Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson Becker
      8 (7.8%)
      James Milner
      11 (10.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      40 (38.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      4 (3.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (1.9%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      4 (3.9%)
      Diogo Jota
      4 (3.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      30 (29.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      Fábio Carvalho
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Voting closed: Oct 20, 2022 06:27:20 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 14269 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Oct 16, 2022 11:46:37 pm
      Just popped in for a quick gloat 😂😂😂
      Everyone put in this effort on Wednesday, West Ham will get blown away.
      Just like their stupid childish bubbles 😂😂
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #622: Oct 16, 2022 11:58:05 pm
      Stevie and Kenny are in a league of their own but the third best player to have played for this club is Mohammed Salah.
      Roger Hunt....IMO
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #623: Oct 17, 2022 01:05:56 am
      Ref tried to give an advantage to City, not like they need it. Great win, great effort today. Especially Joe and James. Probably should have been 3-0 had Nunez been a little less selfish.  Fab and Thiago show how they run a game when they are in sync. Harvey ran his nuts off too, hope he starts getting into some goals soon.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #624: Oct 17, 2022 02:46:56 am
      Stevie and Kenny are in a league of their own but the third best player to have played for this club is Mohammed Salah.

Statement, that!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #625: Oct 17, 2022 03:26:04 am
      That was an incredible game of footie!!  So many teams (like Spurs under Conte) are willing to play ugly, boring footie in search of results, but both us and City are intent on playing attack minded, exciting footie and it always produces an amazing spectacle.  Well done to both sides in that respect!! 

It's amazing how good we can be when all of our players are focused and show that sort of grit and determination.  If we'd played like that (the effort and focus) all season we'd easily be within touching distance of the top.  Hopefully this can represent a turning point in our season. 

Just about everyone in red put in a commendable shift today. 

Ali made a couple of good saves and was reliable as ever.  The assist for the goal was a peach. 

Millie rolled back the years and didn't put a foot wrong all match.  Had Foden in his pocket. 

Gomez was immense at CB.  I'm not a fan of him at RB, but he's a quality CB.  Had Frankenstein in his pocket. 

VVD stood up amid the criticism and led by example at the back.  Calm as you like. 

Robbo brought some great energy and intensity to the side.  As good as Kostas is at standing in when necessary, we miss the fiesty Scot when he's not in the side. 

Fab, Thiago, and Hendo (when he came on) all put in good shifts in the engine room, but Harvey deserves special mention.  His commitment to the defensive responsibilities were a massive reason why we won today. Millie was never exposed at RB due to the cover he got from Harvey.  What a mature performance from the young lad!!

Bobby and Jota both quietly had good games.  They both did a lot of defensive work to help keep City quiet.  Jota is arguably developing into a player capable of taking the false 9 role of Bobby when he moves on. 

Mo was outstanding!! It's good to have the Egyptian King back on his game!!  You could argue he should have passed to Jota on the one breakaway, but he was 1v1 with the keeper on his left foot and only a brilliant fingertips save kept him from scoring.  Can't fault him for being selfish -- it usually serves him well.  As for the goal, just take a bow son!!  What a goal!! 

Honestly, the only player I feel like is due some criticism is Darwin.  He is arguably one of the most physically gifted players I've ever seen.  His natural pace, power, and imposing size make him a handful and we saw him put some of those characteristics to good use today, but his decision making and awareness is really poor.  Unlike Mo, Darwin wasn't 1v1 with the keeper, but he was leading a 3v1 break.  If he had laid the ball off to Diogo or squared it to Mo, then we almost certainly go 2-0 up, but instead he blasted the ball straight at the defender.  It's a bit frustrating watching him, but I have faith that Jürgen and the coaching staff can sort him out and get him playing smarter in the near future. 

Overall, it was a great performance and a win to savor!! 
      « Last Edit: Oct 17, 2022 03:46:33 am by harrydunn08 »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #626: Oct 17, 2022 07:54:20 am
      I think a big difference in our performance was firstly down to how well Harvey covered Millie, how VVD and Joe put in a real shift, and the difference in decision making between Diogo and Diaz. 
      Diogo much more telling with his use of the ball.
      Also a massive effort from everyone in red plus Ali.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #627: Oct 17, 2022 07:59:45 am
      That was an incredible game of footie!!  So many teams (like Spurs under Conte) are willing to play ugly, boring footie in search of results, but both us and City are intent on playing attack minded, exciting footie and it always produces an amazing spectacle.  Well done to both sides in that respect!! 

It's amazing how good we can be when all of our players are focused and show that sort of grit and determination.  If we'd played like that (the effort and focus) all season we'd easily be within touching distance of the top.  Hopefully this can represent a turning point in our season. 

Just about everyone in red put in a commendable shift today. 

Ali made a couple of good saves and was reliable as ever.  The assist for the goal was a peach. 

Millie rolled back the years and didn't put a foot wrong all match.  Had Foden in his pocket. 

Gomez was immense at CB.  I'm not a fan of him at RB, but he's a quality CB.  Had Frankenstein in his pocket. 

VVD stood up amid the criticism and led by example at the back.  Calm as you like. 

Robbo brought some great energy and intensity to the side.  As good as Kostas is at standing in when necessary, we miss the fiesty Scot when he's not in the side. 

Fab, Thiago, and Hendo (when he came on) all put in good shifts in the engine room, but Harvey deserves special mention.  His commitment to the defensive responsibilities were a massive reason why we won today. Millie was never exposed at RB due to the cover he got from Harvey.  What a mature performance from the young lad!!

Bobby and Jota both quietly had good games.  They both did a lot of defensive work to help keep City quiet.  Jota is arguably developing into a player capable of taking the false 9 role of Bobby when he moves on. 

Mo was outstanding!! It's good to have the Egyptian King back on his game!!  You could argue he should have passed to Jota on the one breakaway, but he was 1v1 with the keeper on his left foot and only a brilliant fingertips save kept him from scoring.  Can't fault him for being selfish -- it usually serves him well.  As for the goal, just take a bow son!!  What a goal!! 

Honestly, the only player I feel like is due some criticism is Darwin.  He is arguably one of the most physically gifted players I've ever seen.  His natural pace, power, and imposing size make him a handful and we saw him put some of those characteristics to good use today, but his decision making and awareness is really poor.  Unlike Mo, Darwin wasn't 1v1 with the keeper, but he was leading a 3v1 break.  If he had laid the ball off to Diogo or squared it to Mo, then we almost certainly go 2-0 up, but instead he blasted the ball straight at the defender.  It's a bit frustrating watching him, but I have faith that Jürgen and the coaching staff can sort him out and get him playing smarter in the near future. 

Overall, it was a great performance and a win to savor!! 

Fantastic performance. You mention focus. Focus and concentration was massive yesterday. We have not had that this season and come out fast asleep many times.

But yesterday it looked different from the off. The crowd, the occasion and the opposition would obviously play a part in that. But it was a welcome change back to what we're used to seeing. We were just tuned in and ready and city knew it.

I think back to all the years prior to Jürgen arriving .... we'd get up for a big game ... take 3 points but then follow it up with an unrecognisable performance in the next match. We can't do that. West ham, forest and Leeds needs to produce another 9 points.

Good signs yesterday. Great spirit ... our togetherness was there. Some quality football and the biggest thing for me and something I've complained about all season was that jurgens senior players ... his leaders stepped up and performed to their usual level. This helps lads like Elliott produce the type of performance he did yesterday. Long May it continue. Onto Wednesday we go ... same kind of atmosphere would be great as well. Anfield yesterday was the place no team enjoys visiting. When it's like that ... the lads must feel invincible.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #628: Oct 17, 2022 08:37:20 am
      Well impressed with way we played. Well deserved win,went for  Elliot thought he covered the whole field, getting forward and helping Millie great performance all round
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #629: Oct 17, 2022 08:45:28 am
      Hope jota isn’t seriously injured

Felt his groin man, it will be weeks. :(
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #630: Oct 17, 2022 08:47:30 am
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #631: Oct 17, 2022 08:57:33 am
      WOW! JUST F***ing WOW!

I am walking on sunshine this morning, beaming from ear to ear! That performance yesterday was F***ing phenomenal! Everything we have been missing this Season came back together in one fell swoop.

Was a really close call for MOTM between Milner and Gomez but i went with Gomez. Thought all the lads were absolutely outstanding throughout. I don't know what happened but it is back. This game will change our Season.

Just want to give a special mention to Klopp, what a F***ing man. I just watched the post match interviews and the media are F***ing disgusting vultures! We have put in a phenomenal performance, turned over the Champions and all they want to talk about is his red card and the mistake with the substitution board! Klopp absolutely destroys them and they hate it! I have had enough of these F***ing scumbags.

I will stand next to this man and fight any c**t. He loves us, he speaks our tongue, doesn't take any sh*t from w*nk journalists and they hate him for it! I've always known they hate us but now it is blatant warfare.

This is war mentality now, battle lines have been drawn! I F***ing love you Klopp, Let's start kicking the F**k out of everybody and taking names!

IKWT
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #632: Oct 17, 2022 08:59:07 am

Gomez had a good game, wouldn't go as far as immense.  He was badly positioned for their 'goal' and had wandered away from Haaland first half and given him a free header from 6 yards out.   Van Dijk had a good game, that header over the bar - I've watched it again and it still looks impossible for him to do it!

I think back to all the years prior to Jürgen arriving .... we'd get up for a big game ... take 3 points but then follow it up with an unrecognisable performance in the next match. We can't do that. West ham, forest and Leeds needs to produce another 9 points.

I hear you on this.   When we were an average side we could still pull off these kind of performances so my immediate concern is that this is one of those flash in the pan results.  Need to see a serious double digit point total in the five Premier League games before the World Cup.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #633: Oct 17, 2022 09:05:08 am
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #634: Oct 17, 2022 09:44:39 am
      no Shekels for him in his Swizz account this weekend. He should be asked to explain himself

Wouldn't doubt it mate!
      Would he be asked to explain himself to the FA?
      The corrupt FA are the reason officials like him are refereeing games at the highest level!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #635: Oct 17, 2022 09:46:59 am
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #636: Oct 17, 2022 09:48:08 am
      Gomez had a good game, wouldn't go as far as immense.  He was badly positioned for their 'goal' and had wandered away from Haaland first half and given him a free header from 6 yards out.   Van Dijk had a good game, that header over the bar - I've watched it again and it still looks impossible for him to do it!

I hear you on this.   When we were an average side we could still pull off these kind of performances so my immediate concern is that this is one of those flash in the pan results.  Need to see a serious double digit point total in the five Premier League games before the World Cup.

Defo need to back this up with a win on Wednesday night.
      welease_bwian
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #637: Oct 17, 2022 11:09:33 am
      Based on that would like to see us give a 4 4 2 with Mo and Nunez up top a good trial over the next few weeks.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #638: Oct 17, 2022 11:21:19 am

dont give Joe much credit do you.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #639: Oct 17, 2022 11:39:56 am
      did anyone see the coins thrown at Pep ? will he be charged with inciting the crowd and now they say there Bus was attacked last night  this came after the complaint about their supporters vile chants and vandalism.
      They really are a bunch whinging muppets especially when they do not win .
      There is a picture of a windscreen with a chip in it but you have to think there is a certain amount of deflection in this after the defeat and the clubs statement about their scummy supporters.  I hope the club follow up on the coin throwing if there was someone its easy to identify them and ban them if there is no evidence ask him for an apology, he is the worst sort of loser
      « Last Edit: Oct 17, 2022 12:01:26 pm by waltonl4 »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #640: Oct 17, 2022 12:32:34 pm

Yeah a bit harsh from JD
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #641: Oct 17, 2022 02:49:34 pm

Lots of people play down a players performance if they were critical of them pre match.

Milner was boss and Gomez was arguably man of the match.

Harvey Elliott looks extremely good in his natural position too instead of being asked to play as a centre mid where he’s not as comfortable.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #642: Oct 17, 2022 03:03:36 pm
      what pisses me off is we are accused of throwing coins but City fans are alleged to have sung vile songs and wrote graffiti in the concourse which is clear by photos. Has anyone seen photos or video of the coin throwing ?.
      Now they are accusing Klopp of inflaming the situation in his press conference over the spending of City ,PSG and Newcastle they really do not like getting beat do they.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #643: Oct 17, 2022 03:06:33 pm
      Lots of people play down a players performance if they were critical of them pre match.

Milner was boss and Gomez was arguably man of the match.

Harvey Elliott looks extremely good in his natural position too instead of being asked to play as a centre mid where he’s not as comfortable.

I was critical of Milner pre match but am happy to eat as much humble pie as needed because he was superb. But some keep on at Joe as if it was his fault he got a almost career ending injury that even Keown said takes two years to get over and he has been injured since then.
      I remember just how good he was alongside Virgil before that so know how good he can be and its f***in excellent news for Jürgen he is showing signs of constant improvement in fitness and form we need him.

Quick Reply