Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Weird Signings You Wanted Us To Make

Read 4066 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Weird Signings You Wanted Us To Make
      Jan 02, 2023 10:53:37 pm
      Just a bit of fun while the transfer window is open and hopefully won't be taken too seriously.

Just popped into my head the other day that I've had players I thought would be great and in hindsight was glad we never went near.

All of us on here think we know loads and are bidding scouts but how wrong have you been?

Who's those players that to you thought would be great for the reds but glad the guys who know far more about this han us never went near?

I'll start off with one, and the evidence is on this site somewhere ;D

Darren Bent.

Had this mad idea that he'd be the perfect Torres back up or even replacement.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Re: Weird Signings You Wanted Us To Make
      Reply #1: Jan 03, 2023 09:39:34 am
      I thought trossard was brilliant but he only plays against us. Nunez against us was brilliant so was minamino. These players raise their game for a move and then go back to being average.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #2: Jan 03, 2023 10:31:59 am
      Weird, hmm

A midfield player….seems very weird for the club
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #3: Jan 03, 2023 10:42:28 am
      Just a bit of fun while the transfer window is open and hopefully won't be taken too seriously.

Just popped into my head the other day that I've had players I thought would be great and in hindsight was glad we never went near.

All of us on here think we know loads and are bidding scouts but how wrong have you been?

Who's those players that to you thought would be great for the reds but glad the guys who know far more about this han us never went near?

I'll start off with one, and the evidence is on this site somewhere ;D

Darren Bent.

Had this mad idea that he'd be the perfect Torres back up or even replacement.

was livid when we failed to sign Jean Alain Boumsong. ;D
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,611 posts | 365 
      Reply #4: Jan 03, 2023 11:26:43 am
      Sigurdson
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5: Jan 03, 2023 11:40:32 am
      Ayala or Aimar when Rafa left Valencia.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #6: Jan 03, 2023 11:42:34 am
      Ayoze Perez when he left Newcastle
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #7: Jan 03, 2023 11:47:31 am
      Was infatuated with the possibility of signing Cristian Tello from Barca. I don’t even know if he still plays football now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #8: Jan 03, 2023 11:49:47 am
      Well not me, but remember a lot on here wanting Arda Turan before he left Galatasaray for Barca
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #9: Jan 03, 2023 12:20:01 pm
      Could probably make an entire squad with those I've wanted us to buy.

Starting in goal and mainly because he was boss on Footy Manager for me, I wanted us to get Craig Gordon from Hearts. Thankfully though we made a much better decision to bring in Pepe Reina.

I remember as a kid wanting us to sign Luke Young from Charlton. I always felt he was a solid dependable right back, very similar to what we had to Steve Finnan. On the opposite side Ian Harte was always my choice for left back. Don't know if he classes as a "weird" signing because he was F***ing boss on his day - especially from dead ball situations. But when Leeds were on the verge of going bust I thought it'd be the perfect opportunity to pick him up on the cheap and instead we got Harry Kewell (a signing I was also all for)

A centre half pairing if I had my way would of been Ryan F***ing Shawcross from Stoke and also because he was boss on Footy Manager for my Celtic team, Bobo Balde. Two big fuckers who would win everything in the air and clear everything in sight when putting the ball in row z. None of this playing out from the back.

The two wingers are very questionable indeed but after both had a decent showing at Wigan, I would of snapped your hand off for both James McClean and Callum McManaman. I thought both were pacy tricky wingers, something we didn't get with Stewart Downing.

In the middle of the park, when we were buying anything and everything from Southampton, I was desperate for us to get Morgan Mchneiderlin. And was pissed off that United picked him up instead. But given how his career nosedived after leaving The Dell, I'm quite happy we didn't get him. The other was Nigel Reo-Coker. It was him, Stevie and Xabi in our midfield in my mind but Rafa decided on Mascherano from West Ham instead of Reo-Coker.

Up top is another two because of Footy Manager. Steven Fletcher from Hibs scored a hatful of goals for me so I always wanted us to get him in the real world. Thank F**k we never did! The other is from way back to the point it was on Championship Manager 4. Mikael Forssell just banged goals in for fun on that game and because he was at Chelsea at the start of the Ambrovich era and had been knocked down the pecking order by Crespo and Mutu as well as Hasselbaink and Gudjohnsen, I thought we could get him for a snip. I had versions of him and Cisse being a real handful for the opposition.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #10: Jan 03, 2023 12:23:43 pm
      When we signed Downing I was so disappointed because I really wanted us to sign N'Zogbia who I really rated really high at Wigan and Villa.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #11: Jan 03, 2023 12:47:16 pm
      Jeez, f***in brain hurts already, eh ok not in any particular order, Paul McStay, Barry Ferguson, Gary Speed, Didier Drogba, Lillian Thuram, Kaka, Rui Costa, Cannavarro, Le Tiss, Brian Laudrup, just a few who sprang to mind ??
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #12: Jan 03, 2023 08:41:00 pm

I dont have problem with admitting that i got few totally wrong.

Pablo aimar.

Givovanni dos Santos from barca to spurs i think.

Ashley young from villa.

Tello from barca to porto

Queresma, cant remember if he was at benfica or milan at that time. Had few silly rumors linking him to us back then, and i was so hyped for that.

Aquilani, although we did sign him. I was all over the rumor thread swearing how he was going to be better then stevie 😅

Cant remembered the whole name of that Blackburn striker, costa or something.

Owen from real, he was my childhood hero. Heartbroken when he left us, and i wanted him back.

There are probably few others too whom i cant remember. After remembering Aimar, i do wish we would have signed him.

He was so F***ing good with the ball on his feet. It was like the ball was glued to his feet. You know some players look so good playing football, every their move looks sexy. That was aimar at Valencia.

Im going to watch some youtube vids of him now.

Great thread btw 👍🏼
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #13: Jan 03, 2023 08:46:55 pm
      I dont have problem with admitting that i got few totally wrong.

Pablo aimar.

Givovanni dos Santos from barca to spurs i think.

Ashley young from villa.

Tello from barca to porto

Queresma, cant remember if he was at benfica or milan at that time. Had few silly rumors linking him to us back then, and i was so hyped for that.

Aquilani, although we did sign him. I was all over the rumor thread swearing how he was going to be better then stevie 😅

Cant remembered the whole name of that Blackburn striker, costa or something.

Owen from real, he was my childhood hero. Heartbroken when he left us, and i wanted him back.

There are probably few others too whom i cant remember. After remembering Aimar, i do wish we would have signed him.

He was so F***ing good with the ball on his feet. It was like the ball was glued to his feet. You know some players look so good playing football, every their move looks sexy. That was aimar at Valencia.

Im going to watch some youtube vids of him now.

Great thread btw 👍🏼

Tore us a new one when Rafa's Valencia played us at Anfield.

Another one I was convinced we where nailed on to get was David Silva after just missing out on the title to Utd in 09.

Didn't have clue Rafa only had about a fiver to spend on players, but was convinced he was yhag one player that would of completed that Rafa team.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,138 posts | 1193 
      Reply #14: Jan 03, 2023 09:06:46 pm
      Aimar is a great shout. He was actually a good player to be fair (also another great buy on what used to be called Champ Man) but probably too lightweight for the prem and he never hit the heights in the end.

There was another Argie, Barce striker, Saviola? I remember thinking he would be the bollocks. Hugely injury prone though.

Not one I wanted us to sign but does anyone remember how good Julius Aghahowa became   ;D the new Ali Dia  :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #15: Jan 03, 2023 09:13:51 pm
      Aimar is a great shout. He was actually a good player to be fair (also another great buy on what used to be called Champ Man) but probably too lightweight for the prem and he never hit the heights in the end.

There was another Argie, Barce striker, Saviola? I remember thinking he would be the bollocks. Hugely injury prone though.

Not one I wanted us to sign but does anyone remember how good Julius Aghahowa became   ;D the new Ali Dia  :D

And scored against us after he left Barca at Monaco on the way to Istanbul
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #16: Jan 03, 2023 09:53:55 pm
      I always wanted les Ferdinand.
      There were rumours and my hopes lifted… but alas.

Other than that one player I always wished we would have signed was Dion Dublin.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #17: Jan 04, 2023 05:21:44 am
      I always hype up the fact that I called Robbos greatness before we signed up. I tend to leave out I said I wanted Michael Keane over VVD.  :f_whistle:

Todd Cantwell was another I was WAAYYY off on

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #18: Jan 04, 2023 01:54:08 pm
      Dempsey 🥸

At the time, I thought he was just the type of pr**k we needed. Our team was soft. Oh well.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #19: Jan 04, 2023 07:07:54 pm
      I wanted us to sign Keane from Forest once upon a time.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,138 posts | 1193 
      Reply #20: Jan 04, 2023 07:41:57 pm
      Jeez, f***in brain hurts already, eh ok not in any particular order, Paul McStay, Barry Ferguson, Gary Speed, Didier Drogba, Lillian Thuram, Kaka, Rui Costa, Cannavarro, Le Tiss, Brian Laudrup, just a few who sprang to mind ??

John Mcginn, Billy Gilmour! Anyone decent who is Scottish  :D
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #21: Jan 04, 2023 08:29:02 pm
      I always wanted Defoe. Van der Sar when he was with Fulham.

Was so sad when Clint Dempsey didn't choose us, only because I wanted a player with my name being said by the commentary, I was so immature young teenager. Now I'm 31.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #22: Jan 05, 2023 08:24:43 am
      Dele Alli.

Quick Reply