Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)

Read 26418 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)
      Reply #161: Apr 27, 2023 04:24:44 pm
      You still sore he didn't go to United?
      Or sore he scored two against you lot?

Hell no racer not at all, he’s not exactly set the world a light it was just the comment about being the real deal. 😱 The shot was like a pee roller 😂 bounced twice before crossing the line. 100% not soar grapes.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #162: Apr 28, 2023 01:33:20 am
      Hell no racer not at all, he’s not exactly set the world a light it was just the comment about being the real deal. 😱 The shot was like a pee roller 😂 bounced twice before crossing the line. 100% not soar grapes.
      A pee roller? Really? It's not the most powerful shot, but I felt like he still struck the ball pretty good and with a lot of accuracy from that range. He's actually one of those players that I love to see take a shot because he can strike the ball so purely its beautiful (scored one or two at the WC like that and his first against you guys was also sublime).

As for if he is the real deal I think he's showing good signs. He came into a team that is struggling to create anything for its attackers and still put up decent numbers, in those circumstances and for the short period he's been there. It's been a few games now where for the first time in a while we see someone other than Firmino play the false 9 role with such success. Yesterday, he was all over the pitch, all the time and created space for the wingers exactly like Firmino did for years.

Is he going to compete for the golden boot? I doubt it, but is that the role being given to him? I also doubt it. He's going to be a key player in that team for the way we play and he'll still contribute with loads of goals and assists.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #163: Apr 28, 2023 08:29:07 am
      A pee roller? Really? It's not the most powerful shot, but I felt like he still struck the ball pretty good and with a lot of accuracy from that range. He's actually one of those players that I love to see take a shot because he can strike the ball so purely its beautiful (scored one or two at the WC like that and his first against you guys was also sublime).

As for if he is the real deal I think he's showing good signs. He came into a team that is struggling to create anything for its attackers and still put up decent numbers, in those circumstances and for the short period he's been there. It's been a few games now where for the first time in a while we see someone other than Firmino play the false 9 role with such success. Yesterday, he was all over the pitch, all the time and created space for the wingers exactly like Firmino did for years.

Is he going to compete for the golden boot? I doubt it, but is that the role being given to him? I also doubt it. He's going to be a key player in that team for the way we play and he'll still contribute with loads of goals and assists.

So you agree then!!

In your words not the most powerful shot!
      He’s showing good signs!! But obviously not the real deal ( at least on present form )
      Golden boot challenge no, in your words!

So on that bases ( which is all I was saying ) He isn’t the real deal. His performances so far this season have been average on a whole…
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #164: Apr 28, 2023 08:55:15 am
      So you agree then!!

In your words not the most powerful shot!
      He’s showing good signs!! But obviously not the real deal ( at least on present form )
      Golden boot challenge no, in your words!

So on that bases ( which is all I was saying ) He isn’t the real deal. His performances so far this season have been average on a whole…

I think it's been difficult for Cody. Go back 12 months previous Diaz came into a team that was flying and full of confidence and going for everything. And he slotted in and hit the ground running.

This January Gapko came into a team on its knees ... devoid of any confidence and with an injury list longer than your arm. It isn't easy settling down in a new country. And the state we were in wouldn't have helped.

Overall I think he's done well. He's operating in a different position from what he was doing at psv ... and hopefully this 1/2 season will help him going into next season.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #165: Apr 28, 2023 11:33:53 am
      I think it's been difficult for Cody. Go back 12 months previous Diaz came into a team that was flying and full of confidence and going for everything. And he slotted in and hit the ground running.

This January Gapko came into a team on its knees ... devoid of any confidence and with an injury list longer than your arm. It isn't easy settling down in a new country. And the state we were in wouldn't have helped.

Overall I think he's done well. He's operating in a different position from what he was doing at psv ... and hopefully this 1/2 season will help him going into next season.

I think the funds could have been spent better elsewhere Don. He’s ok but nothing special, as of yet anyway.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #166: Apr 28, 2023 11:39:16 am
      I think the funds could have been spent better elsewhere Don. He’s ok but nothing special, as of yet anyway.

Initially it may have looked that way nut the more you see him the more the signing makes sense.

He's not Firmino but he's definitely capable of taking that role in his own way.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #167: Apr 28, 2023 12:24:24 pm
      Initially it may have looked that way nut the more you see him the more the signing makes sense.

He's not Firmino but he's definitely capable of taking that role in his own way.

I think he can play in 'the hole' just off the front three. I'd love to see us go all out attack next season. Fergie at United attacked home and away. Put up a very attacking front 6 and only went tactical V the top 4/5 or in Europe. Believe it or not Pep does more or less the same.

We need the players but if we went...Mo, Jota (or Nunez) Diaz, Gakpo, Trent,Fabinho. And attacked we'd amass the points. Add poss 2 top mid, one attacking, the other a 'firefighter' we could storm the feckin' league...batter  everybody in sight..put the sh*ts up Pep and the rest of the poseurs.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #168: Apr 28, 2023 12:38:59 pm
      I think he can play in 'the hole' just off the front three. I'd love to see us go all out attack next season. Fergie at United attacked home and away. Put up a very attacking front 6 and only went tactical V the top 4/5 or in Europe. Believe it or not Pep does more or less the same.

We need the players but if we went...Mo, Jota (or Nunez) Diaz, Gakpo, Trent,Fabinho. And attacked we'd amass the points. Add poss 2 top mid, one attacking, the other a 'firefighter' we could storm the feckin' league...batter  everybody in sight..put the sh*ts up Pep and the rest of the poseurs.

I'm with you.

I've been banging on about 4 2 3 1 all season. We have the players to do it
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #169: Apr 28, 2023 12:44:35 pm

Time will tell but just looks like an average squad player to me so far.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #170: Apr 28, 2023 12:50:42 pm

I think you're talking nonsense to be honest mate.

How much have you seen from him?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #171: Apr 28, 2023 12:51:02 pm
      Initially quite skeptical about this one but now really excited to see how he develops next season.

Currently lacking a bit of consistency (ineffective against Forest but impressed in the games either side) but can see he has all the ingredients to be a top player for us in that role Bobby used to play.

Think he's already made a bigger impact than players rivals have signed for double the price (Antony and Mudryk come to mind) and can only see him getting better once he has a full pre-season under his belt.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #172: Apr 28, 2023 12:54:34 pm

Nah man. hes a class act. Scoring goals and assisting whilst klopp playing him in a different position.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #173: Apr 28, 2023 12:54:59 pm

Think he's already made a bigger impact than players rivals have signed for double the price (Antony and Mudryk come to mind) and can only see him getting better once he has a full pre-season under his belt.

defo
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #174: Apr 28, 2023 02:33:23 pm
      I'm with you.

I've been banging on about 4 2 3 1 all season. We have the players to do it

Klopp doesn't seem to want to play it. It's been screaming out for it at times this season... but we didn't go that route
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #175: Apr 28, 2023 02:34:11 pm
      Klopp doesn't seem to want to play it. It's been screaming out for it at times this season... but we didn't go that route

No which is strange as I'm pretty sure he used that system at Dortmund.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #176: Apr 28, 2023 02:54:22 pm
      I think you're talking nonsense to be honest mate.

How much have you seen from him?

Not a problem Si time will tell. Probably seen the same amount of you of him? All his Liverpool games and when United were also looking at him what I saw on you tube.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #177: Apr 28, 2023 02:56:05 pm
      Nah man. hes a class act. Scoring goals and assisting whilst klopp playing him in a different position.

Long way to go before he can be called class act Brez. On what I’ve seen so far he’s just be ok/average.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #178: Apr 28, 2023 03:07:40 pm
      Not a problem Si time will tell. Probably seen the same amount of you of him? All his Liverpool games and when United were also looking at him what I saw on you tube.

Fair enough mate. Think he'll prove you wrong.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #179: Apr 28, 2023 03:28:29 pm
      Fair enough mate. Think he'll prove you wrong.

Wont be first time Si and won’t be last.   ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #180: Apr 30, 2023 05:28:29 pm
      Long way to go before he can be called class act Brez. On what I’ve seen so far he’s just be ok/average.

Anyone that is wise enough to sign for Liverpool is a class act. 🤣😉
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #181: Apr 30, 2023 08:12:21 pm
      What a player he’s growing into. I’m speculating that next year he is going to blossom into a real star for us.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #182: May 01, 2023 06:39:12 pm
      What a player. He works hard like another Dutch man from the early 2000s but more deadly than kuyt.

He gelled well with the team.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #183: May 01, 2023 08:24:44 pm
      He's not good enough (to be a world class player). He's too tall and lacks explosiveness but also not a threat for headers. Right now he profits from the advantage on being new and defenses not having enough film on him. His signing makes sense if you wanna have a decent bench player without an attitude. But if LFC sees more than that in him they are delusional.

What we need is another difference maker. We should have gone for Haaland. But we did not and we won't for that kind because our owners just want to make profit while City's owners want to get silverware and fame. Therefore they deserve success more than us, paradoxically.

Quick Reply