Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Weird Signings You Wanted Us To Make

Read 4065 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Weird Signings You Wanted Us To Make
      Reply #46: Mar 05, 2023 01:22:08 pm
      Pretty sure I’ve heard him say he wanted to come back but it was Real who put that price tag on him , and the club baulked at it , listening to him talk about it I think it was taken out of his hands so to speak , think Real stitched him as much as they stitched us , mind he was a c**t for going down the a580 .

Not really, Newcastle bid what Madrid wanted. Rafa was playing the long game with Real, he knew what they were doing, plus getting shut for what we did, there was no way we were going to pay £16 million for him. Owen had a simple decision if he wanted to come back which was say no to Newcastle and we'd play hardball with Real until they relented at around £8 million.

Owen panicked about his England place and off he went in his helicopter to Geordieland.

It was purely in that shitbag"s hands. F**k him.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #47: Mar 05, 2023 01:35:32 pm
      Gazza for sure and  Hazard were 2 i would have liked
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #48: Mar 05, 2023 01:52:44 pm
      Not really, Newcastle bid what Madrid wanted. Rafa was playing the long game with Real, he knew what they were doing, plus getting shut for what we did, there was no way we were going to pay £16 million for him. Owen had a simple decision if he wanted to come back which was say no to Newcastle and we'd play hardball with Real until they relented at around £8 million.

Owen panicked about his England place and off he went in his helicopter to Geordieland.

It was purely in that shitbag"s hands. F**k him.

Didn’t they stitch us  with the Macca deal as well if my memory serves me right
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #49: Mar 05, 2023 01:56:19 pm
      Didn’t they stitch us  with the Macca deal as well if my memory serves me right

No they did what they always do wait for a contract to run down or encourage player to run down contract. Thst's why Owen's agent was on permo hiatus every time Parry tried to nail him down for contract talks. Owen knew what he was doing for the move out there and knew what he was doing when he left Real.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #50: Mar 05, 2023 02:53:50 pm
      and we'd play hardball with Real until they relented at around £8 million.

And we could of thrown in Nunez to sweeten the deal.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #51: Mar 05, 2023 03:58:01 pm
      Would of happily taken Paul Jones on a permanent transfer in the mid 90s rather than a poxy loan spell in Houllier's last year. Him, Martyn or Flowers in our 90s team and we win at least one League title under Evans in my opinion. Not so much Seaman, thought he was vastly overrated because he played behind an incredible back four at Arsenal and showed how prone to cock ups he was when he played for England. Anyone would of been an improvement on James though.

Sticking with the Saints, Jason Dodd as just a reliable right back. With injuries ruining Rob Jones' career, I thought Dodd (or Gary Kelly from Leeds) would of been suitable replacements. Instead we got Veggard Heggem who I always liked and then Markus Babbel who was F***ing boss for that treble winning year.

Micah Richards after the Youth Cup final in 06. I think he'd made his debut for the City first team by then and he looked a F***ing monster amongst the rest of those kids. Whether his career would of worked out better with Rafa as his manager, we'll never know.

I remember when Sunderland went down in the early 2000s, thinking Jody Craddock would of made for a decent option as cover for Hyypia or Henchoz.

Morten Gamst Pedersen when he was the flavour of the month because he got a couple of good free kicks for Blackburn. Versatile left sided player with an actual left foot. Could of worked well with Riise down that side.

There was a time when Middlesbrough were producing Premier League player after Premier League player from their youth system, similar to what Southampton have been praised for in recent years and one of them that I always like was James Morrison and was shocked when he ended up at West Brom. It was around the time we were signing Pennant to play as our right winger.

Another ex Baggie and not just for his goal in the World Cup (or Euros can't remember) but Zoltan Gera was one who I always thought had enough to step up to a top team. Had a decent career with West Brom and Fulham but never reached the heights I thought he would.

A left footed central midfielder who I always liked when he was breaking through at Villa was Barry Bannan and I think I may well of said as much on this forum at some point that we should of bought him. I know me mam's cousin loves him as he's a Wednesday fan where Bannan has spent most of his career.

I was always a fan of Stan Lazaridis when he was at West Ham and then Birmingham, though I think we did better signing Paddy Berger instead.

Wilfried Bony was one who's hype I believed when he was banging them in at Swansea and thought City had a real gem when they bought him but his career didn't work out that way. He ended up being a total flop after leaving Wales.

And his strike partner in this team would be Kevin Doyle who I thought looked a decent player at Reading and did no more than ok at Wolves. I would throw Sylvan Ebanks-Blake into this list but once I found out he was an ex-United player, I never wanted us to go near him so his ex-Wolves teammate, Kevin Doyle will have to go in.

Quick Reply