Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brentford?

Alisson Becker
      11 (21.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.9%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      1 (1.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      1 (1.9%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.9%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      2 (3.8%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      10 (19.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      5 (9.6%)
      Naby Keïta
      4 (7.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      15 (28.8%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: Jan 06, 2023 07:28:09 pm

Brentford 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 15631 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Re: Brentford 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #667: Jan 03, 2023 07:42:08 pm
      He's not there to bring creativity, he's literally the destroyer in midfield.

And he ain't doing much of that
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #668: Jan 03, 2023 07:53:22 pm
      Gone a bit toxic on here, we’re all feeling gutted, especially since we were on a little run that has sadly now come to an end (performances have gone back to early season form unfortunately).

I’m not sure what Klopp can do at this point - I don’t think even he knows exactly what to do.

It’s a pretty bad situation considering the teams we’ve actually lost to. There’s a few more nights like that coming up in the season too - I’m managing my expectations and think we will finish 6th or 7th with no trophies.

Reminiscent of the empty stadiums season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #669: Jan 03, 2023 07:54:05 pm
      And he ain't doing much of that

I know, looking a shadow of his former self this season.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #670: Jan 03, 2023 07:56:48 pm
      Reminiscent of the empty stadiums season.

And we only made top 4 by putting together an unbelievable run at the end, I can’t see it happening again.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #671: Jan 03, 2023 08:04:54 pm
      And we only made top 4 by putting together an unbelievable run at the end, I can’t see it happening again.

I don't know, Jota, Bobby and Diaz fit would change out chances slightly.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #672: Jan 03, 2023 08:31:49 pm

Of course it can happen again - the squad is full of talented players that could easily put a run together
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #673: Jan 03, 2023 09:13:03 pm
      Of course it can happen again - the squad is full of talented players that could easily put a run together

United are 7 points ahead of us and they have good players this time and Maguire isn't starting . We are fighting against Newcastle/Chelsea for a top 4 spot.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #674: Jan 03, 2023 09:20:39 pm

Always admired your optimism but I fear this time its misplaced
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #675: Jan 03, 2023 09:26:19 pm
      United are 7 points ahead of us and they have good players this time and Maguire isn't starting . We are fighting against Newcastle/Chelsea for a top 4 spot.

And 🤷‍♂️ Utd , Chelsea and Newcastle are far from unbeatable- lots of points left to play for
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #676: Jan 03, 2023 09:26:51 pm
      Always admired your optimism but I fear this time its misplaced

Let’s be honest you are only ever going to be negative about it all
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #677: Jan 03, 2023 09:58:21 pm
      The games we 'should' have won are now behind us. Weve lost them all. pick a positive out of that
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #678: Jan 03, 2023 10:06:40 pm
      I've had a quick look online. We currently have 28 points from 17 games.
      In the last 18 years we've had 6 seasons with worse points total after 17 games but this is the worst total since 15/16.
      The last few years have been amazing, easily the best team I've seen watching Liverpool for 35 years. That team is coming to the end, a new cycle begins. We need to have patience to let Klop and his staff rebuild and we need to accept some bad performances while they do their job.

Darwin, Harvey, Trent, Ibrahima, Curtis, etc. These are young men trying to do their job under incredible pressure. Ibrahima lost the world cup final a couple of weeks ago. We are all frustrated but does it help them when their own "fans" go online and throw sh*t at them constantly?

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #679: Jan 03, 2023 10:07:53 pm
      It seems the only joy we might get this season is seeing Everton get relegated. Yeah that's pathetic. I'm depressed
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #680: Jan 03, 2023 10:43:38 pm
      I recall the days when people wanted more creativity and goals from midfield instead of the high energy , pressing and intensity we got from Fab , Henderson, Gini and Milner when he stepped in

Seems that midfield is what made the team tick
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #681: Jan 03, 2023 10:48:45 pm
      F**k me, there are some soft lads in here tonight,

From thinking Jürgen has lost the plot to some thinking that top 4 is beyond us, make no bones, we’ve been absolutely pants but c’mon ffs, reading some of the posts must be what it’s like in the Blueshite forum, and they are f***in doomed, just wondering if those at Blueshite think Fat Frank has lost the same plot,

One day, in the very near future we will all look back and laugh our Tits off at all this bollocks, cos by then that’s what it will be, bollocks, and no one will give a shiny sh*te cos we’ll be back lifting titles & tin like we’ve been doing for the last 130 f***in years !!

Hope over Fear !! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Y  N  W  A
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #682: Jan 03, 2023 10:49:37 pm
      I've had a quick look online. We currently have 28 points from 17 games.
      In the last 18 years we've had 6 seasons with worse points total after 17 games but this is the worst total since 15/16.
      The last few years have been amazing, easily the best team I've seen watching Liverpool for 35 years. That team is coming to the end, a new cycle begins. We need to have patience to let Klop and his staff rebuild and we need to accept some bad performances while they do their job.

Darwin, Harvey, Trent, Ibrahima, Curtis, etc. These are young men trying to do their job under incredible pressure. Ibrahima lost the world cup final a couple of weeks ago. We are all frustrated but does it help them when their own "fans" go online and throw sh*t at them constantly?
      All clubs are changing personnel all the time, club squads evolve, no club just jettison's a team and replaces it overnight. It's clear some of our squad are looking past their best, perhaps its age, perhaps its a general sense of feeling stale...a kind of been there done that malaise....who knows?
      But every man and his dog can see we need some strength and energy back in the midfield.
      In terms of pressure, well it's part of playing at an elite club and supporters have every right to scream to high heaven if they underperform...if the players read it, and don't like it , tough sh*t, they are paid fortunes to do a job...As the Great man himself said ..."It's a privilege to play for these supporters". Personally, I think it's important to "Throw Sh*t" at them when they don't put the effort in.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #683: Jan 03, 2023 11:20:18 pm
      I recall the days when people wanted more creativity and goals from midfield instead of the high energy , pressing and intensity we got from Fab , Henderson, Gini and Milner when he stepped in

Seems that midfield is what made the team tick

This is actually a big part of the reason we have struggled defensively this season, no doubt. It's not just about age, tiredness etc. We've changed from a midfield of 3 work horses, doing the hard yards to provide the platform so that our front 3 + fullbacks can do the attacking, to having a (on paper anyway) more creative midfield 3. With Thiago and Elliot in there plus 1 DM, the balance of midfield is completely different to what it was, and it's not surprising the midfield isn't giving the back 4 as much protection, and isn't as good at the high press.

Obviously that has been exacerbated by the fact that Fab has been off form and Hendo is struggling to play enough games. (And by the loss of Mane, who was our best high presser. And by the fact our back 4, Robbo apart, have been slack etc etc) But a big lesson of this season, I think, is that we need at least 2 defensively strong, engine room type CMs starting every week, if we want to keep playing our high pressing, high line, high fullbacks style of play, otherwise we are too open. I'm not blaming Jürgen for trying to shift the balance. A lot of us were calling for a more creative midfield. But basically it looks like we've found out that we need at least 2 guys in the centre who are good at the ugly stuff or else the system just doesn't work.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #684: Jan 04, 2023 09:15:16 am
      This is actually a big part of the reason we have struggled defensively this season, no doubt. It's not just about age, tiredness etc. We've changed from a midfield of 3 work horses, doing the hard yards to provide the platform so that our front 3 + fullbacks can do the attacking, to having a (on paper anyway) more creative midfield 3. With Thiago and Elliot in there plus 1 DM, the balance of midfield is completely different to what it was, and it's not surprising the midfield isn't giving the back 4 as much protection, and isn't as good at the high press.

Obviously that has been exacerbated by the fact that Fab has been off form and Hendo is struggling to play enough games. (And by the loss of Mane, who was our best high presser. And by the fact our back 4, Robbo apart, have been slack etc etc) But a big lesson of this season, I think, is that we need at least 2 defensively strong, engine room type CMs starting every week, if we want to keep playing our high pressing, high line, high fullbacks style of play, otherwise we are too open. I'm not blaming Jürgen for trying to shift the balance. A lot of us were calling for a more creative midfield. But basically it looks like we've found out that we need at least 2 guys in the centre who are good at the ugly stuff or else the system just doesn't work.

Good post,

I think we’ve covered all the rhymes and reasons why we’re sh*te at the moment, the systems of play a manager wants to use in the modern game are far advanced to those systems of play in the past, back in the ‘60’s & ‘70’s car manufacturer’s would fit the old style drum brakes and pretty primitive hand brakes designed to slow down momentum or to keep your pride and joy from escaping down a hill,

But today’s car’s have electronic anti lock braking systems, power Steering, etc etc etc, but they still have four wheels and they still get from A to B, in football it’s still 11V11, but the football of the ‘60’s and ‘70’s is a million miles from what it is today, when Jürgen & Pep G got the sub rule changed from 3 to 5, they should requested a 12 man team instead of 11,

How the F**k would that work ? I hear you ask, well think about it, a extra DM, or a extra CM or extra attacker, whatever system you use you can have a extra player to help get a win or hold onto a draw, whatever, whatever, whatever,

Like cars the game of football has moved on from that in the 60s & 70s, players are much more athletic than they were back then, today’s it’s all about health , fitness and calorie counting, back then it was pie N chips, a couple of fags and a session on the ale twice a week,

The intensity has been ramped up too, so much so that in our case we burn our players out much quicker than say a mediocre outfit, (and I’m being kind here) like Blueshite, imagine having 12 rather than 11, maybe football needs a revamp too, we’ve  seen how technology has helped in some ways if operated correctly, we’ve seen goal line technology brought in, and we’ve also seen referees being miked up and have comms to the  boffins in their wee shed in Milton Keynes, so why not help the players out by allowing another player to be added ?

Imagine having the luxury of four across the middle and still have three up top and four at the back, with a keeper of course, imagine the rotation we could have also, this is  all hypothetical of course and I’m probably talking bollocks, nothing new then I hear you all say 🖕,

In a nutshell our lads have burnt out, the high intensity over the last five campaigns have finally caught up with us, particularly the older guy’s, and I include, Virgil, Hendo, Thiago , Milner, Ox, Bobby, Matip, all in or over their 30’s, next age wise are, Jota, Mo, Robbo, Fabinho hovering around the 26-30, all of those players which is most of the fuckn squad will need replacing within the next two to three seasons,

Like we’ve fallen behind due to the covid set back for transfers this time we really do need to get it right or what we are all witnessing now will happen again in about 4/5 seasons time.

Y  N  W  A

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #685: Jan 04, 2023 09:33:44 am

Good post,

I think we’ve covered all the rhymes and reasons why we’re sh*te at the moment, the systems of play a manager wants to use in the modern game are far advanced to those systems of play in the past, back in the ‘60’s & ‘70’s car manufacturer’s would fit the old style drum brakes and pretty primitive hand brakes designed to slow down momentum or to keep your pride and joy from escaping down a hill,

But today’s car’s have electronic anti lock braking systems, power Steering, etc etc etc, but they still have four wheels and they still get from A to B, in football it’s still 11V11, but the football of the ‘60’s and ‘70’s is a million miles from what it is today, when Jürgen & Pep G got the sub rule changed from 3 to 5, they should requested a 12 man team instead of 11,

How the f**k would that work ? I hear you ask, well think about it, a extra DM, or a extra CM or extra attacker, whatever system you use you can have a extra player to help get a win or hold onto a draw, whatever, whatever, whatever,

Like cars the game of football has moved on from that in the 60s & 70s, players are much more athletic than they were back then, today’s it’s all about health , fitness and calorie counting, back then it was pie N chips, a couple of fags and a session on the ale twice a week,

The intensity has been ramped up too, so much so that in our case we burn our players out much quicker than say a mediocre outfit, (and I’m being kind here) like Blueshite, imagine having 12 rather than 11, maybe football needs a revamp too, we’ve  seen how technology has helped in some ways if operated correctly, we’ve seen goal line technology brought in, and we’ve also seen referees being miked up and have comms to the  boffins in their wee shed in Milton Keynes, so why not help the players out by allowing another player to be added ?

Imagine having the luxury of four across the middle and still have three up top and four at the back, with a keeper of course, imagine the rotation we could have also, this is  all hypothetical of course and I’m probably talking bollocks, nothing new then I hear you all say 🖕,

In a nutshell our lads have burnt out, the high intensity over the last five campaigns have finally caught up with us, particularly the older guy’s, and I include, Virgil, Hendo, Thiago , Milner, Ox, Bobby, Matip, all in or over their 30’s, next age wise are, Jota, Mo, Robbo, Fabinho hovering around the 26-30, all of those players which is most of the fuckn squad will need replacing within the next two to three seasons,

Like we’ve fallen behind due to the covid set back for transfers this time we really do need to get it right or what we are all witnessing now will happen again in about 4/5 seasons time.

Y  N  W  A

I don’t want to single out Elliott but he genuinely looks slow and weak when off the ball - it’s so lightweight.

We need some strength and guile in midfield, feels like we don’t have that at all.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #686: Jan 04, 2023 11:54:21 am
      Gone a bit toxic on here, we’re all feeling gutted, especially since we were on a little run that has sadly now come to an end (performances have gone back to early season form unfortunately).

I’m not sure what Klopp can do at this point - I don’t think even he knows exactly what to do.

It’s a pretty bad situation considering the teams we’ve actually lost to. There’s a few more nights like that coming up in the season too - I’m managing my expectations and think we will finish 6th or 7th with no trophies.

Feel the same. No chance we finish in the top 5 in my opinion. We refuse to address our biggest failing .... and it's killing us.

Add to that the defence is hopeless and the injuries upfront ... gonna be a long painful season 😞
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #687: Jan 04, 2023 12:07:41 pm
      I don’t want to single out Elliott but he genuinely looks slow and weak when off the ball - it’s so lightweight.

We need some strength and guile in midfield, feels like we don’t have that at all.

Wee man is class. but he is still learning, especially on the defensive side.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #688: Jan 04, 2023 12:25:28 pm
      Feel the same. No chance we finish in the top 5 in my opinion. We refuse to address our biggest failing .... and it's killing us.

Add to that the defence is hopeless and the injuries upfront ... gonna be a long painful season 😞

Don’t agree the defence is useless I think the issue is what ever tactics the coaching staff are employing are not working, just look at our set up we constantly have 7-8 players ahead of the ball and if there is a turn over we are being murdered by the opposition with one ball through the vacuum that is the middle of the pitch.

If we don’t have the players for a 433 then it’s up to the coaching staff to play more compact, no great surprise we looked good against Napoli in a 442.

Players have not turned to sh*t the coaching staff just need to understand they don’t have the intensity of 2-3 years ago esp the midfielders.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #689: Jan 04, 2023 02:29:02 pm
      If we don’t have the players for a 433 then it’s up to the coaching staff to play more compact, no great surprise we looked good against Napoli in a 442.

Everyone will be F***ing gutted if that was Pep's idea :laugh:

Quick Reply