Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 168815 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1380: Jan 26, 2024 12:32:19 pm
      I think Robbo will be fit before Trent. So maybe Robbo plays LB and Joe moves across to cover RB with Bradley losing out?

Might be a bit harsh on Joe and Bradley but makes the team better.

Also, Robbo is not going to start playing 90mins twice a week immediately, he'll need time to get fully fit. They will both probably get time at LB

Agreed
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #1381: Jan 26, 2024 01:45:59 pm
      It is good to have plenty of options especially in defence, where successful teams are built.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1382: Feb 02, 2024 04:27:56 pm
      From Dan Morgan (The Anfield Wrap)

Joe Gomez: How The Longest-Serving Red Reinvented Himself
      DANIEL Sturridge is, in so many ways, eternal.

Eternal cool, eternal class and eternal youth. Sturridge is somehow still only 34 years old. That means he was 29 when he scored against Paris Saint-Germain in 2018, 26 when he netted in the 2016 Europa League final and 24 when he chipped Ben Foster against West Bromwich Albion at Anfield in 2013.

You can look upon this fact with sadness. He should have had more to give only for an ailing body, riddled with niggling issues which would rob him of a valued yard.

But then, his effervescence is desperately needed in the Sky Sports studio. He represents everything the mainstream, go-to punditry isn’t. A young, black man unconsumed by his perceived image, giving insightful and considered analysis.

Sturridge is the classic example of the football hoodwink. We demand so much and bestow so much on people young enough to be our children, in some cases. There, buried in our psyche is the notion that these footballers are always older than us, somehow.

Joe Gomez, with whom Sturridge shared a warm embrace with at Craven Cottage in the Carabao Cup semi-final last week, is another example of this. At 26, Gomez is now Liverpool’s longest serving player. He is two years off a testimonial.

Joseph Dave Gomez. A man some will label a happy wanderer. Others will lampoon as lost talent and unfulfilled potential. To most of us, a winner and Liverpool FC centrepiece to Jürgen Klopp’s years.

It’s incredible to think of Gomez’s journey and what that has represented to himself and the club. He was a shrewd signing. Someone Brendan Rodgers had no problems with at all, it seemed.

Gomez spoke on the club’s official podcast recently about having experienced all of Merseyside. He’s lived everywhere, from South Liverpool to coastal suburbs and back to town. He’s become a dad here, despite the fact he couldn’t cook for himself when he first arrived.

We expect them to be older, but also more robotic. We don’t care about adaptation and the fact they’ve never heard of council tax. We need them to start left-back away to Arsenal.

Gomez has once again reinvented himself for Liverpool, at Liverpool. He is outperforming the likes of Kieran Trippier and Ben White in lots of full-back areas this season. Against Chelsea he was again consummate, but firstly competent.

His numbers look stronger in the more defensive attributes, ranking in the 92nd percentile for tackles, 86th for interceptions and 84th for aerial wins. He’s also in the 84th percentile for pass completion.

Both Klopp and Pep Lijnders have gone out of their way to emphasise Liverpool wouldn’t be on such a strong battlefront heading into the run-in without Gomez’s presence in the team.

The team are conceding over three shots less from the league period between August to November (about the time Gomez started featuring regularly) and November to the present day. Their expected goals against (xGA) is also down to 0.85 from 1.21.

This isn’t Gomez alone, of course. But there’s reinvention afoot. He has looked composed and comfortable. His character arc is now adopting more cult-hero status on account of his impending Liverpool goal, something even Adidas have jumped on.

All the while he remains part of Liverpool’s makeup, a reminder that time can sometimes play tricks on us. Both he and Sturridge offer us a glimpse of our own existential contradictions. Both he and Sturridge are, in their own way and right, eternal.

Gomez is unapologetically himself. He is happy to slow the clock down for all of us. To offer wisdom from a position of continued youth, despite our perceptions.

For ourselves, for the greater good, Gomez is a winner at Liverpool and will continue to be so forevermore.

Dan
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #1383: Feb 02, 2024 05:45:55 pm
      He has to keep his position at left back. He's earnt it. Robbo can get it back, but that's the beauty of Klopp's Liverpool - you earn your place in the team.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1384: Feb 04, 2024 08:34:02 pm
      Couldn't understand  for the life of me, Jürgen taking Joe off and replacing him with Thiago.

Left the whole left side unattended for them to score their 3rd.

TBF I had lost my sh*t when we conceded that 2nd goal and my mind was all over the shop about how the F**k that even happened?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #1385: Feb 10, 2024 10:02:57 am
      He has to keep his position at left back. He's earnt it. Robbo can get it back, but that's the beauty of Klopp's Liverpool - you earn your place in the team.

I think its time mate. We  need Robbo's drive and momentum.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,138 posts | 1082 
      Reply #1386: Feb 15, 2024 02:38:29 am
      Scoring in the Carabo cup final. Calling it

Hate to hear about TAA, but Joe deserves to start a cup final.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 675 posts | 130 
      Reply #1387: Feb 15, 2024 09:11:38 am
      Gomez v Brentford and Chelsea, Bradley v Luton and S'ton?
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #1388: Feb 15, 2024 06:29:04 pm
      Scoring in the Carabo cup final. Calling it

Hate to hear about TAA, but Joe deserves to start a cup final.
      He’s come so close to banging one in
      Lately & yeah he deffo deserves a start.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,194 posts | 1205 
      Reply #1389: Feb 15, 2024 07:19:22 pm
      Gomez v Brentford and Chelsea, Bradley v Luton and S'ton?

I agree mate. I think he deserves a start in the final the way he's played this season. It would crown quite the come back for him after last season and I'm sure he will relish it as well being a Londoner against the Chavs.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,518 posts | 713 
      Reply #1390: Feb 29, 2024 02:28:36 am
      New Number Six!

What a player
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,138 posts | 1082 
      Reply #1391: Feb 29, 2024 04:37:20 pm
      I thought he did very well in that position. For sure pur new Mily. There will always be a place in the squad for a team player like Joey. This may be his best year as a pro
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1392: Feb 29, 2024 07:39:21 pm
      I thought he did very well in that position. For sure pur new Mily. There will always be a place in the squad for a team player like Joey. This may be his best year as a pro

Every club needs a Joe Gomez if they want to win titles.

The Mancs had the likes of O'Shea. That player who'll play 30 odd games in a number of positions and help get you over the line.

Now Joe is a much more talented footballer than O'Shea which is event better.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1393: Feb 29, 2024 08:05:30 pm
      Every club needs a Joe Gomez if they want to win titles.

The Mancs had the likes of O'Shea. That player who'll play 30 odd games in a number of positions and help get you over the line.

Now Joe is a much more talented footballer than O'Shea which is event better.

Prior to this season id  been critical of Joe for a year plus. Verrrrry happy he's proven me very wrong this season.

It was evident very early that he looked fitter and had recovered some of his old zip. The most impressive thing for me is I can tell he went away at the end of last season and identified where he needed to improve, and where his weaknesses were. He most definitely worked hard over the summer and came back a better player than at any stage of his career here.

Well in Joe.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #1394: Feb 29, 2024 08:15:52 pm
      Gomez has always been a good player - the year we won the league he played 43 games and was solid next to VVD

He had a horrific injury which set him back and since then has struggled to get a consistent run of games

Now he has he is showing how good he is

Still think he is one of Englands best CB’s
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #1395: Feb 29, 2024 08:32:13 pm

Is that sarcasm? He was poor.

Out of position of course so I don't criticise.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 675 posts | 130 
      Reply #1396: Feb 29, 2024 08:36:47 pm
      I'll hold my hands up and admit I was part of the crew that wanted him gone in the summer but fair play to him, he looks reinvigorated and has worked his way back into the team again. Definitely the most improved player we have currently.

I get versatility is a big deal but as far as a future as a 6 goes......... :lmao: , it's a no.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #1397: Feb 29, 2024 08:41:32 pm
      I'll hold my hands up and admit I was part of the crew that wanted him gone in the summer but fair play to him, he looks reinvigorated and has worked his way back into the team again. Definitely the most improved player we have currently.

I get versatility is a big deal but as far as a future as a 6 goes......... :lmao: , it's a no.

Agree he's not a 6 and I wouldn't like to see him there too often but god to know he can cover it at a push.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1398: Feb 29, 2024 09:09:57 pm
      Prior to this season id  been critical of Joe for a year plus. Verrrrry happy he's proven me very wrong this season.

It was evident very early that he looked fitter and had recovered some of his old zip. The most impressive thing for me is I can tell he went away at the end of last season and identified where he needed to improve, and where his weaknesses were. He most definitely worked hard over the summer and came back a better player than at any stage of his career here.

Well in Joe.

I’ve always said the same thing, granted this year he’s improved but still don’t think he’s at that level some of you think. Pj got it right in his comments! Good player, at least this year he’s a massive improvement on last year.

Ps.. Billy going to give me rub down for these comments.  :lmao:
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #1399: Mar 11, 2024 10:04:36 pm

If we are going to put hands up,  I'll put both up as had written him off a long time ago.   I think it is a great credit first to him for his hard work and persistence to get back to this level, but also the work from the training staff.   Joe has had it hard, 3 horrific injuries not many players turn that around. 
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1400: Mar 20, 2024 04:21:01 pm
      Well deserved England call up for Gomez. I hope he does well in the internationals and gets himself on the plane for the Euros. He's had a terrific season and has become a proper Swiss Army Knife of a player across 4 different positions. He has stepped in and offered the versatility we previously got from Milner.

Quick Reply