Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Julian Ward to leave Liverpool role at end of season

Read 10931 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Julian Ward to leave Liverpool role at end of season
      Reply #69: Dec 01, 2022 02:40:00 pm

It’s true, he told that fella on ‘Jackanory’ he wants to manage Atleti, you heard it here first fuckers, was it Brian Cant H ? your old enough to remember Jackanory aren’t ye ?   :f_whistle: ;)

Hope over Fear !!

Yeah, I'm also old enough to remember how Spanish speaking players still want to play for Real and Barca!!
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #70: Feb 01, 2023 06:42:37 pm
      More than 2 months after this piece of news broke out do we have a concrete idea, fact or even a piece of fact on to what motivated him to announce his resignation so early into the job? Same question goes for director of research Ian Graham.

This story never really left my mind ever since we learned about it as nothing was ever revealed about why he is leaving and the implications this has for next summer as we are only told that ''he will leave at the end of the season''. Nothing more.

It all sounds very weird and sort of contradicting with lots of other reports like that we are supposedly all in for Bellingham in the summer. How are we planning to negotiate with BVB if the person entrusted with this job leaves at the end of the season (basically before the summer window even opens). Is there someone lined up for the job and if so when is he starting to work with Ward in order to ensure the smoothest transition possible and optimal readiness for what should be a busy summer?

Just lots of questions about a very important issue for which we only got a very brief piece of info with no explanation whatsoever as to why this is happening and what is the plan for the short term future. We are left to try and solve the puzzle on our own.

I understand the club is professionally run by competent people and that maybe this is the type of subject you stay silent about until Ward and Graham have both left and a full transition has been complete, but I just wish we were less in the dark than we are now because its just very chaotic.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #71: Feb 01, 2023 06:47:12 pm
      I don’t expect many details will come out even after they leave and a replacement comes in

The key thing now is getting a replacement in

I also have no doubt that Ward will still continue to negotiate etc
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #72: Feb 01, 2023 07:02:42 pm
      I don’t expect many details will come out even after they leave and a replacement comes in

The key thing now is getting a replacement in

I also have no doubt that Ward will still continue to negotiate etc
      i think part of the reason why he hasn't been replaced yet is that FSG might want to leave that task (or the freedom of) to whoever is going to buy the club. I highly doubt we are going to see a sale of a minority stake because everything, from a business point of view, indicates FSG is getting ready for a full sale of the club. Stuff like debt repayment being a priority or Mike Gordon taking such a big step back from day to day operations (I doubt you do that if its business as usual with someone only buying a minority stake). You'd also imagine that no one wants to sign up for a job when they know that new owners are coming in shortly (doesn't sound like the most steady position someone can sign up for).

With that said, this still sounds chaotic to me because it sounds like a ''the sooner we are sold the better it is for the club in terms of stability and readiness/flexibility'' type of situation because you want a clear vision in key roles at the club before summer comes. What I'm trying to say is that we don't want the club to be sold 2 weeks before the window opens, the new ownership starts looking to fill all those positions a week before the window, etc.

Of course, I am talking, but what do I know of multi-billion pounds takeovers of football clubs. Maybe this is not how things work out in such a sale or maybe even negotiations are ongoing right now and that type of stuff is resolved even before the sale is announced.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #73: Feb 01, 2023 07:21:36 pm
      i think part of the reason why he hasn't been replaced yet is that FSG might want to leave that task (or the freedom of) to whoever is going to buy the club. I highly doubt we are going to see a sale of a minority stake because everything, from a business point of view, indicates FSG is getting ready for a full sale of the club. Stuff like debt repayment being a priority or Mike Gordon taking such a big step back from day to day operations (I doubt you do that if its business as usual with someone only buying a minority stake). You'd also imagine that no one wants to sign up for a job when they know that new owners are coming in shortly (doesn't sound like the most steady position someone can sign up for).

With that said, this still sounds chaotic to me because it sounds like a ''the sooner we are sold the better it is for the club in terms of stability and readiness/flexibility'' type of situation because you want a clear vision in key roles at the club before summer comes. What I'm trying to say is that we don't want the club to be sold 2 weeks before the window opens, the new ownership starts looking to fill all those positions a week before the window, etc.

Of course, I am talking, but what do I know of multi-billion pounds takeovers of football clubs. Maybe this is not how things work out in such a sale or maybe even negotiations are ongoing right now and that type of stuff is resolved even before the sale is announced.

The Mike Gordon decision was imo more about then all stepping back and letting newer people take more control - they did it with the Red Sox and they wanted Hogan to take more on , it’s Hogan we hope has the good relationship with Klopp and be the new link to FSG

From our eyes it does look like a bit of a mess but I have no doubt that things will be in place , the new doctor is there now , heard some talk about the guy who was at Monaco coming in for the Football director role , seems a younger bunch taking the helm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #74: Feb 12, 2023 03:11:51 pm
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #75: Feb 12, 2023 04:24:11 pm
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #76: Feb 12, 2023 04:31:53 pm
      Seems the perfect choice

No doubt some will find negative in it

Why the perfect choice ?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #77: Feb 12, 2023 04:38:37 pm

Promoting within , someone who knows the system and the workings of the club 🤷‍♂️
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #78: Feb 12, 2023 04:39:40 pm

Because he’s apparently one of if not the leading sports analytics guys in the world. Would have been really bad to lose this guy from what I understand.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #79: Feb 12, 2023 04:40:55 pm
      Promoting within , someone who knows the system and the workings of the club 🤷‍♂️
      Doesn't necessarily  mean it will work does it as with Ward
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #80: Feb 12, 2023 04:41:34 pm
      Because he’s apparently one of if not the leading sports analytics guys in the world. Would have been really bad to lose this guy from what I understand.

Fair enough. Is he the Harvard grad ?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #81: Feb 12, 2023 04:43:04 pm

He isn’t taking Wards role 🤷‍♂️
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #82: Feb 12, 2023 04:44:09 pm
      He isn’t taking Wards role 🤷‍♂️

Didn't say he was . But was he not promoted from within who knew all the systems and processes
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #83: Feb 12, 2023 04:46:32 pm
      Didn't say he was . But was he not promoted from within who knew all the systems and processes

Yes he was - it was something we used to do with regularity and worked very well - Spearman is very well thought of when it comes to sports analytics

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #84: Feb 12, 2023 04:50:08 pm
      What didn't work with Ward? We have no clue as to why he is leaving, but the work he has done in terms of getting transfers done is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. It seems that because FSG are not spending enough people are putting everything and everyone in the same basket. He worked with the money given to him as well as the targets given to him by the manager and other staff and got the transfers done.

The only thing that didn't work with Ward is we couldn't keep him (for reasons still unknown).
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #85: Feb 12, 2023 04:53:32 pm
      What didn't work with Ward? We have no clue as to why he is leaving, but the work he has done in terms of getting transfers done is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. It seems that because FSG are not spending enough people are putting everything and everyone in the same basket. He worked with the money given to him as well as the targets given to him by the manager and other staff and got the transfers done.

The only thing that didn't work with Ward is we couldn't keep him (for reasons still unknown).

Err that was my point it didn't work as he is no longer going to be here.So it didn't work
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #86: Feb 12, 2023 04:58:17 pm
      Err that was my point it didn't work as he is no longer going to be here.So it didn't work

But it did work as he carried on Edwards good work 🤷‍♂️
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #87: Feb 12, 2023 06:27:48 pm
      Fair enough. Is he the Harvard grad ?

I believe he is yes. I hadn’t heard of him till I saw this story. So I guess fair play to the club on this one.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #88: Feb 12, 2023 09:03:54 pm

Did he though? Edwards seemed to be able to offload players no longer required for good money, Ibe, Solanke etc. We don't seem to be able to have offloaded the likes of Ox since Edwards departed, seemed to put him in the shop window but failed to conclude any deals.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #89: Feb 12, 2023 09:11:29 pm
      Did he though? Edwards seemed to be able to offload players no longer required for good money, Ibe, Solanke etc. We don't seem to be able to have offloaded the likes of Ox since Edwards departed, seemed to put him in the shop window but failed to conclude any deals.

Selling someone like Ox is always going to be tough - lots of injuries and only one year left on his contract

We got decent money for the likes of Taki and Williams in the summer
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #90: Feb 12, 2023 09:23:20 pm

I wasn't alluding to how successful he was within his stint but the longevity of the role.it didn't work out threw the towel in after how many months .As he was in the process from the beginning he may not have agreed with some changes possibly
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #91: May 04, 2023 12:01:52 pm
      So am I being paranoid or is the total radio silence on this issue worrying? I mean, we all agree this is probably going to be one of the most important and big summers in recent memory for us yet we don't know exactly when is Ward leaving and if we have anybody, let alone who exactly, lineup to take his spot. We don't know if Ward is leaving after the end of the summer window, as soon as this season is over, a set date in his contract in the middle of summer?

Considering the way this club works is that the DOF is the main cog in the transfers operation why is this issue not solved yet? Unless Ward is set to leave after the end of the window then how is the current situation acceptable? Even if we were to hire someone tomorrow, aren't they supposed to have time to adjust/adapt for the position and then more time to actually look for and identify tallent that he wants to go for, etc? Hardly sounds like something you can do and produce successful results in the space of one window unless you're being promoted from within which doesn't look likely because we would've heard of the news by now.

Anyway, I might be panicking for no reason. If so, please enlighten me.

Quick Reply