Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leeds?

Alisson Becker
      10 (16.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      30 (50.8%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      3 (5.1%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      3 (5.1%)
      Darwin Núñez
      1 (1.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (10.2%)
      James Milner
      2 (3.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: Nov 02, 2022 08:41:09 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18629 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #851: Oct 30, 2022 12:14:32 pm
      Fair play to Leeds by the way. Refreshing to see a team turn up and have a proper go at us instead of sh*te like Everton who park the bus and waste time etc. They deserved their win as frustrating as it was for us.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #852: Oct 30, 2022 12:21:18 pm
      Fair play to Leeds by the way. Refreshing to see a team turn up and have a proper go at us instead of sh*te like Everton who park the bus and waste time etc. They deserved their win as frustrating as it was for us.

They 100% deserved their win mate - there is no doubt about it
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #853: Oct 30, 2022 12:26:24 pm
      They 100% deserved their win mate - there is no doubt about it

100%. No excuses and no issues with the result. Very disappointing but Leeds deserved it.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #854: Oct 30, 2022 12:42:35 pm

We need to get some points this season to get europa

Let’s hope more teams play like Everton and not Leeds
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #855: Oct 30, 2022 12:44:42 pm
      Spot on, mate.  Look where Joe was when he made the fateful backpass.  Trent's position.  Then he passes it blind, Ali slips and Virgil is slow to react.  Team errors, not all on Joe.

Regardless where TAA was, once you are in that position you deal with it. You can either kick it into touch, Lump it up field or make a pass to a team mate that’s available:
      What you don’t do is blindly pass the ball across your box hoping the keeper is where you think he might be.

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #856: Oct 30, 2022 12:56:23 pm
      Regardless where TAA was, once you are in that position you deal with it. You can either kick it into touch, Lump it up field or make a pass to a team mate that’s available:
      What you don’t do is blindly pass the ball across your box hoping the keeper is where you think he might be.
      I completely agree Uncle Bob. His was the first mistake. What I was meaning was that Ali and Virg added to the problem. First of many cock ups on the night. I don’t think Joe’s as bad as some make out but I Can’t wait to see Matip or Konate back!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #857: Oct 30, 2022 12:58:01 pm

I know but you made the right argument!!

He just sounded like a spoilt biitch

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #858: Oct 30, 2022 01:25:50 pm
      As hard as it is to post this, if this team was a horse it would be shot. As pointed out by many other posters here already, this team has reached the end of their cycle. Barring 5 or 6 players this is over. Our exposed defence and our lack of potency in attack is all linked to the major issue, the midfield unit. It is aged, it is tired, it is unreliable and it is too predictable.

Thiago, Keita and Ox constantly injured. Henderson at the end of his time. Milner past his time. Fabinho waning.

Is anyone seriously telling me that Klopp didn't ask for reinforcements in the Summer? Come on, for fucks sake. What Klopp has achieved with this group of players has been nothing short of miraculous but the well is dry now. He has wringed every last ounce of energy out of this Squad, it is now depleted.

If we are being honest this Squad needs at least five top class players to get back to where it was. FSG will not do this, they have clung onto the hope that Klopp can keep pulling those rabbits out of the hat, those rabbits are gone now and they now face the shocking reality of truth. It is there for us all to see, FSG see it, they are not stupid. 6 plus years of the most high intensity football ever witnessed have taken their toll, it is inevitable.

The piston rings are worn, the shell bearings have collapsed, the valve stem oil seals are letting by and the compressor vanes are compromised. This engine is failing to supply enough compression to power the team, the press and the power. It needs a rebuild.

I am pretty sure you are all seeing what i am seeing. There is nothing there anymore, no energy, no fight, no passion, no ideas, no unity. FSG now have 2 options, the first option is they spend accordingly to remedy the situation and allow the manager who has proven himself time and time again to put us back at the top. The second option is that they get rid of Klopp and put out to the media that the time had come for change. I pray it is not the latter.

The next six months will determine who FSG really are and why they are really here. There will be no hiding place for them, this will put an end to all the speculation and opinion of us all who have been debating this very subject for a long long time.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #859: Oct 30, 2022 01:35:47 pm
      Earlier this week I watched the Ajax game and after the game I wanted to write my opinion in the match day thread, but felt like it would be a bit on the negative side considering we had just won 3-0 away from home and qualified for the next round of the CL. With that said, my opinion was negative because I feel like all the bad stuff I saw in that game just happened again yesterday and once again, the only difference between a win/draw and a loss was not the level at which we performed, but the level at which the opposition performed and the opportunism of the team in front of us.

On Wednesday we could've been 1-0 down after, what, 5 minutes? Can someone look at that game and honestly think/say that we had that happened we would've gone on to win the game 2-1 or 3-1? I'm not going to do yet another long post where everything is analyzed. I'll just go over one point I think is at the heart of our misery.

Possession. Yesterday was one of the most crying example of our possession problems. I felt like I was watching a pingpong match so much the ball kept going from our legs to theirs and vice versa. We can't keep possession and control the tempo of games even if our lives depended on it. There is two simple facts I doubt anybody can deny. The first is that when you have the ball, even when you are as sh*t defensively as we have been all season, you can't concede. The second is we, LFC, have the quality of forwards required to score goals and the first step towards servicing those guys well enough for them to score is to have the ball for more than 5 seconds at a time. Yes we need creativity and all that good stuff, but can we start with having the ball? Once again, yesterday, Thiago was the only player in that midfield that made sense offensively and defensively. He can keep hold of the ball for more than 2 seconds. The simple reason for that is that he is our only midfielder, at the moment, who knows how to get past the first line of press presented to him by the opposition. Elliott is technical and tricky, but gets dispossessed more often than not and the other midfielder, Fabinho, has turned into a liability more than anything with and without the ball. I'm not even sure if there is a benefit in playing Fabinho in this current form. Thiago has more tackles than him last night, attempted and won more ground duels than him and the same number of clearances...he plays LCM. By the way, if anybody is interested in comparing the number of times our midfielders lose the ball, don't forget to look at the their respective number of touches they have on the ball during the game, the attempted number of passes, players taken on, etc. What defined Fabinho those past years was that when he had the ball you knew we were not going to lose it no matter what, defensive vision for day (he is everywhere all the same time), excellence in the air and finally, the ability to tackle very effectively without fouling. None of that is there this season, none of it. I don't think I am exaggerating when I say that playing Bajcetic instead for a spell of games would be better for both players and the team.

All in all. Yes we can sit here and say Nunez should've finished this or that and that Salah should've had a hat trick, but the truth is the only two departments we have no problems in at the moment is the forwards dept and the goalkeeping dept. Everything else is an absolute mess. Right now, we start games and within 20 minutes we are down 1-0 or 2-0 and the message to our forwards is ''hey, we need you to score a minimum of 2 or 3 for us to win this game, but we also need you to do this without us having the ball and next to no service. Go on and get yourself a hattrick for the team, mate!''

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #860: Oct 30, 2022 01:51:49 pm
      I completely agree Uncle Bob. His was the first mistake. What I was meaning was that Ali and Virg added to the problem. First of many cock ups on the night. I don’t think Joe’s as bad as some make out but I Can’t wait to see Matip or Konate back!

Yeah same. Gomez should never have been put in that position so that’s down to Klopp to analyse that and see who should have been where.
      We are in a run of form right now where our strikers are missing chances they shouldn’t be, our Midfield is struggling to stamp any authority and every mistake our defence makes seems to lead to a goal.

I think Gomez has a bit of the Karius about him. For 80% of the time he is fine but when he makes a mistake it’s normally costly and blooper video worthy.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #861: Oct 30, 2022 01:56:07 pm
      Earlier this week I watched the Ajax game and after the game I wanted to write my opinion in the match day thread, but felt like it would be a bit on the negative side considering we had just won 3-0 away from home and qualified for the next round of the CL. With that said, my opinion was negative because I feel like all the bad stuff I saw in that game just happened again yesterday and once again, the only difference between a win/draw and a loss was not the level at which we performed, but the level at which the opposition performed and the opportunism of the team in front of us.

On Wednesday we could've been 1-0 down after, what, 5 minutes? Can someone look at that game and honestly think/say that we had that happened we would've gone on to win the game 2-1 or 3-1? I'm not going to do yet another long post where everything is analyzed. I'll just go over one point I think is at the heart of our misery.

Possession. Yesterday was one of the most crying example of our possession problems. I felt like I was watching a pingpong match so much the ball kept going from our legs to theirs and vice versa. We can't keep possession and control the tempo of games even if our lives depended on it. There is two simple facts I doubt anybody can deny. The first is that when you have the ball, even when you are as sh*t defensively as we have been all season, you can't concede. The second is we, LFC, have the quality of forwards required to score goals and the first step towards servicing those guys well enough for them to score is to have the ball for more than 5 seconds at a time. Yes we need creativity and all that good stuff, but can we start with having the ball? Once again, yesterday, Thiago was the only player in that midfield that made sense offensively and defensively. He can keep hold of the ball for more than 2 seconds. The simple reason for that is that he is our only midfielder, at the moment, who knows how to get past the first line of press presented to him by the opposition. Elliott is technical and tricky, but gets dispossessed more often than not and the other midfielder, Fabinho, has turned into a liability more than anything with and without the ball. I'm not even sure if there is a benefit in playing Fabinho in this current form. Thiago has more tackles than him last night, attempted and won more ground duels than him and the same number of clearances...he plays LCM. By the way, if anybody is interested in comparing the number of times our midfielders lose the ball, don't forget to look at the their respective number of touches they have on the ball during the game, the attempted number of passes, players taken on, etc. What defined Fabinho those past years was that when he had the ball you knew we were not going to lose it no matter what, defensive vision for day (he is everywhere all the same time), excellence in the air and finally, the ability to tackle very effectively without fouling. None of that is there this season, none of it. I don't think I am exaggerating when I say that playing Bajcetic instead for a spell of games would be better for both players and the team.

All in all. Yes we can sit here and say Nunez should've finished this or that and that Salah should've had a hat trick, but the truth is the only two departments we have no problems in at the moment is the forwards dept and the goalkeeping dept. Everything else is an absolute mess. Right now, we start games and within 20 minutes we are down 1-0 or 2-0 and the message to our forwards is ''hey, we need you to score a minimum of 2 or 3 for us to win this game, but we also need you to do this without us having the ball and next to no service. Go on and get yourself a hattrick for the team, mate!''

This is true. You only have to look back at the live match thread and see how people are posting to realise that we are normally playing pretty poorly.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #862: Oct 30, 2022 01:57:28 pm
      Bloody hell who the hell are you? You've got a lot of anger when it's a discussion.

Someone who also came in the from the game and saw you on your period sweetcheeks!!
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #863: Oct 30, 2022 04:08:45 pm
      Arsenal thrashed Forest 5-0 earlier, says it all about our season so far
      Hopeinmyheart
      • Banned

• 64 posts |
      Reply #864: Oct 30, 2022 04:15:42 pm
      Someone who also came in the from the game and saw you on your period sweetcheeks!!

Ohhhh you're one of those look at me and my ticket guys. Well I appreciate your views especially being someone that attends games. I've been to a fair few games in my time but coming over from Leeds takes more cash than a local and last couple years things have been tighter than what we are accustomed to in my house. You can definitely speak a bit nicer tho we're all reds at the end of the day. So you saw the sh*t show first hand then. What was your observation of the problems we had yesterday? Anyone stand out as being extra poor to the rest?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #865: Oct 30, 2022 05:11:47 pm
      A repeat of a lot of our games this season, defensive errors, all of our own making, and our continued inability to find the back of the net from an abundance of chances.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #866: Oct 30, 2022 05:16:44 pm
      Arsenal thrashed Forest 5-0 earlier, says it all about our season so far
      I said last week their win against us is probably their last win of the season...Going down.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #867: Oct 30, 2022 07:35:33 pm
      Ok, let's get into it.

This game was reminiscent of old the old Rodgers Era or early Klopp Era where we had 0 control over the outcome of the game but always had a punching chance of winning it due to our attack. If Darwin was more clinical we could have escaped with all three points maybe, however, it would have papered over the cracks.

Simply put, we were awful in the midfield from the start, not one midfielder was able to confidently deal with the pressure of the Leeds press and even when the pressure was turned down a notch we were negative and complacent in our play. This led to a lack of confidence within the team, we were exposed defensively on numerous occasions because of how we let Leeds play their game of fast-paced back and forth football.

Against a team like Leeds where their aim is to press press press you need to be controlling the game and slowing it down, being patient and composed, but we showed none of that. Gomez was a shambles, yes he won a couple of aerial duels and played a couple of passes to Trent which reached his feet, but he showed he cannot be trusted at CB anymore. VVD was also to blame for their second goal, looked lazy and flat-footed and not for the first time this season, unfortunately.

I have been one of Elliot's biggest fans this season but he had a poor showing last night, he like Thiago and Fab could not be consistent in his passes and was very wasteful on the ball. Darwin & Salah looked up for it and both could have had 2 goals each, at least, we need them to be better but they were the least of our problems yesterday. Robbo was a constant threat down the left and brought a lot of much needed energy to our game.

Unfortunately, we need to rely on other teams dropping points for us to be comfortably back in the top four race IMO, we are definitely not out of it but there are enough in the mix that we do need to start capitalising when other potential top four teams drop points and ASAP.

Number 20 might not be coming but don't rule out number 7!

YNWA
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #868: Oct 30, 2022 10:11:38 pm
      As hard as it is to post this, if this team was a horse it would be shot. As pointed out by many other posters here already, this team has reached the end of their cycle. Barring 5 or 6 players this is over.

Grat post mate.  I do think we've got more than 5 or 6 "keepers" in the playing staff, but we definitely need a major overhaul. 

In my opinion, we need to keep Mo, Matip, and VVD as players who will help bridge the gap as we transition to a new core group.  I also think Ali, TAA, Konate, Robbo, Kostas, Diaz, Jota, Darwin, Harvey, and Carvalho are all players who will stay both short and long term.  So, that's about 10 players we can keep and build around plus another 3 who are veterans and will help make the transition easier. 

We need to get shot of a lot of deadwood....
      Phillips - not good enough
      Gomez - not good enough
      Milner - past it
      Jones - not good enough
      Ox - not good enough
      Keita - not good enough

Firmino and Thiago are players I'd try to keep on foe another 1-2 years to help bridge the gap, but we clearly need about 5 top quality fresh new faces.  1 CB, 1 CDM, 2 CM, 1 FW. 

Considering our average net spend over the last 10 years is around 20M annually and the club is worth over 10x what the owners paid for it, I don't think it's too much to ask for a 300M spen this next 12 months.  They've more than saved/accrued that much on the side since they acquired us. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #869: Oct 30, 2022 10:13:13 pm
      Only seen snippets of the game as we were at family party for my brother in law leaving to live in Mexico.

Nephew had the game on so sent the goals.

Disappointed but not surprised as I've said before I expect this all season long.
      Hopeinmyheart
      • Banned

• 64 posts |
      Reply #870: Oct 31, 2022 04:59:58 am
      Grat post mate.  I do think we've got more than 5 or 6 "keepers" in the playing staff, but we definitely need a major overhaul. 

In my opinion, we need to keep Mo, Matip, and VVD as players who will help bridge the gap as we transition to a new core group.  I also think Ali, TAA, Konate, Robbo, Kostas, Diaz, Jota, Darwin, Harvey, and Carvalho are all players who will stay both short and long term.  So, that's about 10 players we can keep and build around plus another 3 who are veterans and will help make the transition easier. 

We need to get shot of a lot of deadwood....
      Phillips - not good enough
      Gomez - not good enough
      Milner - past it
      Jones - not good enough
      Ox - not good enough
      Keita - not good enough

Firmino and Thiago are players I'd try to keep on foe another 1-2 years to help bridge the gap, but we clearly need about 5 top quality fresh new faces.  1 CB, 1 CDM, 2 CM, 1 FW. 

Considering our average net spend over the last 10 years is around 20M annually and the club is worth over 10x what the owners paid for it, I don't think it's too much to ask for a 300M spen this next 12 months.  They've more than saved/accrued that much on the side since they acquired us.

;D 300m. They've spent less than half of that in 5 years. They won't fund the type of revamp we need.

I predict we'll get one cm of note then three Elliot/Carvalho players. We'll then pin our hopes on these youngsters.

I genuinely believe we're in sh*t street. It's come home to roost. I've never seen top level owners be so against investing in their team. Never seen it. Now the talk is "we're prepared should we not make top 4". Of course you F***ing are you'll just spend £10m again.

Remember these are the same people that released Hendo signing a contract extension as a deadline day signing to take away the attention from the lack of signings.

Some people love them, some are in the middle and some dislike them. I F***ing hate them. Absolutely hate them.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #871: Oct 31, 2022 09:05:06 am
      Still the same problems.

We will keep being inconsistent until we have a full squad fully fit, and yes in January a couple may move on and we do need some new blood in midfield.

harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #872: Oct 31, 2022 03:49:09 pm
      ;D 300m. They've spent less than half of that in 5 years. They won't fund the type of revamp we need.

I predict we'll get one cm of note then three Elliot/Carvalho players. We'll then pin our hopes on these youngsters.

I genuinely believe we're in sh*t street. It's come home to roost. I've never seen top level owners be so against investing in their team. Never seen it. Now the talk is "we're prepared should we not make top 4". Of course you f**king are you'll just spend £10m again.

Remember these are the same people that released Hendo signing a contract extension as a deadline day signing to take away the attention from the lack of signings.

Some people love them, some are in the middle and some dislike them. I f**king hate them. Absolutely hate them.

I get it mate, but up until now the owners and their business model have steadily helped improve us year after year.  In the last 3 or 4 seasons we've literally won every trophy on offer.  Compare that to the previous 10 years before their arrival and it's a major improvement.  So, I think it's fair to say that their model has worked up until now. 

I'm frustrated with the lack of spend, but no one could have envisioned that we'd decline this badly in such a short amount of time.  So, before I jump to on the "their the worst owners" bandwagon, I think they deserve a chance to right the wrong.  If they don't spend heavily to get us back challenging on all fronts over the next 2 windows then I'll likely find myself echoing the "I F***ing hate them" sentiment.

Quick Reply