Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool 2-2 Wolves: In game and post match discussion

Read 16153 times
      Prime
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts | 12 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Wolves (FA Cup)
      Reply #460: Jan 07, 2023 10:21:39 pm
      If Klopp had any balls he’d sit some asses on the bench if they’re not gonna go all out. Put in some guys who actually give a sh*t and will play hard. If we’re gonna lose, I’d rather watch them go down swinging rather than roll over.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,925 posts | 3401 
      Reply #461: Jan 07, 2023 10:21:55 pm
      Painful watching Matheus Nunes make mince meat of Liverpool’s midfield there knowing Liverpool actively chose not to sign him last summer because they only wanted “the right player”…before signing Arthur Melo on loan deadline day.

https://twitter.com/joel_archie/status/1611845091328499719?s=46&t=NsK2xb64j1rqUEnRtK9oYA

🤔
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,259 posts | 1391 
      Reply #462: Jan 07, 2023 10:23:22 pm
      Yeah but we can't, in all fairness, land on Alisson. He has saved the defense so many times that I've lost count. He's had a poor game but he's getting no decent cover.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,153 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #463: Jan 07, 2023 10:23:54 pm
      Klopp needs to earn his crust now.
      The squad is way better than what he’s getting out of it.

He needs to either drop the players who have been off form for the best part of a year or find a new system that makes us hard to beat.

Keeping things the same is not an option.

The only way to tighten or shore things up is for Klopp to sacrifice the attacking full backs to protect the weak midfield. The problem there is that you are sacrificing your greatest asset to compensate for your weakest asset.

The other option is we go 4-4-2. The problem with that is we can't even field a capable 3 man midfield so God knows where we find that extra midfielder to accommodate that system.

A 3-5-2 is basically the same as our attacking full back 4-3-3 system which again exposes our midfield.

I have always favoured the 4-2-3-1 system, think Rafa had it to a tee. We have the players to make this work.

What we all seem to be forgetting though is that if FSG hadn't allow this midfield situation to occur in the first place then we wouldn't even be in this situation.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,565 posts | 391 
      Reply #464: Jan 07, 2023 10:24:24 pm
      replay isnt *that* disastrous in terms of fixtures as January isnt actually that busy. but the performance was obviously deeply concerning. im very worried about the rest of the season. thought the break might help, but nothing has changed. in fact i actually think we look worse since before the world cup
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,261 posts | 757 
      Reply #465: Jan 07, 2023 10:25:34 pm
      Carbon copy of the rank bad football we've been served all season, to be honest I don't think any of us can see signs of an upturn anytime soon. Something very very wrong. I've seen loads of worse Liverpool teams than these, but I can't remember such a drop off in quality from the same players from last season to this....It seems strange to think we were in the Champions League final not that long ago.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #466: Jan 07, 2023 10:25:43 pm
      Would like to see more of Doak. Thought he was full of ideas. He was trying things. Could use some of that now.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,925 posts | 3401 
      Reply #467: Jan 07, 2023 10:25:55 pm
      The only way to tighten or shore things up is for Klopp to sacrifice the attacking full backs to protect the weak midfield. The problem there is that you are sacrificing your greatest asset to compensate for your weakest asset.

The other option is we go 4-4-2. The problem with that is we can't even field a capable 3 man midfield so God knows where we find that extra midfielder to accommodate that system.

A 3-5-2 is basically the same as our attacking full back 4-3-3 system which again exposes our midfield.

I have always favoured the 4-2-3-1 system, think Rafa had it to a tee. We have the players to make this work.

What we all seem to be forgetting though is that if FSG hadn't allow this midfield situation to occur in the first place then we wouldn't even be in this situation.

Is it not the manager and the recruitment team being the reason 🤷‍♂️ they are the ones that’s spent ÂŁ120mil on players since July and mainly on forwards and a right back
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #468: Jan 07, 2023 10:27:38 pm
      Yeah but we can't, in all fairness, land on Alisson. He has saved the defense so many times that I've lost count. He's had a poor game but he's getting no decent cover.

When you look at the stats for 'big chances given away', it's pretty clear that without Ali we'd be in the bottom half of the table so not going to go in on him tonight. He was poor but he's saved us so much.

It's more the 10 in front of him that have regularly not turned up for the last 4 months.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #469: Jan 07, 2023 10:27:47 pm
      Painful watching Matheus Nunes make mince meat of Liverpool’s midfield there knowing Liverpool actively chose not to sign him last summer because they only wanted “the right player”…before signing Arthur Melo on loan deadline day.

Matheus was next level wasn’t he, gliding past our players with ease.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #470: Jan 07, 2023 10:30:12 pm
      When you look at the stats for 'big chances given away', it's pretty clear that without Ali we'd be in the bottom half of the table so not going to go in on him tonight. He was poor but he's saved us so much.

It's more the 10 in front of him that have regularly not turned up for the last 4 months.

Don’t be so negative we won the last 3 out of 4 before tonight 🤭

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #471: Jan 07, 2023 10:30:31 pm
      Matheus was next level wasn’t he, gliding past our players with ease.

In fairness it's easy to do that when noone is tackling you.
      Prime
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts | 12 
      Reply #472: Jan 07, 2023 10:30:40 pm
      Carbon copy of the rank bad football we've been served all season, to be honest I don't think any of us can see signs of an upturn anytime soon. Something very very wrong. I've seen loads of worse Liverpool teams than these, but I can't remember such a drop off in quality from the same players from last season to this....It seems strange to think we were in the Champions League final not that long ago.
      Well, they didn’t just magically get worse. Either they’re not putting in as much effort as before, which there is evidence of, or other teams have figured them out and they haven’t adjusted, which is harder to believe.

Also, is it just me… but I don’t see any creativity. I see other teams scoring or getting good looks in creative ways. I don’t see that from our side.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,925 posts | 3401 
      Reply #473: Jan 07, 2023 10:31:03 pm
      In fairness it's easy to do that when noone is tackling you.

He allowed to pick up the ball and turn with ease
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,153 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #474: Jan 07, 2023 10:32:35 pm
      How is he being “treated” and Klopp won’t walk if they don’t sell the club 🤦‍♂️

He is being treated with disrespect. He is not being given the tools to do the job. The midfield fiasco is the culmination of that disrespect and neglect.

If FSG stay for next Season and continue to neglect the squad do you honestly think Klopp will stay and see his stock decline? Something has to give. FSG have openly admitted they can take us no further without external investment.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #475: Jan 07, 2023 10:33:48 pm

Sums up the shambles of last summer. And don't forget giving Curtis Jones a 5 year deal and retaining keita and Chamberlain.

So many good players available last summer and we did f*ck all and boy are we paying a heavy price for it now.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,693 posts | 892 
      Reply #476: Jan 07, 2023 10:34:40 pm
      He is being treated with disrespect. He is not being given the tools to do the job. The midfield fiasco is the culmination of that disrespect and neglect.

If FSG stay for next Season and continue to neglect the squad do you honestly think Klopp will stay and see his stock decline? Something has to give. FSG have openly admitted they can take us no further without external investment.

have they? i havent seen any article suggesting that. im no fsg fan, im just wondering if they have come out and said that they cant compete with others?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,925 posts | 3401 
      Reply #477: Jan 07, 2023 10:35:40 pm

They have just spent ÂŁ40mil on a forward ,spent about ÂŁ80mil on one in the summer - that was the managers choice

How is he being treated with disrespect by them 🤷‍♂️
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,925 posts | 3401 
      Reply #478: Jan 07, 2023 10:37:15 pm
      Sums up the shambles of last summer. And don't forget giving Curtis Jones a 5 year deal and retaining keita and Chamberlain.

So many good players available last summer and we did f*ck all and boy are we paying a heavy price for it now.

1.  what’s wrong with giving Jones a new contract when it’s a player that Klopp clearly likes

2. How many bids did we receive for AOC or Keita ?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #479: Jan 07, 2023 10:38:02 pm
      If Klopp had any balls he’d sit some asses on the bench if they’re not gonna go all out. Put in some guys who actually give a sh*t and will play hard. If we’re gonna lose, I’d rather watch them go down swinging rather than roll over.

Thought Doak did well when he came on.
      But when Elliot and Keita came on we had a midfield that didn't tackle anymore.
      Thought Gomez did OK but is he gonna give more going forward than TAA.
      AOC won't be digging us out of any hole.
      Jota and Diaz will give us some options up front, but that's about it.
      Think our best bet might be to change formation/style of play to be harder to beat, though maybe less attractive to watch. Not sure JĂźrgen will do that though.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,261 posts | 757 
      Reply #480: Jan 07, 2023 10:39:34 pm
      Well, they didn’t just magically get worse. Either they’re not putting in as much effort as before, which there is evidence of, or other teams have figured them out and they haven’t adjusted, which is harder to believe.

Also, is it just me… but I don’t see any creativity. I see other teams scoring or getting good looks in creative ways. I don’t see that from our side.
      Like you and the rest of us I'm truly at a loss to explain what we are watching week in week out. Miserable times.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #481: Jan 07, 2023 10:40:09 pm
      This system is SOOO demanding. Hendo, Fab, Gini, Milner, etc. They were all ask to do soo much running. Bobby too. However, eventually it catches up with you. This system absolutely works if you're young and new (I forsee Darwin and Gakpo to do well in time). But when you're older and worn down, you start to show in your legs. We have a bunch of players who are at this point. It happens.

The short term answer is change the tactics. Swallow your pride and go with a 4-2-3-1. The long term answer is most of the players who helped you win everything are going to have to go or take a back seat to newer players.

I'm starting to wonder if Klopp is capable of doing this..... Year 7 funk isn't completely crazy theory when you watch what we're producing this season. We're asking our players to do things I don't think they're capable of doing week in and week out. Maybe we need to ask the club and manager to try something new?
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,693 posts | 892 
      Reply #482: Jan 07, 2023 10:40:13 pm

1.  what’s wrong with giving Jones a new contract when it’s a player that Klopp clearly likes

2. How many bids did we receive for AOC or Keita ?

Cant see any bid for AOC coming in. We should have just terminated his contracted few years ago, to free up some space for another homegrown player. Im not sure who decides things like that, but sometimes you just need to be brutal. 

Quick Reply