Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Bought out by sports washing group.

Will you stand by Liverpool if?

Read 11995 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Will you stand by Liverpool if?
      Reply #115: Jan 27, 2023 02:26:50 pm
      So anti-American? Again which seems to be half the stupid F***ing argument on twitter. Which no proper fan really wants to get dragged into!!

Anti-American, far from it. They are in for the business, Middle East have money to splash.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #116: Jan 27, 2023 03:48:03 pm
      Anti-American, far from it. They are in for the business, Middle East have money to splash.

Fair point!
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #117: Jan 27, 2023 09:05:57 pm
      We all have to make decisions every day that are morally questionable. Most of us in the UK are sitting in houses heated by gas which probably comes from the middle east, we drive cars powered by middle east petrol and, as many have said, we buy products almost every day that have dubious origins.

But we need to have some principles, some things that are unacceptable to us. I bought a second hand phone, buy ethical or second hand clothes and ride a bike as much as possible. But I've still got to use many products that contribute to the problems in the world.

I've not answered the poll because I don't think any apply to me, it's not black and white. If the club gets bought by a middle east oil state my attachment to the club will start to die. It will not happen over night but it will fade. I'll watch less Liverpool games, go to my local league 1 team, focus more of my free time on non football stuff.

As a society we tolerate the dubious practices of the middle east states because we have created a society that is dependent on their oil. It's also true that we had a significant role in creating their societies through our historic and ongoing behaviour, including invading and killing them. Our dependence on oil and gas needs to stop. New petrol cars and gas boilers will be banned in the next 10 years in this country. Maybe in 15 years we'll be a lot less tolerant of the oil states behaviour. The EU investigation into alleged Quatari bribes might contribute to some changing attitudes.

10 years ago football clubs all wanted Russian money but that didn't last long. I was talking to an Arsenal fan recently and he reminded me that Usmanov owned a big chunk of that club. Most of the Arsenal fans wanted Kronke to sell up and f**k off. Would Arsenal be in a better place today with Usmanov as owner? They may have more trophies but they'd have less respect.

If the club get bought by an oil state we might have a few years of glory but I would prefer a club with long term stability and a club that still has a soul.

Keith- good thread.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #118: Jan 27, 2023 10:11:31 pm
      We all have to make decisions every day that are morally questionable. Most of us in the UK are sitting in houses heated by gas which probably comes from the middle east, we drive cars powered by middle east petrol and, as many have said, we buy products almost every day that have dubious origins.

But we need to have some principles, some things that are unacceptable to us. I bought a second hand phone, buy ethical or second hand clothes and ride a bike as much as possible. But I've still got to use many products that contribute to the problems in the world.

I've not answered the poll because I don't think any apply to me, it's not black and white. If the club gets bought by a middle east oil state my attachment to the club will start to die. It will not happen over night but it will fade. I'll watch less Liverpool games, go to my local league 1 team, focus more of my free time on non football stuff.

As a society we tolerate the dubious practices of the middle east states because we have created a society that is dependent on their oil. It's also true that we had a significant role in creating their societies through our historic and ongoing behaviour, including invading and killing them. Our dependence on oil and gas needs to stop. New petrol cars and gas boilers will be banned in the next 10 years in this country. Maybe in 15 years we'll be a lot less tolerant of the oil states behaviour. The EU investigation into alleged Quatari bribes might contribute to some changing attitudes.

10 years ago football clubs all wanted Russian money but that didn't last long. I was talking to an Arsenal fan  recently and he reminded me that Usmanov owned a big chunk of that club. Most of the Arsenal fans wanted Kronke to sell up and f**k off. Would Arsenal be in a better place today with Usmanov as owner? They may have more trophies but they'd have less respect.

If the club get bought by an oil state we might have a few years of glory but I would prefer a club with long term stability and a club that still has a soul.

Keith- good thread.

Thanks Gaz good post too but don’t tell Borg & London Red that.   ;D
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #119: Jan 28, 2023 01:58:05 am
      Here is another one that could come true at one point soon: if I see any ad sign (like from McDonalds or some insurance etc) right on the field of Anfield, done. You see this more and more, esp. in handball or basketball. We fans need standards of „till here and not one inch more“ or these globalists and merchants will pervert the game to the unrecognizable.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #120: Jan 28, 2023 09:04:28 am
      Here is another one that could come true at one point soon: if I see any ad sign (like from McDonalds or some insurance etc) right on the field of Anfield, done. You see this more and more, esp. in handball or basketball. We fans need standards of „till here and not one inch more“ or these globalists and merchants will pervert the game to the unrecognizable.

The game is almost unrecognisable to us older punters already.
      I do think, sometime in the near future, there’s gonna be a financial crash with the football top tiers. With the amount of money involved, increasing year on year, there has to be a ceiling. All good things come to an end, and I think that will include the football financial structure.
      As prices increase on transfers and wages, so do matchday tickets and replica shirts along with all the other franchise stuff. Fans will be priced out of the game, so what will it become ? A t.v. Sport .
      There’s gotta be a huge crash sooner or later, as only the four or five oil supported clubs will survive.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #121: Jan 28, 2023 10:11:20 am
      Clearly people will stand by their club unless something offends their own personal values.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #122: Jan 28, 2023 11:13:25 am

I do think, sometime in the near future, there’s gonna be a financial crash with the football top tiers. With the amount of money involved, increasing year on year, there has to be a ceiling. All good things come to an end, and I think that will include the football financial structure.
      As prices increase on transfers and wages, so do matchday tickets and replica shirts along with all the other franchise stuff. Fans will be priced out of the game, so what will it become ? A t.v. Sport .
      There’s gotta be a huge crash sooner or later, as only the four or five oil supported clubs will survive.

That's right and things just get less and less. For instance I bought some Jacob club biscuits, my favourites over the years and I swear the feckin' chocolate had been painted on.

Football will go the same way..first it'll be 10 men over 80 minutes...and before you know it you'll be paying £150 to watch a game of friggin blow football..

I'll get me coat..
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2023 11:25:34 am by Harrisimo »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #123: Jan 28, 2023 11:37:50 am

Had a McDonalds on the kop in the 90s!!
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #124: Jan 28, 2023 12:09:21 pm
      I can imagine a thread like this in the 80s where people say “if it ever comes to a time where our kick off times are moved just to accommodate tv schedules I’m off!”

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #125: Jan 28, 2023 12:11:07 pm
      I can imagine a thread like this in the 80s where people say “if it ever comes to a time where our kick off times are moved just to accommodate tv schedules I’m off!”

Too busy dodging bricks and darts back then!!
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #126: Jan 28, 2023 12:32:04 pm
      Too busy dodging bricks and darts back then!!

Sounds charming.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #127: Jan 28, 2023 01:25:24 pm
      I wonder how much of the concern is about the source of the funding as opposed to its effect on the competition. I suppose at the level of tens or hundreds of billions the money is hardly ever going to be squeaky clean but it is potentially very different if it's virtually unlimited wealth that has ultimately come from an authoritarian government regime actively responsible for egregious human rights abuses, compared with a commercial enterprise investing in sports to make a profit.

As others have said you can hardly live as an individual in the modern world without in some way your money contributing to the detriment of mankind (peoplekind?) so quite how a business is supposed to do the same isn't a reasonable expectation. It's the directness of the connection, the nature and extent of the issues involved and the efforts made to counter those problems that should be the questions people ask.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #128: Jan 28, 2023 03:23:06 pm

Sooner the better.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #129: Jan 29, 2023 12:13:21 pm

Well you brought it up!!

Do you not read about footy in the 80s?

As I said they wouldn''t of been arsed about stupid Internet shitbag arguments.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #130: Jan 29, 2023 12:33:01 pm
      Back in the day fans didn't care who owned the club. David Moores became Chairman in 1991. Curiously the Moores family were associated with Everton through Sir John Moores, the founder of Littlewoods Pools, who was in fact Davids uncle.

I suppose yer cud say it was Abramovich who kicked off the 'mega rich' interest in buying football clubs. Micheal Knighton had agreed to buy Mancheater United for the giveaway price of £20m. But he couldn't raise the dosh and ended up buying Carlisle U.

Now well football is a commodity, a brand, up for grabs, long since lost the real grassroots connection. Do the fans really care..mm..City and Newcastle fans don't look unhappy..
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #131: Jan 29, 2023 03:38:38 pm
      Actually I couldn’t care less about morals now. Iv changed my mind.
      I don’t care if our next owners are child trafficking homophobic slave owners who burn down orphanages. We need investment.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #132: Jan 29, 2023 03:42:55 pm
      Surely once a Red always a Red, even after today's dire performance !
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #133: Jan 29, 2023 04:28:57 pm
      Actually I couldn’t care less about morals now. Iv changed my mind.
      I don’t care if our next owners are child trafficking homophobic slave owners who burn down orphanages. We need investment.

Ooh! Controversial.  ;D
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #134: Jan 29, 2023 05:04:16 pm

In a league that has no morals and in a sport that is obsessed with money and greed iv changed my mind.
      If I wanted righteous things to follow I would go to church.
      For Liverpool to compete I would have lucifer as the owner.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #135: Jan 29, 2023 07:54:41 pm
      That's it, enough of this sh*t, get the Arabs in  :laugh: Part of me would hate this but the thought of some proper investment doesn't half make it tempting. The way the modern game is, the way the authorities have let it become, poses the dilemma of falling behind or joining the c*nts. Hopefully there is some kind of halfway house here where we don't go full on oligarch/oil state but still get the investment we need.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #136: Jan 29, 2023 07:58:43 pm
      That's it, enough of this sh*t, get the Arabs in  :laugh: Part of me would hate this but the thought of some proper investment doesn't half make it tempting. The way the modern game is, the way the authorities have let it become, poses the dilemma of falling behind or joining the c*nts. Hopefully there is some kind of halfway house here where we don't go full on oligarch/oil state but still get the investment we need.

Last couple of years I’ve felt the same way, sadly that’s what happens when your team goes through bad spells. The likes of yourselves and us lot! still need plenty of players to compete with City- Arsenal and soon to be Newcastle.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #137: Jan 29, 2023 08:04:52 pm
      You know what kills me the club doesn't have to chase superstars names like Bellingham and marquee signings. If other clubs can go to South America and sign gems for cheap, then why can't we do the same ? Heck even City signed Alvarez for 14 mill and they are an oil club.

This club is beyond shambles right now, I don't think we have a proper scouting team anymore. They just google who's the hottest marquee midfielder, fail to sign him and then do nothing.

Quick Reply