Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leeds?

Alisson Becker
      10 (16.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      30 (50.8%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      3 (5.1%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      3 (5.1%)
      Darwin Núñez
      1 (1.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (10.2%)
      James Milner
      2 (3.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: Nov 02, 2022 08:41:09 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18645 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #805: Oct 30, 2022 01:42:22 am
      On the contrary, the problem we have is not the midfield.

Our strikers are not scoring. Simple.

The Leeds keeper made nine crucial saves.

We had fourteen corner kicks and couldn't convert any.

Our forwards are misfiring.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #806: Oct 30, 2022 01:51:24 am

I'll tell you now, we sort the midfield and we do better.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #807: Oct 30, 2022 04:41:50 am

Is it the strikers fault then that the midfield doesn't score, or create? Is it the strikers fault the midfield turn the ball over time after time? Is it the strikers fault that teams just walk through our 'midfield'?

We've problems everywhere. Some of our defenders are just coasting, and some of them walk from one disaster to another. Mo isn't carrying us and as a team we arnt scoring enough.

The biggest issue is an elderley slow uncreative midfield that's one of the worst in the league. End of story. The problems infront and behind the midfield are a continuation on from that.

I said all Summer we need at least 2 mids of genuine quality. We didn't get one because there was no money made available to Jürgen. Surprise fu*king surprise there
      Hopeinmyheart
      • Banned

• 64 posts |
      Reply #808: Oct 30, 2022 05:46:18 am
      Is it the strikers fault then that the midfield doesn't score, or create? Is it the strikers fault the midfield turn the ball over time after time? Is it the strikers fault that teams just walk through our 'midfield'?

We've problems everywhere. Some of our defenders are just coasting, and some of them walk from one disaster to another. Mo isn't carrying us and as a team we arnt scoring enough.

The biggest issue is an elderley slow uncreative midfield that's one of the worst in the league. End of story. The problems infront and behind the midfield are a continuation on from that.

I said all Summer we need at least 2 mids of genuine quality. We didn't get one because there was no money made available to Jürgen. Surprise fu*king surprise there

We spunked our money on a striker that misses sitters every game, can't make a simple 5 yard pass and can't trap a ball. Everytime he gets it I whince at what he's going to do. Once we signed him it was right who and what the F**k can we sell to make this back? They would have sold Shank's statue if it would have helped balance the Nunez deal.

I hate them. I've hated them since Jan 2020 when they signed those two clowns when Jürgen needed quality. Some think I'm extreme but I don't care. I saw this coming a long long time ago. Last year didn't fool me. Mane got off. He knew what's going on here.

I'd go as far as to say we're not the well run club people make out. Look at our squad. Look at the midfield. What is Ox and Keita still doing here? How is there no backup right back? We sold the one we had to balance the books. We signed two kids and Nunez. Who tf signed Nunez? Did they only watch him against us?

So so so much is wrong
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #809: Oct 30, 2022 08:17:25 am
      It's no coincidence we started Milner/Gomez on the right side of defense vs Citeh.
      Why we didn't stick with that for a while, or Konate/Gomez, I don't know.
      Right now TAA/Gomez is a liability game after game.
      Our defenders should focus on defense first, and if that means we don't have as many attacking options from FB, so be it.
      Have to try and stop leaking goals, relegation fodder are turning us over ffs.
      I'm not sure about TAA in the middle, but it might be worth a try, at least would have another midfielder with defensive instincts, and couldn't do less than Elliot did last night anyway.
      Be hard to beat. The basics.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #810: Oct 30, 2022 08:22:23 am
      Harvey is my guy but he was absolutely dreadful last night: errant pass after errant pass.
      The combo of Elliot and Thiago could perhaps be the slowest midfield duo in the PL.
      Damn I hate watching shots aimed at the center of the net.
      LFC players were slipping all over in the 1st half.....ON THEIR HOME FIELD. Makes no sense. Cleat issues?
      Thought Nunez was terrific all night but the Leeds goaltender was aggressive at closing down angles.
      Team misses Diaz tremendously.
      PL has caught on to Klopp system. Bottom of the tier PL teams would die to switch current rosters with LFC yet their bargain basement players stymie the LFC offense and run roughshod on the defense game after game.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #811: Oct 30, 2022 08:30:29 am
      the midfield provide no cover for the CB's or Trent and Andy the team ran 11k less than Leeds our midfield has no legs left and that pr**k you converse with has far more support for FSG than Jürgen or the team he is just full of excuses but if you bothered to listen to Souness who actually does know what a midfield player is they are just worn out and have little more to give. Nothing wrong with scoring goals and just blaming Joe Gomez all the time is a f**king joke tonight Ali put his hand up for  his mistake and even Jürgen called ALi aout for slipping in th eposition he was in . YOu must be the only person other than that tw*t you post with who doesnt think the midfield is the problem and that includes most pundits and the manager himself.

Calm down Walt  ;D Read my post again and many others re midfield. Fundamentally it would now appear you have problems almost across the board with the exception of a Goalkeeper. I’ve stated time and time again midfield is the biggest problem so just because I occasionally agree with Pj you get hot under your collar.  :D

I listen to Souness all the time, he’s in my best 3 pundits. I love it when him and Keano on the same match.

I know you love and stand by Gomez and like anything it’s your opinion. I’m still of the opinion he’s sh*te and always will be.  What gets me is when he does have the odd good game ( which he does ) members are quick to go on his thread and say he proved the doubters wrong  :lmao: Fcuk me one good game in 90 mins he’s allegedly back to his best,  :lmao: we both know it doesn’t work like that.

Think we all  know Pj avid supporter of FSG but he has a right just as any of us do to post his opinions. You’ve done the right thing for yourself and put him on ignore like many put me on ignore just coz I’m a manc.  He’s very frustrating at times but aren’t we all when we want to be.  :D

Try and not get frustrated when some of us agree with a post of his, he can’t be wrong all the time, least not in my book. He’s a good poster most of the time if you don’t read the FSG thread.  ;D

Pj has a very good talent of winding you lot up and most of you fall for it. However, he’s still entitled ( just as I am ) to post and even support FSG which clearly floats his boat.

Cool man, you know I love yeah  ;D

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #812: Oct 30, 2022 08:34:38 am
      Not buying this fatigued nonsense. They're underperforming end of story. Not injuries either. Diaz and Jota are big misses but there's too many big players not doing it.

The desire of Leeds and Forest was much greater than ours. Both deserved their victories

That’s fine Don not asking you to, it’s a opinion just as yours is.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #813: Oct 30, 2022 08:38:28 am
      Calm down Walt  ;D Read my post again and many others re midfield. Fundamentally it would now appear you have problems almost across the board with the exception of a Goalkeeper. I’ve stated time and time again midfield is the biggest problem so just because I occasionally agree with Pj you get hot under your collar.  :D

I listen to Souness all the time, he’s in my best 3 pundits. I love it when him and Keano on the same match.

I know you love and stand by Gomez and like anything it’s your opinion. I’m still of the opinion he’s sh*te and always will be.  What gets me is when he does have the odd good game ( which he does ) members are quick to go on his thread and say he proved the doubters wrong  :lmao: Fcuk me one good game in 90 mins he’s allegedly back to his best,  :lmao: we both know it doesn’t work like that.

Think we all  know Pj avid supporter of FSG but he has a right just as any of us do to post his opinions. You’ve done the right thing for yourself and put him on ignore like many put me on ignore just coz I’m a manc.  He’s very frustrating at times but aren’t we all when we want to be.  :D

Try and not get frustrated when some of us agree with a post of his, he can’t be wrong all the time, least not in my book. He’s a good poster most of the time if you don’t read the FSG thread.  ;D

Pj has a very good talent of winding you lot up and most of you fall for it. However, he’s still entitled ( just as I am ) to post and even support FSG which clearly floats his boat.

Cool man, you know I love yeah  ;D

there is a time and place, Joe Gomez has Trent going missing and then a Midfield like a cullender he was equally to blame as Ali who held his hand up but people still like a baying mob blame Joe. Virgil has been below his best all season and your mate spends his time being contrary or reacting to every post about FSG he is as far removed from being a Liverpool supporter as could possibly be. Joe is 3rd or 4th choice so no point in killing the lad when he is all we have. Leeds ran 11km more than us just an indication of how spent we are or how lacking in effort we are. have you become a snowflake now ? defending peoples rights to be a tw*t
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #814: Oct 30, 2022 08:43:47 am
      Hopefully a lot of the emotions have calmed down now

But let’s look at where we are

The squad

Ali obviously no issues

Back line

TAA - his confidence has been ripped apart by all the England nonsense and it’s affected his game , moving him to an alien position is not the way to go , Klopp need to find a way to build that back up , hopefully he won’t go to the World Cup and the break will be great

VVD - not sure what’s going on with him , looks like he is playing at 50% every game , big drop in form , he is a big enough character to get himself out off it

Matip and Konate - Konate was superb when he played , Matip was starting to look shaky

Robbo -started the season poor but since the injury been superb

Gomez - the season before that horrific injury he was imperious alongside VVD , but he is having a mistake each match - is it form or did the injury cause long term damage

Midfield

Right now the biggest issue is the lack of shape and energy

Fabinho is 29 but just has heavy legs , it doesn’t help that he is isolated a lot

We need to go back to last years shape - two workers in either Fab and Hendo or Naby and then one who roams a bit more - Thiago or Elliot

Can’t have both Thiago and Elliot playing together - left Fabinho exposed and huge gaps all over the place

Need to get fresh legs in - worth giving Bajetic a run

Front three

Again shape and energy - they were the key to pressing and right now it’s down - it doesn’t help having two key players out right now

Nunez is raw and will develop

But we still shouldn’t ignore the mental and physical hangover from last season

Everything about the end was heartbreaking for players and fans but then the shortened break , shortened pre season - it’s imo having a huge impact right now

The World Cup is going to give them a great chance to reset , put feet up hopefully bring a player in and then go again

We have battled back from low points before and they need our support and backing , none more so than the crowd

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #815: Oct 30, 2022 08:48:56 am

He’s not sh*te. Proved dozens of times just how good he is. You’re laughing because people go after his critics whenever he performs but it’s exactly the same when he has a shocker and his critics come back.

He’s in poor form and at the moment I don’t think he’s suited to play at CB. He looks much more comfortable at full back nowadays.

But any CB in the world would struggle playing behind that midfield at the moment though. Even Virgil has looked finished at times to me this season.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #816: Oct 30, 2022 08:54:03 am
      What I noticed at the match last night was how the crowd got angry with the performance / the players. I haven’t seen that for years.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #817: Oct 30, 2022 09:00:31 am
      Wa? No, put Trent RCM. I want to see Gomez rb and Trent infront of him. Be an interesting experiment. It’s something i posted months ago on here but got laughed at. Can’t be any f**king worse than what we see nowadays that’s for sure.

Robbo was crap. One or two decent runs and a good assist, yeah. Also got caught out of position, lost the ball cheaply and constantly played safe 5 yard balls.

Gets praise for starting sh*t with opposition players but that doesn’t wash with me. He was sh*te  for large parts tonight.

Won’t work H, you’ll end up with two square circles inside two triangles, one is better at defending that’s Joe, but you lose Trent’s sortie’s up the right, Trent in midfield you lose probably Harvey cos three into two don’t go when you factor in Mo too, also we’d become imbalanced and easier to overcome, especially in midfield,
      there is no easy answer but we need to be patient, it is a shitshow right now you are 100% correct, but it would be worse putting Trent forward & Joe sideways, I think we’ll struggle most of the season trying to attune to the new system, this farcical World Cup can’t happen fast enough for my liking, I think we need this more than anything since Oct 2015,

We are in transition, and it’s just the beginning, faces we see regardless will be fazed out, Milner, Henderson, Ox, Thiago, Fabinho, Firmino, etc will go within the next 1-3 season, the REAL issues are filling those positions with high end quality individuals that would make Guardiola’s eyes water, and see  J W Henry on suicide watch !!
      Liverjack
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #818: Oct 30, 2022 09:01:14 am
      Not buying this fatigued nonsense. They're underperforming end of story. Not injuries either. Diaz and Jota are big misses but there's too many big players not doing it.

The desire of Leeds and Forest was much greater than ours. Both deserved their victories

Wholeheartedly agree with this as on paper we had a really strong starting 11 out there last night so I’d last like to add poor decision making on the pitch into the mix too and how easy it is for teams to waltz straight past us with ease.

The amount of times Leeds got the ball in their own box and within 3/4 passes they were in a dangerous position inside our box yet whilst most of the time we struggled to find another red shirt

Can we put this down to the same old lack of respect whereas as we think all we have to do is turn up at Forest and Leeds after the Citeh performance?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #819: Oct 30, 2022 09:03:03 am
      there is a time and place, Joe Gomez has Trent going missing and then a Midfield like a cullender he was equally to blame as Ali who held his hand up but people still like a baying mob blame Joe. Virgil has been below his best all season and your mate spends his time being contrary or reacting to every post about FSG he is as far removed from being a Liverpool supporter as could possibly be. Joe is 3rd or 4th choice so no point in killing the lad when he is all we have. Leeds ran 11km more than us just an indication of how spent we are or how lacking in effort we are. have you become a snowflake now ? defending peoples rights to be a tw*t

I was astounded when I read Leeds had ran 11km more than you lot which in its self tells its own story, even more so coz it was at Anfield.  :o

Your right! Your not so much best friend does spend most of his time defending FSG which I’m glad I’m not a supporter as I’d likely get more involved writing back. Problem is I’d write a essay and he’d come back with a encyclopaedia of Q&A  :lmao:

I don’t have all day to answer nor would I want to.  Each to their own Walt. We all have opinions to share, it’s up to us as individuals if we want to read them or choose the ignore button.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #820: Oct 30, 2022 09:06:37 am
      Gut feeling is its beyond competition for a place.  Think he's done.  He's always been one of those players who has missed the odd few games here and there with muscle issues even early on.  Four years of high intensity Klopp Liverpool and I doubt he's got it left in him now.

I'm always happy to be proved wrong but I think that next summer is our last chance of getting a semi decent fee for him and using it to resupply. 

Agree with your comments about Gomez too.  I have highlighted it before.  Not even sure Nat Phillips would have blindly played that backpass.

You might be right but I’m hoping he’s just exhausted. Neither Fabinho and Trent have any competition for their places, they both play every game nearly, it’s no wonder this they both look washed.

The World Cup can’t come quick enough. I think a lot of our lads need a breather. Thiago and Arthur the only CMs signed since 2019.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #821: Oct 30, 2022 09:10:37 am
      He’s not sh*te. Proved dozens of times just how good he is. You’re laughing because people go after his critics whenever he performs but it’s exactly the same when he has a shocker and his critics come back.

He’s in poor form and at the moment I don’t think he’s suited to play at CB. He looks much more comfortable at full back nowadays.

But any CB in the world would struggle playing behind that midfield at the moment though. Even Virgil has looked finished at times to me this season.

He’s not sh*te but in poor form! So basically he’s playing sh*te at the moment then?
      Simple truth is he’s had more bad games for Liverpool than good, there’s lies the problem. Needs replacing but with limited funds not possible so you just have to put up with him.  He reminds me so much of Fred.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #822: Oct 30, 2022 09:10:48 am

Won’t work H, you’ll end up with two square circles inside two triangles, one is better at defending that’s Joe, but you lose Trent’s sortie’s up the right, Trent in midfield you lose probably Harvey cos three into two don’t go when you factor in Mo too, also we’d become imbalanced and easier to overcome, especially in midfield,
      there is no easy answer but we need to be patient, it is a shitshow right now you are 100% correct, but it would be worse putting Trent forward & Joe sideways, I think we’ll struggle most of the season trying to attune to the new system, this farcical World Cup can’t happen fast enough for my liking, I think we need this more than anything since Oct 2015,

We are in transition, and it’s just the beginning, faces we see regardless will be fazed out, Milner, Henderson, Ox, Thiago, Fabinho, Firmino, etc will go within the next 1-3 season, the REAL issues are filling those positions with high end quality individuals that would make Guardiola’s eyes water, and see  J W Henry on suicide watch !!

Disagree with all of that mate.

One thing we can’t do is persist with Trent at right back, Gomez at centre back and then Harvey infront of them. Do we need to play any more games this season to show that just doesn’t work?

My suggestion isn’t a long term solution either. It’s strictly short term. But one things for absolute certain mate, Klopp needs to change things around.

It’s pretty simple too. Gomez doesn’t look comfortable playing at centre back at the moment….so just don’t play him there. Trent doesn’t look comfortable playing at full back at the moment…..so just don’t play him there. And finally Harvey doesn’t look comfortable playing in the centre….so don’t F***ing play him there!!!!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #823: Oct 30, 2022 09:16:42 am
      He’s not sh*te but in poor form! So basically he’s playing sh*te at the moment then?
      Simple truth is he’s had more bad games for Liverpool than good, there’s lies the problem. Needs replacing but with limited funds not possible so you just have to put up with him.  He reminds me so much of Fred.

Do you ever wonder why you get accused of being a wum on here?

Don’t be comparing Gomez who, as I said, has put in plenty of top performances for us to one of your shitty 50m flops.

‘Simple truth’? That statement just isn’t true.

Yes he’s in poor form and yes he’s playing poor right now but that’s not what you said, is it? You said he is sh*te and always has been or words to that effect. Even this post you said he’s put in more poor performances than good. Not true.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #824: Oct 30, 2022 09:28:49 am
      Do you ever wonder why you get accused of being a wum on here?

Don’t be comparing Gomez who, as I said, has put in plenty of top performances for us to one of your shitty 50m flops.

‘Simple truth’? That statement just isn’t true.

Yes he’s in poor form and yes he’s playing poor right now but that’s not what you said, is it? You said he is sh*te and always has been or words to that effect. Even this post you said he’s put in more poor performances than good. Not true.

Wums  don’t last long on here H, the mods ban them pretty quickly. I’ve been here over 10 years so that should tell you something.

Having a opinion on a player doesn’t constitute being a wum. Winding you up during a match thread arguably could be which I don’t anyway. Occasionally I will get involved when we play you lot but majority know I’m no wum.

We’ve both voiced our opinions on  Gomez, we simply now move on till he plays well again then it’s back in the Gomez thread saying what a great player he was!! For 90 mins!! followed by another 10 games of playing poor or out of form as you choose to call it.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #825: Oct 30, 2022 09:35:30 am
      Disagree with all of that mate.

One thing we can’t do is persist with Trent at right back, Gomez at centre back and then Harvey infront of them. Do we need to play any more games this season to show that just doesn’t work?

My suggestion isn’t a long term solution either. It’s strictly short term. But one things for absolute certain mate, Klopp needs to change things around.

It’s pretty simple too. Gomez doesn’t look comfortable playing at centre back at the moment….so just don’t play him there. Trent doesn’t look comfortable playing at full back at the moment…..so just don’t play him there. And finally Harvey doesn’t look comfortable playing in the centre….so don’t f**king play him there!!!!

Looks like we’ve hit a impasse H mate, but I do agree we’ll need to find a longer term solution, I’ve always thought Trent’s at his best when he has cover, Hendo has this in the bag, but for whatever reason Jürgen leaves out his skipper, which to me is strange, Hendo is Klopp on the pitch so why leave him out, we lose our leader and talisman and the cover Trent needs to confidently go forward,

Joe is to be honest our fourth CB, Joel, Ibra and obviously Virgil in front, so maybe Jürgen is trying to fit him in, he signed that new deal so he’s obviously in Jürgen’s plans, Joe I’ll concede has too many mistakes in him to be a partner to Virgil, but then Virgil himself has hardly covered himself in glory either has he ?

Maybe when all are fit & healthy we can try a Matip / Konate pairing instead, it’s no coincidence we look leggy and well off the pace, so yeah, this WC could do us the world of good, we need it that’s for sure ?
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #826: Oct 30, 2022 09:39:05 am
      For me, as I mentioned earlier, Gomez is like Titus Bramble. All the attributes but too many mistakes in him.
      He’s 26 come the end of the season so no longer a kid.
      He’s also not very dominant in the air. How many has he scored for us?

And I’m not knee jerking after last nights result. When Gomez first arrived I thought he had bags of potential. But he’s just not reliable enough.

Doesn’t help that VVD is playing like a 55 year old veteran in a testimonial.

It also doesn’t help that our fullbacks are being skinned every game and our midfield has no legs.

But when you are under the cosh you need someone at the back to be calm and composed. We have the opposite of that (well VVD is too calm. He’s basically sleep walking in games atm).

But Gomez isn’t the reason for our poor form right now. Our fullbacks are being skinned regardless of who is playing in centre defence and our midfield can’t function.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #827: Oct 30, 2022 09:44:47 am
      Wums  don’t last long on here H, the mods ban them pretty quickly. I’ve been here over 10 years so that should tell you something.

Having a opinion on a player doesn’t constitute being a wum. Winding you up during a match thread arguably could be which I don’t anyway. Occasionally I will get involved when we play you lot but majority know I’m no wum.

We’ve both voiced our opinions on  Gomez, we simply now move on till he plays well again then it’s back in the Gomez thread saying what a great player he was!! For 90 mins!! followed by another 10 games of playing poor or out of form as you choose to call it.

I never called you one. I asked if you ever wonder why you’re quite often accused of being one.

We’ve just lost at home to relegation sh*te in what was an embarrassing performance and you’re talking about Gomez’s performance putting laughing emojis in and comparing him to Fred who is a well known flop. Not a great look is it?

You can have an opinion on a player that’s fine. But for someone who goes every week and watches him weekly, to then hear a United fan say he’s sh*te and will have one good game followed by a run of ten sh*t ones, just isn’t true.

Quick Reply