Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leeds?

Alisson Becker
      10 (16.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      30 (50.8%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      3 (5.1%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      3 (5.1%)
      Darwin Núñez
      1 (1.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (10.2%)
      James Milner
      2 (3.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: Nov 02, 2022 08:41:09 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18633 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #828: Oct 30, 2022 09:47:19 am
      He’s not sh*te but in poor form! So basically he’s playing sh*te at the moment then?
      Simple truth is he’s had more bad games for Liverpool than good, there’s lies the problem. Needs replacing but with limited funds not possible so you just have to put up with him.  He reminds me so much of Fred.

F**k off Keith ffs, Nat Phillips is f***in miles better than the Cnut, and he only just makes our bench, what of that other f***in Donkey Maguire, you’ll be tellin us next he’s as good as Joe is bad, he’s our 4th CB Joe is so we know what we get, that f***in Donkey Maguire has wallowed in his own sh*te since leaving Leicester and has never never never lived up to that farcical price tag, he’s bang average at best, and certainly no better than Gomez ??
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #829: Oct 30, 2022 09:59:07 am
      It’s a horrible situation and I can imagine Klopp is feeling horrendous.

I think Gomez is incredible but unfortunately he’s made too many mistakes this season and everything is amplified that much more because the whole team is in poor form.

I’ve been saying this whole season that ‘this could be our wake up call’ but it’s gone way past that now.

I feel utterly depressed and it’s boring not being able to watch highlights and read news all week because we keep losing. The prem is done and I think we’ll be lucky to get Europa / conference for next season.

I personally think we need to start resetting and start playing more of the youngsters more often. Might as well use this season as a full transition season and start to play players like VVD, Fabinho, Henderson, Bobby a lot less - cut their playing time by 30/40%.

The legs are obviously gone because we don’t out run teams anymore - we’ve stopped running.

Need some hunger and urgency (like Darwin last night).
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #830: Oct 30, 2022 10:02:57 am
      For me, as I mentioned earlier, Gomez is like Titus Bramble. All the attributes but too many mistakes in him.
      He’s 26 come the end of the season so no longer a kid.
      He’s also not very dominant in the air. How many has he scored for us?

And I’m not knee jerking after last nights result. When Gomez first arrived I thought he had bags of potential. But he’s just not reliable enough.

Doesn’t help that VVD is playing like a 55 year old veteran in a testimonial.

It also doesn’t help that our fullbacks are being skinned every game and our midfield has no legs.

But when you are under the cosh you need someone at the back to be calm and composed. We have the opposite of that (well VVD is too calm. He’s basically sleep walking in games atm).

But Gomez isn’t the reason for our poor form right now. Our fullbacks are being skinned regardless of who is playing in centre defence and our midfield can’t function.
      Gomez is yet to score a goal in his entire career. I was a big fan of his up until earlier this season. He still has some good attributes but the amount of mistakes he is making is ridiculous and I’ve lost faith in him being able to be a starter.

He was given MOTM against Everton, and he did have some good moments in that game, but I remember at least one horrific mistake in his own box. He’s just not reliable unfortunately. I thought he played quite well at times last night after the 30 minute mark, but he makes far too many mistakes. I do feel sorry for him that he has a lazy Trent and casual VVD next to him as well as a poor midfield in front of him. We need Konate and Matip back though; they’re on a different level.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #831: Oct 30, 2022 10:03:36 am
      For me, as I mentioned earlier, Gomez is like Titus Bramble. All the attributes but too many mistakes in him.
      He’s 26 come the end of the season so no longer a kid.
      He’s also not very dominant in the air. How many has he scored for us?

And I’m not knee jerking after last nights result. When Gomez first arrived I thought he had bags of potential. But he’s just not reliable enough.

Gomez was excellent against the best team in the league and kept a clean sheet at CB only a couple of weeks back.

Not saying he hasn't made mistakes, but put a better structure around him and he will perform better.

Didn't help last night that the midfield was almost non existent for chunks of the game.

And maybe if Konate comes back to CB, Joe could move to FB, think he's done OK there when called on.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #832: Oct 30, 2022 10:04:11 am
      I never called you one. I asked if you ever wonder why you’re quite often accused of being one.

We’ve just lost at home to relegation sh*te in what was an embarrassing performance and you’re talking about Gomez’s performance putting laughing emojis in and comparing him to Fred who is a well known flop. Not a great look is it?

You can have an opinion on a player that’s fine. But for someone who goes every week and watches him weekly, to then hear a United fan say he’s sh*te and will have one good game followed by a run of ten sh*t ones, just isn’t true.

Very clever H  :D Ok I’ll go with that one, you never actually called me a wum. New members have called me one but I take that with a pinch of salt anyway. I’m a emoji guy in most of my post anyway as it’s just part of my personality ( apologies if you read it the wrong way )

Gomez came up from members and as like any thread can diverse slightly because of it. If it helps I think Gomez better than Fred but not exactly a compliment is it. 

Uncle Bob just post similar post to me ( could he be a wum? ) as do many Liverpool fans on Gomez. Truth is he just doesn’t make your top 11 and is a bench warmer for me.

Try and not think outside the box just coz I’m a Manc and think differently, I’ve always been transparent on who I am and never hid behind a username or a being a United supporter. My views have always been genuine.

Regards…

Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #833: Oct 30, 2022 10:09:17 am
      We miss Diaz. Despite him not having the best numbers, we just play better when he’s in the team. We miss his speed, his work rate, his dribbling ability, his ball protection, his width.

I think he helped us to have the season we had last season. He brings so much to the team but now we’re stuck playing a diamond and we no have legs in the side.

Jota was really helping us out as well but he’s having some bad luck with injuries.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #834: Oct 30, 2022 10:10:11 am

F**k off Keith ffs, Nat Phillips is f***in miles better than the Cnut, and he only just makes our bench, what of that other f***in Donkey Maguire, you’ll be tellin us next he’s as good as Joe is bad, he’s our 4th CB Joe is so we know what we get, that f***in Donkey Maguire has wallowed in his own sh*te since leaving Leicester and has never never never lived up to that farcical price tag, he’s bang average at best, and certainly no better than Gomez ??

What’s Maguire got to do with this thread? Who mentioned him? You’ve hit the nail on the head ( 4th choice) which proves he’s not up for the job. No one’s fault it’s just circumstances due to injuries you Red kunt.

Who’s saying Maguire better than Gomez?  Get back to bed and get out other side.  :lmao:
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #835: Oct 30, 2022 10:10:32 am
      It’s a horrible situation and I can imagine Klopp is feeling horrendous.

I think Gomez is incredible but unfortunately he’s made too many mistakes this season and everything is amplified that much more because the whole team is in poor form.

I’ve been saying this whole season that ‘this could be our wake up call’ but it’s gone way past that now.

I feel utterly depressed and it’s boring not being able to watch highlights and read news all week because we keep losing. The prem is done and I think we’ll be lucky to get Europa / conference for next season.

I personally think we need to start resetting and start playing more of the youngsters more often. Might as well use this season as a full transition season and start to play players like VVD, Fabinho, Henderson, Bobby a lot less - cut their playing time by 30/40%.

The legs are obviously gone because we don’t out run teams anymore - we’ve stopped running.

Need some hunger and urgency (like Darwin last night).
      There's not being able to run, and there's choosing not to run. The effort put in against City proves to me they can run, but are too often choosing not to.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #836: Oct 30, 2022 10:11:30 am
      We miss Diaz. Despite him not having the best numbers, we just play better when he’s in the team. We miss his speed, his work rate, his dribbling ability, his ball protection, his width.

I think he helped us to have the season we had last season. He brings so much to the team but now we’re stuck playing a diamond and we no have legs in the side.

Jota was really helping us out as well but he’s having some bad luck with injuries.

Personally miss Mane more than any current injured players :)

Agree though, Jota is a big miss, Diaz too.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #837: Oct 30, 2022 10:13:49 am
      Very clever H  :D Ok I’ll go with that one, you never actually called me a wum. New members have called me one but I take that with a pinch of salt anyway. I’m a emoji guy in most of my post anyway as it’s just part of my personality ( apologies if you read it the wrong way )

Gomez came up from members and as like any thread can diverse slightly because of it. If it helps I think Gomez better than Fred but not exactly a compliment is it. 

Uncle Bob just post similar post to me ( could he be a wum? ) as do many Liverpool fans on Gomez. Truth is he just doesn’t make your top 11 and is a bench warmer for me.

Try and not think outside the box just coz I’m a Manc and think differently, I’ve always been transparent on who I am and never hid behind a username or a being a United supporter. My views have always been genuine.

Regards…

I’ve been on here a similar amount of time to you Keith, I’ve got no problem with you and I think you’re a good poster.

If I was on a United forum after they’d just lost at home to Leeds in their worst performance of the season (in an already terrible one), I wouldn’t go in the match thread and put laughing emojis over Martinez’s performance and repeatedly say he’s sh*te, just for a season ticket holder to say to me that no he’s actually put in lots of decent performances he’s just going through a rough patch, and me to sarcastically say ok he will put in one good performance followed by a run of ten sh*t ones but that’s just ‘poor form’, clearly taking the piss, then I’d expect a few bites.
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #838: Oct 30, 2022 10:17:26 am
      Personally miss Mane more than any current injured players :)

Agree though, Jota is a big miss, Diaz too.
      Mane was a warrior. So versatile as well.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #839: Oct 30, 2022 10:18:45 am
      Gomez was excellent against the best team in the league and kept a clean sheet at CB only a couple of weeks back.

Not saying he hasn't made mistakes, but put a better structure around him and he will perform better.

Didn't help last night that the midfield was almost non existent for chunks of the game.

And maybe if Konate comes back to CB, Joe could move to FB, think he's done OK there when called on.

I agree that with a better team around him his game would improve.
      But a lot of his mistakes are because of poor judgement.
      And he has done OK at full back but we need better than OK.

Also I didn’t know until a poster mentioned above that he has never scored a goal. I don’t think he’s dominant enough in the air either.

I don’t think he’s terrible but if he was on the opposition team you would target him for his weaknesses.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #840: Oct 30, 2022 10:20:57 am
      I know Jürgen is playing this diamond in the middle (Fab, Thiago, Harvey and Bobby at the top) because of the absentees - no Mane, Diaz or Jota means no left sided mids of forwards (Thiago was more central than left) while we have Trent, Harvey and Mo attacking on the right.  Clearly its an unbalanced formation and Robbo did well I thought despite being so isolated on the left.  Thiago, Bobby or Nunez having to go over there meant gaps in the middle, and too much for Fab to do.  He was on a hiding to nothing.  However, all the threat to us was on our overloaded right flank!  Looked like Mo wasn't pressing much, and Harvey was being bypassed so its all on Trent and Joe to defend without cover.  Add to that the ease with which we gave the bloody ball away when attacking, and nobody is where they should be in order to defend the quick pass-and-run counters Leeds kept hitting us with.  We were constantly reacting, never quite set when they got the ball into our half.

Its alright saying this player is 'finished' or 'out of form' or whatever, but look how many times they were arguing and trying to sort each other out on the pitch.  They know the system isn't working and the CM and defence clearly feel they are isolated and having far too much to do due to others going missing from their positions (because they had to, basically), which means they're out of position when we defend.  That feeling will be familiar to anyone who's played the game - it leads to frustration, anger at your team mates (players will blame anyone but themselves) and a loss of confidence and concentration in what you're doing.  It also leads to players trying too hard to make things happen on their own.  Thus we look terrible when on the back foot.
      Then the players get slaughtered individually by fans and media and lose more confidence. 

Not bringing in a quick central midfielder who can control tempo and keep possession (Gini style) is one key to what's wrong.  Then there's the lack of intensity in the middle (Hendo, Thiago and Fab aging and flagging after hard seasons, injuries etc, maybe).  Losing Mane to Bayern and the other left sided attackers to injury is another, in my opinion.

Jürgen looks like a man haunted by his rotten luck.  He's going to have to lift his mood somehow, because it's infectious.

YNWA

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #841: Oct 30, 2022 10:21:57 am
      I’ve been on here a similar amount of time to you Keith, I’ve got no problem with you and I think you’re a good poster.

If I was on a United forum after they’d just lost at home to Leeds in their worst performance of the season (in an already terrible one), I wouldn’t go in the match thread and put laughing emojis over Martinez’s performance and repeatedly say he’s sh*te, just for a season ticket holder to say to me that no he’s actually put in lots of decent performances he’s just going through a rough patch, and me to sarcastically say ok he will put in one good performance followed by a run of ten sh*t ones but that’s just ‘poor form’, clearly taking the piss, then I’d expect a few bites.

Thank you H appreciated.

The comments were made after the match not during it. I’ve seen how toxic match threads get when things not going well with fellow fans ranting expletives at each other so know only to well to avoid.  ;D

I fully understand how you can view my comments the way you did given it was a frustrating afternoon so tempers/ moods can and do change during the moment. However, hopefully I’ve explained myself enough to prove there’s no malice in my postings. It’s just a opinion which obviously doesn’t mean I’m right.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #842: Oct 30, 2022 10:23:16 am

Also I didn’t know until a poster mentioned above that he has never scored a goal. I don’t think he’s dominant enough in the air either.

I don’t think he’s terrible but if he was on the opposition team you would target him for his weaknesses.

Can't argue with that, he's not the threat VVD and Konate are from set pieces.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #843: Oct 30, 2022 10:26:18 am

Do you think he makes your top 11 or just a bench player or even may prefer to sell him and try for a replacement? I know funds are tight but he does lack consistency doesn’t he.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #844: Oct 30, 2022 10:30:52 am
      Do you think he makes your top 11 or just a bench player or even may prefer to sell him and try for a replacement? I know funds are tight but he does lack consistency doesn’t he.

When everyone is fit and on form he would be 4th choice, in my opinion anyway.
      I think I’d rather we replaced matip (considering his age and injury niggles) to be a starter but if Gomez wanted more game time (like minamino) then I wouldn’t mind looking for a younger 4th choice option.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #845: Oct 30, 2022 11:27:42 am
      Awful performance against Leeds last night, shambolic defending once again. Teams cannot get away with these mistakes in the Premier League. Defensive errors need to be eradicated before any real progress is made.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #846: Oct 30, 2022 11:39:32 am
      Thought we looked like a seniors team playing a bunch of young superstars at times.
      We have no pace anymore - even though some of our players are rapid.
      we look lost most of the time.

Top 10 fight on our hands

Maybe no champions league will force fsg into action
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #847: Oct 30, 2022 11:42:54 am

he won most of his ariel battles yesterday and his distribution was spot on long balls as good as any Virgil could pass.
      As a CB when you look to your right and nobody is there and the midifeld is like a cullender you are exposed all the time Robbo is much better getting back than Trent is that is why opposition attack in the space where Trent would be defending but he is upfield and nobody from Midfield fills in.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #848: Oct 30, 2022 11:48:12 am
      Defensive errors are obviously happening, and much too often.  One big problem is isolated forwards giving up possession in attack so easily so we're out of position and not in position to press in groups and regain possession quickly.  Another is passive defending when they're in our last third, not taking responsibility and getting tight to block crosses, shots and passes.  That second goal had 6 LFC players in some kind of position to stop either the cross, the layoff or the shot and none did.  Too many cooks..?   

But I think to some extent, they're the result of the system we're forced to play, given the limited resources available, with players being isolated and not in the right areas to support each other when they always used to be.  They look like they're making it up individually as they go along, whereas before they instinctively knew their jobs and where they're mates would be.  Lack of balance in the team shape, lack of mobility and cover from midfield. Sort that out and there'll be a huge improvement in confidence and results.  Just my take on it.

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #849: Oct 30, 2022 11:50:55 am
      he won most of his ariel battles yesterday and his distribution was spot on long balls as good as any Virgil could pass.
      As a CB when you look to your right and nobody is there and the midifeld is like a cullender you are exposed all the time Robbo is much better getting back than Trent is that is why opposition attack in the space where Trent would be defending but he is upfield and nobody from Midfield fills in.

Spot on, mate.  Look where Joe was when he made the fateful backpass.  Trent's position.  Then he passes it blind, Ali slips and Virgil is slow to react.  Team errors, not all on Joe. 
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #850: Oct 30, 2022 12:12:57 pm

I think if you watched the game back you’d be surprised mate. I don’t remember many aerial duals because Leeds kept the ball on the ground but I honestly lost count how many times Gomez conceded possession yesterday and their first goal was 100% his fault & he didn’t cover himself in glory for their second either.

He had a shocker yesterday and it’s probably the worst I’ve ever seen him play for us. I’d have taken him off at half time personally because I think his head went after the first goal.

There were at least two times where he played the ball square to VVD and it very nearly got intercepted & Leeds would have been in too. Few gasps from the crowd.

One to forget for Joe last night but as Trent, Virgil and Fabinho are all in sh*te form themselves and an Elliott playing out of position on that right side of midfield then it’s not too surprising to be honest.

Quick Reply