Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-match Brentford v Liverpool 17.30 KO 2nd Jan 2023

Read 1903 times
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Pre-match Brentford v Liverpool 17.30 KO 2nd Jan 2023
      Jan 01, 2023 09:44:37 pm
      So after the excellent win at Villa Park on Boxing day and the defeat of Leicester City on Friday, we now turn our attention to a trip south to Brentford who are 10th in the table.

They drew 2-2 with Spurs on boxing day and beat West Ham 2-0 on friday, I think this will be a very open game with goals a plenty.

Wondering if Cody Gakpo might even be on the bench? And will Fabinho be back in the team after becoming a first time Daddy.

Game is live on Sky sports with a 5.30 kick off.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Pre-match Brentford v Liverpool 17.30 KO 2nd Jan 2023
      Reply #1: Jan 01, 2023 09:49:00 pm
      Hopefully Fabs is back, he’s massive for us and gives us the balance needed to win games like this.

We’ll get chances - just need to put them away.

I’m worried about their set pieces and long throw ins.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #2: Jan 01, 2023 10:10:01 pm
      I think this is the game Nunez hits the target.
      They are a decent side this lot, but if we’re on form, I’m confident we’ll outscore them whatever they produce.
      I’m going for 3:1 with our best performance of the season in our pursuit of the top !
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3: Jan 02, 2023 01:36:58 am
      Doesn't look we'll see Cody for this one. Paperwork window after the bank holiday is too tight and he hasn't trained with the team yet anyway.

If Fab isn't back yet (and maybe even if he is), would like to see Bajcetic on from the start.

Can we not concede in the opening minutes, please?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4: Jan 02, 2023 07:28:32 am
      NB: Team no longer available

I would rest Matip, Robertson and Elliott.

Drop AOC for Carvalho if Gakpo is not registered in time.

A must win as usual.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #5: Jan 02, 2023 08:43:19 am
      This is going to be a tough one. Brentford are a good side and seem to thrive a bit on doing over the bigger teams.

Play like we did against Leicester and we're not getting anything from this.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #6: Jan 02, 2023 09:34:47 am
      Gonna be a tough one this. Can't really afford to play like we did against Leicester as JD said. Problem is performances like that are the norm this season as opposed to the exception. Brentford are a strong, skillful intense side side. I can see Tony getting loads of chances as we are wide open in midfield and at the back and I can't see that changing today. If Darwin and Salah can find their shooting boots today we might edge a thriller ... if not I can't see us getting anything. Hope I'm wrong on the latter.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #7: Jan 02, 2023 09:42:14 am
      This could be a harder test if we're not there from the first second.

This weekend City, Spurs and Newcastle dropped points so if we won this one we will be there fighting and watching the next day matches with comfort.

Darwin and Salah need to be clinical.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2023 10:46:42 am
      Need as much physicality as possible for this Konate and Fab musts for me . Hopefully Robbo recovered.  Not sure Ox has worked so can see a change possibly there
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2023 10:52:15 am
      If any of you think this is a shoe in win forget it, Brentford if you remember we’re the first side to play us at our own game and almost beat us, 3-3 last season at their gaff, almost  playing us off the f***in park, others copied Brentford’s aggression later in the season, most notably Brighton and subsequently Leeds,

This is a f***in tough match, make no bones, Thomas Frank is a very underrated manager, what he has achieved  with them is quite remarkable, like any side they have peaks N troughs but when their peaking their a very very decent side, like us, they function best when their at their fittest and have most of their squad available, that’s where their at right now and apart from Ivan Toney, unfortunately for them, they will be testing us, no doubt about that at all,

So fullest strongest X1 possible tonight, we can’t afford any F**k Ups, we edged past the East Midland Scummers last Friday without scoring a goal 🤣, when did that happen last ? Funny however way you look at it,  Scummers scoring three away goals  and coming up with exactly F**k all, or us taking three points and not scoring once 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣, it’s f***in brilliant,

Do the same against this lot and we’re F**ked, yes I know, we’re away so can’t happen, but some of us are intellectually challenged, that’s woke for thick cnuts btw, and will need to be explained……
      ……WE ARE THE AWAY TEAM !!!

Anyhoo, like I said it’s Gonna be a tough watch and a very tight affair, however I do still think our quality will see us thru, but Jürgen needs to get the balance right tonight, at this moment I’m not sure of the injury situation regards to Robbo and Harvey, so assuming both are out I’m going with thus………

……..                  Allison
                  Trent  Matip Virgil Kostas
                   Hendo  Fabinho Thiago
                  Salah   Nunez  Carvahalo

Ox doesn’t do enough for me, he has a dead man walking persona imo, I get that he’ll be feeling his days here are numbered, and he’s right, but I want my players chomping at the bit, I want them ready to rip heads off for a place in a Jürgen Klopp team, sadly, I don’t see this in Ox, Jürgen wants versatility, Ox needs central midfield, we get neither, yes he can fill in right or left, but that’s all he does, fills in,

Young Carv, on the other hand offers, youth obviously, pace, links up well, can create, has a goal in him too, can pass, has the legs Ox had ten years ago, no brainer, against a fast attacking Brentford side who will leave space in behind  for young Carv’s legs to exploit,
      Kostas in for Robbo is a obvious one, but we all seen how vulnerable we were without the Fabulous Fab, had he been there Friday, no way Scummers get the opener, so he come straight back in for me in what I believe is our Strongest midfield  trio,

So we’re set, I can’t see too many variations from that above to what perhaps Jürgen goes with, if Harvey or indeed Robbo do make it , or both adjust accordingly.

1-2 hard fought, arse edge of seat , nail biting purgatory!!!

Hope over Fear !!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Y  N  W  A

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2023 10:58:20 am by billythered »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #10: Jan 02, 2023 11:56:27 am
      Really need to up our performance today, against an inform Brentford. I think  both sides will attack and there will be a few goals. Predicting a 2  2 draw, but really hope the Reds prove me wrong and come back with all three points.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #11: Jan 02, 2023 12:14:43 pm
      The way our midfield has been sliced open recently, I’m surprised we haven’t started 4-4-2 to boss the midfield with the extra numbers, we can push one up and go 4-3-3 once we’ve got control of the game.
      We always seem start with being outnumbered in the middle and get stung. We then have to be reactive instead of being proactive. Been lucky a few times now because of it.
      Let’s stamp our authority on the game from the start.

Think it’s gonna be 1-3 with mo 1 and Nunez 2.
      Come on you mighty red men. Time to shine !
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #12: Jan 02, 2023 12:16:18 pm
      Looks like Jones , Bobby and Milly might be available

Would like to see this line up

Alisson

TAA
      Konate
      VVD
      Robbo or Kostas

Fabinho
      Thiago
      Keita

Mo
      Bobby
      Nunez
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Jan 02, 2023 12:37:08 pm
      Yeah tough game and we need to get back to pressing the play.Work much harder off the ball than we have been doing. The pace of Darwin could be a telling factor but they have to feed him. Might go with the extra man in midfield, throw Nabby in there.

London Irish rugby play at the Stadium, so Brentford better not get the codes mixed up.

1-3
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #14: Jan 02, 2023 12:57:01 pm
      Doesn't look we'll see Cody for this one. Paperwork window after the bank holiday is too tight and he hasn't trained with the team yet anyway.

If Fab isn't back yet (and maybe even if he is), would like to see Bajcetic on from the start.

Can we not concede in the opening minutes, please?

I would doubt Robby we’ll see Cody for at least two/three weeks, Dutch football is nowhere near EPL level both in intensity and pace, Cody will need time to adapt to that and to acclimatise to his new team mates together with learning a new system of play,

His role is pivotal to our flow so he will need to adapt to switching from attack to tracking back in a instant and learning what those around him can and cannot do, it’s absolutely vital he knows his role inside out and that will take a few sessions at the AxA before he’s ready.

Hope over Fear !! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Y  N  W  A
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #15: Jan 02, 2023 12:57:43 pm
      We have to start fast or we will lose this.
      We have been awful and still with a chance of top 4 - a draw isnt the end of the world.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #16: Jan 02, 2023 01:04:16 pm
      We have to start fast or we will lose this.
      We have been awful and still with a chance of top 4 - a draw isnt the end of the world.

After the results over the weekend, we need a win today.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #17: Jan 02, 2023 01:13:00 pm
      Arguable the two biggest issues currently are not pressing the play and Darwin not finishing off chances, in most cases so far, chances he has created himself with his pace and strength.

So work harder and Darwin get yer arse in gear and..er..that should be that.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #18: Jan 02, 2023 01:43:58 pm
      Arguable the two biggest issues currently are not pressing the play and Darwin not finishing off chances, in most cases so far, chances he has created himself with his pace and strength.

So work harder and Darwin get yer arse in gear and..er..that should be that.

For me the issues are defensively and in midfield. Teams are just walking through us as we are constantly wide open and defensively we look weak.

I think those are bigger issues than Darwin who is playing well imo ... needs to finish better obviously.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #19: Jan 02, 2023 02:54:32 pm
      Looks like this is the line up tonight from the guy who usually leaks the team

Alisson
      Trent
      Konate
      VVD
      Kostas
      Fab
      Thiago
      Elliot
      Salah
      Nunez
      Ox

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #20: Jan 02, 2023 04:11:49 pm
      This is a BIG one. We need 3 points. Hopefully Salah and Darwin click in front of goal. Need a bigger presence in the MF, but I also wanna see us manage Thiagos minutes if we can. We need him if we're gonna get top 4. Hopefully fringe players step up today (Kieta, Ox, Carvalho).

Would love to see Bobby play a part. Our D is so much better with him in the squad.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #21: Jan 02, 2023 04:23:03 pm
      For me the issues are defensively and in midfield. Teams are just walking through us as we are constantly wide open and defensively we look weak.

I think those are bigger issues than Darwin who is playing well imo ... needs to finish better obviously.

Yes but teams are playing through and are not being pressed, space closed down, whatever way you want to phrase it. Put bluntly we are not working hard enough off the ball. Most defenses will look weak if the 6 or so in front of them don't work hard enough.

We will see tonight whether the work rate off the ball has improved. I mean it has to. If we don't then top 4 will be even harder.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #22: Jan 02, 2023 04:30:10 pm
      On the Darwin front I like what I see. He's come in at a time when we are not winning possession as much. That aspect is vital to his game. Win possession and the quick release and he's in the game. As to whether his conversion rate well that will improve but to make use of him we have to light his fuse as early as poss.

His close range finishing in and around the box with Mo and whoever comes in will also get better. He could be better at the decision making. In terms of knowing when to go all out for it or lay it off to others will improve as he gels into the side.

Quick Reply