Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Man City v Liverpool - League Cup 4th Rd (Thu 22 Dec - 8 pm)

Read 4904 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre-Match: Man City v Liverpool - League Cup 4th Rd (Thu 22 Dec - 8 pm)
      Dec 17, 2022 12:42:37 pm
      Remember in the previous round vs. Derby County, Jürgen submitted a lineup including Kelleher, Calvin Ramsay, Gomez, Nat Phillips, Ox, Stefan Bajcetic, Bobby Clark, Frauendorf, Layton Stewart and Carvalho. Given the opponent for this one, is that even a possiblity?  Premier League match with Villa four days after this one.

In these two friendlies in Dubai, Milner played at right back. Gomez and Joel were the center backs and Robbo at left back. Bajcetic, Thiago and Harvey were the midfield, with Bobby and Mo in attack, and Carvalho and Ox each starting one game at the other forward. But Darwin will be available for selection.

Jürgen hinted that Hendo and Trent could be ready to return for this, but that he probably won't be using Virgil quite yet. We know Konate will still be on a one-week break after the World Cup final played Sunday.

I mean, if we were drawn against Charlton I think we'd look at the team selection very differently, but instead we have City.

What say ye?
      « Last Edit: Dec 19, 2022 10:06:22 am by JD »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Pre-Match: Manchester City v Liverpool, League Cup 4th Rnd. (Thur 22 Dec. 8 pm)
      Reply #1: Dec 17, 2022 02:16:20 pm
      Strongest side possible. As long as we win or draw, the confidence will be back.
      Weaker side. If we get battered, we can always say it was such, and we put our strongest out a Villa.
      Villa game being the most important as we chase top 4.

Damned if you do, and damned if you don’t.

All about small margins, effort, discipline and a little bit of luck 🤷‍♂️
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Pre-Match: Manchester City v Liverpool, League Cup 4th Rnd. (Thur 22 Dec. 8 pm)
      Reply #2: Dec 17, 2022 02:24:13 pm
      Won't be the full side, can see the likes of Ali and Hendo not starting.

Either way just tw*t the manc cu*ts.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #3: Dec 17, 2022 08:07:49 pm
      Crucial Trent , Fab play this due to not having kicked a ball for over 6 weeks match wise.Would imagine Kelleher will start
      Kelleher
      Trent
      Matip
      Gomez
      Robbo
      Thiago
      Fab
      Elliott
      Darwin
      Bobby
      Mo
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #4: Dec 17, 2022 08:40:46 pm
      Really looking forward to seeing the Reds back in action on Thursday, after the World Cup break. Almost like an early Christmas present.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5: Dec 17, 2022 09:36:07 pm
      Can't see us going full strength. I think the likes of Hendo and Allison will be on the bench.

Can't see City going strong either so the sides might be balanced enough for a close game
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #6: Dec 17, 2022 09:42:31 pm
      They ain’t beaten us for a while, let’s keep it up
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Dec 18, 2022 01:50:48 am
      F**k 'em!

Let's roll these cu*ts!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #8: Dec 18, 2022 04:18:17 am
      F**k 'em!

Let's roll these Cu*ts!

The noisy neighbours in town mate.  :f_tongueincheek:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #9: Dec 18, 2022 08:39:40 am
      Well we’ve done well in the past on pens, but more recently we’ve been pretty poor.
      Let’s get this one over in the 90 mins.
      2:1 to the Red men !
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: Dec 18, 2022 12:18:51 pm
      I'm going 442...with Fab, Thiago,Milner, The Ox in midfield ...with Darwin and Mo pace up front.. Crowd them out in midfield, win possession and get it quick to the pace men..Mo & Darwin.

Hunt it down then the quick release. Smash & Grab..
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #11: Dec 18, 2022 01:42:52 pm
      Man City are by no means invincible, with Mo & Darwin upfront there is every chance of coming away with victory on Thursday.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #12: Dec 18, 2022 02:12:13 pm
      Reports Guardiola has told Mail that he'll have 4 or 5 1st team players available for this game. I don't read the Mail, full of gammon bollocks but it's on BBC rumours page.

I think maybe a few more of the starting 11 for us. I'd like to see a strong team but with 3 or 4 younger players, maybe Carvalho, Elliot, Doak, Ramsey or Bajcetic getting a start or 30mins as a sub.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #13: Dec 19, 2022 01:16:26 am
      Us 4-0
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #14: Dec 19, 2022 09:12:21 am
      we will go as strong as we can for this game, majority of players need competitive footi before the league starts again.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #15: Dec 19, 2022 10:05:31 am
      I know its against Man City but I'd be inclined to send out another youthful squad here - irrespective of how many senior players we have available.

At this very moment our immediate priority is getting back into the top four. 

If the kids can get themselves throught to the next round then that would be brilliant, but I think the first team could do without extra games in this competition.  We aren't strong enough in depth at the moment with Luis Diaz out and Jota still recovering.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Pre-Match: Man City v Liverpool - League Cup 4th Rd (Thu 22 Dec - 8 pm)
      Reply #16: Dec 19, 2022 10:31:30 am
      I know its against Man City but I'd be inclined to send out another youthful squad here - irrespective of how many senior players we have available.

At this very moment our immediate priority is getting back into the top four. 

If the kids can get themselves throught to the next round then that would be brilliant, but I think the first team could do without extra games in this competition.  We aren't strong enough in depth at the moment with Luis Diaz out and Jota still recovering.

If this game was not the 1st game back after a months break id agree, but the majority who were not at world cup will ne a proper game minimum 70mins, so he will go as strong as he can to start with, and probably bring on the younglings for last 15 or something.
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #17: Dec 19, 2022 11:29:48 am
      If this game was not the 1st game back after a months break id agree, but the majority who were not at world cup will ne a proper game minimum 70mins, so he will go as strong as he can to start with, and probably bring on the younglings for last 15 or something.

Exactly . We can't expect players to get straight back into the league game V Villa without having minutes under belt . Fab, Trent two who spring to mind .
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #18: Dec 19, 2022 12:57:07 pm
      I would expect the squad to be a mostly squas players with one or two of the first team regulars playing. So much football coming up and like JD mention priority is getting back into the top for. If I was to guess at the lineup being trotted out maybe something like this?

----------------------Kelleher------------------
      Ramsey--Gomez-----Matip----Tsimikas
      ---------Milner----Bajcetic----Ketia-----
      ------Elliott-------Nunez--------Carvalho
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #19: Dec 19, 2022 01:27:12 pm
      same team that started v Milan possibly.

Liverpool: Kelleher, Milner, Matip, Gomez, Robertson, Bajcetic, Thiago, Elliott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Salah, Firmino.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #20: Dec 20, 2022 12:02:59 am
      Let it be our premium test game before hitting PL, so play our best 11 to get them in sync. PL is much more important, so if necessary, rest players.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #21: Dec 20, 2022 09:32:33 am
                                  Ali

Trent          VVD        Matip          Robbo

Hendo     Fabinho   Thiago

Salah              Bobby               Nunez

Nothing half arsed here. We're the holders ... its city away. We go strong. End of story.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #22: Dec 20, 2022 10:10:45 am
      Nunez the only one from WC that might start.

Rest will be subs.

I think

Quick Reply