching team once we have other bodies that will help rather than hinder,
      Wee Harvey was ok, but I wouldn’t have him in there in the first instance, for a game of this magnitude I’m not sure he’s quite ready for, he’s too lightweight and less experienced, only Fab came out of the mids half decent,
      F**kin hell, the back 4, where the f**k do you start with this ? Trent, I mean WTF lad, you got rolled all f***in night mate, looked totally lost, I can forgive the odd sh*t performance but f***in hell,lad it’s a team game, YOU DO NOT just give up, hope young Calvin isn’t too far off cos Trent neeeds benching for his own good, give him some competition, make him fight for his place,

Gomez, sort of feel for the lad tbh, he was doing well before last night and thought he had finally turned a corner and would be next to Virgil for a while, but not sure why but his head was up his arse from the get go, if your up against a opponent who matches you in power etc just f***in hoof it tae f**k, you may not get MOTM but you won’t be the cause of goals against,

Virgil, the best CB on the planet ‘My Arse’ seen f***in milk turn quicker, d’ya know who he reminded me of last night, Lovren with his head up his arse when he got yanked off V Spuds after 20 mins a few seasons back, hasn’t been the same since that injury, he needs to reinvent himself and quickly or it’s going to be a long long hard season, if Konate was fit I’d be playing him and Matip and bench Virgil, see what kind of reaction we get,

Robbo did what he could, even he wasn’t as good as is the norm, doesn’t yet have that same relationship with Diaz as he did with Mane, but that could be down to Diaz roaming all over the place, think we will see Kostas at the weekend to keep Robbo fresh-ish,

Bobby, jeez Bobby lad thought you were back to your almost unplayable self, but last night has seriously left a huge question mark above your head, is two a week becoming to taxing for you now, you were so wooden, you could pass for Pinocchio with a hard on, what’s happened to that football brain of yours? You were every bit as good as Trent was bad, benched, if Carvalho is fit for the weekend,

Diaz, our best player before Thiago came on, could have had a hat-trick and seemed to be the only one trying, but he needed support and that was totally non existent, mainly for the reason above, and generally because apparently our mids can’t pass the f***in ball forward anymore, movement, well there wasn’t any unless he moved himself and if he could pass to himself we might have something to shout about,

Mo didn’t do a lot wrong did he tbh,when he seen the ball,  but then he didn’t do a lot right when he had it either, so this is the version of Mo we’re seeing at the moment, it’s a confidence thing with Mo, if the team perform as we all know they can, Mo does too, but sometimes when the team under perform, he tries just a little too hard, Mo reflects how the other nine outfield players play, so from the start of the season we’re seeing a a ineffective Mo, like I said confidence is key for Mo, and right now there isn’t much there at all,

Matip, changed the whole dynamic when he came on, but not nearly enough, should have yanked Joe off earlier for him to impact our defence properly, he keeps his place no matter what going forward, Virgil will need to pull his finger out of his arse asap or he’ll be sat next to Joe pulling splinters rather than fingers, unlikely but possible we could see a fresh look back 4, in Ramsey, Matip, Konate, Tsimikas, shock f***in horror maybe, but arses need kicking and the bench is the best kick in the arse you can have,

Thiago, f**k me did’nt we miss him ? he made a immediate difference soon as he crossed the whitewash, even our own lads felt the relief when he came on, and immediately we looked a different side, the connect was there, and so too was the ability to move forward instead of side to side and back again, straight away Jota & Nunez had something to concentrate on, although it was pretty much futile by that point,

Jota, not on long enough to make any  diff, same as Nunez, that was a strange one for me yes we needed fresh legs but why put on a 6’3 striker when you have no wing men to supply, so we ended up trying to go thru the middle, exactly what didn’t work the previous 85 mins??

That wasn’t a bad day at the office was it, that was a horrendous day at headquarters that left us in liquidation, very obviously the worst performance since Jürgen took the wheel, he always comes across as a really nice friendly guy to all who work with him but, I really really hope he gives a f***in blitzkreig bollocking to each and everyone who took the field last night,

I’m hoping he marches them down the corridors and shows them the walls adorned with past glories and the men that made them happen, and ask them if they are worthy of wearing the same shirt, ask them if the still have the same passion, the same hunger, the same will, we don’t do half measure’s at this club, and last night was no where near even a half measure,

Jürgen & Co have serious problems, I’m sure they will find solutions that’s why he gets paid the big bucks for, and just like his charges, it’s time for Jürgen himself to step up, and put things right, no matter who he upsets !!

Y  N  W  A

Sit the whole lot of them down in a mockup schoolroom in Kirkby and have them do 500 lines each of the Bill Shankly quote:
      "...I've drummed it into the players time and time again that they are privileged to play for you"
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #896: Sep 08, 2022 12:57:41 pm
      Apologies if this has already been posted already.

https://twitter.com/anfieldonline/status/1567774820011593729

Quick Reply