Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Wolves v Liverpool F.A Cup 3rd Round Replay Tues 17th Jan 19:45

Read 4378 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Re: Pre-Match: Wolves v Liverpool F.A Cup 3rd Round Replay Tues 17th Jan 19:45
      Reply #69: Jan 17, 2023 04:28:22 pm
      I would certainly play Kelleher, he did OK in cup completions last season, besides give Alisson a break.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #70: Jan 17, 2023 04:29:33 pm
      Just don’t give a F**k at the moment but obviously hope we win
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #71: Jan 17, 2023 04:48:59 pm
      I would certainly play Kelleher, he did OK in cup completions last season, besides give Alisson a break.

Yea I wont be surprised if he starts tbh.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #72: Jan 17, 2023 05:06:32 pm
      Think the Boss has said Alisson will be the keeper in the FA cup. It's about the tactics for me. Been all over the place recently. Has to get a grip of the midfield and do something about the high line. Bulk up the midfield, play a 3-5-2...whatever it takes we need a disciplined performance.

Getting stuffed tonight will really set the alarm bells ringing.
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #73: Jan 17, 2023 05:21:13 pm

The team I’d play

TAA Konate Gomez Tsimikas

Fab
              Keita       Jones

Salah    Gakpo  Carvalho

Or

Jones out for Elliot. 442 with Elliot and Carvalho wide and Salah and Gakpo up top.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #74: Jan 17, 2023 05:57:53 pm
      Think the Boss has said Alisson will be the keeper in the FA cup. It's about the tactics for me. Been all over the place recently. Has to get a grip of the midfield and do something about the high line. Bulk up the midfield, play a 3-5-2...whatever it takes we need a disciplined performance.

Getting stuffed tonight will really set the alarm bells ringing.

Ringing more than they already are?

Look, we are going to rest a lot of our regular starters tonight as the league is by far our priority (we are not going to win the Champions League this season, we just aren't). You play to win every  match of course, but it is going to be a tall order to qualify for European football next season. I feel like the m.o. with the team at this point is about rebuilding the type of team that can contend for top honors everywhere. Jürgen is the man to lead us there, but the project will take some time. There's injured players to rehabilitate, young players to blood in and new players to recruit. We'll be working on it for at least 8 months.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #75: Jan 17, 2023 05:57:59 pm
      Said Darwin is very close but I wouldn't think it's worth the risk. These pacy guys can pull up sharpish and miss 6 games.

Milner, Jones, Fab in mid. I'd add Thiago in there and play Mo & Cody up top.

Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #76: Jan 17, 2023 06:04:28 pm
      Ringing more than they already are?

Look, we are going to rest a lot of our regular starters tonight as the league is by far our priority (we are not going to win the Champions League this season, we just aren't). You play to win every  match of course, but it is going to be a tall order to qualify for European football next season. I feel like the m.o. with the team at this point is about rebuilding the type of team that can contend for top honors everywhere. Jürgen is the man to lead us there, but the project will take some time. There's injured players to rehabilitate, young players to blood in and new players to recruit. We'll be working on it for at least 8 months.

Robby,

What makes you think we can't win the Champions league this season ?
      I know we wouldn't, but what if we prioritised the C/L and went all out to win it, as winners you are automatically in next year's competition.  Less games than in the league for a top four finish.
      As I said we wouldn't do it but just a thought.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #77: Jan 17, 2023 06:13:06 pm

Robby,

What makes you think we can't win the Champions league this season ?
      I know we wouldn't, but what if we prioritised the C/L and went all out to win it, as winners you are automatically in next year's competition.  Less games than in the league for a top four finish.
      As I said we wouldn't do it but just a thought.

Short answer is we concede too many and don't score enough - but I think a few players have dropped off more and faster than expected. It is very difficult for me to imagine us putting in the types of performances required over 7 matches to win that competition.
      Gomo
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Re: Wolves v Liverpool F.A Cup 3rd Round Replay Tues 17th Jan 19:45 Kick Off
      Reply #78: Jan 17, 2023 06:20:22 pm
      True. I can't stand him playing Academy players almost every time we play a cup game unless we're in a semi-final. Losing this would be a big hit, and I would not be mad if he leaves after that. It's a must-win.

Disagree the regulars have been dog turd, couldnt care less about this competition this season, won it last year and finsihg 10th in the league with and FA cup win wouldnt be worth celebrating.

I want to see the kids play especially in midfield, something has to change and since i doubt the sytem will it has to be the personel. Id be happy to lose with kids and see a performace than watch the same dross being served up yet again with the usual faces.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #79: Jan 17, 2023 06:23:45 pm
      Short answer is we concede too many and don't score enough - but I think a few players have dropped off more and faster than expected. It is very difficult for me to imagine us putting in the types of performances required over 7 matches to win that competition.

I can’t believe people think we have the slightest chance in the UCL - we’re absolutely finished this season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #80: Jan 17, 2023 06:31:01 pm
      I can’t believe people think we have the slightest chance in the UCL - we’re absolutely finished this season.

In terms of trophies, yes.

I'm trying to think of the remainder of this season as a phase of discovering/selecting/building the pieces to another world class football team. Sure the time table jumped us a little bit here, but think of the adventure we've had since Jürgen arrived. Here's the next chapter of that just about to begin.
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2023 06:37:29 pm by Robby The Z »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #81: Jan 17, 2023 06:35:03 pm

Where were you in 2005? No one believed we could get to Istanbul. I even got laughed at for suggesting just that during the 1-0 home defeat in the qualifier against the Austrian team we played. Would of loved to have seen those lads in Istanbul!!

We're F***ing Liverpool FC of course we've still got a chance. Plus we owe those Franco tw*ts.
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #82: Jan 17, 2023 06:44:28 pm
      Of course we have a chance to win the Champions league, we've done it with a much worse team in the past and against a team better than any in this years one. Well you could say Man City's team is that quality or close but they fumble and can't win it, this year they might but no point just not even having any hope in winning it ourselves. I still want us to try to win the FA cup, I want to see the playing pick up their downed tools and do something for the manager for all the stuff he's done for them, make them into world renowned names, like Salah for instance, a reject now whoaaaow Salah this that and the everything, repay the manager, TAA get your head back in order, Robbo, stop running around like a wild turkey, Fabinho, stop playing like an old age pensioner who can't be arsed etc etc.

Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #83: Jan 17, 2023 06:47:35 pm
      Where were you in 2005? No one believed we could get to Istanbul. I even got laughed at for suggesting just that during the 1-0 home defeat in the qualifier against the Austrian team we played. Would of loved to have seen those lads in Istanbul!!

We're f**king Liverpool FC of course we've still got a chance. Plus we owe those Franco tw*ts.

Istanbul and the run to the final was built on defensive dominance, organisation ... discipline and doing alot of running.

This team couldn't keep a clean sheet if their lives depended on it. We don't score many. We don't run much. We've got no discipline, no shape, no tactics and a severe lack of quality in midfield.

That team had Gerrard as well.

Whilst this team quality wise should be better than 05 ... I don't see any reason to believe we can win the CL this season. I see Madrid putting 3 or 4 past us in both games sadly.

It is sport though ... anything can happen. So whilst I can't see it ... its not impossible obviously.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #84: Jan 17, 2023 06:49:17 pm
      Istanbul and the run to the final was built on defensive dominance, organisation ... discipline and doing alot of running.

This team couldn't keep a clean sheet if their lives depended on it. We don't score many. We don't run much. We've got no discipline, no shape, no tactics and a severe lack of quality in midfield.

That team had Gerrard as well.

Whilst this team quality wise should be better than 05 ... I don't see any reason to believe we can win the CL this season. I see Madrid putting 3 or 4 past us in both games sadly.

It is sport though ... anything can happen. So whilst I can't see it ... its not impossible obviously.

The same Gerrard that got run ragged by Kaka in the first half of the final?

We also still had Didi!! ;)

Quick Reply