No transfer > wrong transfer?

Read 1887 times
      sarnobat
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 11 posts |
      No transfer > wrong transfer?
      Aug 23, 2023 10:10:45 pm
      There's so much negative PR because of our "failure" to sign all the players we wanted but I feel like half of those voices are just looking for retail therapy.

That would have gotten me excited back in 2002 but we ended up signing Diouf, Diao, Diarra and Cheyrou.

Is there something to be said for sticking to high quality even if it means having to play the waiting game, and if we just don't have the money (or are not willing to mortgage our future), we're doing the right thing?

My only criticism is not from this window, but from 3 years ago after we won the league and were not succession planning enough. I was worried back then but all the positive PR drowned those voices out mostly.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Re: No transfer > wrong transfer?
      Reply #1: Aug 23, 2023 10:16:36 pm
      In a word yes.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,211 posts | 1214 
      Reply #2: Aug 23, 2023 11:10:30 pm

My only criticism is not from this window, but from 3 years ago after we won the league and were not succession planning enough. I was worried back then but all the positive PR drowned those voices out mostly.

Strange conclusion to reach if you ask me. If the criticism applied when we won the league, this summer is an a fortiori case by comparison given the shortcomings that were exposed last season. I think we started the window well and like the fact that reliability is a key attribute of the players we've signed but I think we've not yet gone far enough and are leaving it pretty late to get the work done.
      sarnobat
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 11 posts |
      Reply #3: Aug 24, 2023 12:51:21 am
      Strange conclusion to reach if you ask me. If the criticism applied when we won the league, this summer is an a fortiori case by comparison given the shortcomings that were exposed last season. I think we started the window well and like the fact that reliability is a key attribute of the players we've signed but I think we've not yet gone far enough and are leaving it pretty late to get the work done.

1) 2 good midfielders and 2) refusing to match Chelsea's ludicrous bid, and 3) limiting our bid to what we felt was fair value for a 19 year old, wouldn't have felt like an awful transfer window (though it does) had we bought a central midfielder 12 months ago.

What's worse than having a thin squad is having a bloated one where half the players are mediocre and money is going down the drain on wages while better players out there are joining rivals and we can't offload benchwarmers who are happy to collect a paycheck (didn't Rafa have about 35 players at one point?).

I hate that we're relying on Jones, Bajcetic and Thiago but padding our squad to avoid playing these players with affordable players is best done in small doses (so I'm accepting of this Stuttgart bloke even though it's an exception to buying top talent).
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,533 posts | 722 
      Reply #4: Sep 07, 2023 02:23:43 pm
      From, Everton, to Man United, to Leicester City, to Villa, to Forest to West Ham, to Chelsea.

There are clubs that spend and splash major cash during transfer windows in every season and then do absolutely nothing on the pitch.

What really matters is what happens during the 90 mins at the end of the day. It's important to remember that every summer and not start freaking out.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #5: Sep 07, 2023 03:15:23 pm
      From, Everton, to Man United, to Leicester City, to Villa, to Forest to West Ham, to Chelsea.

There are clubs that spend and splash major cash during transfer windows in every season and then do absolutely nothing on the pitch.

What really matters is what happens during the 90 mins at the end of the day. It's important to remember that every summer and not start freaking out.

Eh, you'd think people would have learned by now, but they won't. As the season progresses, the moment we drop points the usual people go "where's my calculator! i need to look at our net spend"
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,533 posts | 722 
      Reply #6: Sep 07, 2023 03:55:40 pm
      Eh, you'd think people would have learned by now, but they won't. As the season progresses, the moment we drop points the usual people go "where's my calculator! i need to look at our net spend"

M8 its every season the same thing. We've seen this happen time an time again.

Like you said, a team will have a rough run of games and suddenly everyone is sh*t and same players start getting scapegoated

Or my fave is after 10/12 games a mid table team will be doing really well, get all the plaudits and then suddenly drop off and no one mentions it ever again. ;D

Quick Reply