Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)

Read 28830 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Re: Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)
      Reply #299: Mar 11, 2024 10:00:53 am
      The likes of Karius Poulsen Konchesky Diouf Carroll were all "one of our own" once upon a time as well, didn't stop me (or many others for that matter) yelling how F***ing useless they were either.

Gakpo has proved himself plenty of times

To even put his name amongst those shows how little you really donā€™t understand about the club
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 155 
      Reply #300: Mar 11, 2024 10:05:27 am
      Gakpo has proved himself plenty of times

To even put his name amongst those shows how little you really donā€™t understand about the club

Get with the times LiP. Those names are only there to counter argue the "OMG OMG it's borderline blasphemy that our fans can slag off our own" malarkey. It's fine to say a player or 2 in the squad are sh*t. No Gakpo isn't as bad as any of those names, but he's still sh*te regardless. Fans are entitled to that opinion when kids are upstaging your 40m signing.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #301: Mar 11, 2024 10:18:50 am
      Get with the times LiP. Those names are only there to counter argue the "OMG OMG it's borderline blasphemy that our fans can slag off our own" malarkey. It's fine to say a player or 2 in the squad are sh*t. No Gakpo isn't as bad as any of those names, but he's still sh*te regardless. Fans are entitled to that opinion when kids are upstaging your 40m signing.

ā€œGet with the timesā€

Is it the ā€œtimesā€ now when someone has a drop in form that people just call them ā€œsh*teā€

Thatā€™s the sort of nonsense that you see plastered all over Twitter from social media fans who couldnā€™t find the ground using sat nav

Gakpo is not ā€œsh*teā€ , he isnā€™t getting upstaged by anyone and I suspect people like you were calling him world class last season when he helped destroy Man Utd

People like you just react and flip and flop - there is no middle ground

You were calling him a good versatile player not long ago

Good versatile player who can play anywhere across the front line but hopefully we've seen the last of him in midfield.

Prefer him on the flanks and he tends to be more involved in games out wide, looks a little lost when playing centrally and he generally averages a very low number of touches.

The goals he's getting in the cups are handy, wanna see deliver the same in the league and I wanna see more creative impetus.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2024 10:26:46 am by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,051 posts | 2103 
      Reply #302: Mar 11, 2024 11:37:49 am
      I'm not sure how much worth you can really put in a player who scores goals only when the game is well wrapped up.

The last few weeks with all those injuries was THE moment to prove himself and he was upstaged by kids. Not a good look.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #303: Mar 11, 2024 11:45:31 am
      I'm not sure how much worth you can really put in a player who scores goals only when the game is well wrapped up.

The last few weeks with all those injuries was THE moment to prove himself and he was upstaged by kids. Not a good look.

He got the crucial first goal in wolves match

He himself has had injuries and his play has contributed to the team still winning

Think he also scored in 4 consecutive Lge cup games as well

The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 155 
      Reply #304: Mar 11, 2024 11:55:10 am

Exactly.

It's not unfair to suggest a lot of his goals have come via tap ins either, although he does get the credit for being in the right place at the right time.....he relies on other players around him to do all the work.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #305: Mar 11, 2024 12:09:14 pm
      Not a player I'd throw on if looking for goals, I'd have Danns on ahead of him if that was what was needed, doesn't take up natural centre forward positions, but still a useful player, holds it up well and generally uses it well, helps put other guys in and grabs the odd goal. Better than some of the backup players we've had in years gone by.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #306: Mar 11, 2024 12:32:02 pm
      Exactly.

It's not unfair to suggest a lot of his goals have come via tap ins either, although he does get the credit for being in the right place at the right time.....he relies on other players around him to do all the work.

https://youtu.be/kKDHXuGoUPA?si=-E6lJRr4muUptV3F

https://youtu.be/hMiNva8pEK0?si=JwoCnfOdb-HFrIae

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #307: Mar 11, 2024 01:47:31 pm
      Still a relative youngster himself isn't he. He's been getting in good positions and has had some good shots stopped. Feels a little like Darwin did at the moment....just needs one or two to go in and he'll be ok.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,228 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #308: Mar 11, 2024 03:37:38 pm
      Probably our worse player yesterday
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #309: Mar 11, 2024 04:19:41 pm
      Gone off the boil a bit but does try hard and hasn't been far away from a goal in recent games. I do sometimes have serious doubts about him and have to remind myself of the players I've rubbished in the past to take a bit of faith. Hopefully he can still make a contribution before the season is over.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #310: Mar 11, 2024 04:28:17 pm
      Gone off the boil a bit but does try hard and hasn't been far away from a goal in recent games. I do sometimes have serious doubts about him and have to remind myself of the players I've rubbished in the past to take a bit of faith. Hopefully he can still make a contribution before the season is over.

Thatā€™s the key thing - the last bit

How many times have players been written

Jones
      Gomez
      Elliot
      Nunez

Even gojng back to the likes of Ox , Taki

All have proven their worth at tbe club

People at times need to have faith in the players and the management team

I canā€™t recall the last time a signing was really a bad signing or a ā€œsh*teā€ player
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #311: Mar 11, 2024 04:49:38 pm
      Love gappers, very classy player.

The goals will come again.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #312: Mar 11, 2024 06:32:04 pm
      Thatā€™s the key thing - the last bit

How many times have players been written

Jones
      Gomez
      Elliot
      Nunez

Even gojng back to the likes of Ox , Taki

All have proven their worth at tbe club

People at times need to have faith in the players and the management team

I canā€™t recall the last time a signing was really a bad signing or a ā€œsh*teā€ player

You're right, the days of us signing truly abysmal players on a not infrequent basis are long gone and there are plenty of late who have had iffy patches and then come on leaps and bounds so I think it's fair to apply that wisdom to Gakpo's situation now. All that really matters at this stage is that he puts in a strong effort between now and the end of the season because we need everyone working hard to bridge gaps and cover for injury absentees.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #313: Mar 11, 2024 07:15:39 pm
      My take is, much like Gravenberch, he's looked lost far too often, does he have a set role?...Before you can play with your feet, you have to be able to play in your head....and I'm not sure even he knows what he's trying to do.  As others have said he's still comparatively young so who knows?
      Time will tell.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 155 
      Reply #314: Mar 11, 2024 07:21:26 pm
      My take is, much like Gravenberch, he's looked lost far too often, does he have a set role?...Before you can play with your feet, you have to be able to play in your head....and I'm not sure even he knows what he's trying to do.  As others have said he's still comparatively young so who knows?
      Time will tell.

He isn't THAT young though is he? He's 24/25 and he's been here long enough now to adapt and find his feet. With Grav it's a bit different as he came late in the summer and didn't have a pre-season with us.

If he doesn't impress in these next 10-15 games, he could well be shown the door in the summer.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 833 posts | 298 
      Reply #315: Mar 11, 2024 07:45:56 pm
      He isn't THAT young though is he? He's 24/25 and he's been here long enough now to adapt and find his feet. With Grav it's a bit different as he came late in the summer and didn't have a pre-season with us.

If he doesn't impress in these next 10-15 games, he could well be shown the door in the summer.

He's 24 but he's also adapting to a new position as a false 9.

I think he always appeared to lack confidence on the pitch, he's 6' 4 but somehow appears smaller than other players. For comparison, Nunez at 6' 2 has a lot more presence on the pitch.
      I don't think it helps when fans suddenly decide that a player is sh*te and needs to go when they are in a period of bad form. It's true that Cody has not played well for a few games now. I think the injuries to the other forwards put a lot of pressure on Cody to carry the attack and score goals. Some players rise to the challenge, some don't.
      I think he needs to have some minutes on the pitch when there is less pressure on him so he can rebuild his confidence.

I think he's a very good player who is an important part of the squad. We have a lot of world class players and I'd not have him in my everyone fit best 11 this season. But that does not mean he's sh*te. I'm a Liverpool supporter and will continue to support him and the other players.

It's true that we should not have blind, unquestioning loyalty to the club. If a player is really bad we should admit that; but Cody is not sh*te IMO.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #316: Mar 12, 2024 12:28:36 pm
      He's 24 but he's also adapting to a new position as a false 9.

I think he always appeared to lack confidence on the pitch, he's 6' 4 but somehow appears smaller than other players. For comparison, Nunez at 6' 2 has a lot more presence on the pitch.
      I don't think it helps when fans suddenly decide that a player is sh*te and needs to go when they are in a period of bad form. It's true that Cody has not played well for a few games now. I think the injuries to the other forwards put a lot of pressure on Cody to carry the attack and score goals. Some players rise to the challenge, some don't.
      I think he needs to have some minutes on the pitch when there is less pressure on him so he can rebuild his confidence.

I think he's a very good player who is an important part of the squad. We have a lot of world class players and I'd not have him in my everyone fit best 11 this season. But that does not mean he's sh*te. I'm a Liverpool supporter and will continue to support him and the other players.

It's true that we should not have blind, unquestioning loyalty to the club. If a player is really bad we should admit that; but Cody is not sh*te IMO.
      We always have unquestioning loyalty to the Club....players come and go....Gakpo, if it was a school report: Could do better.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,228 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #317: Mar 12, 2024 07:12:31 pm
      We always have unquestioning loyalty to the Club....players come and go....Gakpo, if it was a school report: Could do better.

Could do better is an understatement
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 155 
      Reply #318: Mar 12, 2024 07:14:26 pm

:lmao:

I was a bit of a Gakpo in school, my teachers were never as lenient with me.

My report was usually more along the lines of, "looks like he doesn't want to be here, always looking around the class to see who'll be the first to put their hands up instead of taking the initiative himself and is constantly disrupting the natural flow of the lesson"

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,020 posts | 527 
      Reply #319: Mar 12, 2024 08:39:09 pm
      :lmao:

I was a bit of a Gakpo in school, my teachers were never as lenient with me.

My report was usually more along the lines of, "looks like he doesn't want to be here, always looking around the class to see who'll be the first to put their hands up instead of taking the initiative himself and is constantly disrupting the natural flow of the lesson"

That was Paul Konchesky's report for us. His mum wasn't happy about it.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,653 posts | 1586 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #320: Mar 14, 2024 10:28:51 pm
      Well he wasn't "sh*te" tonight was he  ;D and those pink boots were dancing all the way to the goal, shame he didn't get his hat-trick.

Well done Cody, praise were praise is due.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #321: Mar 14, 2024 10:40:58 pm
      Well he wasn't "sh*te" tonight was he  ;D and those pink boots were dancing all the way to the goal, shame he didn't get his hat-trick.

Well done Cody, praise were praise is due.
      Lad worked hard and deserved his goals.....unlucky not to bag the match ball.

Quick Reply