Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)

Read 26495 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)
      Dec 26, 2022 10:16:39 pm
      PSV confirmed the sale: https://www.psv.nl/nieuwspagina/artikel/psv-verkoopt-gakpo-aan-liverpool-fc.htm

PSV SELLS GAKPO TO LIVERPOOL FC
      PSV and Liverpool FC have reached an agreement on the proposed transfer of Cody Gakpo. The 23-year-old attacker will leave for England imminently where he will be subjected to the necessary formalities ahead of the completion of the transfer. Both clubs are not making any announcements about the transfer fee. "But this is a record transfer for PSV," said general manager Marcel Brands.

The PSV management completed the negotiations on Boxing Day and gave Gakpo permission to travel to England

https://twitter.com/PSV/status/1607495528580890625?t=2cgX59WPSCH2Lqu0nuX3aw&s=19
      « Last Edit: Dec 28, 2022 10:13:42 pm by JD »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Cody Gakpo Player Thread
      Reply #1: Dec 26, 2022 10:18:29 pm
      The gakpo deal shows again that people need to show more faith in the club
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #2: Dec 26, 2022 10:25:23 pm
      He looks like a number 9, I’m scratching my head a little bit though because the club spent big on Nunez to play as a 9. Still, it’s good to have options so bring it on!
      « Last Edit: Dec 27, 2022 12:22:09 am by Scottbot »
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #3: Dec 26, 2022 10:26:13 pm
      He looks like a number 9, I’m scratching my head a little bit with though because the club spent big on Nunez to play as a 9. Still, it’s good to have options.

He isn't a number 9, more of a winger.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #4: Dec 26, 2022 10:29:25 pm

He primarily a left sided attack but can play through the middle and right as well.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: Dec 26, 2022 10:35:12 pm
      Welcome Cody to The Greatest Football Club on The Planet!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #6: Dec 26, 2022 10:41:57 pm

He’s built like a 9! Looks like he has some strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqvw2s6f9ow

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)
      Reply #7: Dec 26, 2022 11:32:34 pm
      The gakpo deal shows again that people need to show more faith in the club
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #8: Dec 26, 2022 11:45:38 pm
      I dont know a lot about Gakpo. I dont follow Dutch Football. He had a decent WC but thats all I know. Anyone fill me in on what were getting in Gakpo? I read some reports hes a midfielder and some a forward and #9.? Pros v Cons....

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Dec 27, 2022 12:26:18 am
      Tidy, powerful player, in the WC.
      Some great options up front for now and the future.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Dec 27, 2022 12:49:32 am
      When you have a chance to sign a player who has that extra bit of quality up front to make a difference.............. you do it.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #11: Dec 27, 2022 12:52:29 am
      He can play as a center forward, a winger, but I also saw him playing as an attacking midfielder at the world cup with Holland, at least two times and he does it well. I'm not saying we got him to play AM since we desperately need a LW anyway, but he is more versatile than what he looks I think.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #12: Dec 27, 2022 03:09:07 am
      I dont know a lot about Gakpo. I dont follow Dutch Football. He had a decent WC but thats all I know. Anyone fill me in on what were getting in Gakpo? I read some reports hes a midfielder and some a forward and #9.? Pros v Cons....

Cody Gakpo ranks first or joint-first in the Eredivisie this season for the following stats:

â—‰ G/A
      â—‰ Goals
      â—‰ Assists
      â—‰ Shots
      â—‰ Shots on target
      â—‰ Chances created
      â—‰ Successful crosses
      â—‰ Fouls won in the final â…“
      â—‰ Fast breaks

Cons from what I understand, not the type to use a lot of trickery to beat his man.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #13: Dec 27, 2022 03:10:14 am
      When you have a chance to sign a player who has that extra bit of quality up front to make a difference.............. you do it.

Especially for such a (competitively) low price and especially when United thought he was coming to them 🤣
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,670 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #14: Dec 27, 2022 05:34:44 am
      Quote from AussieRed link  =topic=53312.msg2519955#msg2519955 date=1672094112
      Welcome Cody to The Greatest Football Club on The Planet!

It’s always nice to get any new player even if it’s to boost the squad Ian but can’t work out the signing but I guess that’s why I’m just a fan. United also linked with the player and for the life of me couldn’t work out why.

United desperate for striker, you lot need a couple of midfielders yet you get a player that likes playing on the wing. Maybe there’s money in the pot than what Liverpool fans thought and you’ll still get a midfielder or two. Glad you got him though as we may of ended up with him.  ;D
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #15: Dec 27, 2022 05:55:30 am
      I did the same with Darwin's Thread when his club confirmed it and it was removed.

Double standards, 🤐 OOO it's Diego 🤣 😂

Welcome to the club Gakpo.

Sour grapes Keith 😉 ?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,670 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #16: Dec 27, 2022 07:06:21 am
      I did the same with Darwin's Thread when his club confirmed it and it was removed.

Double standards, 🤐 OOO it's Diego 🤣 😂

Welcome to the club Gakpo.

Sour grapes Keith 😉 ?

100% no Clint I watched him when we were linked, thought he was a striker till I watched. He’s ok but I think we need a striker more than any other position so that’s my reasoning for not wanting him.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      Reply #17: Dec 27, 2022 07:44:37 am
      100% no Clint I watched him when we were linked, thought he was a striker till I watched. He’s ok but I think we need a striker more than any other position so that’s my reasoning for not wanting him.

What do you want? Like Haaland, there are not so many.

Keith just imagine Diaz, Darwin, Salah, Gakpo, Jota and Firmino all fit.
      PSV_1913
      • On Trial

• 1 posts | 11 
      Reply #18: Dec 27, 2022 07:58:43 am
      Hi there,

I'm from the Netherlands and as you can see a PSV supporter. Unfortunately we are losing Gakpo, but I think you'll have a great player with Cody.
      For those who don't know Gakpo well; he's a local boy from Eindhoven, supporter of the club as well and ioined our club at a very young age. His best position is as a left winger, although he can play from the center as well (like in the Dutch national team during the WC). I think his best strength is his schooting and passing technique. He's very clinical in front of the goal and his crosses are always dangerous. He has a special body type for a winger; a little bit long and strong, but still pretty fast and agile. His goals/assists rating is incredible. I know, it's just the Dutch League and I think Gakpo will need some time to get used to the (fast) play of the Premier League but I'm convinced he will make his contribution for Liverpool.
      He's not a player like Antony with a lot of tricks and always try to get passed his defender. Gakpo will be looking for the best, most valuable option.
      What I also like about Gakpo; he's always been a polite, down to earth and smart guy. Makes time for his fans, not arrogant at all, a really good kid.

Really hope he will make it at Liverpool. Glad he didnt went to Man. United.

Ps. Sorry for my bad English, but I hope/guess you will understand it.
      +11
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #19: Dec 27, 2022 08:00:42 am
      Bobby is going, pretty sure of it as I would imagine we are offering him a reduced contact due to his injuries

We needed this signing because of our injuries, I was telling my friends I thought we could get top 4 spot World Cup when Diaz is back as our main struggle was also intensity up top in we couldn’t rotate due to injuries

We him we still only have three main attackers for January but when jota is back, we can finally rotate well

Think he will do well, if Keita and ox can stay fit for rest for 1 month or so, we could be in a really good position

Ideally would want a cm if we can get one to really make a charge at the cl spot

The money seems good and he will provide good depth when everyone is fit, I would imagine, if needed one of our front players can play in an advanced three formation too
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      Reply #20: Dec 27, 2022 08:24:52 am
      Bobby is going, pretty sure of it as I would imagine we are offering him a reduced contact due to his injuries

We needed this signing because of our injuries, I was telling my friends I thought we could get top 4 spot World Cup when Diaz is back as our main struggle was also intensity up top in we couldn’t rotate due to injuries

We him we still only have three main attackers for January but when jota is back, we can finally rotate well

Think he will do well, if Keita and ox can stay fit for rest for 1 month or so, we could be in a really good position

Ideally would want a cm if we can get one to really make a charge at the cl spot

The money seems good and he will provide good depth when everyone is fit, I would imagine, if needed one of our front players can play in an advanced three formation too

We are looking for the future too, Darwin, Diaz and Gakpo all still have 8 yrs in them or more.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #21: Dec 27, 2022 08:52:54 am
      Seems to be a bit of a mixed reaction on social media to this one. Not watched him bar the two knockout games he played for the Netherlands where he looked poor but of course you can’t judge a player based off just that.

I’m just glad we’ve been proactive here and made an early move for an attacker because I couldn’t have seen us but the run together we need with the likes of Ox or Carvalho playing LW for the next two months.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,670 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #22: Dec 27, 2022 09:10:00 am
      What do you want? Like Haaland, there are not so many.

Keith just imagine Diaz, Darwin, Salah, Gakpo, Jota and Firmino all fit.

In a ideal world hell yeah  :lmao:

Would you class Gakpo as a priority signing? Hell I wouldn’t if I wore the shirt.  ;D Give me two midfielders any day unless you’ve got buckets loads to spend.

I’ve still not made my mind up with Darwin.

Diaz, Jota & Salah absolutely.

Quick Reply