Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Ajax?

Alisson Becker
      2 (3.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      16 (26.2%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (6.6%)
      Harvey Elliott
      17 (27.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      14 (23%)
      Darwin Núñez
      4 (6.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.6%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      0 (0%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Fábio Carvalho
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: Oct 30, 2022 08:51:54 pm

Ajax 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 8886 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: Ajax 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Oct 27, 2022 09:38:41 am
      Funny game last night, we looked all over the place for half an hour and unlucky not to be 2 goals down and then the lads settled, grabbed some possession and after the goal we looked in complete control and bossed it. Bar the Napoli game you have to feel good about us in Europe this season. Despite the league form and our injuries it still wouldn't surprise me if we made it to the semi-finals of the competition this season. We can put this one to bed now and simply focus on the league and hopefully be right in the mix for top four as we go into the WC break.

There are some things to be positive about, young Elliot is really beginning to blossom, Nunez is raw as anything but he's finding the net regularly and i love his effort and work-rate, he certainly gives us something different. Robbo is just beginning to find a bit of form and with a bit of luck Konate can keep himself fit. I also think Klopp has found a couple of alternative formations that can work with this squad (particularly as we deal with the injuries). I quite like Nunez on the left of a 4 with Salah through the middle and Harvey on the right and we have also seen the 4-2-3-1 a few times in recent games (this one looked good with Salah, Diaz and Jota playing behind Nunez). A bit of tactical flexibility is always a good thing.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #415: Oct 27, 2022 09:56:30 am
      Elliott with another goal.
      Henderson with another outside of the boot assist.
      You love to see it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #416: Oct 27, 2022 10:25:54 am
      I'm not as enamored with the performance as some of your guys but definitely was an air of control once we got the second.

For me the formation and midfield in particular was all over the place at times and the front players seemed confused as to their role until later in the second half.

It did seem to settle down to more of a 4 2 3 1 and that really does suit us but earlier in the game Henderson seems to be playing wide left with Harvey possibly right but drifting in a lot more.

Good to get the win, and what turned out to be a comfortable win, but still a lot of work to do as a better side would have finished us in that first half.

« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2022 12:20:59 pm by srslfc »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #417: Oct 27, 2022 10:57:41 am
      Last night showed just how important the first goal is for us nowadays. I used to be relaxed if we went a goal down but not any more. The first 20mins or so I thought we were sh*te and if Ajax had taken their chances we could have been 2 or 3 down. If that happens it’s a completely different game and one I don’t think we would have gotten back into to be honest. We were a bit of a mess.

However the lads weathered it and we took the lead. There was no looking back after that. Thought we controlled the game exceptionally well from that point on and by the end of the match we could have beaten them by whatever score we wanted really.

Big game on Saturday v Leeds. It’s a must win.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #418: Oct 27, 2022 12:07:33 pm
      its an away game in the CL to a decent team what more could they do 3 good goals a clean sheet there is nothing to pick apart you cant say if we were playing a better team etc because we may have upped pour game a few levels and destroyed them as we can.
      Just happy for Jürgen and the Boys qualification with a game to go life in these old Dogs yet
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #419: Oct 27, 2022 01:09:09 pm
      Well Ajax needed a win so yes they came at us and could've scored but even if they did I think we would've got at the very least a draw. Elliott did well again but that is on the front foot. He is a lightweight coming back, that part of his game needs more work.

Trent again didn't defend very well, looking closely at his game and why wide players get past him nearly every time. He doesn't seem to have that zip from almost a standing position. He'll go out to confront the wide player in possession, they come at him, drop the shoulder, go either way and their past him or can lay off a dangerous ball. He just does  not impose himself or just stands off that tiny bit too much. This gives the attacker a slight advantage, half a yard or so more than he should be getting. Once this happens all kinds of options open up for the attackers, coming in either side or the square ball across.

Just not intense enough defending from Trent. It's not much but at the top level these guys only need that slight advantage. He has to get meaner, tighter, sharper, more aggressive, bite the bas**rds.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #420: Oct 27, 2022 07:22:13 pm
      If we score first we win. If we concede first we dont. Check the stats-  crazy
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 751 
      Reply #421: Oct 27, 2022 08:45:39 pm
      Did well to come back and control the game, after being put under pressure by Ajax, in the first half hour. A really good assist from Jordan Henderson, to set up a goal forSalah who took his strike well. Another assist this time from Robertson for Nunez to score, gave us control with Elliott scoring made it a comfortable win, after a difficult start.

Now that qualification is secured, it is time to concentrate on the Premier League, starting on Saturday against Leeds !
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #422: Oct 27, 2022 10:09:56 pm
      If we score first we win. If we concede first we dont. Check the stats-  crazy

We could have should have conceded first on at least 2 occasions yesterday.  We got really lucky that Ajax didn't finish those chances.  This has been a consistent issue recently and we need to get it sorted asap. 
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #423: Oct 27, 2022 10:32:39 pm
      Well Ajax needed a win so yes they came at us and could've scored but even if they did I think we would've got at the very least a draw. Elliott did well again but that is on the front foot. He is a lightweight coming back, that part of his game needs more work.

Trent again didn't defend very well, looking closely at his game and why wide players get past him nearly every time. He doesn't seem to have that zip from almost a standing position. He'll go out to confront the wide player in possession, they come at him, drop the shoulder, go either way and their past him or can lay off a dangerous ball. He just does  not impose himself or just stands off that tiny bit too much. This gives the attacker a slight advantage, half a yard or so more than he should be getting. Once this happens all kinds of options open up for the attackers, coming in either side or the square ball across.

Just not intense enough defending from Trent. It's not much but at the top level these guys only need that slight advantage. He has to get meaner, tighter, sharper, more aggressive, bite the bas**rds.
      Like most things in life...you're better at it if you're enjoying it...Sadly football looks like a chore for him this past few months...Totally lacking focus. I feel for him, I hope he can ignite his passion for the game, he's got bags of talent.

Quick Reply