Trending Topics

Next match: Arsenal v LFC [Friendly] Thu 1st Aug @ 12:30 am
      Lincoln Financial Field

Today is the 27th of July and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W3 D4 L3

Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)

Read 36832 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,399 posts | 3541 
      Re: Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)
      Reply #230: Dec 18, 2023 12:44:37 pm
      So there is a huge pile on onto the players today then

Diaz
      Endo
      Gakpo
      Nunez

Anyone escape ?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,244 posts | 4422 
      Reply #231: Dec 18, 2023 12:50:20 pm

Diaz
      Endo
      Gakpo
      Nunez

Anyone escape ?

What are the player threads for? It’s to discuss their performance and form.

No one has disrespected them.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,582 posts | 6459 
      Reply #232: Dec 18, 2023 12:54:20 pm

Diaz
      Endo
      Gakpo
      Nunez

Anyone escape ?

Maybe go touch some grass....the inside world may be too much for you to handle. Get a grip and loosen up lad.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,399 posts | 3541 
      Reply #233: Dec 18, 2023 01:11:15 pm
      What are the player threads for? It’s to discuss their performance and form.

No one has disrespected them.

It’s typical social media fan behaviour- as soon as a result doesn’t go their way the toys come flying out and all those players that got us challenging for trophies are now not good enough.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,244 posts | 4422 
      Reply #234: Dec 18, 2023 01:18:28 pm
      It’s typical social media fan behaviour- as soon as a result doesn’t go their way the toys come flying out and all those players that got us challenging for trophies are now not good enough.

Stop making up stuff, posters are saying players need to improve, esp Nunez and Diaz because they are better than what they have been serving up, besides which of the 4 you mentioned have had us challenging?
      Endo I don’t think will get any better.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,629 posts | 5034 
      Reply #235: Dec 18, 2023 01:27:25 pm
      He needs a run of games for me to get into some sort of rhythm.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,399 posts | 3541 
      Reply #236: Dec 18, 2023 01:50:29 pm
      Stop making up stuff, posters are saying players need to improve, esp Nunez and Diaz because they are better than what they have been serving up, besides which of the 4 you mentioned have had us challenging?
      Endo I don’t think will get any better.

There are plenty of posts from posters claiming “x player” isn’t good enough

And all those players have played their part in the team challenging for trophies
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,346 posts | 1133 
      Reply #237: Dec 18, 2023 03:41:57 pm
      Nunez has had a run of games and though he may affect them, he hasn't exactly taken his chance by the scruff of the neck.

I'd like to see Gakpo get a run now. Perhaps his link up play could help the midfield and get Diaz and Salah more involved in and around the box. He hasn't been great as of late, but tbf, he hasn't been playing with the first 11 very often either
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #238: Dec 18, 2023 05:56:07 pm
      Gakpo in between Salah and Jota is our best 3. He needs a run of games. Unfortunately with Salah off to afcon and Jota injured it may be February before we can field our best 3 together.

Gakpo links well with midfield in the false 9 enabling Mo and Jota to attack more centrally and the full backs to push right up. He's an intelligent player ... needs a run to truly show what he can do.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,629 posts | 5034 
      Reply #239: Dec 18, 2023 10:41:07 pm
      Gakpo in between Salah and Jota is our best 3. He needs a run of games. Unfortunately with Salah off to afcon and Jota injured it may be February before we can field our best 3 together.

Gakpo links well with midfield in the false 9 enabling Mo and Jota to attack more centrally and the full backs to push right up. He's an intelligent player ... needs a run to truly show what he can do.

I think for the next few games we need to settle in Gakpo in the middle with Nunez and Salah left and right.

Agree that Salah Jota and Gakpo is our strongest front three. Problem is Gakpo hadn't nailed that place

Definitely feel he needs a run if games.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 2186 
      Reply #240: Dec 23, 2023 07:51:49 pm
      When Mo goes to ACN, he'll either step up properly or expose himself badly. At the moment, I don't see much hope that he'll be able to step up. Simply does not look up to standard.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,244 posts | 4422 
      Reply #241: Dec 23, 2023 10:11:34 pm
      Decent squad player but you wouldn’t describe him as elite and he certainly is no striker.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,346 posts | 1133 
      Reply #242: Dec 24, 2023 03:02:10 am
      Decent squad player but you wouldn’t describe him as elite and he certainly is no striker.
      There was a play where Mo wanted him to make the run around the 6 yard box, and he didn't read it until it was too late. I like the kid, and I feel for him, in that he's ask to do things he wasn't brought in to do. But I can't give criticism to Diaz then ignore the fact that he's playing under par.

Needs to pick it up big time while Mo is gone. Stop getting bullied off the ball, make the runs into space, and finish.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,249 posts | 851 
      Reply #243: Dec 24, 2023 10:16:16 am

best way to describe him - decent, good option off the bench.

my god we need to revamp our attack asap. We haven't seriously replaced Mane and Firmino
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,078 posts | 549 
      Reply #244: Dec 24, 2023 01:21:59 pm
      Was fairly quiet yesterday. But Arsenal had Jesus playing a similar role for them and Gakpo was a lot more involved than him.

He actually did well in the air yesterday, a few good flick ons, including a really good one that set Mo up for a chance he sliced wide. I thought we missed him a bit when he went off, cos the ball wasn't sticking up front as well with Mo through the middle. Thought it was a factor in us losing the control of possession that we'd had in the second half up to that point.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,766 posts | 865 
      Reply #245: Dec 24, 2023 01:40:15 pm
      best way to describe him - decent, good option off the bench.

my god we need to revamp our attack asap. We haven't seriously replaced Mane and Firmino
      I was going to post a question in the January transfer thread asking if our priority isn't between a full-back and/or a striker rather than a midfielder. The way I'm looking at it, Endo is adapting more and more and he's doing the job, our defensive record isn't exactly the problem despite us often allowing the first goal. The problem, in recent times have been us not being able to finish games.

In that context, would it be outlandish to say that adding a striker who will give us between 8 and 12 goals in the league from January to the end of the season a bad bet? Of course, its easier said than done bringing in a player you can confidently say ''he will score goals'', but I think its doable and it would help us a whole lot more than a CDM or another CB would in the context of this season.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,078 posts | 549 
      Reply #246: Dec 24, 2023 01:49:11 pm
      I was going to post a question in the January transfer thread asking if our priority isn't between a full-back and/or a striker rather than a midfielder. The way I'm looking at it, Endo is adapting more and more and he's doing the job, our defensive record isn't exactly the problem despite us often allowing the first goal. The problem, in recent times have been us not being able to finish games.

In that context, would it be outlandish to say that adding a striker who will give us between 8 and 12 goals in the league from January to the end of the season a bad bet? Of course, its easier said than done bringing in a player you can confidently say ''he will score goals'', but I think its doable and it would help us a whole lot more than a CDM or another CB would in the context of this season.

Don't think we need a striker. Between them, Gakpo, Nunez n Jota should give us enough through the middle.

With Mo off for Afcon, could definitely make a case for another winger though. Probably depends whether we think he's off in the summer or not. If so, I'd look for his replacement now, might as well. If not, we'll probably stick with Elliot n Doak as back ups til he returns.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 129 
      Reply #247: Dec 24, 2023 01:52:18 pm
      Don't think we need a striker. Between them, Gakpo, Nunez n Jota should give us enough through the middle.

With Mo off for Afcon, could definitely make a case for another winger though. Probably depends whether we think he's off in the summer or not. If so, I'd look for his replacement now, might as well. If not, we'll probably stick with Elliot n Doak as back ups til he returns.

Docks out injured   requires surgery so he's not coming back for a while.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,078 posts | 549 
      Reply #248: Dec 24, 2023 02:24:37 pm
      Docks out injured   requires surgery so he's not coming back for a while.

Yeah, wasn't sure when he was back. Still think we'll not go for a winger unless we think Mo is off in the summer. Which probably makes sense.

If we think he is off in the summer though, I'd be looking this window.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,766 posts | 865 
      Reply #249: Dec 24, 2023 03:00:03 pm

The reason I mention a striker rather than a winger is that I don't think you'll find a winger who can give you 8 to 12 goals from January till the end of the season, let alone what Mo gives you in terms of goal input. If we're thinking ''tittle push'' and reinforcement for the current season in the form of more goals then you're more likely to find those goals in a striker than a winger. Most wingers are not like what Mo, Mane and Jota are/were. We see and saw that with Diaz and Gakpo as well as a bunch of other players in the league.

The other problem with buying a RW is that as soon as Mo is back from AFCON you just have a perpetual body on your bench because Mo starts and finish about 90% of our games. Unless the club knows for a fact Mo is out come summer time then buying another RW is not way to go as far as I'm concerned. It's that type of situation where all you can do is scout for replacements, but only act on it once we know for sure Mo is leaving.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,346 posts | 1133 
      Reply #250: Jan 03, 2024 09:57:00 pm
      Cody is a player I like, I've made no qualms about supporting the guys I like through the years (Robbo, Jota, etc). I thought Cody made sense as a CF as he liked to come deep and his vision seemed above par to set up others from the middle. He hasn't flourished there. He hasn't done all the great in the MF either. However, he looks good on that LW. And that's what he was before he came here. I thought his lack of pace would hurt him there, however, and though it might, he definitely gets more space, and like many, he seems to thrive with that extra half second, especially since he's probably the least quick of all our big 5 forwards. On the wing he seems to have time to put balls in space and utilize his passing and vision. He also seems to read his runs better from there, too.....

I really like the Gakpo, Jota, Salah front 3. Hope Cody uses this time with Mo gone to cement a place
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,766 posts | 865 
      Reply #251: Jan 12, 2024 05:31:33 am
      Not much is said about him, but he's having a pretty good season as far as I'm concerned. 9 goals and 3 assists in 27 appearances this season with only 16 of those coming as starts. If you add that to the fact that he's being used as a midfielder a lot of the time and can often be asked to play 2, 3 or sometimes 4 different positions inside the same game and I think it's clear the manager likes him a lot.

The only time I was frustrated at his performance this season was that game at home against United when he came on with a fixation for scoring a belter and kept giving away the ball cheaply. Other than that, I think he's been very useful for us. Uses his frame well to guard the ball, neat passer, good shot from outside the box, quite pacy for his size and body type, good with both feet and very versatile.

Cherry on the cake is that the lad is only 24. Plenty of time to develop into something truly special.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #252: Jan 12, 2024 11:15:47 am
      He's a good footballer, good game intelligence and a good finisher. And plenty of time to get better. Forms part of our 'best 3' imo in between salah and Jota.

But we've 5 great options for sure.

Loved his finish against Fulham. Took it beautifully.

Quick Reply