Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      33 (49.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (3%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      4 (6%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      3 (4.5%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (9%)
      Curtis Jones
      5 (7.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.5%)
      Calvin Ramsay
      1 (1.5%)
      Darwin NĂșñez
      12 (17.9%)
      FĂĄbio Carvalho
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: Nov 05, 2022 09:56:55 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Napoli: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 9727 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Napoli: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Nov 02, 2022 09:57:01 am
      Much more solid last night. Konate had a big part to play in that and I thought Virgil was excellent alongside him too.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #277: Nov 02, 2022 10:00:02 am
      First game I've missed in ages so no real opinion on the game except Its great to win and keep a clean sheet.

Already thinking about spurs and with their comeback wins of late its going to be very difficult to win there or avoid another defeat which would be unthinkable and leave us very much near the bottom. Hopefully we can find our top gears.

Great to see konate back.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #278: Nov 02, 2022 10:04:26 am
      Konate and Virgil partnership looked a Fortress.
      On such bases are seasons turned around.

Hopefully the WC break allows time to clear the injury list and get some fitness back.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #279: Nov 02, 2022 10:21:50 am
      First game I've missed in ages so no real opinion on the game except Its great to win and keep a clean sheet.

Already thinking about spurs and with their comeback wins of late its going to be very difficult to win there or avoid another defeat which would be unthinkable and leave us very much near the bottom. Hopefully we can find our top gears.

Great to see konate back.

I think it’ll be a horrible game mate - Spurs smell blood and Son / Kane will go for the throat
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #280: Nov 02, 2022 10:25:25 am
      I think it’ll be a horrible game mate - Spurs smell blood and Son / Kane will go for the throat

Son came off injured last night in the first half. Any update on him? Clutching here ... and they won without him last night.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #281: Nov 02, 2022 10:32:19 am
      Konate and Virgil partnership looked a Fortress.
      On such bases are seasons turned around.

Hopefully the WC break allows time to clear the injury list and get some fitness back.

As well as Konate being strong in defence I think what he also provided us which has been missing since Matip was out was someone willing to carry the ball out of the back through the middle - he did it a number of times and caused all sorts of issues for them
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #282: Nov 02, 2022 10:39:19 am
      Looks like Porto, Real Madrid, Bayern or PSG in the next round after that late Spurs winner.

You just know ours and Sadios paths are destined to meet once more.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 751 
      Reply #283: Nov 02, 2022 10:41:46 am
      Did not see the game, but seemingly a decent win for the Reds. Look forward to the draw on Monday.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #284: Nov 02, 2022 10:43:21 am
      Son came off injured last night in the first half. Any update on him? Clutching here ... and they won without him last night.

He went off with concussion so shouldn't really play for a week but we all know football doesn't really give a F**k about head injuries.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #285: Nov 02, 2022 12:47:04 pm
      I'm surprised Jones doesn't get a mention in your assessment dude. I've given him pelters for a while now but last night was his best game in ages. Not everything came off but I thought he had a good game, worked his socks off, pressed well, was strong on the ball, made some things happen with his dribbling ability and close control and got himself into some dangerous positions.
      I agree. He deserved a shout especially after what was said about him recently (including by me). He played a pretty good game overall. What I liked the most was that I felt he was taking quicker decisions with the ball at his feet which is one of my main issues with him. He usually will receive the ball and everything slows down from that moment onwards. Yesterday he seemed to be quicker in everything and, like you said, he pressed well and got himself into dangerous positions.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #286: Nov 02, 2022 01:11:17 pm
      Just an opinion. I might be totally wrong, but for the Spurs game, I think I would start with Gomez at RB. TAA can be subbed in later on (strategically), but considering we are playing away from home and we've displayed time and again over the past 10 games that we cannot keep hold of the ball and we will cause countless turnovers in the middle of the pitch, I'd rather see Joe brought in at RB. He can sit  a bit lower than TAA does usually and keep an eye on that Sessegnon, Son, Perisic, and Davies left flank. I know Son is a doubt for that game since he came off with a head injury last night, but still.

One thing we know for sure is Conte likes to crowd the midfield and play a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. I think that if Son is indeed out of the game then a 3-5-2 is more probable since they will also be missing Richarlison and Kulusevski. Whichever one it is, it does not bode well for our midfield since we cannot keep hold of the ball if our lives depended on it and it's not about to get better, away from home, against a team who adds an extra 2 bodies in that area. That's why I'd like Gomez to be brought in instead of TAA. They will surely attempt a lot of runs down both sides and cross the ball to Kane and those attempts will also rely on them winning the ball in the middle of the park (which they will). We need someone with pace and strength to battle their crosser for a good portion of the game. This will also enable Konate to focus on the more central threats rather than mop up behind TAA like the right sided center halves have had to do all season now. 

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #287: Nov 02, 2022 02:25:27 pm
      What I mean is, if mane had given the performance Jones did last night, would we all be saying what a great performance it was? No. We wouldn’t. We would probably be saying he had a quiet game and was a bit off to be honest.

Harsh comparing anybody to mane but that’s the standard we’ve set and the level we should always be at.

Also a bit harsh comparing a proper forward playing in a front three with an attacking midfielder.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #288: Nov 02, 2022 02:32:14 pm
      Jones played well and I’m not sure why some can’t recognise it - even more so when it’s in a position that he doesn’t normally play

He was tidy on the ball , provided a threat on the ball , got into some very threatening positions and also created some chances for others. He didn’t hold onto the ball too much and seemed to have a good understanding with Kostas

The way he played at times recycling and retaining the ball was a bit like Gini

It was a performance to build on and move forward now
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #289: Nov 02, 2022 02:54:20 pm
      He did ok but it was still a 6/10 type performance. 7 at a push. Certainly nothing to get carried away with or to go out your way and talk about.

Dude when do you ever go out of your way to talk about or praise any of our players!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #290: Nov 02, 2022 03:15:27 pm
      Dude when do you ever go out of your way to talk about or praise any of our players!

In pretty much every single post match thread.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #291: Nov 02, 2022 03:17:00 pm
      Jones played well and I’m not sure why some can’t recognise it - even more so when it’s in a position that he doesn’t normally play

He was tidy on the ball , provided a threat on the ball , got into some very threatening positions and also created some chances for others. He didn’t hold onto the ball too much and seemed to have a good understanding with Kostas

The way he played at times recycling and retaining the ball was a bit like Gini

It was a performance to build on and move forward now

It was an average performance but because you have a weird obsession with FSG and defend their lack of spending, you over praise the likes of Jones to justify it, even comparing him to Gini who was never replaced.

Curtis Jones is not, and never will be, as good as Gini.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #292: Nov 02, 2022 03:19:43 pm
      Also a bit harsh comparing a proper forward playing in a front three with an attacking midfielder.

But he still played in the front three so that’s where he will be judged on last nights performance.

He was fine last night, a lot better than usual, but that was it. Just a pretty average performance.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #293: Nov 02, 2022 03:25:33 pm
      It was an average performance but because you have a weird obsession with FSG and defend their lack of spending, you over praise the likes of Jones to justify it, even comparing him to Gini who was never replaced.

Curtis Jones is not, and never will be, as good as Gini.

What does Curtis Jones have to with FSG ?

You say I have an obsession with FSG yet you bring them into it ?!

Are people unable to be positive about a Liverpool player without you being a complete tool about it and looking for an agenda

Where did anyone say he “was as good as Gini”

🤦‍♂
      A young local lad player well in a big game - take your head out of your arse for once and just recognise it - and it’s got f**k all to do with the owners 🤦‍♂
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #294: Nov 02, 2022 03:26:57 pm
      Jones doesn't have the pace or the trickery to be a viable alternative wide left. Last night he was more of an old style inside left. He did OK but his game at this level is not quite good enough to command a regular place.Either in mid or offering width.

Jones knows his limitations which is why he lays it off so much. Think the Boss wanted to make sure we get Darwin through to the WC and beyond fit and it wasn't an issue benching him. Jones filled in and did OK.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #295: Nov 02, 2022 03:33:49 pm
      Jones doesn't have the pace or the trickery to be a viable alternative wide left. Last night he was more of an old style inside left. He did OK but his game at this level is not quite good enough to command a regular place.Either in mid or offering width.

Jones knows his limitations which is why he lays it off so much. Think the Boss wanted to make sure we get Darwin through to the WC and beyond fit and it wasn't an issue benching him. Jones filled in and did OK.

He's also coming off of a long injury spell. Give the lad a break FFS. He's still a kid, and JĂŒrgen obviously wants to see what he can offer. I thought he had a decent game last night. Pressed well, won the ball back, made some clever moves and was unlucky with his one really good chance. Made a good attempt at goal which maybe on another game he puts it on target and who knows. I think the biggest travesty from the last few years is that some fans have become so spoiled that if a player doesn't have a 10/10 every single game they are basically written off as needing benched, moved on or replaced. That's why we have JĂŒrgen Klopp here...he's the manager, it's his job to get the best out of the players he's got and he is obviously trying to get the most out of Curtis. We should all hope it works out because it's one less player we'd have to go buy.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #296: Nov 02, 2022 03:37:26 pm
      He did ok but it was still a 6/10 type performance. 7 at a push. Certainly nothing to get carried away with or to go out your way and talk about.

We’re used to seeing poor performances from him so when he has an ok game, a lot of people go over the top and think it’s better than it actually was. They kid themselves thinking there’s still a ‘player in there somewhere’.

What I mean is, if mane had given the performance Jones did last night, would we all be saying what a great performance it was? No. We wouldn’t. We would probably be saying he had a quiet game and was a bit off to be honest.

Harsh comparing anybody to mane but that’s the standard we’ve set and the level we should always be at.

Damn...imagine comparing a kid to a Ballon d'Or runner up :D and using that stick to beat him up with.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #297: Nov 02, 2022 03:52:35 pm
      He's also coming off of a long injury spell. Give the lad a break FFS. He's still a kid, and JĂŒrgen obviously wants to see what he can offer. I thought he had a decent game last night. Pressed well, won the ball back, made some clever moves and was unlucky with his one really good chance. Made a good attempt at goal which maybe on another game he puts it on target and who knows. I think the biggest travesty from the last few years is that some fans have become so spoiled that if a player doesn't have a 10/10 every single game they are basically written off as needing benched, moved on or replaced. That's why we have JĂŒrgen Klopp here...he's the manager, it's his job to get the best out of the players he's got and he is obviously trying to get the most out of Curtis. We should all hope it works out because it's one less player we'd have to go buy.

He's 21 and no player young or old is above criticism. I think Jones isn't that different from where Henderson was early on in his career. Hendo made himself into a LFC player. Jones has to be more pro active because now he is on the peripheral of the action, always laying it off instead of trying to make the play. At the minute Jones is at the crossroads here. The midfield squad needs a touch of youthful energy, risk taker, bit of flair. Jones has a chance. I don't see a clear path to team, that my view. He is going to be back up. Think I've been with this club long enough and I don't need reminding in terms of support.

In that sense it goes without saying that I want Jones to progress here. May be he will but I need to see a lot more before we call for him being included week in week out. I had my doubts before he was injured. Comes in to the team, does well and as I say Hendo was in a similar situation, so Jones has a role model. As a Bootle boy myself I always want local born players to do well but as I said nobody is above criticism.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #298: Nov 02, 2022 04:00:13 pm
      But he still played in the front three so that’s where he will be judged on last nights performance.

He was fine last night, a lot better than usual, but that was it. Just a pretty average performance.

Yea he can be judged but based on what he is as a player and not on how Sadio Mane played there.

Quick Reply