Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

So if it's called the English Football Leagues...

Read 3123 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      So if it's called the English Football Leagues...
      Dec 02, 2007 10:46:31 pm
      Just out of curiosity.

With absolutely no disrespect to any Welsh folk on the forum whatsoever.  It always gets me this.

If the Leagues are called 'The English Football League' why are teams like Swansea and Cardiff in them if they are teams from Wales & Wales have their own Leagues anyway?

It's always been a question that has gone unanswered for me.

I must say again absolutely no sh*t given to any Welsh fans.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Re: So if it's called the English Football Leagues...
      Reply #1: Dec 02, 2007 11:21:54 pm
      Good point.

Maybe Nicola might tell us why they like playing in leagues with us 'dirty English'.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #2: Dec 03, 2007 10:03:16 am
      This is something I was thinking about during the recent match with Cardiff. A lot of them came to the game singing anti English songs/chants, I thought this was a bit hypocritical surely teams like Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham need the English league? Could they survive in the League of Wales? One thing is true these teams need England more than England needs them. I'm not saying that all of their fans behave like this or have these views but I have seen Liverpool play all of these teams, Swansea and Wrexham were away games and there has always been a very vocal anti English element following each team.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Dec 03, 2007 02:57:56 pm
      I always feel that CH.  They chant anti English songs even though they play in our Leagues.

???

There's a few Welsh fans on the forum and I'd like to hear from them.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Dec 03, 2007 05:45:26 pm
      Hey :) Court - no offence taken mate. All I know is, when the leagues 'started up' or whatever, Cardiff and Swansea definitely, and I'm sure Wrexham must have - 'qualified' to be in the 'main league' - then the teams that didn't kindof started up a Welsh League. I'm pretty sure that's it. This Welsh League is (unfortunately) run by the FAW and is kinda crap to be honest!!

I think it's a bit racist to call it the English Leagues when there are 3 Welsh teams (soon to be 2 though it seems :( ) in it.

I don't chant many anti-English songs, I only join in with them if the opposing fans are singing 'Swing low' or 'God save the Queen' and then our fans chant back! I just join in for the fun to be honest - and to wind up the fans that are winding us up - fun banter is all it is in my eyes. Of course some fans go absolutely mental and then want to kill every opposing fan but I'm sure all clubs have those - just Cardiff have a bad rep  ::)

So basically.. yes Cardiff and Scumsea and Wrexham do need the English League, I just wish it had a different name to be honest, especially as there's 3 teams from Wales in it - not just the 1 struggling like Wrexham, Cardiff in the Championship, Scumsea high in League 1 and could soon be in the Championship. So Cardiff won't win the Prem in the next 50 years.. you never know after that do you :D

If it makes anyone feel better I hate Swansea City FC more than I hate any other team in the world..  :f_steam:
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #5: Dec 04, 2007 01:22:56 pm
      If I was a fan of one of the Welsh teams I think I'd actually prefer to be in the Welsh league, could get into Europe then.
      The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      Reply #6: Dec 04, 2007 01:38:39 pm
      Im surprised Everton haven't thought of that....

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #7: Dec 04, 2007 01:50:03 pm
      :D :D :D
      The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      Reply #8: Dec 04, 2007 01:57:46 pm

we could mention it at their AGM
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Dec 04, 2007 11:58:36 pm
      If I was a fan of one of the Welsh teams I think I'd actually prefer to be in the Welsh league, could get into Europe then.
      Did you know that the FAW could stop Cardiff getting into UEFA/Champs League (if we ever got there!!) if we got there by winning the league/coming high enough in the league because we are under them? Not that they would. But I'm sure it's possible. :o :o

I don't wanna be in the Welsh league. At least in this one, in the past year we have played Spurs twice (1 home 1 away) and Liverpool at Anfield once. Great experience for us like. In this league we get to play decent teams so we can realise how sh*t we really are, so get rid of our manager, our board, get a new manager in and an owner with money ££££, get a few decent players, win some games, do well in the league.. etc etc. Argh!! Being a City fan ATM is quite emotionally draining I can tell you that now :(
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #10: Dec 07, 2007 08:50:32 am
      Argh!! Being a City fan ATM is quite emotionally draining I can tell you that now :(

Still Swansea are riding at the top of the First Division so it's not all bad for Welsh Football. >:D
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #11: Dec 13, 2007 11:43:24 am

I'm sure Uncle Bill has thought of it! All in the best interest of the Blues of course!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #12: Dec 13, 2007 06:18:40 pm
      I'm sure Uncle Bill has thought of it! All in the best interest of the Blues of course!

They'll be moving to LLandudno next!..... ::)
      Cy
      Reply #13: Dec 13, 2007 07:01:09 pm
      One of the reason might be that The Welsh Premier League was born only in 1992, these clubs, Cardiff especially has (if I'm not mistaken ) ALWAYS played in the English league.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #14: Dec 14, 2007 09:58:27 am
      There has been a football League competition played in Wales from 1904, this was only rebranded in 1992 much like it was in England and Scotland (much earlier!). The Football Association of Wales was founded in 1876 and is the third oldest football association in the world. So the question still remains, why did the Welsh teams start playing in English Leagues? Back when this happened Scotland was a strong league and not the one that is dictated by the two Glasgow teams that we see now. But I've often wondered why Celtic and Rangers have never played the "well you let the Welsh teams in" card when they try to get into the Premier League! They would have a point, whats good for one should be good for all.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Dec 14, 2007 07:56:52 pm
      Still Swansea are riding at the top of the First Division so it's not all bad for Welsh Football. >:D
      Shows how easy League 1 is if they are top though.

So the question still remains, why did the Welsh teams start playing in English Leagues?

But I've often wondered why Celtic and Rangers have never played the "well you let the Welsh teams in" card when they try to get into the Premier League! They would have a point, whats good for one should be good for all.

So nobody listened to my answer..

I didn't know Celtic and Rangers had tried to get into the Leagues!

Quick Reply