Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Alisson Becker
      9 (12%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      4 (5.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      59 (78.7%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.3%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.3%)
      Arthur Melo
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: Sep 11, 2022 09:53:23 pm

Napoli 4-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18245 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Napoli 4-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #897: Sep 08, 2022 12:58:04 pm
      Salah for sure but hope that Southgate do not take him just to leave on the bench.

Southgate has never rated Trent it was just media pressure that he was selected last year.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #898: Sep 08, 2022 01:02:14 pm
      Southgate has never rated Trent it was just media pressure that he was selected last year.

He thinks Reece James is a better defender. But he knows Trent is the better player going forward.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #899: Sep 08, 2022 01:17:28 pm
      The best in this video is Fabinho trotting along. He doesn't even attempt to put a foot out to stop the pass back to Anguissa then he completely stops running after the ball goes by him. It's just unbelievable
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #900: Sep 08, 2022 01:27:32 pm
      The best in this video is Fabinho trotting along. He doesn't even attempt to put a foot out to stop the pass back to Anguissa then he completely stops running after the ball goes by him. It's just unbelievable

What the F**k is happening
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #901: Sep 08, 2022 01:38:23 pm
      Mate, I have no idea, its genuinely alarming. The more I look at that video the worse it gets. I was talking about Fabinho, but my god, Gomez manages to look even worse on that. I'm not sure who else is in the frame, but the only one that looks to be trying a bit is Elliott.

KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #902: Sep 08, 2022 01:56:56 pm
      We needed a couple of cm in this window and to remove some of the ageing players or ones that are happy to get a pay cheque sitting at home like Keita

We tried to bandage over the crack and refuses to rebuild the cycle and now are paying the price

Simple as that, now we just face the consequences, no team is untouchable and the lessons are going to get even more painful

Only hope we have is our magician is back in cm and we improved so much with him

I would start Him and arthur as we need their quality
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #903: Sep 08, 2022 02:09:45 pm
      Still think we improved in the 2nd half when Thiago came on.
      OK, Napoli were well ahead, but still, you play what's in front of you.
      So even with all the individual errors and poor performances, if we could just get more control in the middle of the park, we'd have some platform to work off, but we can't get that right now.
      Not trying to stir the FSG pot, just think its a big problem for us right now in the center.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #904: Sep 08, 2022 02:21:28 pm
      Worrying that the subs made no difference

The subs changed the game but then Napoli could afford to play more compact.
      We also stopped just lumping the ball into the box and giving them a resultant counter attack.
      Matip and Thiago, if they are fit enough, should start.
      Take them off near the end if needs be, but Liverpool has to start stronger.
      Milner, Trent and Gomez been targeted all season and something has to change.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #905: Sep 08, 2022 02:23:27 pm
      Still think we improved in the 2nd half when Thiago came on.
      OK, Napoli were well ahead, but still, you play what's in front of you.
      So even with all the individual errors and poor performances, if we could just get more control in the middle of the park, we'd have some platform to work off, but we can't get that right now.
      Not trying to stir the FSG pot, just think its a big problem for us right now in the center.
      I think we are well past ''stirring the FSG pot''. There's a difference between the usual moaning we hear every summer and January and pointing out clear problems (what you're doing).

The only thing I would add is that yes we have big problems in midfield that might or might not get resolved once Thiago, Arthur and Hendo are back and fit for a good spell and it might give us a platform to work from, but there is a larger motivation and willingness problem. Its not the lack of depth that forced Fabinho to jog around all night yesterday, same for Joe, same for Trent, same for Salah and Firmino.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #906: Sep 08, 2022 02:32:21 pm
      I think we are well past ''stirring the FSG pot''. There's a difference between the usual moaning we hear every summer and January and pointing out clear problems (what you're doing).

The only thing I would add is that yes we have big problems in midfield that might or might not get resolved once Thiago, Arthur and Hendo are back and fit for a good spell and it might give us a platform to work from, but there is a larger motivation and willingness problem. Its not the lack of depth that forced Fabinho to jog around all night yesterday, same for Joe, same for Trent, same for Salah and Firmino.

Agreed, plenty of other issues, just felt when Thiago came on we improved, and had spell of possession.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #907: Sep 08, 2022 02:58:47 pm
      Agreed, plenty of other issues, just felt when Thiago came on we improved, and had spell of possession.

His problem is injuries, our midfield is never the same players. No consistency.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #908: Sep 08, 2022 04:53:37 pm

Even the ref was stand still hahaha
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 286 posts | 28 
      Reply #909: Sep 08, 2022 05:26:05 pm
      Considering that Napoli hit the post, failed to convert their second penalty and had a shot cleared off the line, we couldn't have complained if the h-t score had been 6-0.

Honestly, we couldn't.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #910: Sep 08, 2022 05:30:30 pm
      Book hotel in Istanbul? Sometimes it's wise to keep mouth well shut.

Or just day trip it ;)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #911: Sep 08, 2022 07:55:14 pm
      Are we expecting weekend matches to be postponed?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #912: Sep 08, 2022 08:03:41 pm

Every chance they could be
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #913: Sep 10, 2022 11:02:50 am
      Not even sure where to start with this performance, but this season has started so badly that I kind of felt numb after their second goal.

Diaz was the only player on the pitch who could hold his head high, I kind of felt for him after his goal as it meant so much to him, he really wanted to revitalise the team and get us back on the right path, but did any of the other players? F**k no.

For the life of me I do not understand why we have kept Matip on the bench in the PL games if he wasn't going to start this one, what was the point of getting Arthur in and having Tiago back on the bench if Milner was just going to start anyway. Some odd choices there from the gaffer, unfortunately, and it cost us as we had no control over the game whatsoever.

Gomez looked like a duck out of water, VVD was playing as if he was concussed and Trent played as if he had about 2 hours sleep prior to the game, shocking. Fabinho looks like he has forgotten how to be a CDM and Harvey while good in the first half, tried to do too much in the second and was wasteful with possession. Milner, played like well what you'd expect from a player who is no longer at the top of his game, he is now championship level and shouldn't see our starting 11 ever again, give a youngster a go instead of him, ooo his experience his experience, talking for the sake of talking doesn't help anyone. Maguire has been seen as a leader but when you are the shittest player on the pitch nobody will be listening.

Our attack was sh*te apart from Diaz who had some balls and courage to make things happen, the rest were shambolic, even the subs, Nunez had 0 composure when coming, the same with Jota. Salah had phases of play where he would make the right pass but nothing would come from it, he should have had a goal after a great pass from Trent but took his eye of the ball, now is the time when we need him to step up and show us why he deserved that big contract when the team is lagging behind we need him to bail us out, if he is as good as he thinks he is, he should be capable of that.

Really disappointing but at least we still have the group in our hands and we surely cannot perform worse than that, I hate writing such a negative post after a game but when that is all you see in the game, what can you do. One positive was seeing how Thiago had us controlling the game more when he came on, he has to start EVERY game he is fit to do so. Even Arthur while not 100% looked more composed than the rest of our midfield, I wouldn't be against Fab, Thiago, Arthur as a midfield three at some point, just to help protect the defence and build confidence at the back again.

jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #914: Sep 10, 2022 06:41:55 pm
      They narrowly beat last seasons 16 th placed Spezia, 1:0
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #915: Sep 10, 2022 08:03:14 pm
      They narrowly beat last seasons 16 th placed Spezia, 1:0

thats football m8. People play for their lives when theyre playing a big team
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #916: Sep 10, 2022 08:21:13 pm

Ok, I’ll be the first and only, and expect some mighty flack.
      Yes all games are postponed.
      The Queen is dead, Long live the King !
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #917: Sep 10, 2022 08:43:05 pm
      Ok, I’ll be the first and only, and expect some mighty flack.
      Yes all games are postponed.
      The Queen is dead, Long live the King !

Only one king, and he used to play for us
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #918: Sep 10, 2022 10:23:37 pm
      on reflection and it is somewhat a sad reflection is the FA didn't think football supporters would respect the minutes silence that is quite sad.
      I am not a republican or Monarchist, but I like to follow our history and people who think the  monarchy is dead need to reflect on the crowds packing Windsor and Buckingham palace as they span generations both young and old.
      It makes no sense but it is what it is.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #919: Sep 10, 2022 10:37:27 pm
      on reflection and it is somewhat a sad reflection is the FA didn't think football supporters would respect the minutes silence that is quite sad.
      I am not a republican or Monarchist, but I like to follow our history and people who think the  monarchy is dead need to reflect on the crowds packing Windsor and Buckingham palace as they span generations both young and old.
      It makes no sense but it is what it is.

With reference to the minutes silence and the fa thinking it may not be respected, I’m sure a large number of reds wouldn’t have let the fa’s suspicions down.

Quick Reply