Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)

Read 26440 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)
      Reply #23: Dec 27, 2022 09:15:55 am
      Still no official announcement from us.

Diego, in a desperate attempt to make this thread before me, has moved too early and probably should be banned from the forum.

Little f**ker even WhatsApped me the link to the thread
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24: Dec 27, 2022 09:20:48 am
      PSV confirmed the sale: https://www.psv.nl/nieuwspagina/artikel/psv-verkoopt-gakpo-aan-liverpool-fc.htm

PSV SELLS GAKPO TO LIVERPOOL FC
      PSV and Liverpool FC have reached an agreement on the proposed transfer of Cody Gakpo. The 23-year-old attacker will leave for England imminently where he will be subjected to the necessary formalities ahead of the completion of the transfer. Both clubs are not making any announcements about the transfer fee. "But this is a record transfer for PSV," said general manager Marcel Brands.

The PSV management completed the negotiations on Boxing Day and gave Gakpo permission to travel to England

https://twitter.com/PSV/status/1607495528580890625?t=2cgX59WPSCH2Lqu0nuX3aw&s=19

Hopefully no hiccup on the medical. No wall lean yet though, Diego 🤣
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #25: Dec 27, 2022 10:12:54 am
      In a ideal world hell yeah  :lmao:

Would you class Gakpo as a priority signing? Hell I wouldnā€™t if I wore the shirt.  ;D Give me two midfielders any day unless youā€™ve got buckets loads to spend.

Iā€™ve still not made my mind up with Darwin.

Diaz, Jota & Salah absolutely.

I think it's a good signing and is a priority for us ATM. We need someone to add depth to the squad in the front 3 positions due to injuries. I'd rather have Gakpo than another short term loan. If everyone is fit we have a big squad, possibly to big to keep everyone happy, but-
      1-We appear to be incapable of keeping everyone fit.
      2-In the summer we will lose older players from the squad, probably 2, 3 or all of Keita, Ox, Bobby and Milner. Next season we will have a young and deep squad.

We probably need top 4 this season if we are going to get Bellingham or another midfielder of similar quality in the summer. Gakpo makes top 4 more likely IMO.  I don't necessarily expect him to have the impact of Diaz last year but he will probably add some quality. If we can get Bellingham in the summer we will have a very good squad. I'd be very surprised if he came in the Jan window, I think BVB definitely will not sell and trying to push them to much may sour the relationships.
      Maybe with Bajcetic coming through we only need 1 top quality midfielder and the club thinks there is money to spend on Gakpo?

I'm a bit concerned that we will be weak in midfield for the rest of the season but IF Ox, Keita and other players can stay fit we should be ok.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #26: Dec 27, 2022 10:33:41 am
      For those saying what about midfield, why are we buying an attacker, how do you know we arenā€™t working on a deal(s) for midfield as well? 
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #27: Dec 27, 2022 11:19:42 am
      Welcome to the mighty reds Cody.
      I hope to see you score lots of goals and win lots of trophies
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #28: Dec 27, 2022 11:29:41 am
      Seems to be a bit of a mixed reaction on social media to this one. Not watched him bar the two knockout games he played for the Netherlands where he looked poor but of course you canā€™t judge a player based off just that.

Iā€™m just glad weā€™ve been proactive here and made an early move for an attacker because I couldnā€™t have seen us but the run together we need with the likes of Ox or Carvalho playing LW for the next two months.

Stick him in a Klopp team where chances are plenty - should see him flourish!
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #29: Dec 27, 2022 11:31:47 am
      Is it even official yet?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #30: Dec 27, 2022 11:32:41 am

No announcement from Liverpool yet. PSV confirmed transfer is done from a club perspective.

Think just a medical now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #31: Dec 27, 2022 11:48:10 am
      Still no official announcement from us.

Diego, in a desperate attempt to make this thread before me, has moved too early and probably should be banned from the forum.

Little f**ker even WhatsApped me the link to the thread

I'm taking Gary Lineker"s "advanced talks" on Motd as the deal is gonna get done. Not often  we get footy news from Big Ears.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #32: Dec 27, 2022 11:52:40 am
      Makes me wonder if new deal for Firmino isn't going to happen or Klopp changed his approach about signing play to fix a short term problem because when everyone if fit we have a lot of bodies up top.

As for the play he looks decent during the World Cup, versatile which is always a good option to have when rotating and lot of good reviews from what I read from PSV supporters on reddit.

One thing for sure is he will be thrown into the fire since we are short bodies and fixtures coming thick and fast.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #33: Dec 27, 2022 12:51:19 pm
      Noticed him in the WC but didn't think we would sign him. Primarily a left sided player. May be the Diaz injury forced the issue. Will allow Darwin to stay central. Good option even when Diaz recovers. Going up a serious notch though and it might take time to adjust etc.

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2022 01:03:13 pm by Harrisimo »
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #34: Dec 27, 2022 02:42:45 pm
      I think, from watching the past few games we played (including a few before the break), its all pretty fluid in the forwards department. At times you will see Nunez move from LW to the center, then you see Mo do the same. Yesterday I also saw Ox move quite a bit. I think Gakpo will probably do the same and we'll see him and Nunez swap positions quite often during games. There's moments in some of our games where we switched to a 2 forwards system for 20-30 minutes and that could also be interesting with the type of player that Gakpo is.

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #35: Dec 27, 2022 04:41:37 pm
      Very very excited at this move. Kid early impressed me at the WC and looks mighty versatile. Tall too. This may spell the end for Bobby though 😔. 

Gives us a ton of attacking options, and enables us to allow Diaz and Jota to truly recover and not rush them back too quickly, risking further injuries
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #36: Dec 27, 2022 07:40:32 pm
      With both injuries and the likely nearing exit of Firmino we definitely needed another striking option.

Just need the three up top to stay fit now until the injured lads return.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #37: Dec 27, 2022 08:39:27 pm
      Totally out of blue this signing isn't it. I'm happy with this. When everyone is fit he is a top class option from the bench but then when do we have a fully fit squad. Left side Diaz and Gakpo, Nunez, Bobby and Diogo through the middle Salah and dare I say it Doak right side options. We need bodies..
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #38: Dec 27, 2022 09:04:19 pm
      Exciting news for club and player, welcome to LFC Cody.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #39: Dec 27, 2022 09:24:08 pm
      Haven't seen much of him apart from the World Cup but anyone who isn't happy about signing young exciting forwards then football isn't for you
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #40: Dec 27, 2022 10:39:12 pm
      Another unfinished product. Has still baby fat in his face which does not speak for his athletism. As usual Iā€˜ll stay pessimistic.

Sorry but what sort of ā€œfinishedā€ product would you prefer the club to buy 🙄
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1631 
      Reply #41: Dec 27, 2022 10:40:07 pm
      Another unfinished product. Has still baby fat in his face which does not speak for his athletism. As usual Iā€˜ll stay pessimistic.

At 23/24 they are hardly going to be anything other than an unfinished product
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #42: Dec 27, 2022 11:04:14 pm

I think the suggestion 'give your head a good wobble' may assist.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #43: Dec 27, 2022 11:46:47 pm
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #44: Dec 28, 2022 12:44:09 am
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #45: Dec 28, 2022 12:48:26 am
      Sorry but what sort of ā€œfinishedā€ product would you prefer the club to buy 🙄

Haaland or Mbappe. Unfinished products are ok, City does it too, but once in a while you have to buy a franchise player (if you do not happen to get him for free like we did with Stevie). But as long as we are not owned by Sheikhs it is ok I guess to buy young raw players in hope to make them superstars and so to avoid to overpay.

Quick Reply