Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)

Read 26439 times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Re: Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)
      Reply #92: Jan 22, 2023 04:08:36 pm
      Forwards lacking pace often struggle to stand out - those that do are usually very technically gifted or good in the air, but yet to see anything like that from him. I just don’t think he’s going to be the type of player that would step up and take the game by the scruff of the neck. More likely he’ll play well when the team plays well, which it isn’t.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #93: Jan 22, 2023 05:11:52 pm
      He will get it, let's not forget he's only been rushed into the first 11 because of the injuries to the other forwards
      His record suggests he's a decent player, and there's every likelihood he'll come good for us, maybe it's nerves, but yesterday he looked like he was running in high heel shoes.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #94: Jan 22, 2023 10:37:10 pm
      Can't believe he's being written off already by some of you lot.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #95: Jan 22, 2023 11:05:52 pm
      Can't believe he's being written off already by some of you lot.
      There has been a bit of mild concern.....but I haven't read anyone on here writing him off.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #96: Jan 23, 2023 05:15:03 am
      As least as I know Gakpo is a left winger and his best traits was supporting play, but we decide to use him as a CF, maybe we hope his height will help?
      We now have no available left side forward, but we decide to play young Harvey there.
      Nunez is ready and surely hes our best CF, Gakpo abilities seems perfect to provide Darwin with creativity and supports, but we decide not to use their strengths.
      And what?, when Diaz come back it's most possibly Gakpo is sit on the bench.
      He is 23 year-old, I don't think a backup left side forward is the most priority this window.
      Why sign him and not play him to his strength.
      We are now best at making wonder to ourself every game, and making a laugh to others IMO.
      « Last Edit: Jan 23, 2023 11:41:17 am by skolRED »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #97: Jan 23, 2023 09:16:14 am
      Give the lad time.

Came into a team playing crap, riddled with injuries.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #98: Jan 23, 2023 09:40:14 am
      Give the lad time.

Came into a team playing crap, riddled with injuries.

We all want him to succeed, just looks very underwhelming at the moment. Then again - everyone looks poor
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #99: Jan 23, 2023 10:21:30 am
      We all want him to succeed, just looks very underwhelming at the moment. Then again - everyone looks poor

Exactly every player looking rubbish the now.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #100: Jan 23, 2023 10:23:38 am
      The lad needs time. Obviously he's been brought in to have an immediate impact ... but that was always going to be tough in a team as bad as ours currently is.

Carvalho, Elliott, Nunez, Ramsay, Melo and Gapko ... some of our most recent signings .... none have set the world alight.

We've been used to getting things pretty much spot on in the market and buying players to suit our needs.

I still wonder/worry who is in charge of transfers now. Yes Jürgen has final say ... but with ward on the way out ... how much are we using the data etc from years gone by. We used to work a window or 2 in advance. Some recent signings just feel more panic and one person really wanting someone than trusting the system that's got us success on a sell to buy policy with next to no investment. I don't believe for a second that everyone was united on nunez melo and gapko ... maybe even fabio as well.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #101: Jan 23, 2023 11:38:04 am
      Most new players take 6 months' to settle. some weirdlings like Diaz are just animals that stat flying straight away.

But generally 6 months. so probably next season before we see best of Cody.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #102: Jan 23, 2023 11:41:29 am
      The lad needs time. Obviously he's been brought in to have an immediate impact ... but that was always going to be tough in a team as bad as ours currently is.

Carvalho, Elliott, Nunez, Ramsay, Melo and Gapko ... some of our most recent signings .... none have set the world alight.

We've been used to getting things pretty much spot on in the market and buying players to suit our needs.

I still wonder/worry who is in charge of transfers now. Yes Jürgen has final say ... but with ward on the way out ... how much are we using the data etc from years gone by. We used to work a window or 2 in advance. Some recent signings just feel more panic and one person really wanting someone than trusting the system that's got us success on a sell to buy policy with next to no investment. I don't believe for a second that everyone was united on nunez melo and gapko ... maybe even fabio as well.

Elliott isnt that recent and he had a horrific injury so bit harsh, especially how he has been pretty good at times.

Nunez is getting better every game, but again he has been stop start due to suspension and injury.

Melo has been robbed as well due to injury, cant fault his effort to get fit though.

Ramsey again has an injury to get over and is very young, may need a season at least before we see him properly.

Carvalho has taken his 6 months to settle, but we have only seen glimpses, but again hes very young, and is maybe a bigger step up from championship that realised.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #103: Jan 23, 2023 01:59:08 pm
      Elliott isnt that recent and he had a horrific injury so bit harsh, especially how he has been pretty good at times.

Nunez is getting better every game, but again he has been stop start due to suspension and injury.

Melo has been robbed as well due to injury, cant fault his effort to get fit though.

Ramsey again has an injury to get over and is very young, may need a season at least before we see him properly.

Carvalho has taken his 6 months to settle, but we have only seen glimpses, but again hes very young, and is maybe a bigger step up from championship that realised.

I'm not trying to be harsh mate ... not at all.

But we brought lads in like fabinho, wijnaldum, salah, mane, van dijk, Robbo etc ... these lads were all part of a process and pretty much from their first game fitted straight in and started doing the business.

All our recent signings .... as good as they may be .... alot of them don't look like Liverpool players to me ... in that they don't fit our model and way of playing.

It all seems abit chaotic now .... our transfer business.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #104: Jan 23, 2023 02:18:00 pm

But we brought lads in like fabinho, wijnaldum, salah, mane, van dijk, Robbo etc ... these lads were all part of a process and pretty much from their first game fitted straight in and started doing the business.

All our recent signings .... as good as they may be .... alot of them don't look like Liverpool players to me ... in that they don't fit our model and way of playing.

Well Robbo never, he took 6 months.

It does seem chaotic just now tbf.

But I think thats just cos the whole teams form is rubbish, if we were flying and the usual suspects were playing well, we wouldn't be too fussed about the newish guys.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #105: Jan 23, 2023 07:44:38 pm

Fabinho spent the first 8 leagues games on the bench or out of the squad altogether. I know 8 games doesn't sound like much, but since we are judging Cody after 3 (or 4 not sure) why not eh. Fab then spent the rest of the domestic campaign alternating between bench and starting with the starts only sort of steadying around February.

Konate who is considered to be our best CB after VVD spent the whole of his first season not playing much other than some CL and cup games.

Robbo, like Brezipool mentionned, spent half of the season either not in the squad or warming the bench.

There's no rule or correlation between the time it takes a player to adapt or the time it takes him to start being reasonably effective on the pitch and if he fits the team or not. Some players will take time to adapt, others wont.

It's truly mind boggling that some people are judging this kid so harshly 4 games in. Its almost like some lose the ability to think straight at the sight of any form of adversity. As soon as the team has a bad spell/season every one we have is sh*t, every one we recently bought is sh*t and any name from any other team would do a better job and we need to buy them. If we follow this logic we should've got rid of Robbo, Konate, Fab, Trent and a few other players who never hit the ground running or even became as good as other players we go but were still corner stones to our success (Shaqiri and Origi come to mind).
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #106: Jan 23, 2023 08:31:40 pm
      It's very true what Polar said above. He's been thrown in because he's the only option. With a fully fit and firing front line he would have had the space and time to develop and hone his skills on the training ground.

But what has he walked into? An injury riddled, misfiring side who's 400k frontman who should be setting and leading the rest is performing like a Blue Peter competition winner (if that).

The guy deserves so much better and it's up to us supporters to at least shine that reality on him and know that it's not necessarily all on him at the moment.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #107: Jan 24, 2023 09:01:11 am
      Fabinho spent the first 8 leagues games on the bench or out of the squad altogether. I know 8 games doesn't sound like much, but since we are judging Cody after 3 (or 4 not sure) why not eh. Fab then spent the rest of the domestic campaign alternating between bench and starting with the starts only sort of steadying around February.

Konate who is considered to be our best CB after VVD spent the whole of his first season not playing much other than some CL and cup games.

Robbo, like Brezipool mentionned, spent half of the season either not in the squad or warming the bench.

There's no rule or correlation between the time it takes a player to adapt or the time it takes him to start being reasonably effective on the pitch and if he fits the team or not. Some players will take time to adapt, others wont.

It's truly mind boggling that some people are judging this kid so harshly 4 games in. Its almost like some lose the ability to think straight at the sight of any form of adversity. As soon as the team has a bad spell/season every one we have is sh*t, every one we recently bought is sh*t and any name from any other team would do a better job and we need to buy them. If we follow this logic we should've got rid of Robbo, Konate, Fab, Trent and a few other players who never hit the ground running or even became as good as other players we go but were still corner stones to our success (Shaqiri and Origi come to mind).

+1 to this.

I'd add that the players you mention had more experience in the big 5 leagues than Gakpo has. It's a big step up from Holland to the Premier league.

We need to give him a lot more time to adapt. Maybe he's going to be the next Mo, maybe the next Origi, none of us can predict this after watching a few games when the whole team is playing badly.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #108: Jan 24, 2023 01:09:16 pm
      +1 to this.

I'd add that the players you mention had more experience in the big 5 leagues than Gakpo has. It's a big step up from Holland to the Premier league.

We need to give him a lot more time to adapt. Maybe he's going to be the next Mo, maybe the next Origi, none of us can predict this after watching a few games when the whole team is playing badly.

As long as not a next Lazar Markovic then I have nothing to complain  ;D

Seriously it's a bit different situation at the club and our team at the time we sign Gakpo and other players in recent years.
      My biggest question is if we are not believe he can improve our toothless attacking immediately then how about use money on the more pressing problem position which is central midfield
      « Last Edit: Jan 24, 2023 01:18:16 pm by skolRED »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #109: Jan 24, 2023 02:23:21 pm
      As long as not a next Lazar Markovic then I have nothing to complain  ;D

Seriously it's a bit different situation at the club and our team at the time we sign Gakpo and other players in recent years.
      My biggest question is if we are not believe he can improve our toothless attacking immediately then how about use money on the more pressing problem position which is central midfield

Because they were planning on buying him in the summer, but he became available and they didn't want to wait and allow other teams to come in.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #110: Jan 26, 2023 08:24:18 am
      He came in a team that is playing 4/10 and will have time to find his feet.

Diaz came in a team that was playing the best football, it was easier for him.

Come on Gakpo.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #111: Jan 26, 2023 09:03:09 am
      folk asking why we got him, maybe cos we had lost taki & Origi, then diaz & jota were still injured.

The attack is looking pretty tasty now when all fit.

Just need to add some fresh blood to central midfield in the summer, and by god we will have another top team for a good few years to come.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #112: Jan 30, 2023 02:00:35 pm
      Just read that JK trying to make him a Firmino type of player.
      Not sure I'm understood what I read right enought though.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2023/01/cody-gakpos-new-role-helped-liverpool-off-the-ball-now-they-must-improve-on-it/
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #113: Jan 30, 2023 04:20:13 pm
      Do not judge him, he will come good.

Look at Salah, he is suffering as well.

We need a good midfield for our attackers to flourish.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #114: Jan 30, 2023 04:57:04 pm
      Just read that JK trying to make him a Firmino type of player.
      Not sure I'm understood what I read right enought though.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2023/01/cody-gakpos-new-role-helped-liverpool-off-the-ball-now-they-must-improve-on-it/

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. He's a good passer/creator. Also, I believe before he came here Nunez used to play more like a winger? Starting on the left and cutting in. Maybe Jürgen envisioned him as the new Mane to pair with Salah on the right and Gakpo through the middle playing the Bobby role. I could be completely bonkers though, who knows.

Either way I'm not ready to throw the kid out with the bathwater. Can you imagine coming into this dumpster fire right now and having the weight of expectation that he has from supporters to be great right away.

Quick Reply