Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

FSG put Liverpool up for sale

Read 100827 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Re: FSG put Liverpool up for sale
      Reply #1380: Feb 03, 2023 10:40:28 am
      Can only imagine the sh*t they'd get if we hadn't won everything there is to win under their watch. ;D

I just have to wonder how these people were from 91 through to 2000 or then from 2002 to 2005 and then from 2006 until 2012

Now they were some barren spells when we werenā€™t even in the CL

Iā€™m still struggling to understand whatā€™s the big crime

They said the club would stand on its own two feet , spend the money it earns - it does that

People are basically crying like kids because they arenā€™t spending Ā£100mil of their own money every window to buy players.

Is it the stadium build thatā€™s the issue ?

The new training facilities?

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1381: Feb 03, 2023 11:10:36 am
      I'm probably in the minority on here but I don't think FSG have been terrible owners. They took us from a top 6 club with limited aspirations and not significant silverware to a European powerhouse that has CL, PL trophies among others. They renovated the stadium and surrounding area and have bought players while breaking transfer records.  I do think they should have spent more money on transfers and feel they have not taken advantage of what they had. I think they should sell and unfortunately if we want to compete with City, Chelsea, Newcastle, Madrid, Bayern etc....We need a big investor with big pockets. But, I remember the wilderness years. I remember H & G and bad players and worse coaches. But FSG don't deserve all the hate that they're getting. They made us relevant again and I wouldn't trade the last 8 years for anything. It's been amazing.

I think our success was more along 80% Klopp and 20% FSG. Yes, they run the club like a well-oiled business, but as far as helping out on the pitch, with a transfer net spend of only Ā£20m per transfer window, that tells me all I need to know.

www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/alletransfers/verein/31

From 2010-11, FSG have had 24 transfer windows.

Signings: Ā£1,324,190,000

Sales: Ā£839,420,000

Net Spend: Ā£484.77m

Spread over 24 transfer windows: Ā£20.19m

And that's being favourable towards FSG's net spend. That's not subjective opinion, that's maths. 
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2023 11:35:21 am by Rush »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #1382: Feb 03, 2023 11:21:39 am
      I think our success was more along 80% Klopp and 20% FSG. Yes, they run the club like a well-oiled business, but as far as helping out on the pitch, with a transfer net spend of only Ā£20m per transfer window, that tells me all I need to know.

Signings: Ā£1,221,460,000

Sales: Ā£737,920,000

Net Spend: Ā£483.54m

Spread over 24 transfer windows, that works out at Ā£20.14m per transfer window. That's not subjective opinion, that's cold hard maths.

So the club have spent Ā£1bn on players using the money they have earned.

We know that we are only spending money we make - thatā€™s not new

And breaking out ā€œnet spendā€ into the number of windows achieves what ?

What if we go through a Jan window and donā€™t need to buy anyone ? The current window we spent Ā£40mil and sold no one so thatā€™s Ā£40mil net in that window 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

We spent Ā£100mil one window - won the CL , they spent little and won the league 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

Is there some benchmark where a club has a per window spend they need to spend

Itā€™s just a manipulation of finances to try and make it look like we donā€™t spend much money - but Ā£1bn on players
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #1383: Feb 03, 2023 11:42:59 am
      CL

Iā€™m still struggling to understand whatā€™s the big crime

They said the club would stand on its own two feet , spend the money it earns - it does that
      Are you seriously trying to float the idea that we have spent a billion on players ?
      We are way behind that figure and you know it , as for the stadium build yes itā€™s good itā€™s done , but letā€™s not pretend who actually paid for it because it certainly wasnā€™t them , , while I might agree they havnt been as bad as some make out , if they had actually invested in potential instead of hopefulls, this team would have won a hell of a lot more , because while the first eleven was class , there was nothing behind it and that is down to them ,
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      Reply #1384: Feb 03, 2023 12:07:35 pm
      So the club have spent Ā£1bn on players using the money they have earned.
      Chelsea just spent Ā£323m in the January transfer window. Obscene? Yes. Ridiculous? Yes. Sustainable? Honestly don't know. No business people can be that fiscally inept that they think they can spend Ā£323m without their business going bust the next day. So yes, obscene and ridiculous (though probably sustainable), but it does show you where football is headed right now. And like it or not, Ā£20m per transfer window is utterly pathetic. It would be utterly pathetic if Chelsea had only spent Ā£100m this transfer window.

We know that we are only spending money we make - thatā€™s not new
      I know. Yes, FSG are good business people and we are in a much more stable financial situation. But they are next to useless custodians of Liverpool FC when it comes to player acquisition requirements. So what if Mike Ashley balanced the books and made no losses? Where did that leave the Toon army faithful?

And breaking out ā€œnet spendā€ into the number of windows achieves what ?
      It gives accurate down-to-the-pound funds (give or take) that FSG has given managers to buy players with over 12 years.

Massaging the Numbers: Here's Ā£1,324,190.00p over 12 years. Go spend it on new players to win League titles and European honours. And none of that Europa league stuff, either.

Reality in Numbers: Here's Ā£20m for this transfer window. Go spend it on new players to win League titles and European honours. And none of that Europa league stuff, either.

What if we go through a Jan window and donā€™t need to buy anyone ? The current window we spent Ā£40mil and sold no one so thatā€™s Ā£40mil net in that window 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø
      Correct

We spent Ā£100mil one window - won the CL , they spent little and won the league 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø
      And in some transfer windows FSG actually made money from a transfer window. Dress it up however you like, we have a net spend of Ā£20m per transfer window.

Is there some benchmark where a club has a per window spend they need to spend
      More than FSG's Ā£20m per window will do for starters. Here's another example. Chelsea are (were?) below us in 10th place. They just spend Ā£323m in January. I'm going to be fair and go for something more in the middle of Ā£20m and Ā£323m. Ā£100m every transfer window - unless you don't need to spend for that particular window. It happens (ask FSG).

Itā€™s just a manipulation of finances to try and make it look like we donā€™t spend much money - but Ā£1bn on players
      Yup, that mathematics nonsense is a real drag when it comes to presenting cold hard numbers.
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2023 03:00:06 pm by Rush »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #1385: Feb 03, 2023 12:41:34 pm
      Are you seriously trying to float the idea that we have spent a billion on players ?
      We are way behind that figure and you know it , as for the stadium build yes itā€™s good itā€™s done , but letā€™s not pretend who actually paid for it because it certainly wasnā€™t them , , while I might agree they havnt been as bad as some make out , if they had actually invested in potential instead of hopefulls, this team would have won a hell of a lot more , because while the first eleven was class , there was nothing behind it and that is down to them ,

Yes we have spent Ā£1.1bn on new players
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #1386: Feb 03, 2023 01:02:03 pm
      Chelsea just spent Ā£323m in the January transfer window. Obscene? Yes. Ridiculous? Yes. Sustainable? Honestly don't know. No business people can be that fiscally inept that they think they can spend Ā£323m without their business going bust the next day. So yes, obscene and ridiculous (though probably sustainable), but it does show you where football is headed right now. And like it or not, Ā£20m per transfer window is utterly pathetic. It would be utterly pathetic if Chelsea had only spent Ā£100m this transfer window.
      I know. Yes, FSG are good business people and we are in a much more stable financial situation. But they are next to useless custodians of Liverpool FC when it comes to player acquisition requirements. So what if Mike Ashley balanced the books and made no losses? Where did that leave the Toon army faithful?
      It gives accurate down-to-the-pound funds (give or take) that FSG has given managers to buy players with over 12 years.

Massaging the Numbers: Here's Ā£1,324,190.00p over 12 years. Go spend it on new players to win League titles and European honours. And none of that Europa league stuff, either.

Reality in Numbers: Here's Ā£20m for this transfer window. Go spend it on new players to win League titles and European honours. And none of that Europa league stuff, either.
      Correct
      And in some transfer windows FSG actually made money from a transfer window. Dress it up however you like, we have a net spend of Ā£20m per transfer window.
      More than FSG's Ā£20m per window will do for starters. Here's another example. Chelsea are (were?) below us in 10th place. They just spend Ā£323m in January. I'm going to be fair and go for something more in the middle of Ā£23m and Ā£323m. Ā£100m every transfer window - unless you don't need to spend for that particular window. It happens (ask FSG).
      Yup, that mathematics nonsense is a real drag when it comes to presenting cold hard numbers.

What about the money spent on wages to all these top players

Do people just look at fees in regards outgoings ?

Letā€™s take the signings of VVD and Allison - the club spent Ā£130mil on them - why is it different if the money came from the pockets of the owner as opposed to using the clubs income 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

The club have spent Ā£1.1bn on players Klopp has spent over Ā£800mil o believe on players. Does it matter where the money comes from 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #1387: Feb 03, 2023 01:13:20 pm
      The issue with FSG is their model requires absolute perfection. It requires a world class manager, it requires a world class sporting director who will rinse clubs dealing with us and negotiate hard when it comes to buying, it requires a world class recruitment team that don't recommend any duds and it requires other clubs not to rip up the rulebook massively when it comes to spending.

We've lost half of the above now. FFP is dead, we have no sellable assets like Coutinho and to me the recruitment is not as on point as it was between 2016-2020. This summer we will see 5 clubs spend hundreds of millions to leave us further behind.

They've had a great run and I will always appreciate them picking us up from the H&G disaster and convincing Klopp we were the right project but now it's time to go and get people in who will give Klopp the tools to compete again.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,872 posts | 2693 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1388: Feb 03, 2023 01:28:30 pm
      Donā€™t some of you get tired of trying to flog a dead horse.  ;D
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #1389: Feb 03, 2023 01:30:24 pm
      The issue with FSG is their model requires absolute perfection. It requires a world class manager, it requires a world class sporting director who will rinse clubs dealing with us and negotiate hard when it comes to buying, it requires a world class recruitment team that don't recommend any duds and it requires other clubs not to rip up the rulebook massively when it comes to spending.

We've lost half of the above now. FFP is dead, we have no sellable assets like Coutinho and to me the recruitment is not as on point as it was between 2016-2020. This summer we will see 5 clubs spend hundreds of millions to leave us further behind.

They've had a great run and I will always appreciate them picking us up from the H&G disaster and convincing Klopp we were the right project but now it's time to go and get people in who will give Klopp the tools to compete again.

What it does show is how bad a state the sport is when itā€™s believed that the only way for a club to be successful is to have rich owners who spend lots of their own money - it comes down to who is richer
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      Reply #1390: Feb 03, 2023 01:55:28 pm
      What about the money spent on wages to all these top players
      What about it? Do Chelsea's players play for free, what about Newcastle's, or Brentford's for that matter, do they play for nothing? All players are paid a wage. You say that as if FSG are the only owners who pay their players.

Do people just look at fees in regards outgoings ?
      I don't know; I'm not people. But personally, I don't care much about a player's weekly wage (other than it'll be the death-knell of football if it carries on - but that's for another day). I'm more concerned with there not being enough of a transfer kitty to get the players we need in the first place. I'm reminded of an old Shankly quote:

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

In other words, just do your job and do it well. FSG, brilliant business people, terrible football people. So only doing half a job. The half that makes them billions of dollars in profit.

Letā€™s take the signings of VVD and Allison - the club spent Ā£130mil on them - why is it different if the money came from the pockets of the owner as opposed to using the clubs income 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø
      It hardly ever comes from the pockets of the owners. That's the point, here. FSG sell to buy. Again, that's the point here. It rarely even comes down to the question of whether or not the money comes from FSG or the club's money-making ability.

The Ā£145m from Coutinho's sale to Barca funded the purchases of VvD and Alisson. That emphasises my point. You don't buy VvD and Alisson with Ā£20m. FSG never bought VvD or Alisson. Brendan Rodgers did when he brought Coutinho to the club.

The club have spent Ā£1.1bn on players Klopp has spent over Ā£800mil o believe on players. Does it matter where the money comes from 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø
      Yes. Of course, absolutely it matters where the money comes from. How can you ask that? It matters because if it's not coming from the club owner it's coming from player sales. Like when we sell Salah to PSG for Ā£80m to fund the purchase of Bellingham. Or more likely when we use the money to purchase a lesser player because we don't even make the Europa league - due to a lack of quality on the pitch because FSG only releases Ā£20m per transfer window.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #1391: Feb 03, 2023 02:44:19 pm

What it does show is how bad a state the sport is when itā€™s believed that the only way for a club to be successful is to have rich owners who spend lots of their own money - it comes down to who is richer

Don't disagree at all.

Seeing what Chelsea did this window, what City have done in recent years and thinking about what Newcastle will do from this summer onwards is depressing and puts me off football a fair bit if I'm honest.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #1392: Feb 03, 2023 02:57:36 pm
      Don't disagree at all.

Seeing what Chelsea did this window, what City have done in recent years and thinking about what Newcastle will do from this summer onwards is depressing and puts me off football a fair bit if I'm honest.

Itā€™s getting close to people just jacking it in - what sort owners buy the club could be a killer for some, i certainly would walk away if owned by a state
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      Reply #1393: Feb 03, 2023 03:15:12 pm
      I honestly don't know where football is supposed to go from here. These transfer fees and wages can't continue to rise like this. Bring in a transfer cap and a wage cap or something. If players and agents don't like it, tough, they can pack up and leave.

I remember being incredulous when I heard Ronaldo was on Ā£500,000.00 a week at Madrid (and probably tax-free). I'm sure Mbappe is on a good deal more. 

Anyway, small potatoes. Shell Oil makes Ā£1,000 a minute. Let's have them as owners.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1394: Feb 03, 2023 03:24:51 pm

Signings: Ā£1,324,190,000

Sales: Ā£839,420,000

Net Spend: Ā£484.77m

Spread over 24 transfer windows: Ā£20.19m

And that's being favourable towards FSG's net spend. That's not subjective opinion, that's maths. 

Basically what I've been saying mate. Klopp has a net of around 20m a year in 8 years. Disgraceful.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1395: Feb 03, 2023 03:27:41 pm
      Donā€™t some of you get tired of trying to flog a dead horse.  ;D

Ignore is a wonderful thing Keith. Easy.

The figures are there for all to see. Some are just too thick to admit what's infront of them. Embarrassing really.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,196 posts | 734 
      Reply #1396: Feb 03, 2023 03:29:30 pm
      There is such a massive disconnect between the supporters and the game. The birth of the premier league and the sell off of TV rights to Murdoch was the beginning of the end. Long gone the days when dad's could afford to take their kids to a match without breaking the bank.  When I started going, a decent player had a nice house, nice car....now they live in mansions and flaunt around in million pound supercars... (picture this week of the New lad on his way to Chelsea with his agent on a private jet)...how can you not be vexed? ....I'm not talking jealously, it's just the chasm between the clubs and the fans.
      It wasn't that long ago multimillionaires owned the big clubs, then it was billionaires....and now it's all kinds of nefarious interests with endless funds....It's madness. Make no mistake, it was all planned, and executed with a nod and a wink by government/ FA etc. so as to line their own pockets....People like Alan Sugar, with his monopoly of Ā£50 satellite dishes that cost 10p to make....Greedy Bast**ds the lot of them.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,872 posts | 2693 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1397: Feb 03, 2023 03:32:15 pm
      Ignore is a wonderful thing Keith. Easy.

The figures are there for all to see. Some are just too thick to admit what's infront of them. Embarrassing really.

It is a good feature of the site.  ;D
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #1398: Feb 03, 2023 03:39:46 pm
      Basically what I've been saying mate. Klopp has a net of around 20m a year in 8 years. Disgraceful.

Someone needs to check the figures
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #1399: Feb 03, 2023 03:47:30 pm
      Yes we have spent Ā£1.1bn on new players
      So the coutinho money didnā€™t buy Virg or alisson fsg did my mistake that 🤔
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #1400: Feb 03, 2023 03:51:15 pm
      So the coutinho money didnā€™t buy Virg or alisson fsg did my mistake that 🤔

:f_doh:

Does that mean we didnā€™t spend Ā£1bn because some money came from player sales
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #1401: Feb 03, 2023 03:59:16 pm

People don't even know the difference between revenue and net income, so not surprised if the wrong numbers are being quoted.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #1402: Feb 03, 2023 04:12:33 pm
      :f_doh:

Does that mean we didnā€™t spend Ā£1bn because some money came from player sales

Your pretty good at this agenda malarkey, if you want to keep on believing we spent a billion outright weā€™re talking mind then there really is no point in carrying on the conversation ,

Quick Reply