Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Our squad + next season

Read 8217 times
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 306 posts | 43 
      Our squad + next season
      Jan 15, 2023 09:47:43 am
      I thought Iā€™d go through our squad and see where everyone feels we need to improve going forward and give everyone else a chance to give their opinion.

Our current first team squad including players out on loan to return next season:

Goalkeepers

Alisson
      Kelleher
      Adrian
      Pitaluga

Defenders

Alexander-Arnold
      Ramsay

Van Dijk
      Konate
      Matip
      Gomez
      Phillips
      Williams
      Van den Berg

Robertson
      Tsimikas

Midfielders

Henderson
      Thiago
      Fabinho
      Elliott
      Keita
      Carvalho
      Milner
      Jones
      Arthur
      Oxlade-Chamberlain
      Morton
      Bajcetic

Strikers

Salah
      Diaz
      Nunez
      Jota
      Gakpo
      Firmino
      Doak

Players who will/might leave from the above:

Kelleher - He will want first team football
      Adrian - Contract expiring
      Pitaluga - Another loan
      Phillips - He will want first team football
      Williams - His loan spell at Blackpool has been inconsistent so I expect we will loan him back out or sell him if the right offer comes in
      Van den Berg - He picked up a bad injury after a decent start at Schalke, I expect he will go back out on loan next season
      Oxlade-Chamberlain - Contact expiring
      Keita - Contract expiring
      Milner - Contract expiring
      Jones - I feel he needs to move on and get some first team minutes
      Arthur - End of loan
      Firmino - Iā€™d love him to stay another season but he may not get a lot of game time.

Looking at the squad, I can see us doing a lot of business both in and out this summer, if all of the above happens we are going to need to bring in a 2nd choice keeper and an older one for 3rd choice, Iā€™d also buy a young-ish CB who can fill in as and when we pick up injuries (someone aged 19-21). Midfield is the biggest talking point and I can see all of the out of contract players moving on + itā€™s almost certain Arthur will go back to Juventus. I expect we will bring in 2 or 3 in for midfield plus we will have Morton back from loan and Bajcetic who can fill in. Upfront if Firmino moves on I expect we will bring in another 19-21 year old winger who can fill in as and when.

Overall I donā€™t think we need an ā€œoverhaulā€ cos itā€™s highly unlikely we will move on all of our midfielders like some people are suggesting. I just think we need to bring in fresh, motivated players in who can take some of the workload off of the current crop who have worked so hard and given us so many good times in recent years.

I expect with a fully fit squad at the start of next season strongest squad will look something like this:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold
      Konate
      Van Dijk (c)
      Robertson

New CM
      Fabinho
      New CM

Salah
      Nunez
      Diaz

Subs:

New GK
      Gomez
      Tsimikas
      Henderson
      Thiago
      New CM
      Elliott
      Jota
      Gakpo

Reserve:

New GK
      New CB
      Carvalho
      Morton
      Bajcetic
      Doak

Iā€™m not going to speculate who we are going to bring in as Iā€™m really not sure what funds we will have, Iā€™ve just given my opinion on what we need to help the squad grow.

I honestly donā€™t think that things are as bad as the media are making out, I understand as fans we all hit a low point when we draw or lose, thatā€™s only natural. But it seems the squad is absolutely exhausted and needs freshening up. I think with Klopp and his team and keeping the core of this squad together and allowing Hendo, Thiago etc some rest we will be fine moving forward. Klopp knew this period was coming, I remember when he signed his contract he said ā€œI want to be here for the transitionā€ and thatā€™s what happening, we are not in free fall, we are in transition.

Letā€™s keep on supporting our beloved LFC.

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Our squad + next season
      Reply #1: Jan 15, 2023 10:34:29 am
      I thought Iā€™d go through our squad and see where everyone feels we need to improve going forward and give everyone else a chance to give their opinion.

Our current first team squad including players out on loan to return next season:

Goalkeepers

Alisson
      Kelleher
      Adrian
      Pitaluga

Defenders

Alexander-Arnold
      Ramsay

Van Dijk
      Konate
      Matip
      Gomez
      Phillips
      Williams
      Van den Berg

Robertson
      Tsimikas

Midfielders

Henderson
      Thiago
      Fabinho
      Elliott
      Keita
      Carvalho
      Milner
      Jones
      Arthur
      Oxlade-Chamberlain
      Morton
      Bajcetic

Strikers

Salah
      Diaz
      Nunez
      Jota
      Gakpo
      Firmino
      Doak

Pitaluga - Another loan
      Williams - His loan spell at Blackpool has been inconsistent so I expect we will loan him back out or sell him if the right offer comes in
      Van den Berg - He picked up a bad injury after a decent start at Schalke, I expect he will go back out on loan next season
      Arthur - End of loan
      Firmino - Iā€™d love him to stay another season but he may not get a lot of game time.

Looking at the squad, I can see us doing a lot of business both in and out this summer, if all of the above happens we are going to need to bring in a 2nd choice keeper and an older one for 3rd choice, Iā€™d also buy a young-ish CB who can fill in as and when we pick up injuries (someone aged 19-21). Midfield is the biggest talking point and I can see all of the out of contract players moving on + itā€™s almost certain Arthur will go back to Juventus. I expect we will bring in 2 or 3 in for midfield plus we will have Morton back from loan and Bajcetic who can fill in. Upfront if Firmino moves on I expect we will bring in another 19-21 year old winger who can fill in as and when.

Overall I donā€™t think we need an ā€œoverhaulā€ cos itā€™s highly unlikely we will move on all of our midfielders like some people are suggesting. I just think we need to bring in fresh, motivated players in who can take some of the workload off of the current crop who have worked so hard and given us so many good times in recent years.

I expect with a fully fit squad at the start of next season strongest squad will look something like this:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold
      Konate
      Van Dijk (c)
      Robertson

New CM
      Fabinho
      New CM

Salah
      Nunez
      Diaz

Subs:

New GK
      Gomez
      Tsimikas
      Henderson
      Thiago
      New CM
      Elliott
      Jota
      Gakpo

Reserve:

New GK
      New CB
      Carvalho
      Morton
      Bajcetic
      Doak

Iā€™m not going to speculate who we are going to bring in as Iā€™m really not sure what funds we will have, Iā€™ve just given my opinion on what we need to help the squad grow.

I honestly donā€™t think that things are as bad as the media are making out, I understand as fans we all hit a low point when we draw or lose, thatā€™s only natural. But it seems the squad is absolutely exhausted and needs freshening up. I think with Klopp and his team and keeping the core of this squad together and allowing Hendo, Thiago etc some rest we will be fine moving forward. Klopp knew this period was coming, I remember when he signed his contract he said ā€œI want to be here for the transitionā€ and thatā€™s what happening, we are not in free fall, we are in transition.

Great effort mate, but it might have been easier to list all those you want out or needs to find pastures new,
      For me itā€™s a complete and utter overhaul of the midfield, were ok up top and defense needs revamped, out of the back 4 only Konate has long term status, Matip, past his best, Gomez not good enough, big Nat & Rhys I donā€™t see them being shoe inā€™s or theyā€™d be there now, and the big fella Virgil has already shown signs of wear & tear, so we need to be looking for a replacement soon,

Midfield is done for me, and I include Hendo, Milner Fabinho, Ox, Thiago, Bobby, all done or simply donā€™t have the engine or energy to work in a Klopp midfield, in short the high intensity system used burns players out quickly so nothing short of a complete clear out will solve our issues, the likes of Naby , Jones, Arthur are for me out of their depth although Jones I think needs a run of games to bring the best out in him, unfortunately heā€™s not going to get that here if weā€™re hanging on to old legs like Milner, Hendo etc, Naby, Arthur shouldnā€™t get within a sniff of a Liverpool shirt,

Up top is our strongest dept, even though we are missing two thirds , but when all is well we have one of the best in the league, in goal, I think weā€™re sorted, Adrian will go but that just opens the door slightly for Pitaluga, Ali remains our go to stopper but Iā€™d rotate more with Kells to allow more rest for Ali and give more experience to Kelleher, if Kelleher gets more time between the sticks heā€™s less likely to want to move on ?

As for the young guns and the promising future stars the work continues, weā€™ve seen the introduction of Kelleher, Ramsey, Morton, Bacjetic, Doak, Clarke, et al, for me we should be seeing more of these young lads, not just in cup games but league fixtures too, itā€™s how you gain the experience you need, getting a run out for a five minute cameo maybe exciting for those concerned but when all is said and done itā€™s no more than a appreciation of their obvious talents, and to remind them ā€˜ Your nearly there ladā€™ ,

Thereā€™s absolutely no doubt the poisonous English media will be sharpening their toxic knives , preparing for the inevitable stabbing, but JĆ¼rgen will ride the storm and come back even better, just give the bloke the tools and heā€™ll deliver!!

Hope over Fear !! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Y  N  W  A

KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #2: Jan 15, 2023 10:38:30 am
      Two new midfield players

Keita, ox, jones out

New manager who has that mentality to change things and not let a club go down out of loyalty to old
      Pros
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #3: Jan 15, 2023 10:41:00 am
      Two new midfield players

Keita, ox, jones out

New manager who has that mentality to change things and not let a club go down out of loyalty to old
      Pros

What is it that Jones has done so wrong that means he is the current target for some
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #4: Jan 15, 2023 11:16:23 am

What is it that Jones has done so wrong that means he is the current target for some

He hasnā€™t improved since his debut. He has stalled.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #5: Jan 15, 2023 11:21:25 am
      Although, regarding jones and the other kids they will get more game time in Europa league or conference league next season. It could be a mini blessing.

Hope we donā€™t sell Kelleher.
      Possible we could sell Alison to raise funds?

Agree itā€™s the midfield that needs replacing. It consists of cripples and pensioners.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #6: Jan 15, 2023 11:31:07 am
      He hasnā€™t improved since his debut. He has stalled.

He has suffered some injuries over the past 6 months - it wasnā€™t that long ago he was superb during a good thrashing of Utd or Porto
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #7: Jan 15, 2023 12:16:03 pm

Goalkeepers

Alisson
      Kelleher
      Adrian
      Pitaluga

Defenders

Alexander-Arnold
      Ramsay

Van Dijk
      Konate
      Matip
      Gomez
      Phillips
      Williams
      Van den Berg

Robertson
      Tsimikas

Midfielders

Henderson
      Thiago
      Fabinho
      Elliott
      Keita
      Carvalho
      Milner
      Jones
      Arthur
      Oxlade-Chamberlain
      Morton
      Bajcetic

Strikers

Salah
      Diaz
      Nunez
      Jota
      Gakpo
      Firmino
      Doak

Pitaluga - Another loan
      Arthur - End of loan

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold
      Konate
      Van Dijk (c)
      Robertson

New CM
      Fabinho
      New CM

Salah
      Nunez
      Diaz

Subs:

New GK
      Gomez
      Tsimikas
      Henderson
      Thiago
      New CM
      Elliott
      Jota
      Gakpo

Reserve:

New GK
      New CB
      Carvalho
      Morton
      Bajcetic
      Doak

How you so sure about Kelleher wanting to leave? Genuine question.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #8: Jan 15, 2023 12:17:48 pm
      Two new midfield players

Keita, ox, jones out

Pros

Oh F**k off shitbag.

You're a F***ing disgrace now. I bet you wanted Rafa out in 2010 didn't you?
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #9: Jan 15, 2023 12:25:08 pm
      He has suffered some injuries over the past 6 months - it wasnā€™t that long ago he was superb during a good thrashing of Utd or Porto

He has had some good games. Personally I think he needs a season long loan somewhere now. Get games under his belt and take it from there.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #10: Jan 15, 2023 12:31:46 pm
      He has had some good games. Personally I think he needs a season long loan somewhere now. Get games under his belt and take it from there.

We have a midfield that needs energy , legs and better on the ball - he needs to get fit and be involved more
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #11: Jan 15, 2023 01:05:56 pm
      We have a midfield that needs energy , legs and better on the ball - he needs to get fit and be involved more

Which is why I think being in europa league may benefit some players.
      Jones needs to learn and Iā€™m not sure being part of this current team with the form we are on would help him much. Every mistake he would make would be jumped on.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #12: Jan 15, 2023 01:15:10 pm
      Which is why I think being in europa league may benefit some players.
      Jones needs to learn and Iā€™m not sure being part of this current team with the form we are on would help him much. Every mistake he would make would be jumped on.

Jones is not going to go on loan to ā€œlearnā€ - he is a first team player with just under 90 games for the first team

The only thing holding him back at the moment is a serious of injuries

Itā€™s typical reactionary bullshit where because a player isnā€™t playing suddenly becomes worse - he played 30 games last season for us

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #13: Jan 15, 2023 01:21:51 pm
      Jones is not going to go on loan to ā€œlearnā€ - he is a first team player with just under 90 games for the first team

The only thing holding him back at the moment is a serious of injuries

Itā€™s typical reactionary bullshit where because a player isnā€™t playing suddenly becomes worse - he played 30 games last season for us

And Ox has players every game this month but doesnā€™t stop him being ineffective and rubbish.

If you think jones is ready for our first team, fair enough. Personally I think heā€™s way off.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #14: Jan 15, 2023 01:23:57 pm
      And Ox has players every game this month but doesnā€™t stop him being ineffective and rubbish.

If you think jones is ready for our first team, fair enough. Personally I think heā€™s way off.

He has been playing for the first team for 3 seasons now 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø

Not sure what Ox has to do with it
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #15: Jan 15, 2023 01:28:59 pm
      He has been playing for the first team for 3 seasons now 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø

Not sure what Ox has to do with it

Ox has played about the same game in the past 2 years as jones. It doesnā€™t mean he is good enough.
      Djimi traore played a lot of games. He was never good enough either.

Jones doesnā€™t influence games. One day he may be good enough but right now, I donā€™t think he is the answer we need.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #16: Jan 15, 2023 01:38:08 pm
      Djimi traore played a lot of games. He was never good enough either.

And yet two goalline clearances contributed to us winning number 5. Not bad for a player not good enough!!
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #17: Jan 15, 2023 01:59:37 pm
      And yet two goalline clearances contributed to us winning number 5. Not bad for a player not good enough!!

Aye. Like dudek, saved his best games for the finals.

KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #18: Jan 15, 2023 02:14:47 pm

Heā€™s taking a squad space

For me we have to keep fab, hendo, Thiago and Elliott

Then bring in two new ones

So send jones out on loan to gains experience and fitness

We have too many average players in midfield now which klopp has kept for too long and itā€™s caused this issue of too many sheep and not enough farmers
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #19: Jan 15, 2023 02:29:42 pm
      Heā€™s taking a squad space

For me we have to keep fab, hendo, Thiago and Elliott

Then bring in two new ones

So send jones out on loan to gains experience and fitness

We have too many average players in midfield now which klopp has kept for too long and itā€™s caused this issue of too many sheep and not enough farmers

He still has potential. I wouldnā€™t bin him off just yet.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #20: Jan 15, 2023 02:34:48 pm
      He still has potential. I wouldnā€™t bin him off just yet.

Hence why loan is the right option, he most likely is done but itā€™s time we get ruthless

Klopp either will be sacked or he will get a chance to fix his mistakes, if he continues to be loyal to players who should not be here then klopp is done

Look at our league positions and performances, this is a real crisis we are in

From title challengers to mid table is a huge huge jump, itā€™s as big as someone like Leicester struggling in the drop zone from europa place they are used too

No more keeping average players, itā€™s over, I donā€™t think klopp will be here next season anyway as it will get much much worse this season before he goes, these average midfield players got enough of a free salary
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #21: Jan 15, 2023 02:41:24 pm
      Hence why loan is the right option, he most likely is done but itā€™s time we get ruthless

Klopp either will be sacked or he will get a chance to fix his mistakes, if he continues to be loyal to players who should not be here then klopp is done

From title challengers to mid table is a huge huge jump, itā€™s as big as someone like Leicester struggling in the drop zone from europa place they are used too

No more keeping average players, itā€™s over, I donā€™t think klopp will be here next season anyway as it will get much much worse this season before he goes, these average midfield players got enough of a free salary

Klopp's got enough credit banked to be given more time.

Proper real match-going fans get that - I wish armchair fans like you would get it too!!
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #22: Jan 15, 2023 02:47:15 pm

Yep. We need to steady the ship.

Quick Reply