Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Our squad + next season

Read 8213 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Our squad + next season
      Reply #92: Jan 17, 2023 10:20:50 am
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #93: Jan 17, 2023 01:11:46 pm

As for the young guns and the promising future stars the work continues, we’ve seen the introduction of Kelleher, Ramsey, Morton, Bacjetic, Doak, Clarke, et al, for me we should be seeing more of these young lads, not just in cup games but league fixtures too, it’s how you gain the experience you need, getting a run out for a five minute cameo maybe exciting for those concerned but when all is said and done it’s no more than a appreciation of their obvious talents, and to remind them ‘ Your nearly there lad’ ,

100% agreed with this billy. These young guys are very talented and need to get more game time.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #94: Jan 17, 2023 01:13:11 pm
      Although, regarding jones and the other kids they will get more game time in Europa league or conference league next season. It could be a mini blessing.

Could be the only positive about not finishing top 4 tbf.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #95: Jan 17, 2023 01:15:46 pm
      Was it him or Brendan who described Northampton as ‘mighty opponents?’

What days they were. That was when we were in poorer turmoil

The Hodgson days and souness days are the worst in my time.

Souness admits his errors now, ripped apart a winning squad too quickly. :(
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #96: Jan 17, 2023 01:21:54 pm
      Really don't see the need to rush Jones out the door.

I'd keep him as one of the midfielders as he's also able to play higher on the left as well. Still a very young player who I think can make it here.

Need him for the home grown quota as well.

Ox & Milner dropping out squad next season, leaving a big homegrown hole.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #97: Jan 17, 2023 02:12:21 pm

Yeah. Although it was an old squad though. Hated that era!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #98: Jan 17, 2023 02:19:45 pm
      Yeah. Although it was an old squad though. Hated that era!

Aye they were ageing tbf.

Trying to remember the exact details is tough, long time ago.

Quick google reveals selling beardsley was the biggest mistake. I now remember what was worse he went the everton :(
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #99: Jan 17, 2023 03:13:53 pm
      Klopp like Shankly is very loyal to his players.

Haven't they earned that loyalty from Jürgen in the way he's earned the loyalty from the fans due to what they've achieved together during Klopp's time as manager.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #100: Jan 17, 2023 06:37:19 pm

At least we won the FA Cup under Souey.

There was nothing but utter embarrassment under the owl.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #101: Jan 17, 2023 06:39:54 pm
      Haven't they earned that loyalty from Jürgen in the way he's earned the loyalty from the fans due to what they've achieved together during Klopp's time as manager.

Point being made those is just like Shankly after that Watford game, it's as clear as F***ing day we need to possibly break up the midfield and start again. Hendo, Milner and Thiago all over 30 and Fab playing like a 40 year old. Fresh legs are needed.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #102: Jan 17, 2023 08:46:52 pm
      At least we won the FA Cup under Souey.

There was nothing but utter embarrassment under the owl.

Agreed.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #103: Jan 17, 2023 08:50:06 pm
      Point being made those is just like Shankly after that Watford game, it's as clear as F***ing day we need to possibly break up the midfield and start again. Hendo, Milner and Thiago all over 30 and Fab playing like a 40 year old. Fresh legs are needed.

I agree that the midfield needs freshening up. And it probably has for a while because none of our current midfielders have ever convinced me they're worthy of the adulation they get.

But at the same time, I do get why Jürgen has remained so loyal to them and continued to persist with them because they've served his system so well over the years.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #104: Jan 17, 2023 08:52:56 pm
      I agree that the midfield needs freshening up. And it probably has for a while because none of our current midfielders have ever convinced me they're worthy of the adulation they get.

But at the same time, I do get why Jürgen has remained so loyal to them and continued to persist with them because they've served his system so well over the years.

Agreed.

But not having the right quality back up for a while to replace the likes of Fab and Hendo is probably why they're looking a little bit tired.

Couple more players like Bajcetic and we'll be fine.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #105: Jan 18, 2023 02:10:07 am
      Agreed.

But not having the right quality back up for a while to replace the likes of Fab and Hendo is probably why they're looking a little bit tired.

Jürgen said after tonight's game that a number of players have played their way into consideration for the Chelsea game. Bajcetic must be at or near the top of that list.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #106: Jan 18, 2023 09:56:38 am

Absolutely 100% they do Billy, however I think that loyalty has been paid for now, throughout our history we have been blessed with special players from different era’s, this one is the same, this Klopp team will go  down in history as one if not thee most exciting teams in footballing history never mind Liverpool’s, and those players will carry that with them until their dying breath,

Older generations still fondly remember Billy Liddle and those before him, who will ever forget Shanks, and the players he brought to Anfield, StJohn, Yates, Emlyn, Keegan, Toshack, Clemence, etc

‘Sir’ Bob brought us Kenny, Jocky, Souness, Ray Kennedy, Terry Mac, etc

Jürgen has brought in Mo, Mane, Bobby, Ali,  all of those players were/are legends and so too will some of Jürgen’s players, but each and every team built has a beginning and a end unfortunately and you know better than anyone this one has ended too, it’s done, and the rebuild is in progress right now as we type,

David Moores(RIP) didn’t have the spondoolies to take us into the new era, H&G we’re just Cnuts, and FSG have the dollars but won’t spend their own, so we’re kind of left in limbo while the new investors arrive or we have new custodians altogether,

It’s a sh*te state to be in, not the fault of Jürgen’s, I blame FSG for letting this happen, they could have made a exception to their mantra and perhaps lent the club the appropriate funds to allow the rebuild to have started two years ago, now it could take another two seasons for the new Liverpool to emerge, well at least two summer windows, and probably North of £275M,

No one can ever doubt Jürgen Klopp, those who do don’t have Liverpool in their hearts, we have been blessed with some of the best managers in history, Shankly, Paisley, Houllier, Benitez and now Jürgen Klopp, he’s in the middle of building his own history makers, we fans just need to be patient, take this spell of shittiness on the chin, accept it for what it is and give Jürgen and his troops all the support we can, like all great managers he will get it right and we will be feared all over again !!

IN Jürgen WE TRUST

Hope over Fear !! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Y  N  W  A
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #107: Jan 18, 2023 12:16:58 pm
      Agreed.

Aye I get that mate but I don't know how much worse our midfield is playing now to how they were performing when we won the Champions League/League and went for the quad. The difference being now that they're not being bailed out by the front three. The "malfunctioning midfield" thread was started in 2017, which shows how long we've had problems in the middle of the park. I just think it's more obvious this year that the midfield "need replacing" because those around them are underperforming so much more than in previous years.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #108: Jan 19, 2023 09:30:48 pm
      This squad minus Sane, Minamino and Origi played every possible game last season.

Our midfield was Henderson, Fahbino and Thiago.

Im not buying that he need MASSIVE changes 1 season later.

Only in the mind of Liverpool supporters can players be "DECLINING" AT THE AGE OF 31 (some of the most ridiculous stuff you will hear)

Meanwhile 31 year old Mahrez is on a hattrick as we speak

I'm thinking we need 2 players the most.

No need to a giant overhaul
      « Last Edit: Jan 19, 2023 09:52:33 pm by PastorGeek »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #110: Jan 22, 2023 09:35:29 pm

It reminds me a bit of that gerrard slip that cost us the title.
      The psychological impact that had on the team and the fans lasted for ages.

That’s why I don’t think we need a massive overhaul. Maybe 2 or 3 good players in the right positions.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #111: Jan 22, 2023 09:36:41 pm

Bound to have had an effect . Would imagine even worse had we not won it previously.  Mental fatigue definately an issue alongside other areas such as injuries .
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #112: Jan 22, 2023 10:02:50 pm
      May be some truth to what Thiago said but it's also an easy excuse and a pretty meagre one I'd say when you consider the extent of our decline.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #113: Jan 22, 2023 11:42:19 pm
      May be some truth to what Thiago said but it's also an easy excuse and a pretty meagre one I'd say when you consider the extent of our decline.

I also recall when we lost the final in Kiev. Jürgen said lets party anyway, then we came back straightaway and won it in Madrid.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #114: Jan 23, 2023 11:28:54 am
      Just read some article by some tinterweb fruad (sam torrance) not the golfer.

Fuk me the guy talks drivvel, opened up by saying sell milner now. !!!

the went on to say averagre performances are not good enough for LFC. pretty sure milner has hardly ever let us down, past 2 games have shown how valuable he is even at his age.

ok milner may move on in the summer, retire or go into coaching its all upto him.

Quick Reply