Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Sack Southgate

Southgate out
      3 (21.4%)
      Southgate in
      2 (14.3%)
      Not bothered
      9 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Gareth Southgate. Time to go?

Read 4352 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,997 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Gareth Southgate. Time to go?
      Dec 20, 2022 05:11:13 am
      Isn’t it time we moved on from this lad? I never ever thought he was good enough and I’m more convinced than ever after watching our World Cup exploits. His tactics remind me of Ole being at the wheel, he hasn’t got the technical nous to take the best on.

Annoyingly I do think England have a team that’s just about capable of winning a World Cup with the current side. Southgate under achieving with this crop in front of him for me.

I read he’s taking us the the Euros for 2024.  :f_wah: Probably get to the semi or final and get beat again. England simply not great to watch under Safegate.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Re: Gareth Southgate. Time to go?
      Reply #1: Sep 09, 2023 10:11:14 am
      Southgate sticking with Maguire in defence oh dear , headline breaking news on sky Jordan starting in midfield, wow that’s headline breaking, must be a slow news day
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,997 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2: Sep 09, 2023 10:48:00 am
      Southgate sticking with Maguire in defence oh dear , headline breaking news on sky Jordan starting in midfield, wow that’s headline breaking, must be a slow news day

What's annoying is he's stated time and time again you have to be playing in your domestic team to be considered playing for England yet these rules don't seem to apply to Maguire.  :f_doh:
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #3: Sep 09, 2023 10:59:25 am
      What's annoying is he's stated time and time again you have to be playing in your domestic team to be considered playing for England yet these rules don't seem to apply to Maguire.  :f_doh:
      It’s not just him though , he once said he’d pick players on form well he clearly doesn’t, sky stating he’s sticking with the system and players that has made them successful, last time I checked they’d won naff all , poor manager imho.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,997 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4: Sep 09, 2023 11:13:25 am
      It’s not just him though , he once said he’d pick players on form well he clearly doesn’t, sky stating he’s sticking with the system and players that has made them successful, last time I checked they’d won naff all , poor manager imho.

Hopefully gone soon and with rumours Pep might take over you'll see a better England for sure.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #5: Sep 09, 2023 02:13:00 pm
      Hopefully gone soon and with rumours Pep might take over you'll see a better England for sure.

Hahahaha won't happen!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #6: Sep 09, 2023 03:16:27 pm
      I feel robbed that I really cant enjoy watching England any more and not for sometime actually. I hope Scotland beat them and Andy scores a hatrick
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Reply #7: Sep 09, 2023 03:23:41 pm

England would have one of the last two major tournaments if they had a better manager
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,997 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #8: Sep 09, 2023 06:33:40 pm

I think we have a side capable of winning the Euro and even a World Cup, it’s only the current manager that stopping us really.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #9: Sep 09, 2023 06:40:14 pm
      I think we have a side capable of winning the Euro and even a World Cup, it’s only the current manager that stopping us really.

been saying it since 1966 the excuse was our players are knackered after a long season so what happened last December ???? we get confused by how good the league is and that is because of the likes of Mo Salah not Harry McGuire. Looking at this shower tonight they are clueless headless chickens
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #10: Sep 10, 2023 01:25:08 pm

Same argument as ever. File under Jose Mourinho, Fat Phil who used to manage Brazil and any other big name foreign manager.

The golden generation had Fabio Capello and still couldn't win.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #11: Sep 10, 2023 04:48:26 pm
      another manager media darling kept in post because he wears a nice suit. As a kid watching England was such a treat right up to Owens goal against Argentina but since Beckham made it a freak show its been embarrassing
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,564 posts | 729 
      Reply #12: Sep 13, 2023 05:29:42 pm
      Why would anyone be Southgate out? He's never lost a qualifier and has done better than any England manager since 1966. What's the problem?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,997 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #13: Sep 13, 2023 06:56:59 pm
      Why would anyone be Southgate out? He's never lost a qualifier and has done better than any England manager since 1966. What's the problem?

What’s he won us if he’s the best since 66? He fcuked it against France, not forgetting we had a dream run to the semis. Simple truth he’s under performing a team full of stars for thier respective clubs.

Question? Is Southgate better than Pep & Klopp?
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #14: Sep 13, 2023 07:24:22 pm
      What’s he won us if he’s the best since 66? He fcuked it against France, not forgetting we had a dream run to the semis. Simple truth he’s under performing a team full of stars for thier respective clubs.

What did he ever do to warrant the job in the first place , you only have to look at how many games he’s won against top opponents, sure he beats mediocre teams , but he’s way too defensive minded .
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,997 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #15: Sep 13, 2023 09:37:52 pm
      What did he ever do to warrant the job in the first place , you only have to look at how many games he’s won against top opponents, sure he beats mediocre teams , but he’s way too defensive minded .

Done nothing to warrant the job, he was just in the right place at the right time. Not sure he could even manage the PL top 10 teams. All the FA are doing is delaying the inevitable and if we do go on to win this comp there’s no way they will get rid of him for the WC.

Don’t like his style of football either and as you rightly point out to defensively. With our attacking force we should have a high press.

Against the big teams he’s always been caught out with his negative tactics. It’s alright people pointing out he’s not lost a qualifier but who have we won that’s decent? Not for me, if it means losing out on the Euros to get rid of him I’d consider it. 😂
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,564 posts | 729 
      Reply #16: Sep 13, 2023 10:06:34 pm

What’s he won us if he’s the best since 66?

This is a red herring. There are only 2 things you can win in world football and guaranteeing that you 'win something' at international is almost impossible.

He fcuked it against France, not forgetting we had a dream run to the semis.

We have had lots of managers that lost to the likes of Romania and Iceland. Losing to France is nothing to be ashamed of in context, we were unlucky. And even if he made the changes IN YOUR OPINION he should have made, there is still no guarantee we would have won that game, thats not how life or football works.

Simple truth he’s under performing a team full of stars for thier respective clubs.

We've had just as many 'big name' players and so called Elite managers (sven, capello) and still did not perform.

Please have some perspective and be less reactionary.

No, but so what? Who is? What does that have to do with the England team?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #17: Sep 13, 2023 10:09:49 pm
      Haha who cares 🤷‍♂️
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,997 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #18: Sep 13, 2023 10:36:06 pm

No, but so what? Who is? What does that have to do with the England team?

So what ? 😂 Well if you don’t know the answer to that one then there’s nothing  I can do/say  that will ever change your mind. 🤷‍♂️
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,564 posts | 729 
      Reply #19: Sep 14, 2023 12:20:17 am
      So what ? 😂 Well if you don’t know the answer to that one then there’s nothing  I can do/say  that will ever change your mind. 🤷‍♂️

I mean he’s not better than Klopp or Pep but who is?

Do we want him out because he’s not Pep or Klopp?

He’s still doing, and done well for this England team.

If the biggest indictment on a manager is that they aren’t Pep or Klopp, then sack everyone.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,997 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #20: Sep 14, 2023 08:05:16 am
      I mean he’s not better than Klopp or Pep but who is?

Do we want him out because he’s not Pep or Klopp?

He’s still doing, and done well for this England team.

If the biggest indictment on a manager is that they aren’t Pep or Klopp, then sack everyone.

How long Safegate! be in charge?  7 years is the answer How long do you think he would of lasted in the PL winning nothing?

It’s not saying much is it he’s doing well yet won nothing, your debate has no foundation for trying to see your side of things.

However!!! We might agree on the next question if you give me  YES or NO answer?

Would Pep or Klopp improve England?
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2023 01:59:44 pm by Keith Singleton »
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 298 
      Reply #21: Sep 14, 2023 09:08:08 am
      How long Safegate! be in charge?  7 years is the answer How long do you think he would of lasted in the PL winning nothing?

It’s not saying much is it he’s doing well yet won nothing, you’ve debate has no foundation for trying to see your side of things.

However!!! We might agree on the next question if you give me  YES or NO answer?

Would Pep or Klopp improve England?

Obviously Pep or Klopp would improve England but neither of them is going to become England manager. It would be good if Pep left City for the England job but we don't want Klopp to leave Liverpool.

I think Southgate has done a reasonably good job, he's the most successful manager in many years, we could argue that he's got better players than some of his predecessors but I don't think that they are much better. The 'golden generation' won nothing. In the 70s when English clubs were winning the European cup almost every year England could not even qualify for tournaments.

I think England are in a similar position to Tottenham with Potchetino, successful but missing out on the trophies. Were Tottenham right to sack Potch? I think most of us would say it was a mistake.

When a manager has been in a job for a long time there will always be fans who want to make a change because they believe that the grass will be greener, I personally don't think England would improve if they replaced Southgate with 1 of the other realistic alternatives.

I don't think he's perfect and there are plenty of decisions that can be criticised but he should definitely be the manager for the European championship.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 298 
      Reply #22: Sep 14, 2023 09:11:56 am
      I'd also add that England were lucky to win the world cup in 66 and people should not get so obsessed with that tournament as the norm for England.

They obviously had the advantage of being at home, the best player- Pele was kicked out of the tournament and England had a lot of luck and dodgy decisions, most famously from the Russian lineman.

Quick Reply