Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima KonatƩ
      33 (49.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (3%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      4 (6%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      3 (4.5%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (9%)
      Curtis Jones
      5 (7.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.5%)
      Calvin Ramsay
      1 (1.5%)
      Darwin NĆŗƱez
      12 (17.9%)
      FƔbio Carvalho
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: Nov 05, 2022 09:56:55 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Napoli: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 9745 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Napoli: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Nov 02, 2022 04:09:20 pm
      He's 21 and no player young or old is above criticism. I think Jones isn't that different from where Henderson was early on in his career. Hendo made himself into a LFC player. Jones has to be more pro active because now he is on the peripheral of the action, always laying it off instead of trying to make the play. At the minute Jones is at the crossroads here. The midfield squad needs a touch of youthful energy, risk taker, bit of flair. Jones has a chance. I don't see a clear path to team, that my view. He is going to be back up. Think I've been with this club long enough and I don't need reminding in terms of support.

In that sense it goes without saying that I want Jones to progress here. May be he will but I need to see a lot more before we call for him being included week in week out. I had my doubts before he was injured. Comes in to the team, does well and as I say Hendo was in a similar situation, so Jones has a role model. As a Bootle boy myself I always want local born players to do well but as I said nobody is above criticism.

Jones has had 18 months of injuries at a key time in his development

He is a player that the squad donā€™t really have - a more attacking midfielder , someone who wants to get at the ball but doesnā€™t hug the touchline - Klopp appears to like him and he did well last night playing a more forward role and seem to drift a lot
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #300: Nov 02, 2022 05:01:24 pm
      Think everyone put in a 7/10 performance last night.
      Some an8/10.
      Not mind blowing, but steady and reasonably solid.
      Donā€™t think Napoli had many clear cut chances, and donā€™t bore me with ā€˜they didnā€™t really try, it was a dead rubberā€™

They had a consistency record to protect. 21 games unbeaten. 13 wins on the trot. Could have been the first Italian side to win all six group games.
      Never lost to an English side.

We know what consistency does for confidence donā€™t we. They are a decent side snd they wanted to win last night thatā€™s for sure.
      We werenā€™t at our best for sure, but still stopped their unbeaten run. We were ok, good enough, and looked stronger all over the pitch.
      Just hope we can take some of that to spuds this weekend. That really would get us on track again.

Good to see the smiles on the players faces again, snd I hope thatā€™s given them a huge lift.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #301: Nov 02, 2022 05:17:19 pm
      Yea he can be judged but based on what he is as a player and not on how Sadio Mane played there.

Iā€™m not comparing him as a player to Mane. Iā€™m comparing him to the bar Mane set.

And if Jones is going to play LW then he gets judged as a LW. The same way Trent gets judged as a RB who isnā€™t a natural full back. Or Elliott as a centre mid and so on.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #302: Nov 02, 2022 05:24:06 pm
      What does Curtis Jones have to with FSG ?

You say I have an obsession with FSG yet you bring them into it ?!

Are people unable to be positive about a Liverpool player without you being a complete tool about it and looking for an agenda

Where did anyone say he ā€œwas as good as Giniā€

🤦ā€ā™‚ļø
      A young local lad player well in a big game - take your head out of your arse for once and just recognise it - and itā€™s got f**k all to do with the owners 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø

Touched a nerve there havenā€™t I. Itā€™s funny really, I often see you crying on here about other people being abusive towards you but this type of response is fairly common for you, isnā€™t it?

In the owners thread you regularly  tell us how many centre mids we have at the club, stating we donā€™t need any more. You include Curtis Jones in your little head count. You have regularly told us that gini was replaced by the club or depending on what mood youā€™re in, a replacement for him was never needed.

Iā€™m telling you that Gini was never replaced, a replacement was in fact needed, and that Curtis Jones canā€™t lace his boots.

You coming in match threads stating a players performance was very ā€˜gini likeā€™ is you trying to justify why FSG never replaced him. As I already said, Curtis Jones is not, and never will be, as good as Gini.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #303: Nov 02, 2022 05:50:22 pm
      Touched a nerve there havenā€™t I. Itā€™s funny really, I often see you crying on here about other people being abusive towards you but this type of response is fairly common for you, isnā€™t it?

In the owners thread you regularly  tell us how many centre mids we have at the club, stating we donā€™t need any more. You include Curtis Jones in your little head count. You have regularly told us that gini was replaced by the club or depending on what mood youā€™re in, a replacement for him was never needed.

Iā€™m telling you that Gini was never replaced, a replacement was in fact needed, and that Curtis Jones canā€™t lace his boots.

You coming in match threads stating a players performance was very ā€˜gini likeā€™ is you trying to justify why FSG never replaced him. As I already said, Curtis Jones is not, and never will be, as good as Gini.

1. Itā€™s the match thread not a thread about the owners - why are you talking about them ?

2. What does the match against Napoli have to do with Gini being replaced or not ?

3. No one stated that Jones was a replacement for Gini

4. Me saying that Jones at times provided something that Gini did in terms of ball retention  has nothing with the owners nor saying that he is as good as Gini

Just to clarify the only person who brought FSG into it was you

The only one talking about Gini not being replaced etc is you

People are giving a positive review in how well Jones played in a match against Napoli and yet somehow you decided to start going about the owners 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø - why ?

Look we all know that you donā€™t rate the young players - it seems clear , so when they play well you are a bit stumped and appear to just want to plough ahead with the opinion they arenā€™t good enough and trying to divert things away to talk about the owners 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø Bit embarrassing that ,
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #304: Nov 02, 2022 05:53:26 pm
      I am not as fan of Jones but I thought he had a good game last night
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #305: Nov 02, 2022 05:53:32 pm
      Just an opinion. I might be totally wrong, but for the Spurs game, I think I would start with Gomez at RB. TAA can be subbed in later on (strategically), but considering we are playing away from home and we've displayed time and again over the past 10 games that we cannot keep hold of the ball and we will cause countless turnovers in the middle of the pitch, I'd rather see Joe brought in at RB. He can sit  a bit lower than TAA does usually and keep an eye on that Sessegnon, Son, Perisic, and Davies left flank. I know Son is a doubt for that game since he came off with a head injury last night, but still.

One thing we know for sure is Conte likes to crowd the midfield and play a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. I think that if Son is indeed out of the game then a 3-5-2 is more probable since they will also be missing Richarlison and Kulusevski. Whichever one it is, it does not bode well for our midfield since we cannot keep hold of the ball if our lives depended on it and it's not about to get better, away from home, against a team who adds an extra 2 bodies in that area. That's why I'd like Gomez to be brought in instead of TAA. They will surely attempt a lot of runs down both sides and cross the ball to Kane and those attempts will also rely on them winning the ball in the middle of the park (which they will). We need someone with pace and strength to battle their crosser for a good portion of the game. This will also enable Konate to focus on the more central threats rather than mop up behind TAA like the right sided center halves have had to do all season now.

During TAA early days and in those two runs to the CL finals - Gomez a number of times was preferred to TAA for a more defensively solid back four

Itā€™s not a bad shout to see him play at the weekend at Right back - certainly want to see Konate stay alongside VVD
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #306: Nov 02, 2022 06:05:07 pm
      1. Itā€™s the match thread not a thread about the owners - why are you talking about them ?

2. What does the match against Napoli have to do with Gini being replaced or not ?

3. No one stated that Jones was a replacement for Gini

4. Me saying that Jones at times provided something that Gini did in terms of ball retention  has nothing with the owners nor saying that he is as good as Gini

Just to clarify the only person who brought FSG into it was you

The only one talking about Gini not being replaced etc is you

People are giving a positive review in how well Jones played in a match against Napoli and yet somehow you decided to start going about the owners 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø - why ?

Look we all know that you donā€™t rate the young players - it seems clear , so when they play well you are a bit stumped and appear to just want to plough ahead with the opinion they arenā€™t good enough and trying to divert things away to talk about the owners 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø Bit embarrassing that ,

Because everybody knows what you do. You spend every spare minute you have in the owners thread saying the reason they donā€™t spend money on a midfielder is because the likes of Curtis Jones are on our books.

Then you come in the match thread and try and insult peoples intelligence by making out he was prime zidane after he gave a bang average performance.

You do it all the time, youā€™re obsessed. Whatever you post in the owners thread you will then talk absolute wham in a post match thread a few days later to try and make what you said accurate.

Elliott is an example. Just like Jones, you say we canā€™t sign another midfielder because Elliott plays in that position. When the truth of the matter is, Elliott is a winger and was put in midfield because of our long list of injuries/declining players who play in there. We had no other choice but you just talk barm.

Then, whenever we win a game and Elliott started in midfield you jump all over it. ā€˜Oh my god Elliott was a absolutely amazing thatā€™s why we donā€™t need a midfielderā€™ bla bla bla. When at times, he was bang average too.

To be honest, Elliott hasnā€™t had a great season so far playing in our midfield and his two best performances came at rangers where he played as a RW and against city where he played as a RM. Something I repeatedly told you.

What young players are you referring to? The only young players Iā€™ve criticised in recent times that I can think of are Jones whoā€™s crap, Kabak (couldnā€™t even get in the Norwich team yet you still defended the owners over that garbage signing) and Nunez who isnā€™t good enough to play down the middle and I said a few times I want him on the left and look whatā€™s happened since heā€™s played there. So Iā€™ve actually got a few things right to be fair.

Oh is that embarrassing that I rate or criticise players regardless of age? Suppose I could be more of an embarrassment if I spent every spare minute of every single day on a LFC forum, was in my forties and used dozens of emojiā€™s in every post I do, or made out I knew everything about the city, club and how scousers think and feel when Iā€™m from Chester. You made a comment about a sat nav the other dayā€¦.youā€™re aba an hour away lad.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #307: Nov 02, 2022 06:15:59 pm
      Because everybody knows what you do. You spend every spare minute you have in the owners thread saying the reason they donā€™t spend money on a midfielder is because the likes of Curtis Jones are on our books.

Only one going on about the owners is you 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

Then you come in the match thread and try and insult peoples intelligence by making out he was prime zidane after he gave a bang average performance.

Where did anyone make out he was prime Zidane 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø Making things up now

You do it all the time, youā€™re obsessed. Whatever you post in the owners thread you will then talk absolute wham in a post match thread a few days later to try and make what you said accurate.

Going on about the owners again 🥱

Elliott is an example. Just like Jones, you say we canā€™t sign another midfielder because Elliott plays in that position. When the truth of the matter is, Elliott is a winger and was put in midfield because of our long list of injuries/declining players who play in there. We had no other choice but you just talk barm.

Amazingly Klopp keeps playing Elliot as midfielder - guess you need to let him know he is wrong

Then, whenever we win a game and Elliott started in midfield you jump all over it. ā€˜Oh my god Elliott was a absolutely amazing thatā€™s why we donā€™t need a midfielderā€™ bla bla bla. When at times, he was bang average too.

To be honest, Elliott hasnā€™t had a great season so far playing in our midfield and his two best performances came at rangers where he played as a RW and against city where he played as a RM. Something I repeatedly told you.

What young players are you referring to? The only young players Iā€™ve criticised in recent times that I can think of are Jones whoā€™s crap, Kabak (couldnā€™t even get in the Norwich team yet you still defended the owners over that garbage signing) and Nunez who isnā€™t good enough to play down the middle and I said a few times I want him on the left and look whatā€™s happened since heā€™s played there. So Iā€™ve actually got a few things right to be fair.

So that Elliot who is bang average , Jones who is crap - Christ good luck to any young player coming into the team

Got things right 🤔 maybe in your own head.

Iā€™m staggered youā€™re not the manager when it appears you know more than the manager. Maybe when Klopp goes you should apply for the job as it seems youā€™re never wrong

Oh is that embarrassing that I rate or criticise players regardless of age? Suppose I could be more of an embarrassment if I spent every spare minute of every single day on a LFC forum, was in my forties and used dozens of emojiā€™s in every post I do, or made out I knew everything about the city, club and how scousers think and feel when Iā€™m from Chester. You made a comment about a sat nav the other dayā€¦.youā€™re aba an hour away lad.
      😂

Was it touching a nerve - all that from someone saying that Jones had a good game - you donā€™t like being challenged do you pal. Is it an ego thing ? Are you used to people around you telling you youā€™re right all the time ( prob just to massage it 😂 )

But youā€™re boring now so Iā€™ll let you have the last word
      « Last Edit: Nov 02, 2022 06:24:22 pm by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #308: Nov 02, 2022 06:30:19 pm
      Only one going on about the owners is you 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

Where did anyone make out he was prime Zidane 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø Making things up now

Going on about the owners again 🥱

Amazingly Klopp keeps playing Elliot as midfielder - guess you need to let him know he is wrong

So that Elliot who is bang average , Jones who is crap - Christ good luck to any young player coming into the team

Got things right 🤔 maybe in your own head.

Iā€™m staggered youā€™re not the manager when it appears you know more than the manager. Maybe when Klopp goes you should apply for the job as it seems youā€™re never wrong
       😂

Was it touching a nerve - all that from someone saying that Jones had a good game - you donā€™t like being challenged do you pal. Is it an ego thing ? Are you used to people around you telling you youā€™re right all the time ( prob just to massage it 😂 )

And Iā€™ve just told you why. Because you spend all week in the owners thread and then talk wham in the post match thread trying your best to highlight what you said a few days previous - trying to insult peoples intelligence.

Jones was average by a typical Liverpool players standard. But by his usual standards thatā€™s Jones actually having a good game.

Yep Jones is crap. And he will never be a consistent starter for Liverpool. Well, he could be under these owners but if he ever is then we wonā€™t be competing near the top thatā€™s for sure. We will never win a title with Curtis Jones starting 30+ games in our midfield.

Iā€™ve never called Elliott a bang average player either. Some of his performances are at times, like any player. But I rate him highly and Iā€™ve made that crystal clear. He's just playing out of position. Yep we continue to play him there because we canā€™t call on the likes of Keita, ox, Milner, Jones etc. The options are limited and playing a younger winger in there is our best option which highlights the terrible work FSG have done. Poor Klopp.

Do you have difficulty reading or something? Even the Zidane comment. I said you made out he was prime zidane. Not that you actually said it. Bit silly of you that wasnā€™t it.

What have you challenged me on? Anybody can go into any post match thread they like and see for themselves you talking sh*t about our midfield ignoring the clear problems we have in there and itā€™s all because of your weird bizarre obsession with FSG and their failure to back us.

People would take you more seriously and you would have a lot more credit to your debates if you were honest. But you constantly talk sh*te and all you do is prove you have a strange agenda.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #309: Nov 02, 2022 06:37:47 pm
      He went off with concussion so shouldn't really play for a week but we all know football doesn't really give a f**k about head injuries.

The FA have very ā€œweakā€ head injury protocols , seems itā€™s a minimum of 6 days but down to club etc

He was clearly suffering from some level of concussion and he really shouldnā€™t be playing at the weekend - itā€™s the same with Milner, if he was not feeling great at half time he shouldnā€™t have been out on the pitch second half - maybe that is an issue being without a doctor at the moment
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #310: Nov 02, 2022 08:02:00 pm
      What does Curtis Jones have to with FSG ?

You say I have an obsession with FSG yet you bring them into it ?!

Are people unable to be positive about a Liverpool player without you being a complete tool about it and looking for an agenda

Where did anyone say he ā€œwas as good as Giniā€

🤦ā€ā™‚ļø
      A young local lad player well in a big game - take your head out of your arse for once and just recognise it - and itā€™s got f**k all to do with the owners 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø

Think yer missing his point Lall, what H is getting at is Jones did ok, without pulling any trees, he did the job JĆ¼rgen asked of him and he did it well to be fair to the lad, the ladā€™s problem is heā€™s simply isnā€™t or hasnā€™t been good enough to shift anyone in the same position, yes heā€™s a young lad and all that but he needs to be better than he has shown, heā€™s been around long enough now to be making i bigger impact than what he has thus far,
      Iā€™m sure the lad works his nads off trying to be better, and there lies the problem, maybe JĆ¼rgen doesnā€™t see enough improvement from him to warrant a regular start, but Curtis needs regular playing time to bolster his confidence and prove he deserves a regular spot, catch 22 if you want?

Iā€™m with H here, I just donā€™t think heā€™ll quite make the level of quality JĆ¼rgen needs, there is no doubt the lad is talented and will have good career, but I canā€™t see it being at Liverpool, I hope Iā€™m wrong but it might ultimately be best if we were to sell him and make way for higher quality .

Y  N  W  A

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #311: Nov 02, 2022 08:19:43 pm

Think yer missing his point Lall, what H is getting at is Jones did ok, without pulling any trees, he did the job JĆ¼rgen asked of him and he did it well to be fair to the lad, the ladā€™s problem is heā€™s simply isnā€™t or hasnā€™t been good enough to shift anyone in the same position, yes heā€™s a young lad and all that but he needs to be better than he has shown, heā€™s been around long enough now to be making i bigger impact than what he has thus far,
      Iā€™m sure the lad works his nads off trying to be better, and there lies the problem, maybe JĆ¼rgen doesnā€™t see enough improvement from him to warrant a regular start, but Curtis needs regular playing time to bolster his confidence and prove he deserves a regular spot, catch 22 if you want?

Iā€™m with H here, I just donā€™t think heā€™ll quite make the level of quality JĆ¼rgen needs, there is no doubt the lad is talented and will have good career, but I canā€™t see it being at Liverpool, I hope Iā€™m wrong but it might ultimately be best if we were to sell him and make way for higher quality .

Y  N  W  A

No issues if people want to rate players different but to just call him ā€œcrapā€ and then rant about the owners when someone says he had a good game 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø- I

thought Jones played well last night higher up the pitch

He is 21 and has had 18 months of niggling injures that has affected his development which meant he couldnā€™t get himself in a regular spot  but last night will give him a huge boost - he was certainly the liveliest of the front three

He clearly has ability , the manager imo likes him and rates him , he is a main player for England U21ā€™s and is going to be someone who plays his part in the squad in the coming seasons

There are areas in his game that he needs to work on and develop but who better to do that than Klopp
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #312: Nov 02, 2022 08:30:22 pm
      No issues if people want to rate players different but to just call him ā€œcrapā€ and then rant about the owners when someone says he had a good game 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø- I

He is 21 and has had 18 months of niggling injures that has affected his development which meant he couldnā€™t get himself in a regular spot  but last night will give him a huge boost - he was certainly the liveliest of the front three

He clearly has ability , the manager imo likes him and rates him , he is a main player for England U21ā€™s and is going to be someone who plays his part in the squad in the coming seasons

There are areas in his game that he needs to work on and develop but who better to do that than Klopp

Thatā€™s fair comment regarding his injuries mate, but I guess weā€™ll see in due course whether or not he makes it, I have my reservations as you are aware, if there are any comparableā€™s Iā€™d look at the impact Harvey has made so far this season, heā€™s younger and he has pulled a few trees already, everyone is different of course and some develop quicker than otherā€™s, maybe Curtis in the next season or two will flower into the player we all want to see ??
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #313: Nov 02, 2022 08:42:23 pm

Thatā€™s fair comment regarding his injuries mate, but I guess weā€™ll see in due course whether or not he makes it, I have my reservations as you are aware, if there are any comparableā€™s Iā€™d look at the impact Harvey has made so far this season, heā€™s younger and he has pulled a few trees already, everyone is different of course and some develop quicker than otherā€™s, maybe Curtis in the next season or two will flower into the player we all want to see ??

I think he will turn into a very good squad player for us - i donā€™t think anyone is expecting the next Gerrard etc but I see him being someone who will be in and around the squad getting a good number of games.

Him , Elliot , Ramsey , Carvahlo and even players like Bajcetic and Doak all have very bright futures ahead of them - and even more so working under Klopp and alongside some of the best in the world
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #314: Nov 02, 2022 09:09:13 pm
      He went off with concussion so shouldn't really play for a week but we all know football doesn't really give a f**k about head injuries.

Looks like he has had surgery on a fractured eye socket
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #315: Nov 02, 2022 10:02:37 pm
      Despite the 'debate' over Jones it was generally a positive result. Still plenty of issues but looking at Darwin, that was quite a clever move by Klopp. I think he knows he can get a niffty 'cameo' from Darwin. I wanted him on from the off but I see the trick here.

Getting it right with Darwin isn't easy and giving him that little 'cameo' gave Darwin himself the boost he needed after the defeat. Bit of phychology coming into play here. Clever bit of man management by Klopp.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #316: Nov 02, 2022 10:41:09 pm

Youā€™re over praising Jones as justification for why the owners wonā€™t buy midfielders.

You talk waffle. Bobby and Salah had quiet games, doesnā€™t mean Jones was some sort of wizard.

And who gives a F**k about the u21s? Look at all the crabs who have played for them over the years! Want a list?  And players of Jones age of any real ability are in or around the seniors, want another list?

If we sign a couple of top midfielders then Curtis Jones will be nowhere near our starting line up.

Quick Reply