Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Ajax?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      28 (34.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      5 (6.2%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      36 (44.4%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      10 (12.3%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.2%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Darwin NĆŗƱez
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: Sep 17, 2022 09:53:53 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Ajax: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 14512 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Ajax: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Sep 13, 2022 10:35:29 pm
      Much better, not perfect but hopefully come the end of the international break we will have more players available
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Re: Liverpool vs Ajax: Live match thread
      Reply #346: Sep 13, 2022 10:37:36 pm
      at last we found some fire in the belly

Spot on
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #347: Sep 13, 2022 10:40:16 pm
      Not gunner jump on Nunez just yet. He pulled one wide and nearly crossed it for Diaz. I mean coming on isn't easy. He's still finding his feet. But the chance he dragged wide in the box will be the typical type chance he will get. He needs a bit more composure but the lay off won't help him unfortunately. Going to take a bit more time and patience. Jury's out.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #348: Sep 13, 2022 10:40:22 pm
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #349: Sep 13, 2022 10:40:40 pm
      3 points, a late winner, and better performance :)
      Delighted.
      At the back, TAA better with the ball, though maybe bit lax for the goal.
      Matip big improvement on Gomez, got the goal, brought the ball out from the back well, maybe could have have a pop once or twice from the edge of the box :)
      VVD and Kostas fine.
      Eliiot, needs to impose himself on a game more, tidy enough but just too safe. 
      Thiago biggest difference, really good in first, half, quieter in 2nd but still involved. Fab did OK.
      Diaz did fine, maybe faded a bit in spots. Mo bit better but still a way to go.
      Impressed with Jota coming in after injury, deserved a goal for the showing.
      Nunez thuogh, have been giving him the benefit of the doubt, but he's worrying poor right now, looks slow, poor control and choice of passes, generally just very ordinary.  Needs to seriously sharpen up.
      All in all, much better though.
      Didn't look like reinvention, just had some players back from injury.
      Need more to come back, and form to keep improving.
      Relief, 3 pts :)
      I think this type of game he had today is the best we can expect of him, goals aside, and thatā€™s what worries me. Played 25 mins which was long enough for him to be a threat but also long enough for him to show some huge gaps in his game. With the ball at his feet you just donā€™t expect much of him at all, best you can hope for is that he manages to get a pass off, which isnā€™t always a given.

Think a huge part of it is that we donā€™t play to his strengths, he sometimes finds himself in wide positions and just seems so out of his comfort zone. As some have said, he might be better restricting his involvement in the build up and just focus on getting himself in positions to score. The way we play doesnā€™t lend itself to that idea, we canā€™t really afford a passenger but there has been some talk of reinventing ourselves so who knows.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #350: Sep 13, 2022 10:41:14 pm
      Didn't see it.  What did he say?

Was saying how ex players know what they are going through but still say a lot of things to put them down.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #351: Sep 13, 2022 10:46:56 pm
      Was saying how ex players know what they are going through but still say a lot of things to put them down.

Wonder if he's referring to the Carras of this world who are happy to dance to the sensationalist agenda of Sky.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #352: Sep 13, 2022 10:50:37 pm
      Wonder if he's referring to the Carras of this world who are happy to dance to the sensationalist agenda of Sky.

I expect so, Rio and the BT lot too probably.

I think this type of game he had today is the best we can expect of him, goals aside, and thatā€™s what worries me. Played 25 mins which was long enough for him to be a threat but also long enough for him to show some huge gaps in his game. With the ball at his feet you just donā€™t expect much of him at all, best you can hope for is that he manages to get a pass off, which isnā€™t always a given.

Think a huge part of it is that we donā€™t play to his strengths, he sometimes finds himself in wide positions and just seems so out of his comfort zone. As some have said, he might be better restricting his involvement in the build up and just focus on getting himself in positions to score. The way we play doesnā€™t lend itself to that idea, we canā€™t really afford a passenger but there has been some talk of reinventing ourselves so who knows.

Go back and look at his performances against us last season. It's the complete opposite to how you have just described him.

His minutes on the pitch for us so far (including the Community Shield) are; 31, 39, 57, 80, 28 and 24. He has started 2 games so far and everytime he has played there's been very little going his way because the way the team are performing as a whole. Even when he came on today, it was just overhit pass after overhit pass for him to chase. But what's being forgotten is he set the ball back for Matip when Matip should have shot from the edge of the box and he had a good piece of play that nearly set Diaz up for the winner if the the keeper didn't get the fingertips to it.
      It's far too early to be making any assumptions about him because he has shown how dangerous he can be with his 4 goals in 45mins at the end of pre-season, and his goals against City and Fulham. It would be much better to be judging him when we are actually more together as a team instead of being ripped apart with injuries and being in the worst form we could have asked for so far this season. The way people describe him is exactly how Salah has been; poor touch, not beating his man, not scoring etc, except Nunez hasn't had the luxury of being able to keep playing virtually every minute like Salah.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,653 posts | 1586 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Re: Liverpool vs Ajax: Live match thread
      Reply #353: Sep 13, 2022 11:03:55 pm
      The Napoli game? I can't seen to remember than match..... :couch:

I think we've all detached that game from our minds Red Pup  ;)

Especially after tonight's game....BOOM!!!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #354: Sep 13, 2022 11:06:18 pm
      I expect so, Rio and the BT lot too probably.

Go back and look at his performances against us last season. It's the complete opposite to how you have just described him.

His minutes on the pitch for us so far (including the Community Shield) are; 31, 39, 57, 80, 28 and 24. He has started 2 games so far and everytime he has played there's been very little going his way because the way the team are performing as a whole. Even when he came on today, it was just overhit pass after overhit pass for him to chase. But what's being forgotten is he set the ball back for Matip when Matip should have shot from the edge of the box and he had a good piece of play that nearly set Diaz up for the winner if the the keeper didn't get the fingertips to it.
      It's far too easy to be making any assumptions about him because he has shown how dangerous he can be with his 4 goals in 45mins at the end of pre-season, and his goals against City and Fulham. It would be much better to be judging him when we are actually more together as a team instead of being ripped apart with injuries and being in the worst form we could have asked for so far this season. The way people describe him is exactly how Salah has been; poor touch, not beating his man, not scoring etc, except Nunez hasn't had the luxury of being able to keep playing virtually every minute like Salah.
      As Iā€™ve already said, a player like him thrives against a team like us due to our high line and the pace he possesses. Trouble is, heā€™s not going to face many teams like that when he plays in a Liverpool jersey.

Iā€™m not forgetting any of those things you mentioned. As you can see from my post, I said we seen enough from him to show that he can be a threat. He had some moments tonight and Iā€™m not taking that away from him, it was probably one of his better performances.

On the contrary, I think itā€™s rather easier to defend a player of our own, I donā€™t know why anyone would think a fan gets any pleasure out of one of our own performing poorly, itā€™s just an observation. Every time he steps on to the field Iā€™m hoping to be proved wrong.

Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #355: Sep 13, 2022 11:09:05 pm
      All in all it was a decent performance. Didn't have the luxury of a warm up against Wolves but created chances, worked our way into a bit of form. Thiago is a class act, Diaz has the heart of a lion, and Mo tucked one away so not perfect but we now look to Rangers...mmm..

As I said earlier the jury's still out on Nunez but there is one or two signs that he could do well here. No rush to judgement from me.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,201 posts | 737 
      Reply #356: Sep 13, 2022 11:10:32 pm
      Players reacted well to some deserved criticism and put a shift in. Not a Rolls Royce performance but chalk and cheese with with Napoli debacle. I thought Ajax were well drilled and put some decent moves together. All in all much better effort from all concerned and a thoroughly deserved win....and breathe.
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #357: Sep 13, 2022 11:21:09 pm
      That was so much better tonight, even had we not gotten the late winner Iā€™d be saying the same. Having Jota, Matip and Thiago back in the side is a huge difference. Matipā€™s ability to bring the ball out from the back is priceless, it forces defenders to step up and creates space for others. We look a completely different side with Thiago and Jota gives us pace and mobility up front. We saw a more mobile front three with players interchanging which is what we have been used to for so many years. Nunez for me should get his minutes from the bench for now, this would be my starting forward line for the foreseeable future.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #358: Sep 14, 2022 01:06:17 am
      Delighted for Matip! What a game and return for him! Loved how he took the ball forward and played it through to our front 3.

Goal not shabby either.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #359: Sep 14, 2022 02:07:26 am
      I thought the Bobby sub didnā€™t really work at all, he just gave the ball away in dangerous situations.

We get it, you hate Bobby. 😂

He literally threaded a beautiful pass that put Nunez in and he flashed it across and it was nearly a goal. But yes he only gave the ball away in dangerous situations. 🙄
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #360: Sep 14, 2022 06:10:51 am
      It was a better performance all around the pitch.

Darwin will come good only when our team is well because he needs other to create for him. He is not Diaz type of player where he creates for himself.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #361: Sep 14, 2022 07:16:46 am
      Great win. Great bouncebackability.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #362: Sep 14, 2022 07:32:30 am
      We get it, you hate Bobby. 😂

He literally threaded a beautiful pass that put Nunez in and he flashed it across and it was nearly a goal. But yes he only gave the ball away in dangerous situations. 🙄

Ok you carry on, not sure what some people watch.
      Threaded a beautiful passā€¦ā€¦it was a pass any U9 would have made!

Funny how you missed it was Bobby giving the ball away which resulted in Blind missing the free header!
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2022 07:40:32 am by HScRed1 »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #363: Sep 14, 2022 09:25:15 am
      Played more as a team last night, and not all as individuals trying to rectify obvious issues V Napoli, the fluidity was there as to was some of the rhythm weā€™re all accustomed to, but weā€™re still below par and as good and needed that win was, weā€™re not out of the woods yet,

But for Joel bagging the winner my motm would have been Thiago, F**k me donā€™t we miss him when heā€™s oot, itā€™s too risky hoping this fella stays fit & healthy til May, he is absolutely pivotal if we hope to win anything this season, heā€™s the not so fat controller who dictates games and orchestrateā€™s forward momentum, without him, link up play drops significantly to a point where itā€™s virtually non existent, recent performances attest to that,

The whole defensive unit was much better and seemed more organised, or at least certainly curtailed the school boy errors, Joel charging up the pitch was a joy to behold, and somebodyā€™s has to give him shooting lessons at the AxA, twice he could have pulled the trigger and didnā€™t, so perhaps confidence stopped him from having a go, thought Harvey was under par and didnā€™t have the same vibrancy he has shown of late, maybe because Thiago had some of his limelight and wasnā€™t the main creative spirit, but he did link up well for such a young lad heā€™s bound to have dips here and there,

Fabinho was solid and reliable, a rock of a DM and like Thiago is pivotal, how much would we have been exposed without him ?  So glad JĆ¼rgen agreed with my starting X1, playing Jota thru the middle give us not only different attacking options, he can hold the ball up well and with time will strike up a dangerous Diaz/Jota relationship, with good backing from Robbo & Kostas, Kostas played well too last night and that bodes well when we need to rotate, I think heā€™s earned our trust now ,

Much better from Mo too, although a couple of time his decisions werenā€™t the best, I get sometimes he needs to be selfish and last night wasnā€™t one of them, he had two or three opportunities to put the ball into dangerous areas rather dribble his way thru, but overall he was a threat that occupied Ajax minds all night,

I think with Darwin we need to be patient, pundits and know F**k allā€™s will have him comparable with Haaland which is absolute pish, we are yet to see him in the role he was brought in for, so no one can truly judge him, whatever tweak to the system JĆ¼rgen / Pep have in mind wonā€™t happen until all the components are match fit and healthy and everyone is familiar with it, he himself will need more time to settle into a league perhaps a level or two up from what heā€™s used to, particularly EPL defences, heā€™s not a ā€˜Donkeyā€™ heā€™s not a ā€˜Misfitā€™ and some of you lot are pathetic to think that he is, heā€™s had two full startā€™s and four off the bench, trying to accustom himself into a team fractured by injuries yet some of you are prepared to throw him under the bus ffs, give the lad a break, JĆ¼rgen donā€™t sign donkeyā€™s and he certainly doesnā€™t sign Misfitā€™s, get off the fellaā€™s back ffs and give him the chance to settle, if that takes all this season so be it !!!

Great win, decent performance and a colossal three points, we are up and running in the CL and we will just get better and better.

Next upā€¦.the slightly better half of my home townā€¦.Glasgow Rangersā€¦.back to back, and two wins on the bounce me feelsā€¦..Get it up ye Coisty !!

Y  N  W  A
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #364: Sep 14, 2022 09:57:21 am
      Just want to get something off my chest.

I've found the PR exercise Liverpool have been conducting in the last week, surrounding the Queen, extremely distasteful.  The silence for the Queen was always going to be observed - I'm disappointed in the lack of respect LFC have shown the clubs fans.  The way the club have tried to silence fans on social media has embarrassed me. 

It suggests to me that actually the club don't have a very high regard for their fans/customers at all.

Wheeling out Sir Kenny Dalglish for his tuppene worth ahead of kick off was patronising.  I don't know for sure, but I suspect there were also some other groups 'leant on' to make statements such as the Hillsborough Family Support Group etc.

Liverpool supporters are more than capable of distinguishing between a period of silence for somebody who has died and a royal anthem pledging blind allegiance to the British state.

So they were right to have a silence but playing the National Anthem 'God save the King' would not have gone down well.  So they did the right thing last night.

I just despise the way they were so scared of their own supporters reaction in the days leading up to it - absolutely terrified of the reaction of right wing press.  Shameful in my opinion.  The club need to grow themselves a set of bollocks or we'll all become worse off if we continue our steps towards being just 'another football club.'

End of rant
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #365: Sep 14, 2022 10:15:07 am

I've found the PR exercise Liverpool have been conducting in the last week, surrounding the Queen, extremely distasteful.  The silence for the Queen was always going to be observed - I'm disappointed in the lack of respect LFC have shown the clubs fans.  The way the club have tried to silence fans on social media has embarrassed me. 

It suggests to me that actually the club don't have a very high regard for their fans/customers at all.

Wheeling out Sir Kenny Dalglish for his tuppene worth ahead of kick off was patronising.  I don't know for sure, but I suspect there were also some other groups 'leant on' to make statements such as the Hillsborough Family Support Group etc.

Liverpool supporters are more than capable of distinguishing between a period of silence for somebody who has died and a royal anthem pledging blind allegiance to the British state.

So they were right to have a silence but playing the National Anthem 'God save the King' would not have gone down well.  So they did the right thing last night.

I just despise the way they were so scared of their own supporters reaction in the days leading up to it - absolutely terrified of the reaction of right wing press.  Shameful in my opinion.  The club need to grow themselves a set of bollocks or we'll all become worse off if we continue our steps towards being just 'another football club.'

End of rant

The way they are treating fans full stop is a disgrace mate , the sh*t my mate had over last nights game because he couldnā€™t use his tickets and tried to give them back for someone else to have , he had to end up keeping them not going to the game and losing the money 💰
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #366: Sep 14, 2022 10:29:26 am

End of rant

Last night unfortunately some fans disgraced the club by attempting to shout and chant over the minutes silence

Some of the stuff said on social media from some ā€œfansā€ is disgusting and thatā€™s why the club had to turn off comments

And the Hillsborough groups were very worried that some fans would do exactly what happened last night

I hope those fans that attempted to disturb the minutes silence are thrown out of the club because they are a stain

There was a young lad near us who attempted and was quickly shouted down but as it kept happening the referee clearly cut the silence short

Itā€™s a shame that the small minority once again tried to ruin and in the end all they have done is giving other clubs fans ammunition
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,775 posts | 392 
      Reply #367: Sep 14, 2022 10:33:06 am
      I found the whole thing patronising too I think Anfield and LFC fans are very good at self policing. Booing a national anthem at a cup final is different to disrupting a minutes silence for the death of the Queen.

Yes a few were always going to do it, but they got shushed pretty quickly. The minutes silence was already turned into a 'moments' silence in another patronising act. It wasn't that the referee ended it short, that was already pre determined by the club before KO.

Quick Reply