Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Julian Ward to leave Liverpool role at end of season

Read 10949 times
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Re: Julian Ward to leave Liverpool role at end of season
      Reply #92: May 04, 2023 12:33:17 pm
      Did he though? Edwards seemed to be able to offload players no longer required for good money, Ibe, Solanke etc. We don't seem to be able to have offloaded the likes of Ox since Edwards departed, seemed to put him in the shop window but failed to conclude any deals.
      It appears other teams' sporting directors spurn transfer options who possess long histories of recurrent injury issues while LFC pays up for such types.
      Naby, Thiago come to mind.
      Including Ox as an example of a "failed offloading" is possibly the dumbed take ever posted on this site
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #93: May 04, 2023 12:52:28 pm
      It appears other teams' sporting directors spurn transfer options who possess long histories of recurrent injury issues while LFC pays up for such types.
      Naby, Thiago come to mind.
      Including Ox as an example of a "failed offloading" is possibly the dumbed take ever posted on this site

What was Keitas injury record before he joined ?

Thiago was always a risk but at £20mins you get a quality player

And it’s tough to offload players if clubs are actively looking to spend a fee on them
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,138 posts | 1192 
      Reply #94: May 04, 2023 04:27:28 pm
      So am I being paranoid or is the total radio silence on this issue worrying? I mean, we all agree this is probably going to be one of the most important and big summers in recent memory for us yet we don't know exactly when is Ward leaving and if we have anybody, let alone who exactly, lineup to take his spot. We don't know if Ward is leaving after the end of the summer window, as soon as this season is over, a set date in his contract in the middle of summer?

Considering the way this club works is that the DOF is the main cog in the transfers operation why is this issue not solved yet? Unless Ward is set to leave after the end of the window then how is the current situation acceptable? Even if we were to hire someone tomorrow, aren't they supposed to have time to adjust/adapt for the position and then more time to actually look for and identify tallent that he wants to go for, etc? Hardly sounds like something you can do and produce successful results in the space of one window unless you're being promoted from within which doesn't look likely because we would've heard of the news by now.

Anyway, I might be panicking for no reason. If so, please enlighten me.

It would be somewhat paradoxical if a system designed to limit the influence of human judgment in decision making is still heavily dependent on who occupies the role of DOF. I suppose there may be differences in the way the data is interpreted, differences in emphasis etc. but the system as whole should be resilient enough to cope with a change at the top. Perhaps the task is harder now as most major clubs have access to the same level of data, employ many of the same methods and techniques, and hire very highly skilled people to analyse it.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #95: May 05, 2023 01:01:38 am
      It would be somewhat paradoxical if a system designed to limit the influence of human judgment in decision making is still heavily dependent on who occupies the role of DOF. I suppose there may be differences in the way the data is interpreted, differences in emphasis etc. but the system as whole should be resilient enough to cope with a change at the top. Perhaps the task is harder now as most major clubs have access to the same level of data, employ many of the same methods and techniques, and hire very highly skilled people to analyse it.
      I agree, but isn't that person supposed to come in, acclimatize, get time to actually do their work. The DOF is still in charge of negotiating those deals amongst other things. It's just the total radio silence paired with the fact that we've been a sh*t show in terms of management in the past year and half or so that sort of makes me worried about this specific issue.

If I had to bet, Ward is leaving after the window closes, but still, I think everybody would've appreciated at least info on when exactly he's vacating the post.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #96: May 06, 2023 09:52:08 am
      I agree, but isn't that person supposed to come in, acclimatize, get time to actually do their work. The DOF is still in charge of negotiating those deals amongst other things. It's just the total radio silence paired with the fact that we've been a sh*t show in terms of management in the past year and half or so that sort of makes me worried about this specific issue.

If I had to bet, Ward is leaving after the window closes, but still, I think everybody would've appreciated at least info on when exactly he's vacating the post.

Maybe the person targeted has to give notice to his current employers or a agreement is in place for the new fella to start from next season onwards, your paranoia is unfounded mate, all will be in hand and just because we don’t hear Jack sh*t from club doesn’t mean to say their doing Jack sh*t about it,

I like how we don’t hear rumours or whispering’s from the inner sanctum, that means no other fuckers can hear also, a throwback to how things were done before Mac had his first Mac and click bait was when you went fishing,

We haven’t been the same since Edwards binned his blackberry, Ward maybe In over his head and decided his sphericals aren’t of the required size, it’s ‘Rumoured’  😁 , that Jürgen wants to bring in a old mate of his apparently I think from his days at either Mainz 05 or BvB, his name escapes me but I guess like everything else all good things come to those who wait, personally I’d be doing a Viking raid for Brighton’s head of recruitment, he seems to have a decent eye for a player, but trust in Jürgen, he doesn’t make too many errors when it comes to staff members does he ?

YNWA
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #97: May 06, 2023 03:54:48 pm

Maybe the person targeted has to give notice to his current employers or a agreement is in place for the new fella to start from next season onwards, your paranoia is unfounded mate, all will be in hand and just because we don’t hear Jack sh*t from club doesn’t mean to say their doing Jack Sh*t about it,

I like how we don’t hear rumours or whispering’s from the inner sanctum, that means no other fuckers can hear also, a throwback to how things were done before Mac had his first Mac and click bait was when you went fishing,

We haven’t been the same since Edwards binned his blackberry, Ward maybe In over his head and decided his sphericals aren’t of the required size, it’s ‘Rumoured’  😁 , that Jürgen wants to bring in a old mate of his apparently I think from his days at either Mainz 05 or BvB, his name escapes me but I guess like everything else all good things come to those who wait, personally I’d be doing a Viking raid for Brighton’s head of recruitment, he seems to have a decent eye for a player, but trust in Jürgen, he doesn’t make too many errors when it comes to staff members does he ?

YNWA
      I sure hope you are right Billy. Nice to read a post that puts in all in perspective. I'm usually not one to panic, but this DOF thing has stuck with me ever since they announced Ward was leaving in November. The state of the squad coupled with how the season has turned sort of exacerbates the situation as in ''we need to get this summer right''.

Yeah, Jürgen doesn't often put a foot wrong and having him at the helm is huge in terms of the confidence it brings.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #98: May 06, 2023 04:29:04 pm
      I sure hope you are right Billy. Nice to read a post that puts in all in perspective. I'm usually not one to panic, but this DOF thing has stuck with me ever since they announced Ward was leaving in November. The state of the squad coupled with how the season has turned sort of exacerbates the situation as in ''we need to get this summer right''.

Yeah, Jürgen doesn't often put a foot wrong and having him at the helm is huge in terms of the confidence it brings.

Well if we get to September having spent whatever and broke even over the summer and we're as sh*te as we are now sadly the blame will fall on Jürgen. Because the system at the top is broken.

Too many that arnt good enough and need moving on. Multiple issues but sadly too many to sort in one window. And the zero help from our parasite owners makes the situation worse.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #99: May 06, 2023 10:10:00 pm
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #100: May 06, 2023 10:22:35 pm

An "ally of Klopp" says the article. Sounds like a good starting point. I'm wondering if Klopp and Ward had a falling out over transfers. If so, getting in a Klopp ally sounds good to me. (Quite happy for any tensions with Ward to have been kept within the club as well.)
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #101: May 06, 2023 10:40:11 pm
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #102: May 06, 2023 10:47:45 pm
      Loads of German people laughing at this choice so it does not fill me with hope. Apparently he's prone at falling out with managers and he has a shitty personality
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #103: May 06, 2023 10:57:45 pm
      Loads of German people laughing at this choice so it does not fill me with hope. Apparently he's prone at falling out with managers and he has a shitty personality

The fact you're slagging him off makes me inclined to think he'll be good. But then you'd slag off whoever got the job, so I guess it doesn't mean anything one way or the other.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #104: May 06, 2023 11:21:49 pm
      I remember michael Edwards getting dogs abuse on here, now he's some sort of guru. When Leicester won the league everyone was raving about their man steve Walsh  He left and where is he know ? The guy Everton got from PSV had a big reputation but did little and was soon  gone. People never learn, jumping on any prospective appointment,  they are sh*t, did this , did that. Whoever comes in, just give them a F***ing chance.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #105: May 07, 2023 12:17:15 am
      That is the end for us. Schmadtke has very regional flair, he cannot handle a world club, he never had to pick/unpick world class players, his track record for a club like 1.FC Köln in terms of choosing good players is pretty mediocre. It didnt look good when Edwards and Ward left, but now it looks detrimental.  >:(
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #106: May 07, 2023 04:39:11 am
      That is the end for us. Schmadtke has very regional flair, he cannot handle a world club, he never had to pick/unpick world class players, his track record for a club like 1.FC Köln in terms of choosing good players is pretty mediocre. It didnt look good when Edwards and Ward left, but now it looks detrimental.  >:(
      I doubt his job is to identify talent. We have a whole department who takes care of that and a manager who also has a say in it. His job, as far as I understand, is to go and get the players that have been identified by the scouting department.

Can we give him 5 minutes before we start calling it the end if the world? Big summer coming up anyway. If he's the wrong man for the job we'll know it fairly quickly.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #107: May 07, 2023 05:36:24 am
      If he's the man, give him a chance.

Do you think that Klopp would accept someone that is not suitable to work with?

Do you think that FSG knows a German guy working in the transfer market or Klopp suggested him?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #108: May 07, 2023 07:14:47 am
      I remember michael Edwards getting dogs abuse on here, now he's some sort of guru. When Leicester won the league everyone was raving about their man steve Walsh  He left and where is he know ? The guy Everton got from PSV had a big reputation but did little and was soon  gone. People never learn, jumping on any prospective appointment,  they are sh*t, did this , did that. Whoever comes in, just give them a F***ing chance.

Exactly.

Love how some people are suddenly experts on this guys when if they were honesty they'd admit they'd never heard of him until yesterday like the rest of us  ;D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #109: May 07, 2023 09:02:44 am

His main job is going to be implement Klopp's and the scouting network's plan.

Edwards made his reputation for getting deals done for us and selling really, really well (the latter being an area where Ward has failed) and that's what this new lad will mainly be judged on.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #110: May 07, 2023 11:11:31 am
      The guy hasn’t even signed on the dotted line 🤦‍♂️

How many of you actually knew about Edwards before he took on the role
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #111: May 07, 2023 12:58:29 pm
      The manager said the search for Ward's successor was "all going in the right direction".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65515555
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #112: May 07, 2023 01:29:24 pm
      The guy hasn’t even signed on the dotted line 🤦‍♂️

How many of you actually knew about Edwards before he took on the role

My main takeaway from today's comments on this thread are: "we are sh*te now" and "That is the end for us now."

I have to say, I have been disappointed in the season so far, but reading on here reminds me just how much work I need to do on my cynicism and pessimism.

We're all Doomed!!!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #113: May 07, 2023 01:39:37 pm
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #114: May 07, 2023 04:38:28 pm

Exactly. This club was already doomed when we were down 3-0 at Istanbul. There is no point being a fan, let alone come on these boards to reiterate our end of everything stance. Don’t even bother logging in henceforth. Since we’re doomed we should get a life elsewhere than hang around here. Now go get a life and be happy if this club and all of us are making your life miserable.

Quick Reply