Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Ham?

Alisson Becker
      27 (38.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      1 (1.4%)
      Fábio Carvalho
      2 (2.9%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      5 (7.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      27 (38.6%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      4 (5.7%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.4%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: Oct 23, 2022 09:23:51 pm

Liverpool 1-0 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 9252 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Oct 20, 2022 01:48:15 pm
      Nunez is apparently the quickest play in the league and was really looking dangerous and could have had 3 or more. I thought it would be natural for the lads to have a dip after such an impressive game on Sunday.
      Been a good week hasnt it 3 win goals and the future looking so much better than a week ago
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #277: Oct 20, 2022 02:20:49 pm
      Allisson is player of the season so far for me. It's not even close as far as I'm concerned. Another huge performance from him playing behind a backline that once again was shaky if not disastrous at times.

Someone needs to have a talk with Trent. If you noticed, the lad is not out of the picture defensively, he does track his man and he is there, but it seems like he is absolutely terrified of putting a tackle in for some reason. Somebody needs to remind him tackling is part of being a defender even if you are a right back. Put him in the middle of the rondo for the next few weeks or something because it can't go on like that. I am aware this is probably a loss of confidence first and foremost because he was not like that the seasons before, but he needs to get it together quickly or its just a matter of time before he's at the heart of another poor defensive performance.

Another thing I noticed during the game is that Salah started the game way too close to the touchline and was stuck there until Harvey was subbed in but by then we had totally lost control of the game because Thiago was subbed off and we reverted to that weird brand of football we have been playing since the start of the season which is comprised of three very simple steps: Get the ball (1), nobody in midfield can manage to break through the opposition's press (2), and finally, panic and make a poor long pass to an isolated forward upfront and lose the ball (3). The thing I take out of this is that for our 4-4-2 to work against lesser opposition we need Thiago in midfield and Harvey playing the hybrid RM/RCM role he's been playing in order to free Mo and whoever is playing in front or behind Mo. Anything else and we lose our ability to keep the ball long enough and in enough free spaces to create anything or Mo is forced to the byline and we know he's much less effective there. The bad news is this means that we are one Thiago injury away from our 4-4-2 being useless because we, effectively, seem to have no ability to break through any press without him on the ball which in turn means the most creative you can get is by throwing passes over the top which wont work against opposition not willing to throw their whole team in your half like City did. Some people did not like the changes Klopp did, I agree, but he has no choice. Very busy schedule and everybody and their grandpa is injured. We can't risk losing Thiago or anybody else to be honest.

The positives now! Nunez bagged yet another goal which is huge for his confidence (he's getting there). He could've left the game with at least another goal if it wasn't for his shot hitting the post. Despite being shaky defensively we got ourselves another clean sheet which I imagine will also do wonders for this backline's confidence levels. In due time, Carvalho is going to be a big player for us. He is still young and has a tendency to take one too many touch on the ball, but the lad has the ability to keep the ball and run with it which, yesterday, after Thiago, made him our second most efficient player at breaking through the opposition's press. Assuming we keep playing that 4-4-2 and assuming that when he starts, Klopp employs him the same way he employs Harvey on that right flank (hybrid between an RM and RCM) then I could see him slowly becoming what we wanted Keita to be in terms of carrying the ball forward through the middle. Tsimikas is solid both defensively and offensively. Only a few games ago that he was just ''okay'' defensively. Klopp was forced into those subs by fear of injury, but its good that we made sure Thiago, Nunez, Carvalho, etc. all stay healthy while giving someone like Jones some minutes after a lengthy period on the sideline.

All in all, get the 3 points by any means necessary, rotate your squad, get the confidence boost and move on!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #278: Oct 20, 2022 02:55:58 pm

The thing I take out of this is that for our 4-4-2 to work against lesser opposition we need Thiago in midfield and Harvey playing the hybrid RM/RCM role he's been playing in order to free Mo and whoever is playing in front or behind Mo. Anything else and we lose our ability to keep the ball long enough and in enough free spaces to create anything or Mo is forced to the byline and we know he's much less effective there. The bad news is this means that we are one Thiago injury away from our 4-4-2 being useless because we, effectively, seem to have no ability to break through any press without him on the ball which in turn means the most creative you can get is by throwing passes over the top which wont work against opposition not willing to throw their whole team in your half like City did.

This is where Keita's injury hurts the most as he is as good as they come in carrying the ball through the middle and breaking the press. Last season he was healthy for the majority of it, but this season is a joke and am finally fed up with him. He's missed a quarter of the season and never even kicked a ball for us. He's apparently back in training, but with our medical staff taking care of him he'll likely go down injured again.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #279: Oct 20, 2022 03:05:15 pm
      This is where Keita's injury hurts the most as he is as good as they come in carrying the ball through the middle and breaking the press. Last season he was healthy for the majority of it, but this season is a joke and am finally fed up with him. He's missed a quarter of the season and never even kicked a ball for us. He's apparently back in training, but with our medical staff taking care of him he'll likely go down injured again.
      I agree with every word. I don't even consider him part of the squad anymore because its going to be this useless game of expecting his return then 2 games into it he's out for a week that then becomes a month, etc. all season long (same with Ox). Last season the medical staff seemed to have found something with him and Matip, but we are seemingly back to square one, at least with Keita. If I'm right it will be the same with Matip (sorry if some see this a jynxing it, but its just my honest opinion mixed with a bit of frustration).
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #280: Oct 20, 2022 03:36:41 pm
      Great first half but yet again we let West Ham of the hook, second half not to bad but too many substitutions for my liking changed the flow of the game
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #281: Oct 20, 2022 03:40:33 pm
      Nunez is apparently the quickest play in the league and was really looking dangerous and could have had 3 or more. I thought it would be natural for the lads to have a dip after such an impressive game on Sunday.
      Been a good week hasnt it 3 win goals and the future looking so much better than a week ago

3 wins on the bounce is massive - very happy.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #282: Oct 20, 2022 05:27:01 pm
      As Polar has mentioned Ali has been superb this season so much so I think we often take him for granted his level of performance is just unrivalled .
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #283: Oct 20, 2022 05:28:05 pm
      Great first half but yet again we let West Ham of the hook, second half not to bad but too many substitutions for my liking changed the flow of the game

that 2-0 scoreline is just so important but 1-0 is cool 2 clean sheets in two EPL games not bad for a team that can't defend
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #284: Oct 20, 2022 05:30:02 pm
      As Polar has mentioned Ali has been superb this season so much so I think we often take him for granted his level of performance is just unrivalled .

Simply the best keeper I've seen between the sticks for us.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #285: Oct 21, 2022 01:15:23 am
      And Breathe....phew!!

What a relief to get through that game with all 3 points.

Knew Bowen would go that way, yelled at Ali to go right and he did. he heard me!!!

Have I just read that Rice got MOTM??? What the actual f**k??

Non existent till thiago went off, barely even noticed him and some want him in our midfield. That's a BIG NO THANKS FOR ME!!!

Surely much more technical and better players out there in world football, then an overpriced hack from a sh*t Club like West Ham...f**k that idea off!!!

Up the F***ing Reds, 3 wins on the bounce just another 40 odd games to win!!!  ;D
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #286: Oct 21, 2022 08:35:37 am
      Great to get a bit of a run going. Still on edge over injuries. Klopp is getting very wary as well. Every time one of the front 3 go to ground his ticker will miss a beat. Just get to the feckin' World cup without any more crocs. Get the others fit and at least have most of the squad back for the battles ahead.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #287: Oct 21, 2022 10:47:46 am
      People moan about hendo but rice offers very little offensively

they have about the same goal scoring rate which is poor

Quick Reply