Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      33 (49.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (3%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      4 (6%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      3 (4.5%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (9%)
      Curtis Jones
      5 (7.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.5%)
      Calvin Ramsay
      1 (1.5%)
      Darwin Núñez
      12 (17.9%)
      Fábio Carvalho
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: Nov 05, 2022 09:56:55 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Napoli: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 9730 times
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Napoli: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #253: Nov 01, 2022 10:41:52 pm
      I think we have struggled in the Premier League after we’ve played a Champions League match this season.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #254: Nov 01, 2022 10:43:55 pm
      Very good side Napoli. Well drilled and they can play too. They’ll be a game for anybody them so in that respect, I thought we did well tonight considering we gave them very little.

I still think we struggled though. There was still a lack of fluidity and at times we looked slow and just stale.

Trent got done on a few occasions down that right hand side again but in fairness that Napoli winger was rapid and had a few tricks up his sleeve. I think any right backs would have struggled against him.

We looked stronger in the middle with Konate who I gave motm.

Couldn’t work out whether Fabinho was purposely fouling their players doing all the ‘dark arts’ and breaking play up or whether he was just too slow to compete. It was another iffy performance from him.

Milner the same. We just lacked energy in the middle but it’s what we’ve been watching all season.  Thiago isn’t blessed with pace either but at least he can play, he needs a couple of runners alongside him.

Thought Curtis was better playing on the left rather than in the middle but that’s not saying too much because his performances in the middle have stunk. He did ok though.

Bobby didn’t get into the game and Mo also struggled at times but there he was with another goal, proving once again why we should never, ever drop him. Players like Mo are unique and they could have a sh*te 89minutes but still win you a game with that 1.

Darwin made a great impact. Said several times I want him on that left side rather than down the middle and tonight is an example of why. He doesn’t have great feet and he’s very clumsy but what he does have is bundles of energy with raw pace & strength. With Diaz, we no longer have that option of playing the ball in behind defences for him to run onto but we all of a sudden we have it again now with Darwin.

So to summarise. We did well not to give a very good side a sniff really but there’s still plenty of work to do before we get anywhere near back to our best.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #255: Nov 01, 2022 10:44:26 pm
      I think we have struggled in the Premier League after we’ve played a Champions League match this season.

Apart from when we beat City
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #256: Nov 01, 2022 10:51:06 pm
      When's the draw ?
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #257: Nov 01, 2022 10:52:56 pm
      Nice work tonight Reds, Napoli are no pushovers, that result should boost the lads confidence ahead of the weekends game.

They certainly looked up for it tonight so let's hope they take that forward.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #258: Nov 01, 2022 10:54:29 pm
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #259: Nov 01, 2022 10:54:52 pm
      Very good side Napoli. Well drilled and they can play too. They’ll be a game for anybody them so in that respect, I thought we did well tonight considering we gave them very little.

I still think we struggled though. There was still a lack of fluidity and at times we looked slow and just stale.

Trent got done on a few occasions down that right hand side again but in fairness that Napoli winger was rapid and had a few tricks up his sleeve. I think any right backs would have struggled against him.

We looked stronger in the middle with Konate who I gave motm.

Couldn’t work out whether Fabinho was purposely fouling their players doing all the ‘dark arts’ and breaking play up or whether he was just too slow to compete. It was another iffy performance from him.

Milner the same. We just lacked energy in the middle but it’s what we’ve been watching all season.  Thiago isn’t blessed with pace either but at least he can play, he needs a couple of runners alongside him.

Thought Curtis was better playing on the left rather than in the middle but that’s not saying too much because his performances in the middle have stunk. He did ok though.

Bobby didn’t get into the game and Mo also struggled at times but there he was with another goal, proving once again why we should never, ever drop him. Players like Mo are unique and they could have a sh*te 89minutes but still win you a game with that 1.

Darwin made a great impact. Said several times I want him on that left side rather than down the middle and tonight is an example of why. He doesn’t have great feet and he’s very clumsy but what he does have is bundles of energy with raw pace & strength. With Diaz, we no longer have that option of playing the ball in behind defences for him to run onto but we all of a sudden we have it again now with Darwin.

So to summarise. We did well not to give a very good side a sniff really but there’s still plenty of work to do before we get anywhere near back to our best.

Always look forward to your analysis - spot on
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #260: Nov 01, 2022 10:56:28 pm

Monday 7th November.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #261: Nov 01, 2022 11:03:07 pm
      A good result against a decent side but pretty much agree with Hamannsthemans assessment above.

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #262: Nov 01, 2022 11:20:01 pm
      Positives:

-Having Konate back is great. Lad is at least a notch or two above Gomez. Much less prone to a mistake or dangerous panic tackle. VVD is usually the calming figure in that backline, but since the season started it feels like he's all alone with Robertson trying to put out fires left and right to the point where you feel he's in a panicked state as well. Konate just cancels that off. Its almost like the master can just finally relax and focus on his own job because he knows the guy next to him splits the bill 50/50 not 75/25% with him.

- Nunez scores yet another one. Like we said countless times, he needs goals no matter how ugly they can be. All of that plays into him building his confidence which will in turn make everything else smoother in terms of improving. It makes a world of difference to try and improve when you know you're capable rather than first try to prove to yourself you are capable then go and actually do it.

- The frontline in general. Very dangerous for 3 guys with next to no service given to them during the entire 90%. What some will describe as Bobby or Mo ''trying too hard'' or ''losing the ball too much'' is the direct byproduct of the inexistent midfield behind them (more on that in the negatives)

- Set piece. Good to know we can rely on that to get on the scoresheet considering how bad we are from open play. Nunez, Konate, VVD all in the box for a corner is a big threat for any team in the world on any given day regardless of our form.

- Bajcetic and Ramsay. I know they both played like 8 minutes, but they looked smooth on the ball, full of energy and very combative. Honestly, I would have no problem seeing the former get bigger chunks of our games if not start some. If you're wondering who sits, its Fabinho I'm talking about.

- Alisson. That's it. That's the positive point, we have Alisson as our goalkeeper.

Negatives:

- The midfield is next to non existent. We cannot keep hold of the ball if our lives depended on it and that's even with Thiago in the team. I lost count of the number of times we got pressed into a back pass followed by a press all the way down to our box with no answer other than trying a long pass to one of the front three and see if it sticks. This and the full-backs having a run down their respective flanks to deliver a cross have been our only two creative plays for more than 6 or 7 games now. As long as this is the situation, pointing fingers at the forwards is a ridiculous exercise. You can't watch this brand of football we are playing and then turn around and say forward X, Y, or Z did not score tonight. We simply do not come out of our half with the ball at our feet. All the attempts to do so lead in a direct turnover of the ball.

- I know he had the tough task of marking one of Europe's hottest new talents in Kvaratskhelia tonight, but TAA continues to be very fragile defensively. Offensively, he's still the player we know, but in his own half he's a liability and I'm not sure what is the solution to this problem.

- Fabinho. I'm not sure what to say anymore. Maybe he needs rest. Long season last year, short summer. Maybe he's knackered.

I'm probably missing a few points, but this is the gist of it. We are good in the area behind the midfield and good in the area in front of it, but we have no midfield so none of the proper connexions are made and until this is corrected, we're gonna struggle and keep on winning one losing two or winning one convincingly then be completely depleted for the next two. Midfielders needed ASAP  (midfielders with an S, but I'll settle for one in January then more in the summer).  And I hope they dont get us Laimer. Lad fits the profile of what we need but unfortunately, his injury record rivals the Keita one.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #263: Nov 02, 2022 12:08:03 am
      Nothing better than watching the game, pissed, and then guessing my MotM in the poll to find its the one most people have voted for even though I didn't have a F***ing clue
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #264: Nov 02, 2022 12:27:58 am
      So it looks like we will get either Bayern, PSG, Real or Porto….let’s hope it’s Porto

I'll take Real thanks.

DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #265: Nov 02, 2022 12:29:52 am
      Wonder what Van Dijk made of Nunez stealing his goal and almost screwing it all up :lmao: He didn't look happy and even when Nunez went to tease him after the full time whistle.

Really wish Nunez would get more game time. Opens a world of possibilities with him. You never know what it will be, missing an open goal or scoring a worldie.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #266: Nov 02, 2022 12:30:27 am

That's what Salah said..  ;)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #267: Nov 02, 2022 12:32:42 am
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #268: Nov 02, 2022 12:35:06 am

We get it, you hate Salah. Move along.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #269: Nov 02, 2022 12:46:20 am
      We get it, you hate Salah. Move along.

No sense of humour detected.  :roll:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #270: Nov 02, 2022 01:27:14 am

Erm na. F**k that sh*t.

Porto for their obligatory beating by us.

Wonder how many times we've beaten them in Europe? Must be a lot

Edit: seeing, after a search, that we've played 8, won 6 and drawn 2. Felt like it was gonna be more

Edit 2: F**k me, I even bored myself there
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #271: Nov 02, 2022 08:39:15 am

You must hate Salah too then...  ;)
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #272: Nov 02, 2022 08:54:43 am
      Didn't watch the game as was working but a great result, didn't expect the clean sheet either. Excellent win for the lads and hopefully something has changed in the mood. It feels like it.

Let's F***ing go!
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #273: Nov 02, 2022 09:20:59 am
      Positives:

-Having Konate back is great. Lad is at least a notch or two above Gomez. Much less prone to a mistake or dangerous panic tackle. VVD is usually the calming figure in that backline, but since the season started it feels like he's all alone with Robertson trying to put out fires left and right to the point where you feel he's in a panicked state as well. Konate just cancels that off. Its almost like the master can just finally relax and focus on his own job because he knows the guy next to him splits the bill 50/50 not 75/25% with him.

- Nunez scores yet another one. Like we said countless times, he needs goals no matter how ugly they can be. All of that plays into him building his confidence which will in turn make everything else smoother in terms of improving. It makes a world of difference to try and improve when you know you're capable rather than first try to prove to yourself you are capable then go and actually do it.

- The frontline in general. Very dangerous for 3 guys with next to no service given to them during the entire 90%. What some will describe as Bobby or Mo ''trying too hard'' or ''losing the ball too much'' is the direct byproduct of the inexistent midfield behind them (more on that in the negatives)

- Set piece. Good to know we can rely on that to get on the scoresheet considering how bad we are from open play. Nunez, Konate, VVD all in the box for a corner is a big threat for any team in the world on any given day regardless of our form.

- Bajcetic and Ramsay. I know they both played like 8 minutes, but they looked smooth on the ball, full of energy and very combative. Honestly, I would have no problem seeing the former get bigger chunks of our games if not start some. If you're wondering who sits, its Fabinho I'm talking about.

- Alisson. That's it. That's the positive point, we have Alisson as our goalkeeper.

Negatives:

- The midfield is next to non existent. We cannot keep hold of the ball if our lives depended on it and that's even with Thiago in the team. I lost count of the number of times we got pressed into a back pass followed by a press all the way down to our box with no answer other than trying a long pass to one of the front three and see if it sticks. This and the full-backs having a run down their respective flanks to deliver a cross have been our only two creative plays for more than 6 or 7 games now. As long as this is the situation, pointing fingers at the forwards is a ridiculous exercise. You can't watch this brand of football we are playing and then turn around and say forward X, Y, or Z did not score tonight. We simply do not come out of our half with the ball at our feet. All the attempts to do so lead in a direct turnover of the ball.

- I know he had the tough task of marking one of Europe's hottest new talents in Kvaratskhelia tonight, but TAA continues to be very fragile defensively. Offensively, he's still the player we know, but in his own half he's a liability and I'm not sure what is the solution to this problem.

- Fabinho. I'm not sure what to say anymore. Maybe he needs rest. Long season last year, short summer. Maybe he's knackered.

I'm probably missing a few points, but this is the gist of it. We are good in the area behind the midfield and good in the area in front of it, but we have no midfield so none of the proper connexions are made and until this is corrected, we're gonna struggle and keep on winning one losing two or winning one convincingly then be completely depleted for the next two. Midfielders needed ASAP  (midfielders with an S, but I'll settle for one in January then more in the summer).  And I hope they dont get us Laimer. Lad fits the profile of what we need but unfortunately, his injury record rivals the Keita one.

I'm surprised Jones doesn't get a mention in your assessment dude. I've given him pelters for a while now but last night was his best game in ages. Not everything came off but I thought he had a good game, worked his socks off, pressed well, was strong on the ball, made some things happen with his dribbling ability and close control and got himself into some dangerous positions.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #274: Nov 02, 2022 09:27:55 am
      I'm surprised Jones doesn't get a mention in your assessment dude. I've given him pelters for a while now but last night was his best game in ages. Not everything came off but I thought he had a good game, worked his socks off, pressed well, was strong on the ball, made some things happen with his dribbling ability and close control and got himself into some dangerous positions.

It was Jones best game for a long time , you could see that he was growing in confidence as the game went on
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #275: Nov 02, 2022 09:34:28 am

He did ok but it was still a 6/10 type performance. 7 at a push. Certainly nothing to get carried away with or to go out your way and talk about.

We’re used to seeing poor performances from him so when he has an ok game, a lot of people go over the top and think it’s better than it actually was. They kid themselves thinking there’s still a ‘player in there somewhere’.

What I mean is, if mane had given the performance Jones did last night, would we all be saying what a great performance it was? No. We wouldn’t. We would probably be saying he had a quiet game and was a bit off to be honest.

Harsh comparing anybody to mane but that’s the standard we’ve set and the level we should always be at.

Quick Reply