Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Julian Ward to leave Liverpool role at end of season

Read 10927 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: Julian Ward to leave Liverpool role at end of season
      Reply #46: Nov 24, 2022 10:59:25 pm
      The model we had has worked so well for so many years it is certainly a worry when you see Ward moving 9n so soon as well others within the recruitment team.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #47: Nov 24, 2022 11:00:46 pm
      People jumping ship in anticipation of not surviving the result of the sale?

Hard to know what's going on, but I think it's ultimately all going to come down to who FSG end up selling up to. If it's good new owners, then sporting directors etc are replaceable (plus Jürgen can probably do a good enough job without them). What worries me more is who we end up with as our next owners. Hopefully those leaving aren't doing so cos they're better informed about that than us fans.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #48: Nov 25, 2022 01:40:58 am
      Looks like Klopp has been having more of a say in signings and contract extensions this last 12 months than previous which is probably not a good thing if you consider the Hendo and Milner extensions and his own previous signings at Dortmund.

Everything seems a bit chaotic about the club at the moment from not needing midfield reinforcements to then scrabbling before the window closed, no medical doctor to strange/odd playing formations, no wonder the season so far has been let’s say a bit underwhelming.

Not to mention that all of this is playing.out in the media.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #49: Nov 25, 2022 03:38:37 am
      People jumping ship in anticipation of not surviving the result of the sale?

Hard to know what's going on, but I think it's ultimately all going to come down to who FSG end up selling up to. If it's good new owners, then sporting directors etc are replaceable (plus Jürgen can probably do a good enough job without them). What worries me more is who we end up with as our next owners. Hopefully those leaving aren't doing so cos they're better informed about that than us fans.
      It's a valid point and it crossed my mind too, but I still don't see what type of new owner would make you resign from your job before the deal is even done. I mean, the way we've been conducting our scouting and transfer business has been pretty successful although one could argue we do need more funds. Why would a new owner scrap that and start from scratch or even try to build something different in regards to how we approach transfers when other clubs have been trying to go the way we did in that department. The most logical approach would be to keep it as is and inject more money, but why just tear it down? That's why I'm not convinced with the idea that they are leaving because of the potential new owner.

There's truly some questions that need answering and we are left in the dark. I think the only thing we can pretty much all agree on is that, from the outside, this looks pretty worrying.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #50: Nov 25, 2022 07:13:33 am
      Very bad news. Looks we are falling apart. Klopp never was a good recruiter, he cannot do the all-in-one job. Any rumors why they leave like flies lately? Maybe a sign of imminent overtake by new owners? Very worrisome and not good at all, not necessarily for this season but for the next decade.

Don't worry sweetcheeks, I'm sure it'll be easier than replacing Sadio Mane.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #51: Nov 25, 2022 07:14:14 am
      Not to mention that all of this is playing.out in the media.

No one's arsed, the World Cup's on!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #52: Nov 25, 2022 10:50:04 am
      No one's arsed, the World Cup's on!

I just mean that it's a departure from how the club have handled major developments over the past decade or so.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #53: Nov 25, 2022 02:58:24 pm
      Is a reunion with Michael Zorc on the cards for Jürgen?

This. I'm quietly thinking the same. These guys worked miracle at Dortmund and if someone going to buy LFC even they prepare to throw billions for players they better have the laser guided targets beforehand.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #54: Nov 26, 2022 09:37:42 am
      Could it not be that wherever Edwards ends up (potentially United) that he's taking his own team with him?

Happens alot when new managers come in and bring in their own backroom staff?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #55: Nov 26, 2022 10:29:49 am
      Very bad news. Looks we are falling apart. Klopp never was a good recruiter, he cannot do the all-in-one job. Any rumors why they leave like flies lately? Maybe a sign of imminent overtake by new owners? Very worrisome and not good at all, not necessarily for this season but for the next decade.

F**k me you really are a bundle of fun aren’t you , thank F**k we’re not all Bitters eh, we’d all be suicidal by f***in Xmas, you sound like a Tory has just lost his expenses claim, this ‘very bad news, and ‘we’re falling apart’ Klopp can’t multi task, our new apparent owners are worrisome and no good at all, at all, especially for the next ten years, ‘Oh my God, I can’t go on’ please somebody’s out there help me, Aarrggghhhhhhhh !!!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #56: Nov 26, 2022 12:06:59 pm
      Has anyone out there even considered that all this shuffling of the pack and ppl moving on could be a good thing, we’ve been chuntering along quite nicely the last couple of seasons and maybe, just maybe I don’t know(does anyone) that not only have we become pretty stale on the pitch, maybe it’s a bit stale off it and the inner workings need a re-build too, why does everything we change have to be all ‘Doom & Gloom’ ??

Maybe, just maybe could it be that Jürgen knows sh*t we don’t and he, under a new regime has carte blanche over who he wants coming in and not be burdened by a restrictive transfer policy, have the new potential owners already given certain assurances to Jürgen that he will get all the power he wants and all these rumblings at the mo are just simply the shifting of sand dunes ??

Of course no f**ker knows accept those closest to the action, and the less the media know the better, we’ve already seen the click bait frenzy that the ‘FSG are selling up’ news got, I like that we’re not hearing what the F**k is going on, and for me it should stay like this until FSG or whoever have something solid to report, until then it’s all f***in bullshit, speculative bullshit from those who think they know but actually f***in don’t, journo’s like Maddock, Cullis, etc who’s red top rags smell of sh*te before your eyes see the headlines,

We’ve had 12 years now of NESV or FSG as our more familiar named owners, and for the most part I’d argue they have pretty much been spot on in whatever they said they’d do, their only blots on the landscape being the rise in ticket prices fiasco and of course their very special own goal ‘Super League’ involvement, no one can answer the ‘Where would we be without them ‘ question, it’s just impossible to answer, same as, where would we be without Jürgen ? Can’t answer that one either,( we can, we just don’t want to) however if you so happen to have a couple of Brian cells that rub up against each other you should be able to concede that the last 7 seasons because of both we as a going concern have done some remarkable things,

I think FSG have earned enough stripes to warrant our trust in them, I think they will do due diligence on whoever they choose as their new investors/Partners/possible owners, yes they will make millions in profit, but so f***in what, they’ve also given us our club back, taken it from the brink of liquidation and built it up into a European giant again, allowing us a generation or two of memories the likes your grandad spoke of in the days when mullets were fish and flares were something you wore on yer legs,

Whoever takes over/invests, will obviously need to be slightly more open to potential transfers and the finances involved, I see FSG in a similar light to that of David Moores(RIP) in that they/he didn’t want/have the financial clout to compete with the Jones’s, albeit their resources being far greater than Moores was, but then so has everything else been over inflated in today’s world, in Mi££ions rather than 100’s of Thousands,
      The saddest thing is of course it’s likely but not conclusive that we will indeed end up being bank rolled, whether that be some Arab rich oligarchy or mega rich consortium who knows, I’m fairly confident whoever that is will pass the fit and proper bollocks from the head chefs & bottle washers as well as our own internal forensic examinations,

For us fans, we just want to see us challenging on all fronts for every league or cup competition possible, with the added luxury of being as equally competitive in the transfer market, we don’t need to buy our successes, buy our history, we already wear those T shirts, been wearing them for over 50 years +, the new kids on the block are making their mark, and we just need to stay with them, unfortunately, it’s the way of the world I’m sad to say, that money rules the world and in order to continue being a successful football club we need to be where it’s at !!!

Hope Over Fear !!

Y  N  W  A
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #57: Nov 26, 2022 02:03:49 pm
      Has anyone out there even considered that all this shuffling of the pack and ppl moving on could be a good thing, we’ve been chuntering along quite nicely the last couple of seasons and maybe, just maybe I don’t know(does anyone) that not only have we become pretty stale on the pitch, maybe it’s a bit stale off it and the inner workings need a re-build too, why does everything we change have to be all ‘Doom & Gloom’ ??

Maybe, just maybe could it be that Jürgen knows sh*t we don’t and he, under a new regime has carte blanche over who he wants coming in and not be burdened by a restrictive transfer policy, have the new potential owners already given certain assurances to Jürgen that he will get all the power he wants and all these rumblings at the mo are just simply the shifting of sand dunes ??

Of course no f**ker knows accept those closest to the action, and the less the media know the better, we’ve already seen the click bait frenzy that the ‘FSG are selling up’ news got, I like that we’re not hearing what the f**k is going on, and for me it should stay like this until FSG or whoever have something solid to report, until then it’s all f***in bullshit, speculative bullshit from those who think they know but actually f***in don’t, journo’s like Maddock, Cullis, etc who’s red top rags smell of sh*te before your eyes see the headlines,

We’ve had 12 years now of NESV or FSG as our more familiar named owners, and for the most part I’d argue they have pretty much been spot on in whatever they said they’d do, their only blots on the landscape being the rise in ticket prices fiasco and of course their very special own goal ‘Super League’ involvement, no one can answer the ‘Where would we be without them ‘ question, it’s just impossible to answer, same as, where would we be without Jürgen ? Can’t answer that one either,( we can, we just don’t want to) however if you so happen to have a couple of Brian cells that rub up against each other you should be able to concede that the last 7 seasons because of both we as a going concern have done some remarkable things,

I think FSG have earned enough stripes to warrant our trust in them, I think they will do due diligence on whoever they choose as their new investors/Partners/possible owners, yes they will make millions in profit, but so f***in what, they’ve also given us our club back, taken it from the brink of liquidation and built it up into a European giant again, allowing us a generation or two of memories the likes your grandad spoke of in the days when mullets were fish and flares were something you wore on yer legs,

Whoever takes over/invests, will obviously need to be slightly more open to potential transfers and the finances involved, I see FSG in a similar light to that of David Moores(RIP) in that they/he didn’t want/have the financial clout to compete with the Jones’s, albeit their resources being far greater than Moores was, but then so has everything else been over inflated in today’s world, in Mi££ions rather than 100’s of Thousands,
      The saddest thing is of course it’s likely but not conclusive that we will indeed end up being bank rolled, whether that be some Arab rich oligarchy or mega rich consortium who knows, I’m fairly confident whoever that is will pass the fit and proper bollocks from the head chefs & bottle washers as well as our own internal forensic examinations,

For us fans, we just want to see us challenging on all fronts for every league or cup competition possible, with the added luxury of being as equally competitive in the transfer market, we don’t need to buy our successes, buy our history, we already wear those T shirts, been wearing them for over 50 years +, the new kids on the block are making their mark, and we just need to stay with them, unfortunately, it’s the way of the world I’m sad to say, that money rules the world and in order to continue being a successful football club we need to be where it’s at !!!

Hope Over Fear !!

Y  N  W  A

Great post up there Billy.

Think you have it pretty much nailed in that assessment. As you have already said. we have become stale and something is clearly not right with our recruitment. We only see the end product on the field, we don't see the decisions or lack thereof that ultimately translate through to the Squad.

I am not saying i am right in my prediction here but i think all these backroom movements are aligning with the high probability of a straight sale here.

I think FSG have come to the realisation that they have taken Liverpool Football Club as far as they can.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #58: Nov 26, 2022 02:04:31 pm
      On the changed approach to recruitment front, I wonder if Diaz was the last example of the analytics-driven method, and Nunez is the first example of the new "eyeballs-driven" method.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #59: Nov 26, 2022 02:23:06 pm
      A lot of you will be familiar with the process at your own workplace. Once one individual from the higher positions in the company, decide to move on, it follows that others take on the idea that things wont be the same without them, and it has a knock on effect with others deciding to call it a day also.
      Then theres the other aspect, whereby if you are particularly good at your job, you get head hunted from other businesses. Thats a possibility, and it may not be a sporting business either.
      Whatever the outcome, Liverpool F.C. will still be here at the end of it. No body is irreplaceable ! 

Well possibly Jürgen    ;D
      Harrisimo

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #60: Nov 26, 2022 02:28:36 pm
      He's leaving at the end of this season to take a break. Not been at the helm that long so it is a surprise.  But we have time to bring in another top talent spotter. Obviously working very closely with the chief scout and his team.

Might also be time to offer Gerrard a role at the club. Might be of interest to him.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #61: Nov 26, 2022 03:02:56 pm
      Might also be time to offer Gerrard a role at the club. Might be of interest to him.

Very doubtful that he'd be interested in that position...

Besides, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, I'd rather have the most competent person for the job, rather than going with sentimentality.
      SG was an amazing player, a great leader. And he seemed to be quite smart. But he isn't a "brain", like Edwards and Ward.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #62: Nov 26, 2022 03:18:10 pm
      Could it not be that wherever Edwards ends up (potentially United) that he's taking his own team with him?

Happens alot when new managers come in and bring in their own backroom staff?

Most likely Newcastle.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #63: Nov 26, 2022 03:43:12 pm
      On the changed approach to recruitment front, I wonder if Diaz was the last example of the analytics-driven method, and Nunez is the first example of the new "eyeballs-driven" method.

I see someone has already found a quote from Diaz about one day moving on to a Spanish club.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #64: Nov 27, 2022 07:17:52 pm
      See the club doctor role filled
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #65: Nov 27, 2022 07:19:37 pm

Can he play RB too?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #66: Nov 28, 2022 07:14:12 pm
      I see someone has already found a quote from Diaz about one day moving on to a Spanish club.

Aww no. Seriously?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #67: Nov 30, 2022 07:35:49 pm
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #68: Dec 01, 2022 10:38:57 am

It’s true, he told that fella on ‘Jackanory’ he wants to manage Atleti, you heard it here first fuckers, was it Brian Cant H ? your old enough to remember Jackanory aren’t ye ?   :f_whistle: ;)

Hope over Fear !!

Quick Reply