Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Alisson Becker
      3 (4.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      4 (5.7%)
      Joel Matip
      4 (5.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      21 (30%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      4 (5.7%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (7.1%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      14 (20%)
      Mohammed Salah
      10 (14.3%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      4 (5.7%)
      Ben Doak
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: Dec 30, 2022 07:26:53 pm

Aston Villa 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 7471 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Aston Villa 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Dec 26, 2022 07:48:51 pm
      this is still looking like a looong season.

Definitely if you are going to keep posting negative sh*t in winning match threads.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #300: Dec 26, 2022 07:50:37 pm
      Before those subs we were literally on our knees, was hard to watch.

But 3 good goals away from home - happy days!

3 wins on the bounce, absolutely brilliant
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #301: Dec 26, 2022 07:50:44 pm
      A tough side riding high with a new manager at home and we beat them 3-1.

Think some are getting a little bit spoiled trying to pick apart this performance too much.

Thought we got back control when Keita came in, he inserted some steel into our midfield. Robertson motm for me. He seemed to be everywhere today.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #302: Dec 26, 2022 08:30:20 pm
      Darwin's instinct is brilliant but when he thinks about stuff, he's is not the best and takes too much touches.

Robertson was on fire and VVD/Matip were good too.

3 points in the bag.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #303: Dec 26, 2022 08:38:58 pm
      I like Nunez: he's fast, he plays direct, i.e. tries to shoot asap, and he is a danger with his head, i.e. finally crosses make sense while for years I aksed why bc we only had (comparably) small guys in the middle. He'll be a worldwide top 3 striker in 2 years....
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #304: Dec 26, 2022 08:53:51 pm
      I will take a 3  1 win away to Aston Villa anyday, besides it gained me 7 points in the  prediction  league, well done !
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #305: Dec 26, 2022 09:01:40 pm
      Good first half, they really took it to us for the first 15 mins of the second half. We bend but didn't break and eventually got the 3rd goal needed to take the pressure off.

Considering how poor we been away from home it is nice to see us grind out a result. Next in the game should be easy considering how poor Lecister City has been playing but we know how teams like to turn up vs us
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #306: Dec 26, 2022 10:06:17 pm
      Good win today. I thought we were very sharp on the ball 8n the first half but then let them get on top of us in the 2nd half until Klopp made the changes. We created a bunch of chances but always looked like we might concede. Just need to pull a run together to push for the top four. I thought Robertson was back to his best, Salah looked very sharp and Nunez was full of industry (without the composure to finish one himself). Was great to see a couple of the youngsters get on, they both did very well.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #307: Dec 26, 2022 10:40:49 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Of course you did mate  ;D

That's how I read it anyway.

Get the fuckkkkkk innnn u rippers...how good do both Bacjetic (probs spelled that wrong)  and Ben Doak look? Future looks bright.

Onwards and Upwards lads.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #308: Dec 27, 2022 09:21:35 am
      3 points, youngsters bossing it, and a signing. What a day
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #309: Dec 27, 2022 10:00:51 am
      Playing away from home, there's gonna be periods when the home side get a foothold in the game and see a lot of the ball. With the crowd behind them, Villa upped their energy second half and did dominate for a while.During that period, i expect them to create chances, but not like the way they opened us up so easily. Thank F**k none of them had any composure in front of goal. Not sure whats caused us to become so vulnerable at the back, don't think anyone is. Could it be the midfield getting left behind in transition when we lose the ball upfield and the long ball cuts them out ? On one occasion out centre backs were so far apart, there was an acre of space to run into. Scared the sh*t out of me, and whats worrying is, it happens at least once a game.

Is it the midfield passed over, or the back four all out of position ? Gotta get it sorted or games against better finishers are gonna put a downer on our quest for top 4.
      Glad to see we've signed another striker to cover our injuries, and a half decent one at that. Another good option going forward. Just a decent centre mid now, who's not injury prone. Keita done well yesterday, calm, simple use of the ball, keeping possession and feisty in winning the ball back. He made a difference but I was worried how long he might last.
      Leicester at ours up next, then away o Brentford. Two tricky games, lets hope we can keep the wins going.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #310: Dec 27, 2022 10:53:41 am
      Great win. Robbo on fire. One of these games nunez is gonna score a hat trick. Getting and making chances is main thing.

Brilliant seeing the young bucks get some game time.

Next. Ynwa
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #311: Dec 27, 2022 11:24:21 am
      3 points and the reds looked good for the majority.
      Great subs by Klopp, Villa we're putting us under good pressure but Naby and Elliott changed the game.
      Bajcetic will be buzzing after his 1st goal
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #312: Dec 27, 2022 11:26:25 am
      Our defence still make errors, but as long as we out score the opposition, all well and good. Nice to see Bajcetic scoring !
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #313: Dec 27, 2022 11:29:47 am
      Liked the result but its still a very chaotic style of play we are using this season. Took them to score for Klopp to make 2 subs for instruction to keep hold of the ball more to hit home.

At times we go from front to back in far too few passes and it means we are either trying to score straight away or we are pinned back defending with very little respite.

The control that we have when we are at our beat just isn't there this season. Makes for basketball style stuff and means we are dependent on the opposition missing or Alisson saving us.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #314: Dec 27, 2022 11:37:24 am
      Playing away from home, there's gonna be periods when the home side get a foothold in the game and see a lot of the ball. With the crowd behind them, Villa upped their energy second half and did dominate for a while.During that period, i expect them to create chances, but not like the way they opened us up so easily. Thank f**k none of them had any composure in front of goal. Not sure whats caused us to become so vulnerable at the back, don't think anyone is. Could it be the midfield getting left behind in transition when we lose the ball upfield and the long ball cuts them out ? On one occasion out centre backs were so far apart, there was an acre of space to run into. Scared the sh*t out of me, and whats worrying is, it happens at least once a game.

Is it the midfield passed over, or the back four all out of position ? Gotta get it sorted or games against better finishers are gonna put a downer on our quest for top 4.
      Glad to see we've signed another striker to cover our injuries, and a half decent one at that. Another good option going forward. Just a decent centre mid now, who's not injury prone. Keita done well yesterday, calm, simple use of the ball, keeping possession and feisty in winning the ball back. He made a difference but I was worried how long he might last.
      Leicester at ours up next, then away o Brentford. Two tricky games, lets hope we can keep the wins going.
      All teams have to deal with their midfield being penetrated otherwise there would be no need for a defence, Our defence has been off it this season, most notable because we've been fortress-like for years. If we're going to go on a winning run (and we need to) then we have to shape up at the back, we're getting cut open far too easily.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #315: Dec 27, 2022 12:56:53 pm
      Good performance. Didn't put them to the sword after going 2 up. Credit to them. Darwin again a threat and the sending off aside he's coming along nicely. The Ox did OK. And Doak and Bajcetic did some good stuff.

Revving up for the campaign.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #316: Dec 27, 2022 01:28:54 pm
      Yeah the other point was WTF was that from Trent...that pass from the outside of his boot into the space for Robbo to run on to. I mean that was 100% World Class Gareth. Trent saw the space before Robbo started his run and dropped the ball within millimetres of the spot he was aiming for.

Whatever they're paying him...it's not enough..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #317: Dec 27, 2022 02:13:05 pm
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #318: Dec 27, 2022 02:48:27 pm
      The way Nunez volleyed that long ball over the top was brilliant. Was difficult to get on to the ball and make that connection. Seen people laugh at him hitting it straight at the keeper, but the impressive part was he hit it!

But other parts of his game were lacking finishing ability again. Assist was nice.. just glad it was him providing the ball not receiving it to score ;)
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #319: Dec 27, 2022 07:19:31 pm
      Saw the highlights, not the full game, so can't tell much.
      In general seemed like we played with good pace, and hit more decent early longish balls for fast lads like Mo and Darwin to run onto, deffo what we should be doing.
      No doubt Darwin is fast, but still in one-on-ones with keeper finishing is poor, a lot of times doesn't even make the keeper work/hit the target. Still early, but for the money paid, would have expected more goals per number of good chances he gets. Maybe it will come. Jury still out.
      Villa had a shedload of really good chances and could easily have 3 or 4 more if they had someone up front who could hit a barn door. Defensively still coughing up chances, the ones yest would be punished by better teams.
      But still, 3 points, 3 goals, lot of players available and the moral looks good. Fingers crossed we can keep it going.

See we've signed another striker. Not sure why we aren't focusing on a midfielder, but maybe that's happening behind the scenes. Lot of talk we'll do something in Jan, and to get CL we might have to.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #320: Dec 27, 2022 09:23:07 pm
      Just watching MOTD form last night.

That first goal really was a beauty. Even better watching the day after.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #321: Dec 27, 2022 10:14:36 pm
      Gave Trent MOTM for an outstanding first half. Robbo would have been the other contender.

We were good going forward but too open at the back again. That spell at the start of the second half was interesting - we were getting completely overrun, Jürgen subs on Keita and Elliot for Thiago and Ox and we instantly became more solid defensively, and kept the ball better and got our composure back. Thought the Keita for Thiago sub was the key one. Great though he can be, Thiago, I think he's been a weak link for us this year - too many flash, high risk passes in our half, encouraging the opposition, and dives in too much defensively instead of sprinting back to cover.

Can't believe Darwin got MOTM from Andy Townsend. Fair enough, he did keep going, and I agree that is the most important thing for a striker - just keep making the runs, buying a ticket, and the goals will come. (I always thing of Inzaghi as the ultimate example of that.) So yeah it is encouraging for the future that Darwin has the appetite and belief to keep doing that, but no way was he the best player on the park last night.

Bacjetic took his goal reallly well, looks very composed for his age. With him and Morton, we do have a couple of promising young DMs in the making. Good to see youth getting a chance - think Jürgen is quietly rejuvenating the squad (maybe not so quietly if Gakpo and another arrive this window).

There was more energy and running in the team than earlier in the season (Fabinho looked better than he has in a while, Darwin did put in a shift up front), so overall a good 3 points and encouraging signs. But still a fair bit to improve on the defensive side.

Quick Reply